Post Close Work on New Home

I wasn't here when they did the job (wife was home), and TBH I didn't ask since the floor looked fine minus the few issues I mentioned earlier in the thread.  But the floor looks evenly coated, and when they came back, they sanded and then re-clear coated and fixed any spots that weren't smooth or bubbled up during the curing process.

Goriot said:
akkord said:
eyephone said:
akkord said:
Here are the pictures of the garage, don't mind the mess, still in the process of organizing everything.  Couple of pictures of the epoxy issue that I had.

How much did you pay?

Epoxy was 1630, they would not budge no matter how much I haggled (I think they would have given me a % discount if I did a bigger job with them, but the quote for cabinets was much cheaper through Cabinets Plus). 

Our Tustin home, I believe had Cabinet Plus cabinets in them when I looked at the design there and compared to the design in our current home.  They held up fine through all the abuse we've put it through even though it did look like Premier Garage had better material.  I also got $25 back when I split the referral fee with another TI member.

How many layers of coating on the Epoxy for that price? 2?

Hazelnut007 said:
Definitely DIYable. I have done it in past. Slightly more than simple roller and paint though. Remove dust, wash, dry, etch, dry, paint, dry, second coat paint.

My co-worked did his garage himself - he compared it to his neighbors which was professionally done and he did say his neighbors looked better.  I asked if he would ever pay someone to do it, he said if it was in the 700-800 range he would, but anything higher he'd do it himself again.

If you're in a new development, you can probably ask the sub contractors working on the new homes to see if they'll do it for you after their shift or on their day off.  You can buy and provide the materials.  There was a TI member that went this route and they charged him a couple hundred for the labor. 

akkord said:
Hazelnut007 said:
Definitely DIYable. I have done it in past. Slightly more than simple roller and paint though. Remove dust, wash, dry, etch, dry, paint, dry, second coat paint.

My co-worked did his garage himself - he compared it to his neighbors which was professionally done and he did say his neighbors looked better.  I asked if he would ever pay someone to do it, he said if it was in the 700-800 range he would, but anything higher he'd do it himself again.

If you're in a new development, you can probably ask the sub contractors working on the new homes to see if they'll do it for you after their shift or on their day off.  You can buy and provide the materials.  There was a TI member that went this route and they charged him a couple hundred for the labor.

The materials is not expensive right?

300-500 from what I remember my co-worker telling me, depends on how big the garage is, also note to do it right you should clean/grind the garage floor, believe you can rent floor grinders at HD, but I've never looked into it.

eyephone said:
akkord said:
Hazelnut007 said:

The materials is not expensive right?

Still not understanding the need to make the garage floor look nice when your cars are parked on top of them most of the time.

irvinehomeowner said:
Still not understanding the need to make the garage floor look nice when your cars are parked on top of them most of the time.

A lot of people still like to keep it clean. Easier to sweep up

Oil stains and tire marks over time makes the garage feel icky.
I don't have it now, but next garage will have it.

wbresident said:
Any update on more completed Post Close Work?

Current to do is still the same from my initial post. The builder provided us cabinets in the laundry room, so 1 thing off the list. I feel like the only thing I really need done now is landscaping, everything else is nice to have.

I cancelled the remaining work I had with Johnny Electric and spoke with the owner of IML to finish the work on the undercabinet LED lighting.

Had another thread going and linked Alexa to my Haiku fans so majority of my lights and all my ceiling fans can now be voice activated.

irvinehomeowner said:

The garage is an extension of the home, they need to have nice floors. And my car is like family to me, it needs a nice space to rest to ensure ultimate performance on the road :)

I think our neighborhood is 50/50. Some very nice garages, some look like crap. But it's rare to find nice garages and people that actually park IN their garages

Paris said:
irvinehomeowner said:

The garage is an extension of the home, they need to have nice floors. And my car is like family to me, it needs a nice space to rest to ensure ultimate performance on the road :)

I think our neighborhood is 50/50. Some very nice garages, some look like crap. But it's rare to find nice garages and people that actually park IN their garages

Now I just wanna know what Aqua has in his garage!

I spend a ton of time in the garage, most than more people for sure so having a nice and clean garage is of upmost importance.

Paris said:

If this were true, 3CWGs would have never gone extinct.

If more people actually parked in their garage, they wouldn't epoxy them. Most of the people I know who do that, don't park on that expensive flooring.

B2FiNiTY said:
I spend a ton of time in the garage, most than more people for sure so having a nice and clean garage is of upmost importance.

Now I'm curious...why do you spend so much time in the garage?

IHO not true, I get epoxy because I DO park my car in the garage.  ;D And the ugly tire marks and oil stains can easily wipe off with Epoxy.

@Paris:

But if you park in your garage, you can't even see the tire marks or ugly oil stains (and if you have oil stains, you need to see a mechanic).

The funny thing is, in all the garages I've owned, none really had any "tire marks". You have to be peeling out or skidding into your garage to put down any serious markings.

irvinehomeowner said:
@Paris:

But if you park in your garage, you can't even see the tire marks or ugly oil stains (and if you have oil stains, you need to see a mechanic).

The funny thing is, in all the garages I've owned, none really had any "tire marks". You have to be peeling out or skidding into your garage to put down any serious markings.

I've got huge tires and massive brakes so it creates some tire marks and brake dust.  So I guess I buy myself epoxy  ;D

Paris said:
irvinehomeowner said:

What is the deal with not parking in the garage? Folks would rather have a car or two in the driveway and one in front of their house, than park in the garage. Very odd to me.

I will always park my cars in the garage. Even with two young kids (both who need car seats, etc), we park both of our cars in the garage (despite the fact that you can't actually put both kids in the car with the car seats without really pulling out of the garage slightly.  But still, it is our garage and it is nice having the cars in there.  I do wish that they made 2 car garages slightly wider given we don't have 3 car garages anymore. I think that would be a nice compromise (so people with young kids could legitimately get their kids in the cars without having to pull out (minor ask...I know).  Plus cars these days are wider, etc. 

I do like how I've noticed quite a few more new homes adding at least a little "storage" space to the garages (which is quite nice).

Back