Privacy trees

stromung

Hello

Do you guys have recommendation for privacy trees that do not like shrub at all?  i live in a sardines can community where my back, left, right neighboors are very close.

You didn't mention where you want the tree.  If it's for your front yard, you'll need a tree most likely, but if it's for the backyard around your fence or at a corner of your yard, the Purple Hopseed bush is extremely fast growing (mine has grown to around 10 feet in less than 2 years and looks like a tree), has beautiful change of colors and importantly is drought tolerant.  We planted 3 purple hopseed bushes at one corner of our yard to block out a neighbor in back and it's completely private.
http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/1062/purple-hopseed-bush.php

Yep... trees have invasive roots that can mess up plumbing, fences, pavers, slabwork... and in "sardine cans", that would be problematic.

I'm planning on putting in some dwarf fruit trees.  They grow to about 6ft and provide a pretty good cover.

It's Stonegate HOA approved according to the landscapers.

Tyler Durden said:
^^^Happens a lot.  There's a guy in my neighborhood who put in huge palm trees and giant birds of paradise and is fighting with the HoA about it now.  They want him to remove them as they are specifically listed in the landscaping guidelines as non applicable for "trees".

There are other folks who want to put in Canary island palms and got shot down:

Phoenix_canariensis2.jpg

as bones mentioned - you probably should take a drive around and see what others in your neighborhood have done to create privacy as well as discussing it here with other residents of your neigborhood.

What's wrong with palm trees and birds of paradise?  They're everywhere in my neighborhood.

I hate that 2 trees in the front rule...I live off the street and there is already an association maintained pepper tree out front...that should count as one, right?

Tyler Durden said:
Still waiting on my mango's and lychees - I'm hopeful for next year as the trees have been in now for a while and have shown signs of taking off in their growth.  Unfortunately these are also only 5 gal trees  :'(

I was given a lychee tree as a gift, but I'm afraid to stick in the ground since I'm afraid of the root system.  My backyard setup basically has a 2 foot perimeter of soil bordering the left, right, and rear wall.  I would have to plant it within 2 feet of the wall and hardscape.  Any thoughts on this? 

Tyler

About the model homes plants that are not on the list, u r right about it, I thought I read somewhere that says builder has the right for planting it due to sales purpose, if i am not mistaken.t

bones said:
ICan these go in planters?  I did fruit trees in planters and it was great.  They fruited every year and was easy to maintain.

It's in a pot right now and been there for 3 months or so.  Tree doesn't look like it's doing too well so I thought about dropping it in the ground.  Problem is all the houses around me have big trees are is blocking the sun for getting to my little lychee tree.  I'll take a pic tomorrow to see if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve the growth.

Attachments

• IMG_1535-.png
    IMG_1535-.png
    983.6 KB · Views: 238
Definitely don't buy oleander.  It's poisonous to dogs and cats as well.  Also, they can give hives or other skin reactions (and kids have especially sensitive skin) without the extreme of actually consuming the plant.

so if a young kid touched the plant by accident and touched their face and eyes you'd still not care?  wow...

Could be your friend's kids. 
If you had a kid- would you plant an oleander in your home?

Tyler- I am bored of this topic.  Move on. 

To the original poster:  You have mentioned you have a small yard.  If you have limited space- try at least do what you want (privacy)- but also to make a statement in the backyard with something attractive. Here on TI everyone is talking about having a brand new home and discussing the latest trends in kitchen tiles, flooring, etc.  Wouldn't you want that for the landscaping?  Putting in oleander is akin to putting crappy white kitchen tiles for your countertops.  Oleander is not what's in today's landscaping trends.  So if not for toxicity- also consider it is a very common plant- nothing but ordinary. 

Move along Tyler.  Move along.  Seems like you always want the last word in.  I'll let you have it if it makes you feel better.

Guys,
Sorry for the late reply. 
I need privacy trees for my rear and right side.  My backyard from side to side it is 42 ft.  From my trellies to the common wall is 12 ft.  All these with 2 or 3 ft restriction from the common wall.  My backyard get sun from morning until late afternoon.  After searching for privacy trees, I now don't really like them because they look straight forward and boring looking, so I am looking more like a tree that has dense canopy or tropical looking shrubs (20-25ft tall).  By the way I do live in Stonegate and we can't have fruit trees (yet).

I like you guys all and appreciate all your input, please no more argument.

Back