Phew*

I filed for unemployment. Life without having to go someplace every morning sucks. Life without somewhere to go back to after the time-off sucks.

(Just had to get it out of my system)

CZ

CZ, I am so sorry to hear that. This seems to happen all the time now. Just last Friday one of my friends came by my office to say good bye as he was laid off.

[quote author="irvine123" date=1235557598]CZ, I am so sorry to hear that. This seems to happen all the time now. Just last Friday one of my friends came by my office to say good bye as he was laid off.</blockquote>

You know, they made me take four weeks off so that they can try to find something for me. But didn't happen. I did enjoy life for those four weeks when I thought I would return. But knowing that there is no going back is depressing. I know I am stronger than this.

Thank you for your response:) Just being heard by someone helps a lot sometimes.

CZ

[quote author="BlackVault CM" date=1235557746]Sorry for your loss CZ. You'll find something soon though. Stay positive.</blockquote>

Trying hard to stay positive BV.. I should probably start doing everything I wanted to do when I worked..and not sit worrying.

CZ

Not knowing would be the worst for me... a full four weeks of limbo? *shivver* Nooooo thanks!

At least now you are the one in control of what happens to you, rather than someone in HR with good intentions but no real options.

[quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1235557802][quote author="irvine123" date=1235557598]CZ, I am so sorry to hear that. This seems to happen all the time now. Just last Friday one of my friends came by my office to say good bye as he was laid off.</blockquote>

You know, they made me take four weeks off so that they can try to find something for me. But didn't happen. I did enjoy life for those four weeks when I thought I would return. But knowing that there is no going back is depressing. I know I am stronger than this.

Thank you for your response:) Just being heard by someone helps a lot sometimes.

CZ</blockquote>

If you are young, maybe you can consider going back to school.

Or maybe you can start your own business.

Use this time to think through what you would LIKE to do. Things always work out at the end. I know of many that either got laid off or quit their work due to unhappiness, they are all doing just fine.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1235558356]Sorry to hear, CZ. What sort of industry were you in? (Generally speaking)</blockquote>

Architecture. Retail subdivision. Worst place to be right now.

CZ

[quote author="Oscar" date=1235557991]Not knowing would be the worst for me... a full four weeks of limbo? *shivver* Nooooo thanks!

At least now you are the one in control of what happens to you, rather than someone in HR with good intentions but no real options.</blockquote>

True, in a way. All four weeks I knew there were 90% chances of nothing coming my way, but still enjoyed my stay at home.

At least now I know that I have to look for a job, or start working on something else.

CZ

[quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1235558825][quote author="SoCal78" date=1235558356]Sorry to hear, CZ. What sort of industry were you in? (Generally speaking)</blockquote>

CZ</blockquote>

Start something new! Microhomes! ;-P

-bix

[quote author="irvine123" date=1235558208][quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1235557802][quote author="irvine123" date=1235557598]CZ, I am so sorry to hear that. This seems to happen all the time now. Just last Friday one of my friends came by my office to say good bye as he was laid off.</blockquote>

CZ</blockquote>

Use this time to think through what you would LIKE to do. Things always work out at the end. I know of many that either got laid off or quit their work due to unhappiness, they are all doing just fine.</blockquote>

I don't think I will go back to school. I am at a cusp where I am neither too young, nor too old. Just finished my masters three years ago. MBA was on my mind, but things have changed now.

My own business- Yes. That's a dream that I have nurtured throughout my career. May be I should start with consulting to being with..

Thanks everyone! I had a hard time venting out my feelings. Since morning it's me and the kids. DH is at work, knows what happened but gave a response "Enjoy life at home for a while. It really doesn't matter whether you work or not". It matters to me. It's not just financial. It's my window to the world. I admire women who can stay home and take care of their families, but I am not really cut out for that.

CZ

[quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1235559186][quote author="irvine123" date=1235558208][quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1235557802][quote author="irvine123" date=1235557598]CZ, I am so sorry to hear that. This seems to happen all the time now. Just last Friday one of my friends came by my office to say good bye as he was laid off.</blockquote>

CZ</blockquote>

Use this time to think through what you would LIKE to do. Things always work out at the end. I know of many that either got laid off or quit their work due to unhappiness, they are all doing just fine.</blockquote>

I don't think I will go back to school. I am at a cusp where I am neither too young, nor too old. Just finished my masters three years ago. MBA was on my mind, but things have changed now.

My own business- Yes. That's a dream that I have nurtured throughout my career. May be I should start with consulting to being with..

Thanks everyone! I had a hard time venting out my feelings. Since morning it's me and the kids. DH is at work, knows what happened but gave a response "Enjoy life at home for a while. It really doesn't matter whether you work or not". It matters to me. It's not just financial. It's my window to the world. I admire women who can stay home and take care of their families, but I am not really cut out for that.

CZ</blockquote>

I've been thinking about building some small places... We will see.

-bix

[quote author="biscuitninja" date=1235559024][quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1235558825][quote author="SoCal78" date=1235558356]Sorry to hear, CZ. What sort of industry were you in? (Generally speaking)</blockquote>

CZ</blockquote>

Start something new! Microhomes! ;-P

-bix</blockquote>

LOL! That should be the way to go, if I can convince people:)

Srsly, I am amazed at the properties people are buying now. Family of 3 buying 4 bedroom house because it really helps when there are guests. Frankly I would send my guests to a Hilton. Would work out cheaper than paying thousands of dollars in mortgage for that room.

CZ

[quote author="biscuitninja" date=1235559361][quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1235559186][quote author="irvine123" date=1235558208][quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1235557802][quote author="irvine123" date=1235557598]CZ, I am so sorry to hear that. This seems to happen all the time now. Just last Friday one of my friends came by my office to say good bye as he was laid off.</blockquote>

CZ</blockquote>

CZ</blockquote>

I've been thinking about building some small places... We will see.

-bix</blockquote>

Thank you.. I am just a ping away:)

CZ

[quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1235559186]

CZ</blockquote>

Sorry to hear it's rough on you, CZ. I understand as I went that route by choice. There are lots of ways to stay active with your kids, productive, and in touch with the outside world. We should get together sometime.

Any work is meaningful work. You are depressed partially because of boredom, partially because of the loss of structure the job provided, and partionally because you feel less "worthy" because nobody likes rejection and getting fired is the ultimate rejection outside of the big "D".

I would politely suggest you get counciling ASAP to get you over the hump. If that's not an option, I would politely suggest you pile yourself 10/10's into your family as a diversion until you find another job, but I think you still might find counciling helpful.

Getting laid of sucks, but it's in the past. Tomorrow, it would be helpful to be like a cow. Blink your eyes and it's an all new day!

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1235559581][quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1235559186]

CZ</blockquote>

Sorry to hear it's rough on you, CZ. I understand as I went that route by choice. There are lots of ways to stay active with your kids, productive, and in touch with the outside world. We should get together sometime.</blockquote>

Sure Socal.. I will look forward to meeting you.

CZ

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1235559792]Any work is meaningful work. You are depressed partially because of boredom, partially because of the loss of structure the job provided, and partionally because you feel less "worthy" because nobody likes rejection and getting fired is the ultimate rejection outside of the big "D".

I would politely suggest you get counciling ASAP to get you over the hump. If that's not an option, I would politely suggest you pile yourself 10/10's into your family as a diversion until you find another job, but I think you still might find counciling helpful.

Getting laid of sucks, but it's in the past. Tomorrow, it would be helpful to be like a cow. Blink your eyes and it's an all new day!</blockquote>
Remind me not to call you if I get cancer.

Edited to add: and OMFG... never mention cow in relation to a woman in any way shape or form. You got a deathwish?

Sounds like you have a lot of things to be thankful for, make a list of them and dwell there for a bit. Good luck and sorry about the job.

Back