Phew*

[quote author="Oscar" date=1235559849]

Remind me not to call you if I get cancer.</blockquote>

You have your avatar because you live in a trash can. I have mine because I'm mean, but I still care.

You can't look back unless you want to evaluate something you did that was a mistake. Getting laid off is no mistake. It's part circumstance and part bad luck. In a lot of ways, it's exactly the same as winning the lottery, only nobody broods about winning the lottery, and people say "That's awesome!" instead of "That sucks".

In this situaiton, you can't look back - only forward.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1235563151][quote author="Oscar" date=1235559849]

Remind me not to call you if I get cancer.</blockquote>

You have your avatar because you live in a trash can. I have mine because I'm mean, but I still care.

You can't look back unless you want to evaluate something you did that was a mistake. Getting laid off is no mistake. It's part circumstance and part bad luck. In a lot of ways, it's exactly the same as winning the lottery, only nobody broods about winning the lottery, and people say "That's awesome!" instead of "That sucks".

In this situaiton, you can't look back - only forward.</blockquote>

so what does my avatar say? I'm afraid of what a therapist might say about that.

-bix

[quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1235559186][quote author="irvine123" date=1235558208][quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1235557802][quote author="irvine123" date=1235557598]CZ, I am so sorry to hear that. This seems to happen all the time now. Just last Friday one of my friends came by my office to say good bye as he was laid off.</blockquote>

You know, they made me take four weeks off so that they can try to find something for me. But didn't happen. I did enjoy life for those four weeks when I thought I would return. But knowing that there is no going back is depressing. I know I am stronger than this.

Thank you for your response:) Just being heard by someone helps a lot sometimes.

CZ</blockquote>

If you are young, maybe you can consider going back to school.

Or maybe you can start your own business.

Use this time to think through what you would LIKE to do. Things always work out at the end. I know of many that either got laid off or quit their work due to unhappiness, they are all doing just fine.</blockquote>

I don't think I will go back to school. I am at a cusp where I am neither too young, nor too old. Just finished my masters three years ago. MBA was on my mind, but things have changed now.

My own business- Yes. That's a dream that I have nurtured throughout my career. May be I should start with consulting to being with..

Thanks everyone! I had a hard time venting out my feelings. Since morning it's me and the kids. DH is at work, knows what happened but gave a response "Enjoy life at home for a while. It really doesn't matter whether you work or not". It matters to me. It's not just financial. It's my window to the world. I admire women who can stay home and take care of their families, but I am not really cut out for that.

CZ</blockquote>

Expect to feel identity confusion awhile, but things will get eventually get better. Think about the things you'd like to do, and find some (even if they are very small - like "I always did want time to make myself an egg for breakfast instead of instant oatmeal") and make them come true. Think about what you really want out of life - there are ways to do those things, even work related things when at home with kids (ex. start an architectural blog with ads, or write a book about architecture, or consult or whatever) that are possible.

[quote author="biscuitninja" date=1235563486]so what does my avatar say? I'm afraid of what a therapist might say about that.

-bix</blockquote>

Ahem...

CZ - Sorry for the down time. No-vas is right though, you can only look forward.

[quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1235557276]I filed for unemployment. Life without having to go someplace every morning sucks. Life without somewhere to go back to after the time-off sucks.

(Just had to get it out of my system)

CZ</blockquote>
CZ,

I was in your position about 2 months ago although my laidoff was a bit of a surprise as I exceeded expectations, but such is life. I took a few weeks off to enjoy the holidays with the family and really think about the direction that I wanted to take. Once I got back home after the holidays I hit the pavement and begin to tap into my network and contacting several search firms as well as posting my resume up on a few job boards. After several meetings and discussions I was able to land a 2-3 month consulting assignment which I started on Monday. If all works out I'll have more assignments after this one ends but in the meanwhile I am still working on landing a full-time job and obtaining my CPA license. Keep your head up and stay positive!

[quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1235557276]I filed for unemployment. Life without having to go someplace every morning sucks. Life without somewhere to go back to after the time-off sucks.

CZ</blockquote>

If you have extra time, try do some volunteering work if you can.

"It's one of most beautiful compensations of this life that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself. Serve and thou shall be served."

[quote author="20percentdown" date=1235570409][quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1235557276]I filed for unemployment. Life without having to go someplace every morning sucks. Life without somewhere to go back to after the time-off sucks.

CZ</blockquote>

If you have extra time, try do some volunteering work if you can.

"It's one of most beautiful compensations of this life that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself. Serve and thou shall be served."</blockquote>

Too late now, but if you ever want to do some volunteer work after X-Mas PM me. I go every other year or so to Moscow with a group of people to bring goody bags of toiletries, a coat, undergarments, school supplies, clothes and a toy to orphans. It is a very rewarding experience. You will feel great about yourself, and also realize things have to get really, really bad here in order to be on par with others around the world.

Lately though it's getting expensive to bring goody bags (transportation costs) so we bring tha Benjamins and buy the goods there. Much cheaper.

<If you want to help without going, I'll get you the contact. Donations always welcome whether it's goods or cash>

I'm sure there are other alternatives though than flying to Moscow. But 20% is on the money. Nothing like doing volunteer work.

CZ</blockquote>

It's good to get it out of your system, you're not alone, I know it's easy for me to say because I'm still working but that's not to say I haven't been affected by all the Layoffs going on...

My Wife was working for a Medical related Business that closed down, she has been in the Medical field for years, but She's an ultra hard worker and goes more than the extra mile, then suddenly, no Job...

I get it now, I've seen how hard it can be to feel rejected, it's not so much the money, it's the feeling of being cut off from the outside world She's been involved in for so many years, now she doesn't have fun because she thinks that because she's not working she doesn't deserve to, she has even quit Cycling, something she always loved...

CZ, I know that probably doesn't make you feel any better, I'm just saying you're not alone, being unemployed can affect People in many different ways...

About 3-4 months ago I started to plot a "Plan B", what would I do if I got laid off, I decided to go into a totally different field, something I've been meaning to do for years and so far it's working out really good....in fact, if I got laid off tomorrow I could start working for myself full time by Monday morning, and as Graph says, I'm a Wanker, and if I can do it, anyone can.

It's never too late to work on your plan B, whatever that may be, in fact, I worked on mine whilst working 6 Days a week, you have the advantage of being on the fast-track because you can work on yours 24 hours a Day!!

I don't know what you do/did for a living or who you work for, but have you ever had the urge to do something different? If so, there is a way you can start doing it, the only thing preventing you from doing so would be yourself....

One other thing that has helped is that I have been doing some sales and marketing classes, one important part for me was learning how to deal with rejection, the 10-3-2-1 rule. Dealing with rejection and in fact expecting it is really helpfull when applying for Jobs, it keeps you positive...in fact, what I've learned about all the different aspects of my Plan B has helped in a lot of other aspects of my life.

So now I know you're all gonna say "Why don't you help your Wife with all this newfound knowledge"??

The answer is simple, <em>Have you ever tried to teach your wife to drive?</em>

But good luck and let us know how you're doing, just posting here and talking about it can really help...

<em>As long as this thread doesn't get hijacked</em> *subtle hint*

PeterUK,

I think everyone should have a plan B. I always had a plan B file on my computer. However, I never really acted on it. I am glad you brought this subject up. If there is a time to act on Plan B, this is probably the time. Thanks, and I am going to revisit my Plan B tonight.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1235559792]Any work is meaningful work. You are depressed partially because of boredom, partially because of the loss of structure the job provided, and partionally because you feel less "worthy" because nobody likes rejection and getting fired is the ultimate rejection outside of the big "D".

I would politely suggest you get counciling ASAP to get you over the hump. If that's not an option, I would politely suggest you pile yourself 10/10's into your family as a diversion until you find another job, but I think you still might find counciling helpful.

Getting laid of sucks, but it's in the past. Tomorrow, it would be helpful to be like a cow. Blink your eyes and it's an all new day!</blockquote>

You are right about "blink your eyes and it's an all new day", but the cow part.. Hmmm.. I would spiral down into another bout of depression for that comment:)

But, coming from India, I won't be offended. Cows there are very thin..

The day I filed for unemployment was harsh emotionally. I had prepared for that moment for four weeks, but it didn't help.

Today I feel better, enjoying time with the kids..

Counseling- I don't need it at this point, but yeah, you never know!

CZ

[quote author="tmare" date=1235559986]Sounds like you have a lot of things to be thankful for, make a list of them and dwell there for a bit. Good luck and sorry about the job.</blockquote>

Thank you for your supportive words tmare..

CZ

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1235569853][quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1235557276]I filed for unemployment. Life without having to go someplace every morning sucks. Life without somewhere to go back to after the time-off sucks.

CZ</blockquote>
CZ,

I was in your position about 2 months ago although my laidoff was a bit of a surprise as I exceeded expectations, but such is life. I took a few weeks off to enjoy the holidays with the family and really think about the direction that I wanted to take. Once I got back home after the holidays I hit the pavement and begin to tap into my network and contacting several search firms as well as posting my resume up on a few job boards. After several meetings and discussions I was able to land a 2-3 month consulting assignment which I started on Monday. If all works out I'll have more assignments after this one ends but in the meanwhile I am still working on landing a full-time job and obtaining my CPA license. Keep your head up and stay positive!</blockquote>

You know, I just filed all paperwork for my license exams. In a way being laid off is a blessing in disguise.

My unemployment check will pay off my books+test fees..

Thanks,

CZ

[quote author="PeterUK" date=1235577501]

But good luck and let us know how you're doing, just posting here and talking about it can really help...

<em>As long as this thread doesn't get hijacked</em> *subtle hint*</blockquote>

Thank you PeterUK, I will post the updates:)

CZ

[quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1235788349][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1235569853][quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1235557276]I filed for unemployment. Life without having to go someplace every morning sucks. Life without somewhere to go back to after the time-off sucks.

CZ</blockquote>
CZ,

I was in your position about 2 months ago although my laidoff was a bit of a surprise as I exceeded expectations, but such is life. I took a few weeks off to enjoy the holidays with the family and really think about the direction that I wanted to take. Once I got back home after the holidays I hit the pavement and begin to tap into my network and contacting several search firms as well as posting my resume up on a few job boards. After several meetings and discussions I was able to land a 2-3 month consulting assignment which I started on Monday. If all works out I'll have more assignments after this one ends but in the meanwhile I am still working on landing a full-time job and obtaining my CPA license. Keep your head up and stay positive!</blockquote>

You know, I just filed all paperwork for my license exams. In a way being laid off is a blessing in disguise.

Thanks,

CZ</blockquote>
That a boy. Btw, which course are you taking? I'm taking Roger's online course.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1235792386][quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1235788349][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1235569853][quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1235557276]I filed for unemployment. Life without having to go someplace every morning sucks. Life without somewhere to go back to after the time-off sucks.

CZ</blockquote>
CZ,

Thanks,

CZ</blockquote>

That a boy. Btw, which course are you taking? I'm taking Roger's online course.</blockquote>

I am taking PPI for Architectural License..

CZ

[quote author="irvine123" date=1235615707]PeterUK,

I think everyone should have a plan B. I always had a plan B file on my computer. However, I never really acted on it. I am glad you brought this subject up. If there is a time to act on Plan B, this is probably the time. Thanks, and I am going to revisit my Plan B tonight.</blockquote>

So how did it go 123?

[quote author="PeterUK" date=1235978551][quote author="irvine123" date=1235615707]PeterUK,

I think everyone should have a plan B. I always had a plan B file on my computer. However, I never really acted on it. I am glad you brought this subject up. If there is a time to act on Plan B, this is probably the time. Thanks, and I am going to revisit my Plan B tonight.</blockquote>

So how did it go 123?</blockquote>

<strong><a href="http://www.kjrh.com/mostpopular/story/Bank-robbed-for-the-2nd-time-in-2-weeks/Dl6jnYbufEy5B9EMIc9OZA.cspx">I hope you're not dialing in from Tulsa...</a></strong>

Well I know the feeling, my company announced another shaving... this time something like 30%.... we were at 420+ people at the start of the year. Something like 90 managers 310ish workers. Now were are at 79 managers and about 205 workers..... Yea... that's the right thing to do....

good luck all, i'll probably be out of work in a month or so.... *Stress*

-bix

Back