Proposed cemetery near Great Park and the new Irvine 5th high school

irvinehomeshopper said:
I feel sorry for many of you living in a less ideal home because of a resale to a FCB. Why do everyone think they will sell their home when you all agree Irvine is heaven. Why move? Wouldn't you want to live in your home forever?

Thank you for your pity. Irvine isn't heaven, but it is where tall office buildings are concentrated in which we work. Proximity to jobs is its best feature.

I couldn't care less about FS but I do care about resale so that impacted certain decisions I made, and I've seen how it has impacted resale in the past.  Regarding the proposed cemetery, even though I'm not superstitious, I would never buy near a cemetery.  That's my own personal preference. 

abcd1234 said:
Downsize- what is the bad FS regarding palm trees?  If you knew it- why didn't you just cut it down?

Wonder if ithe palm tree is located directly in front of the front door. 

Big tree located in the front yard blocking the main front door is a big no no for FS.

Perspective said:
DrTravel said:
All home purchasers have different priorities when evaluating a home's layout and location. For person X one feature is a must have, to person Y this same feature is a deal breaker (i.e. downstairs bedroom, north facing front door etc.). Same goes for location and the surrounding area (i.e. proximity to freeways, mountains, which neighborhood). The point of this thread is the individual's view on the location of a cemetery - it's a personal decision for whatever reason. Do I believe in Feng Shui and if not, are the believers wrong? In both instances, it DOESN'T matter. The FACT is that for a majority of the current potential buyer pool (most who don't look at this forum, even less who care what its members post and, most importantly, actually purchase homes!) the location of the proposed cemetery is an issue and all potential buyers have to at least consider this fact. Again whether it's important to YOU is your personal choice and your opinions of others opinions/belief systems doesn't matter.

The real question should be, will this proposed cemetery ever get built? It was a recommendation by one council member (who is no longer there) and is definitely not a done deal. There has already been opposition to the cemetery at city meetings and petition drives started - is there the political will the see it through? Then there's the little issue of funding - both governmental and private. Will 5 Points evaluate their potential financial impact and do whatever it takes to stop it? Will there be a ballot initiative in Irvine to stop this project dead (pun intended)? Examine other new cemeteries and their approval process. It wasn't an easy task, took a long time, and many didn't make it. Who knows, maybe this cemetery will finally open in 2035 when many of the current posters might want to get buried there?! Let's keep it civil... 

The only problem I have with this reasoning, are the false comparisons. People who have preferences (proximity to amenities they value, distance from things they dislike, house features, etc.) can typically provide a reasonable logical argument why they have this preference. This is impossible with the hundreds of FS preferences directly related to housing. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Please share a source supporting the argument that "the majority of Beacon Park, or Irvine, buyers are FS believers." This is just a theory, but I think most prospective Irvine buyers are simply aware of FS superstitions, and are afraid FS "problems" with any house will devalue the house; and they're not interested in hearing from friends and family who visit the house about how horrible any FS problem is, repeatedly.

As much as you bash people for following superstition (including FS), I would argue that you are illogical for asking for a logical reason to something which is by definition illogical.  Hence the point of you asking people to explain themselves is pointless.  Again, at the end of the day, its personal preference.  There is no point in asking anyone to explain themselves, because at the end of the day what good is that to you or anyone else on this thread?  Furthermore who made the rule that personal preference should have any logic behind it? 

Perspective said:
If you're worried about future resale value being discounted due to a cemetery nearby (what is the critical distance anyway?), then wouldn't the current price be discounted due to a cemetery nearby? You'd be getting a deal today, offsetting the lower sale value later, no?

I dont believe in FS so I couldnt tell you the distance.  However I would argue that the original poster may not have known there was a cemetery being built.  Furthermore since the cemetery is not yet built, the current price may not be discounted. 

bones said:
Irvine Dream said:
Ready2Downsize said:
So we decided to sell our house instead of rent it out and FS was a HUGE issue us and it was a major problem for my neighbor who eventually took their house off the market.
Congrats on your sale.

Nice edit. The stalk is strong with you :) :) :) :)
What can I do, it was right there for the picking.  But I like R2D, hence..

I hope the petition gets released on the web. I want to see who signed it.

#imageandperceptioniseverything

irvinehomeshopper said:
I feel sorry for many of you living in a less ideal home because of a resale to a FCB. Why do everyone think they will sell their home when you all agree Irvine is heaven. Why move? Wouldn't you want to live in your home forever?

People move and sell their home for all sorts of reasons, many times not of their own choosing. It maybe a job transfer, illness, divorce or whatever. Even if I don't plan to sell my house now, it doesn't mean I'm okay with a drop in value or having to struggle to sell if that day should come. I'd definitely want to have a say in anything that affects that.

Different people react differently to living in close proximity to death.  For some, it is a depressing reminder of their own mortality.  For others, it is positive encouragement to live life to the fullest.

hello said:
Perspective said:
DrTravel said:
All home purchasers have different priorities when evaluating a home's layout and location. For person X one feature is a must have, to person Y this same feature is a deal breaker (i.e. downstairs bedroom, north facing front door etc.). Same goes for location and the surrounding area (i.e. proximity to freeways, mountains, which neighborhood). The point of this thread is the individual's view on the location of a cemetery - it's a personal decision for whatever reason. Do I believe in Feng Shui and if not, are the believers wrong? In both instances, it DOESN'T matter. The FACT is that for a majority of the current potential buyer pool (most who don't look at this forum, even less who care what its members post and, most importantly, actually purchase homes!) the location of the proposed cemetery is an issue and all potential buyers have to at least consider this fact. Again whether it's important to YOU is your personal choice and your opinions of others opinions/belief systems doesn't matter.

The real question should be, will this proposed cemetery ever get built? It was a recommendation by one council member (who is no longer there) and is definitely not a done deal. There has already been opposition to the cemetery at city meetings and petition drives started - is there the political will the see it through? Then there's the little issue of funding - both governmental and private. Will 5 Points evaluate their potential financial impact and do whatever it takes to stop it? Will there be a ballot initiative in Irvine to stop this project dead (pun intended)? Examine other new cemeteries and their approval process. It wasn't an easy task, took a long time, and many didn't make it. Who knows, maybe this cemetery will finally open in 2035 when many of the current posters might want to get buried there?! Let's keep it civil... 

The only problem I have with this reasoning, are the false comparisons. People who have preferences (proximity to amenities they value, distance from things they dislike, house features, etc.) can typically provide a reasonable logical argument why they have this preference. This is impossible with the hundreds of FS preferences directly related to housing. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Please share a source supporting the argument that "the majority of Beacon Park, or Irvine, buyers are FS believers." This is just a theory, but I think most prospective Irvine buyers are simply aware of FS superstitions, and are afraid FS "problems" with any house will devalue the house; and they're not interested in hearing from friends and family who visit the house about how horrible any FS problem is, repeatedly.

As much as you bash people for following superstition (including FS), I would argue that you are illogical for asking for a logical reason to something which is by definition illogical.  Hence the point of you asking people to explain themselves is pointless.  Again, at the end of the day, its personal preference.  There is no point in asking anyone to explain themselves, because at the end of the day what good is that to you or anyone else on this thread?  Furthermore who made the rule that personal preference should have any logic behind it?

I've never asked for a logical reason. I'm asking for ANY reason. Is it simply bad luck? Will it hasten your death? What is the result of living near a cemetery?

[/quote]

This is the most sensible post on this thread. Home purchase is a very important decision. So everyone is entitled to their beliefs, opinions and preferences - logic or no logic.

Perspective said:
hello said:
Perspective said:
DrTravel said:

I've never asked for a logical reason. I'm asking for ANY reason. Is it simply bad luck? Will it hasten your death? What is the result of living near a cemetery?

Well, whenever I drive by Fairhaven Memorial Park, I think, it's such a beautiful place in a rather dense area.  Big open grass cover fields inter spaced with 80'ft tall shade trees, some nice statutes, a well made low slung building.  Then I remember, there is several thousand body's just a few feet down...  Boy those grass and trees look nice and green and well fertilized.  Which reminds me I have a chore waiting and should probably turn the compost bin when I get home.

And who wants to be reminded of chores.

do you want to live next to dead bodies?  Most would say no.  Why don't we just let our kids play around cemeteries?  Have picnics?  Pretty easy to see why people wouldn't want it near where they live.. but if you have to ask.. I guess we can ask about everything else that might bother people if they lived near it. 

freedomcm said:
Actually, in much of the world, cemeteries are picnic grounds and places to stroll and play.

There are some places.. but much of the world?  come on.

jmoney74 said:
do you want to live next to dead bodies?  Most would say no.  Why don't we just let our kids play around cemeteries?  Have picnics?  Pretty easy to see why people wouldn't want it near where they live.. but if you have to ask.. I guess we can ask about everything else that might bother people if they lived near it.

Wait! What?!? They're gonna stack corpses in the Beacon Park streets next to homes and let them decompose naturally? That's insane. Where's the petition. I'll sign it!

Perspective said:
Wait! What?!? They're gonna stack corpses in the Beacon Park streets next to homes and let them decompose naturally? That's insane. Where's the petition. I'll sign it!

Now you're getting it. No matter how illogical or insane your reason is you are entitled to it. You've earned the right to your insanity.

eatthis said:
Perspective said:

Now you're getting it. No matter how illogical or insane your reason is you are entitled to it. You've earned the right to your insanity.

if you are paying 7 figures a house in Beacon park, you certainly are illogical and insane and you certainly earned a right to be that way...

Back