Privacy trees

stromung said:
By the way I do live in Stonegate and we can't have fruit trees (yet).
What do you mean by "yet"?

Is there some HOA rule against fruit trees in Stonegate for the next few years?

ps9 said:
is this oleander?

null_zps95f2f2f6.jpg" height="400" width="300"

Yes that's one of the oleanders.

Crap, that's what I thought, gonna have the gardeners remove it next time.  Got dogs on both sides.

stromung said:
I was under the impression that we can not have fruit tree at all in Stonegate.

Dwarf fruit trees are allowed.  They don't grow more than 8-10ft.  If you're looking for something that'll grow 25ft, you'll never get that approved.  Or some neighbor will have you cut it down once it gets that high.  Something that big will have pretty invasive roots and could damage the common wall unless you put a root barrier to contain it but if you do that you'll never get it that size.

stromung said:
To Broda

How about placentia walnut tree?

I just looked that tree up and it grows up to 30ft.  Haha...that'll never fly.  From what I know from my landscaper and around the hood, HOA doesn't want your tree to grow more than a couple free above the wall line. 

You might still be able to get these trees approved if the HOA approval chick has no idea what that tree is...but I heard she is pretty crazy in terms of shooting everything down. 

Talk to whoever is doing your landscaping...they have ways of getting things past the HOA if you're really adamant on getting a specific tree.

Broda

Walnut tree maybe is a no no because it falls under fruit tree and it's not dwarf.  Have you seen stonegate HOA policy guidelines?  Many trees listed are more than 30ft when mature.  Are you saying that it only apply to the resident in Maricopa and above but not to the detached condo owner?

I am also interested in a tree/shrub for our backyard. We have a planter that abuts our back wall (I will try to measure the planter), but is right next to our pool. The prior owner had several trees in that planter, but that tree was shedding trees and fruits into the pool like there was no tomorrow. As such, we had those trees cut down and removed. Now that we've been in the house for about 3-4 months, we are realizing that it would be nice to have something in that planter so that (a) we are not limited to looking at that back wall and (b) we can have a bit of privacy from our neighbors.

This may be impossible to find, but we are looking for some sort of plant/tree/shrub that (1) will grow tall enough to provide us with some privacy, (2) will not have roots that will go insane and eventually damage the planter and/or the pool, and (3) will not excessively shed into the pool

In addition, we probably need a landscape architect (or some other type of expert) to assist us with this project (as the planter needs some sort of irrigation system). If you have any recommendations as to plants, as well as a landscaper, that would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. in case this information helps, my best estimate is that the planter is about 5 feet tall x 4 feet deep, and that the wall is another 7 feet above the planter. We also live in Northwood, in a neighborhood w/ no HOA's

stromung said:
Broda

Walnut tree maybe is a no no because it falls under fruit tree and it's not dwarf.  Have you seen stonegate HOA policy guidelines?  Many trees listed are more than 30ft when mature.  Are you saying that it only apply to the resident in Maricopa and above but not to the detached condo owner?

HOA has said a lot in its policy and changed it.  Where it was once approved they changed their minds and are no longer approving.  So it's possible you can get it approved, I'm just going based on what my neighbors have said.  If your landscaper has done a number of homes in the community they would know what they can get away with or not.  I did find they have Semi-dwarf Howard Walnut Trees which might work well.

Back