Qwerty and Trojan how viable is Panda's 8 year investment plan in Johns Creek

Qwerty,

Thanks for your insight.... Qwerty, you are a very smart guy and I can see your comments are well thought out. I don't plan to put all my eggs in one basket. The asset allocation I am striving for 2012 is 40% real estate, 40% in my small business, 20% in FOREX. I don't feel comfortable allocating too much in the stock market as when Bernanke pushes a green button stocks go up and when he pushes the red button, the stock market goes down. Atleast you can make your investment decision on real numbers when you are dealing with your small business and real estate.

qwerty said:
Panda said:
Qwerty and Trojan.... there are couple of homes i am looking at with the following specs. My strategy is simple. Buy one SFR every year from 2012 - 2020 with 20% down. Buy the cheapest, and the newest SFR in the best school cluster in GA, and buy and hold.

School District: Sharon Elementary: Rank #2 / 1176
                      RiverWatch Middle: Rank #3 / 479
                      Lambert High: Rank #7 / 400

SFR
Home price : $250,000
4 bed / 3 bath
2600 sq/ft : .25 acre
Rent: $1800 - $1900

I know i can get $1800 easily as the rental supply in the Lambert cluster is 1-2 months and I've seen the comps and time on market.

Numbers look like this:

Rent: $1800
Mortgage: $938.88 - 4.25% on 30 fixed on $200k
HOA: $50
Insurance : $50
Tax: $176.66

Cash Flow: $539.46
Annual cash flow $6473.52
12.9% cash on cash return on $50,000 invesment (20% of $250,000) with 0 appreciation.

What do you guys think? You think this is scaleable?

If we get an appreciation of 5% in JC - I am being conservative here with my numbers.

Appreciation: $12,500
amortization: $3383.67
Cash flow: $6473.52
Annual gain: $22,357.19 with $50,000 investment = Total of 45% ROI.

Trojan, I think i would totally suck as RE agent, but I can see myself doing something like this. :)  and maybe even flipping in the future.

My inspiration comes from the Irvine SFR my wife and her family lived in paying $1900/month back in 1996....
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/28-Foxhill-Irvine-CA-92604/25487946_zpid/

....oh.. also inspiration comes from my 2 fortune cookies.

15xqute.jpg

those numbers are impressive at first glance, however, i would recommend doing a more detailed cash flow calculation and include maintenance, vacancies, property mgmt fees (im guessing you wont want to deal with the headaches of being a landlord directly) as well as include the income tax components (deduct interest expense, depreciation of house only, not land, etc.) - in essence put together a true detailed P&L. Just so you have the most accurate P&L and set of cash flows available.  Taking your purchase prices and monthly rents at face value, the investments look pretty solid to me.  12.9% cash on cash returns are hard to beat.  the 30 year tbill rate is about 3.0, so you are earning almost 10% above the risk free rate. I would use 3% for the appreciation, i believe that is the national long-term average, i think that tracks with inflation. Still an overall imressive ROI. 

Here are my comments:

1 - i would not rely on any appreciation for the purpose of this investment, which is fine because you still have a 12.9% cash on cash (COC) return - about 10% above the risk free rate. if you do get appreciation that is just gravy. i guess the COC return will be lower once you factor in maintenance/property mgmt, etc.
2 - the equity build up is good but this can potentially evaporate, be responsible with it.
2 - do you think those rents are sustainable over the long-term? you have a decent cushion on a monthly basis to absorb any downward pressure on rents so you are probably ok
3 - if it is that much cheaper to buy (about 500/month), why would people rent instead of buying. Im guessing you have a good handle on the demographics (people lacking down payments, etc) and believe there will always be a good pool of renters.
4 - im guessing you will have enough cash reserves to cover personal expenses for an extended period of time as well as having multiple properties vacant for periods of time.
5 - are you going to tie up alot of your capital in this?  if interest rates rise, the return on tbills will improve and decent returns may be available with no risk, making your real estate investment less appealing. i guess what im saying here is dont put all of your eggs in one basket.

overall its sounds like a pretty decent plan to me assuming you are comfortable with 1-5 above - looks like you are investing in real estate the old school way, by using fundamentals and other peoples money. Or you can just give your money over to USC and he can give you 20% returns trading options. ive thought about doing something similar to you back home where im from, but dont want to deal with the hassles of being a landlord. Good luck man. Keep us posted on your Trump like empire to be.

To the financing question, getting multiple loans locked at a low interest rate, and at a 20 year or lower amortization term, is what I'd start out with. 5-6 good rentals first. Perhaps venturing into bulk asset sales of REO inventory which is coming this year.  After that on to a series of 5-10 unit buildings. Yes, you'll have management expenses. Yes, you'll have a higher interest rate, but finally yes, you can drop all of these larger units into an LLC or some other form of ownership that lowers your risk profile. 40% invested into a non-liquid asset class seems pretty high to me, but then again my risk tolerance may be a bit thinner than yours.

My .02c

Soylent Green is People

Soylent Green Is People said:
40% invested into a non-liquid asset class seems pretty high to me, but then again my risk tolerance may be a bit thinner than yours.

By all appearances, it looks and sounds like a death trap.

But I don't know the local market in Johns Creek, I could be missing the potential upside there.

IndieDev.

Here is brief profile of Johns Creek.

23% Asian - grew from 13% - 23% in 4 years
Medium income is $136k, 16% of JC households make over $200k.
Wealthiest city in Georgia and 9th wealthiest city nationally compared to cities with a population base of 70,000+
#1 high school in the State is Northview High, Northview High is one of 3 high schools in JC.
Many fortune companies moving down here from the midwest due to favorable taxes

Only three MSA reached population growth over a 1million from 2000 - 2010: Dallas, Houston and Atlanta. LA MSA only grew 400k from 2000 - 2010 according to census.gov.

IndieDev said:
40% invested into a non-liquid asset class seems pretty high to me, but then again my risk tolerance may be a bit thinner than yours.

But I don't know the local market in Johns Creek, I could be missing the potential upside there.

Panda said:
IndieDev.

Medium income is $136k
Wealthiest city in Georgia and 9th wealthiest city nationally with a population of 70,000+
#1 high school in the State is Northview High, Northview High is one of 3 high schools in JC.

IndieDev said:

That sounds like a great city.

Is part of your hunch that JC is going to become the Irvine of the South?

I'm just not sure about an "SFR rental cash flow to equity sale" plan.

Even in Vegas where I think the rental pool is higher than Johns Creek... the sheer volume of available/distressed inventory is worrisome.

It also seems like you're trying to time a bubble... and we know how that can work.

You indicate a number for cash flow rental and 1-2 month supply... but how solid are those renters? What's the rate of turnover? How is unemployment in JC?

I hated renting out just 2 homes... I can't imagine managing eight... can't you just put your $1mil into a McD's franchise Mr. Lin?

Yes! Yes! Yes! :)

Johns Creek is baby Irvine, is only 6 years old.. :) City was incorporated in 2006 while Irvine is 41 years old full grown adult born in 1971. :)

IndieDev said:
Panda said:
IndieDev.

Medium income is $136k
Wealthiest city in Georgia and 9th wealthiest city nationally with a population of 70,000+

IndieDev said:

That sounds like a great city.

Panda said:
IndieDev said:

Johns Creek is baby Irvine, is only 6 years old.. :) City was incorporated in 2006 while Irvine is 41 years old full grown adult born in 1971. :)
See... and hence my doubts.

Panda should still use the screen name "Panda Dreaming of Irvine".

....But Panda is not dreaming of Irvine. :) IHO, you buy your 3CGW in Irvine with a jumbo loan, after 30 years of hard work.. you will still have a jumbo loan on your Irvine house that is 30 years older with all your savings in this dead equity.

This path will never take you where your passive income will replace your annual salary of $150k - 200k/year.

irvinehomeowner said:
Panda said:
IndieDev said:

See... and hence my doubts.

Panda should still use the screen name "Panda Dreaming of Irvine".

I remember when Panda used a 2ndary name on the IHB forum and wanted to know if he should take all the equity out of his house and put it into gold while housing was still kinda high and he can get a 2nd mortgage.  That was in 2008?...Anyway, if he had done it back then when gold was only US$900...he would be better off now.

He was right back then, but I told him it was too risky on that post.

He is probably right about this investment too.  Don't bet against the panda.

Panda might come back and buy the dream 3CWG Irvine mansion IHO has been coveting. Then the sh*t would really hit the fan.

Panda said:
....But Panda is not dreaming of Irvine. :)
Yes you are... you are dreaming if you think Johns Creek = Irvine.
IHO, you buy your 3CGW in Irvine with a jumbo loan, after 30 years of hard work.. you will still have a jumbo loan on your Irvine house that is 30 years older with all your savings in this dead equity.
Are you still asleep dreaming? 30 years later... that loan is paid off. And with inflation, that will be more than just dead equity. As for my savings, they goes towards investments... not just a mortgage... so they'll be okay too.
This path will never take you where your passive income will replace your annual salary of $150k - 200k/year.
We each have our own path. Mine is different from yours... I'm going for the traditional "build a business, get bought out and retire early" path, let's revisit in 10 years and see who is where.

irvinehomeowner said:
We each have our own path. Mine is different from yours... I'm going for the traditional "build a business, get bought out and retire early" path, let's revisit in 10 years and see who is where.

This sounds like a challenge!!  IHO - are you self employed? Panda appear to be self employed. Lets see who gets bought out first.

This is an exciting battle.

Here's how I see it.

Panda - Motivated family guy who has a solid business plan supported by good looking numbers on paper. He made a good financial decision not to go all in on an overpriced Irvine stucco box, that shows acumen.

irvinehomeowner - Thinks that Irvine is unicorn land, that indicates a misunderstanding of fundamentals. If this misunderstanding of the housing market reflects his understanding of early stage startups, this could mean trouble.

I see Panda winning by slowly building his base of capital, and eventually his investment pays off with either fairly stable income from prime rental properties, or he eventually sells his asset base off and rolls it into other investments.

IHO in the meanwhile will struggle to get seed funding in this tight investment environment, and even though he could self fund his startup to get it off the ground, he spent all his money on an over valued 3CWG home in Irvine. This lack of capital stifles the growth of his startup and it eventually dies off.

Of course, it could easily go the other way depending on the Johns Creek market, and if IHO is able to get Series A funding because his startup is awesome, and Ashton Kutcher finds out about it on Twitter, and decides to fund him.

I can't wait to see who wins.  :D

I vote for Panda because Irvine is not sustainable due to artificially hyped up land value. Irvine's $3.5 m/acre is not a sustainable model lacking god given assets like water, view, Coastal climate, topography and scenic features. Although some believe that Irvine has her own god and his creations of strip malls, business parks and stagnant ponds could substitute for the real things.

IHO by then will still wonder where the third car went to.

You guys misunderstand my path.

Although I do own my own business... that's not where I'm focusing. I hope that where I'm currently at will continue to grow and either through a buyout or going public, my stock ownership will skyrocket and I can exit the rat race... and probably get out of Irvine too and stalk Indie at his coastal digs.

In 10+ years, the kids will be off to college, we can downsize... I'll rent/cash out the Irvine home... find a place with a view and concentrate on my MMA career.

And because I know this particular industry, its needs and my team is instrumental in our product development, I would hope it's more than just luck. I missed that boat once 15 years ago... not going to miss it again.

@Panda: Don't get me wrong... I didn't say I would be better off than you in 10 years... I just said let's see where we're at. You're the one who said my life is going nowhere in Irvine... I just said I have doubts about your real estate endeavor and your comparison of Johns Creek to Irvine.

IHO, you know i am just playing with you right? We all know true happiness does not come from how much money you have but the true evaulation of success comes from how much your spouse and children love you and how many close friends and family you have near you. You are probably way ahead of the game in this area than me as I moved here without knowing a soul. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
You guys misunderstand my path.

Although I do own my own business... that's not where I'm focusing. I hope that where I'm currently at will continue to grow and either through a buyout or going public, my stock ownership will skyrocket and I can exit the rat race... and probably get out of Irvine too and stalk Indie at his coastal digs.

In 10+ years, the kids will be off to college, we can downsize... I'll rent/cash out the Irvine home... find a place with a view and concentrate on my MMA career.

And because I know this particular industry, its needs and my team is instrumental in our product development, I would hope it's more than just luck. I missed that boat once 15 years ago... not going to miss it again.

@Panda: Don't get me wrong... I didn't say I would be better off than you in 10 years... I just said let's see where we're at. You're the one who said my life is going nowhere in Irvine... I just said I have doubts about your real estate endeavor and your comparison of Johns Creek to Irvine.

Panda has a goal of 10M net worth in 10 years w/ 40% in real estate. Buying 1 250k home for the next 10 years, panda is expecting homes to double to give 3M in equity...the last 1M (10%) in real estate coming from current real estate holdings. Just don't see a double up happening nor do I believe in johns creek.

Yet still voting for panda...3-0.

Panda called me smart and IHO argues with me about the impact rising interest rates will have on irvine prices. 

Panda 4-0!

Back