Post Close Work on New Home

akkord

Just wondering what other's have done.  This is what I've done so far.

1. Garage cabinets - used Cabinets Plus and had no issues
2. Garage epoxy - used Premier Garage and they came out to fix/look at all my concerns after it cured
3. Recessed lighting - adding lights to all bedrooms, living room - using Install My Lights in a couple of weeks - will update with how it goes
4. Ceiling fans - also using Install my Lights (bought Haiku fans - will provide a review once they are in)
5. Under Cabinet LED Lighting - using Johnny Electric (so far my experience with them hasn't been good) - we'll see how Johnny addresses my concerns
6. Shutters/Shades - using Shutter Heaven with Norman Clearview Shutters and Hunter Douglass Shades, install scheduled for about a week from now, thus far their customer service and communication has been exceptional

To Do List:
1. Landscaping
2. Cabinet Hardware
3. Flooring (in a few years after the current carpet gets worn)
4. Whole house water filter/water softener?
5. Frame out bathroom mirrors/update bathroom light fixtures
6. Barnyard type door for the master bathroom / bedroom
7. Custom cabinets for laundry, closets

for post close, I did the shutters, landscaping, flooring....and now I'm broke. 

Just curious, what's the typical range for garage cabinets?

akkord said:

2. Garage epoxy - used Premier Garage and they came out to fix/look at all my concerns after it cured
3. Recessed lighting - adding lights to all bedrooms, living room - using Install My Lights in a couple of weeks - will update with how it goes
4. Ceiling fans - also using Install my Lights (bought Haiku fans - will provide a review once they are in)
5. Under Cabinet LED Lighting - using Johnny Electric (so far my experience with them hasn't been good) - we'll see how Johnny addresses my concerns
6. Shutters/Shades - using Shutter Heaven with Norman Clearview Shutters and Hunter Douglass Shades, install scheduled for about a week from now, thus far their customer service and communication has been exceptional

To Do List:
1. Landscaping
2. Cabinet Hardware

That's great info Akkord. I am more or less in same boat as you except I let RAH put the master bath door. I really loved pocket doors but it is major work post COE.

I'm thinking about putting one of those sliding barn style doors on my master bath... I think it's easy enough to DIY but we'll see.

paydawg said:
for post close, I did the shutters, landscaping, flooring....and now I'm broke. 

Just curious, what's the typical range for garage cabinets?

Really depends on what you want, I'll take some pictures of mine when I get home.  I think I spent ~2k for 2 48inch wide talls, 2 uppers, and an open shoe cabinet along the back wall.

irvinehomeowner said:
For under cab LED, did you ask if InstallMyLights did that service?

Unfortunately, Install My Lights didn't offer undercabinet lighting as something they do.

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm thinking about putting one of those sliding barn style doors on my master bath... I think it's easy enough to DIY but we'll see.

Let me know if you DIY.  I've actually never even looked at how much these things cost or if its possible to DIY easily. 

akkord said:

To Do List:
1. Landscaping
2. Cabinet Hardware

What were your issues with Premier Garage epoxy?

Ready2Downsize said:
What were your issues with Premier Garage epoxy?

The stem walls clear coat wasn't that good, there were some bubbles during the curing process, they sent someone out to buff out and re-clear coat the affected areas the day after I brought up my concerns.  I'll try and get pictures up tomorrow, forgot I have a ton of errands to do after work today.

akkord said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Let me know if you DIY.  I've actually never even looked at how much these things cost or if its possible to DIY easily.

I saw the videos and it is definitely DIYable. Saw few doors at HD. Depending on what you choose, you can get done withing $200-800.

Here are the pictures of the garage, don't mind the mess, still in the process of organizing everything.  Couple of pictures of the epoxy issue that I had.

Attachments

• Garage.JPG
    Garage.JPG
    265.1 KB · Views: 426
  • Garage 2.JPG
    Garage 2.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 388
  • Epoxy.JPG
    Epoxy.JPG
    329.7 KB · Views: 368
  • Epoxy 2.JPG
    Epoxy 2.JPG
    407.2 KB · Views: 345
Install My Lights came through yesterday and did an awesome job.  Crew of 4 in the morning and Andrew (the owner) came out around 11am.  They were here from 8am until 4:30pm.  They covered everything up, cleaned up everything, and also vacumned all the rooms they worked in, which was almost all of them.  Worked directly with Andrew on the quote and had a ton of questions along the way, we went back and forth via email 20+ times and he was very helpful even before I booked them for the job. 

I would highly recommend at least giving Andrew a chance to bid on your project. 

Shutter Heaven came through on Tuesday to install my shades/shutters.  They also did a great job, took off their shoes in the house, cleaned up afterwards, adjusted the shutters when I tested them for balance.  I worked directly with Richard, the owner, for the quote and he was very responsive to the questions I had and followed up with phone calls same day I left voicemails for him.

He balanced all the shutters, but there was a problem with 1 he couldn't fix - couldn't shut as smoothly as we wanted (more to do with build than install).  Also found an issue with a 2nd one today that I will address with him when he comes back with a backing plate that's on order.  I'll ask him to follow up with Norman to see if they can do anything for me on the 2 issues.

Great job, I'd recommend him as well.

akkord said:
Here are the pictures of the garage, don't mind the mess, still in the process of organizing everything.  Couple of pictures of the epoxy issue that I had.

How much did you pay?

eyephone said:
akkord said:

How much did you pay?

Epoxy was 1630, they would not budge no matter how much I haggled (I think they would have given me a % discount if I did a bigger job with them, but the quote for cabinets was much cheaper through Cabinets Plus). 

Our Tustin home, I believe had Cabinet Plus cabinets in them when I looked at the design there and compared to the design in our current home.  They held up fine through all the abuse we've put it through even though it did look like Premier Garage had better material.  I also got $25 back when I split the referral fee with another TI member.

akkord said:
Install My Lights came through yesterday and did an awesome job.  Crew of 4 in the morning and Andrew (the owner) came out around 11am.  They were here from 8am until 4:30pm.  They covered everything up, cleaned up everything, and also vacumned all the rooms they worked in, which was almost all of them.  Worked directly with Andrew on the quote and had a ton of questions along the way, we went back and forth via email 20+ times and he was very helpful even before I booked them for the job. 

I would highly recommend at least giving Andrew a chance to bid on your project. 
My friend's uncles's mailman's wife's hairdresser's nanny's husband used IML and said they were good.

Seriously though... IML is a great company from what I hear.

akkord said:
eyephone said:
akkord said:

How much did you pay?

Epoxy was 1630, they would not budge no matter how much I haggled (I think they would have given me a % discount if I did a bigger job with them, but the quote for cabinets was much cheaper through Cabinets Plus). 

Our Tustin home, I believe had Cabinet Plus cabinets in them when I looked at the design there and compared to the design in our current home.  They held up fine through all the abuse we've put it through even though it did look like Premier Garage had better material.  I also got $25 back when I split the referral fee with another TI member.

I'm thinking of putting epoxy in my garage by myself. All I need is a paint roller and epoxy paint.

akkord said:
eyephone said:
akkord said:

How much did you pay?

How many layers of coating on the Epoxy for that price? 2?

eyephone said:
akkord said:
eyephone said:
akkord said:

How much did you pay?

I'm thinking of putting epoxy in my garage by myself. All I need is a paint roller and epoxy paint.

Definitely DIYable. I have done it in past. Slightly more than simple roller and paint though. Remove dust, wash, dry, etch, dry, paint, dry, second coat paint.

Back