Passport

[quote author="ABC123" date=1247620461]Rouncorners, I am kind of upset with you for posting this poll. For the last two years I have convinced myself that I don't really need or want to travel abroad again because there is so much I haven't even seen in California, let alone the rest of the USA. Now I am feeling nostalgic for all my past trips and I think I may have caught the travel bug again. It might be time for me to dig out that passport again.</blockquote>

sorry... believe me I'm sad that I haven't seen the inside to the Tom Bradley terminal at LAX for a few years now, I just love the excitement of going to some far off land... sitting at the gate... looking at all the other cool, interesting, exotic travelers... driving just doesn't have the same appeal... and certainly the family WILL NOT be getting in any planes anytime soon! I just can't imagine the nightmare of a crying baby on a 737!

my wife was really worried over bringing our 2-yr old to taiwan (12 hrs on flight i think), with hygiene and the plane ride being her concerns. you know what, the kid passed with flying colors! just make sure you keep him up before the flight so he can sleep during takeoff. by the time he woke up, whip out the coloring book and off he went.

totally agree with whoever said to escape as far as you could while childless. you lose a couple of years of travel time once they start coming out.

i don't think this has been mentioned, but non-americans dislike us because as a group we don't bother to learn local customs, much less local language, before arriving overseas. let's play multiple choice here...which of these is considered okay behavior overseas:

1- push your business card across a table in taiwan

2- pass the food plate with your left hand in the middle east

3- bring white flowers to someone's house in china

4- blow your nose in public in korea

5- showing the okay hand sign (finger circle) in britain

6- putting your feet on a chair in the middle east

7- slurping noodles loudly in japan

[quote author="almon" date=1247752850]my wife was really worried over bringing our 2-yr old to taiwan (12 hrs on flight i think), with hygiene and the plane ride being her concerns. you know what, the kid passed with flying colors! just make sure you keep him up before the flight so he can sleep during takeoff. by the time he woke up, whip out the coloring book and off he went.

totally agree with whoever said to escape as far as you could while childless. you lose a couple of years of travel time once they start coming out.

i don't think this has been mentioned, but non-americans dislike us because as a group we don't bother to learn local customs, much less local language, before arriving overseas. let's play multiple choice here...which of these is considered okay behavior overseas:

7- slurping noodles loudly in japan</blockquote>
#7...I know that from watching Mr. Baseball. haha

"i don?t think this has been mentioned, but non-americans dislike us because as a group we don?t bother to learn local customs, much less local language, before arriving overseas."

I honestly don't think it is a American thing. It's human nature to stick with what your familiar with. How many people do you see here that have lived here 20 plus years and don't speak the local language.

[quote author="almon" date=1247752850]my wife was really worried over bringing our 2-yr old to taiwan (12 hrs on flight i think), with hygiene and the plane ride being her concerns. you know what, the kid passed with flying colors! just make sure you keep him up before the flight so he can sleep during takeoff. by the time he woke up, whip out the coloring book and off he went.

Number 5 is okay - so long as you don't perform any additional movements with your arm

[quote author="Stuff It" date=1247789737][quote author="almon" date=1247752850]my wife was really worried over bringing our 2-yr old to taiwan (12 hrs on flight i think), with hygiene and the plane ride being her concerns. you know what, the kid passed with flying colors! just make sure you keep him up before the flight so he can sleep during takeoff. by the time he woke up, whip out the coloring book and off he went.

Number 5 is okay - so long as you don't perform any additional movements with your arm</blockquote>

What is rude in Britain is doing the victory sign backwards (i.e. two fingers in the air with the palm of your hand facing you)

[quote author="Stuff It" date=1247789737][quote author="almon" date=1247752850]my wife was really worried over bringing our 2-yr old to taiwan (12 hrs on flight i think), with hygiene and the plane ride being her concerns. you know what, the kid passed with flying colors! just make sure you keep him up before the flight so he can sleep during takeoff. by the time he woke up, whip out the coloring book and off he went.

Number 5 is okay - so long as you don't perform any additional movements with your arm</blockquote>

i actually don't know why #5 with movement is no-no...can someone advise?

[quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1247754578]"i don?t think this has been mentioned, but non-americans dislike us because as a group we don?t bother to learn local customs, much less local language, before arriving overseas."

I honestly don't think it is a American thing. It's human nature to stick with what your familiar with. How many people do you see here that have lived here 20 plus years and don't speak the local language.</blockquote>
haha...agree with the local language thing...

but here's the thing...if you ask someone in europe or asia or south america these questions, i would bet even money they can tell you:

1- who is the US president?

2- what date is the US national day (independence day)?

3- which is the most populated US city?

would average joe/jane know the answers for Mexico or Canada?

[quote author="almon" date=1247801711][quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1247754578]"i don?t think this has been mentioned, but non-americans dislike us because as a group we don?t bother to learn local customs, much less local language, before arriving overseas."

I honestly don't think it is a American thing. It's human nature to stick with what your familiar with. How many people do you see here that have lived here 20 plus years and don't speak the local language.</blockquote>

but here's the thing...if you ask someone in europe or asia or south america these questions, i would bet even money they can tell you:

would average joe/jane know the answers for Mexico or Canada?</blockquote>

Since the US is always in the news it is very likely that they would know the answer to number 1. If they go to the movies then they should know the answer to no.2 (independence day, born on the 4th July, etc.). As for number 3 - if they were to think about it then the most likely answer would be NY (no idea if this is true)

Coming from Europe I think it is an American thing. Europeans know more about the US through the news/movies/tv. Whereas Americans get very little exposure to Europe through the same mediums (unless they actively go find it)

I am getting a new passport at the end of this month and will be using it in Nice, Corsica, Italy and Croatia. Nothing like summer vacation in Europe. Anyone have tips on Corsica?

[quote author="almon" date=1247801711][quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1247754578]"i don?t think this has been mentioned, but non-americans dislike us because as a group we don?t bother to learn local customs, much less local language, before arriving overseas."

What about asking a random person on the street in Buenos Aires who the president of South Korea is?

Or asking someone in Istanbul the date of Mexican Independence Day?

Or asking someone in Shanghai what the most populated Swiss city is?

Most Americans wouldn't know the answers to those questions. Most people around the world wouldn't know the answers to those questions, either.

Just because people around the world have a crazy obsession with matters pertaining to the US, they're not necessarily that much less insular than we're lead to believe.

And contrary to the "Ugly American" stereotype we all know so well, American tourists are pretty well-liked. There was an article on Yahoo a few days ago about the world's least favorite tourists. The winners(or losers, in this case) were the French. Not only were they arrogant and ignorant of local language and customs(like Americans), they were also considered cheap(not used to tipping), and they couldn't or wouldn't speak English when they didn't know the local language. When a Dutch tourist gets lost in Japan and can't speak Japanese, he's going to have to ask for directions in English.

Not saying Americans are everyone's favorite tourists(nobody can touch those amazingly polite Japanese tourists), but we're pretty middle of the pack in most surveys I've seen.

[quote author="Newport Trojan" date=1247811830]I am getting a new passport at the end of this month and will be using it in Nice, Corsica, Italy and Croatia. Nothing like summer vacation in Europe. Anyone have tips on Corsica?</blockquote>

Good for you!!

[quote author="Stuff It" date=1247804209]

Coming from Europe I think it is an American thing. Europeans know more about the US through the news/movies/tv. Whereas Americans get very little exposure to Europe through the same mediums (unless they actively go find it)</blockquote>

this might be a typical american jackass response, but other nations should stop being so insecure about americans not learning more about them. the french of course are notorious for tourists not speaking their language. i might consider learning more french... when france is relevant again! french is useful if you'd to avoid getting a rude look from a waiter while ordering crepes in paris. english is useful for getting around everywhere else in the world and conducting business.

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1247443296]Thailand used to be dirt cheap not too too long ago (except for flight) and even today is quite reasonable for what you get. </blockquote>

Thailand is now 50% off. Just book an one way flight and get a free flight back inside a box. Caution: ropes are hazardous.

[quote author="acpme" date=1247813935][quote author="Stuff It" date=1247804209]

Coming from Europe I think it is an American thing. Europeans know more about the US through the news/movies/tv. Whereas Americans get very little exposure to Europe through the same mediums (unless they actively go find it)</blockquote>

this might be a typical american jackass response, but other nations should stop being so insecure about americans not learning more about them. the french of course are notorious for tourists not speaking their language. i might consider learning more french... when france is relevant again! french is useful if you'd to avoid getting a rude look from a waiter while ordering crepes in paris. english is useful for getting around everywhere else in the world and conducting business.</blockquote>

I found the French to be very polite. When I try to approach them speaking in French, they soon realize that their English is way more proficient than whatever I can garble in French. Once this is established they are very willing to give directions or assist you in any way.

[quote author="green_cactus" date=1247814489][quote author="acpme" date=1247813935][quote author="Stuff It" date=1247804209]

this might be a typical american jackass response, but other nations should stop being so insecure about americans not learning more about them. the french of course are notorious for tourists not speaking their language. i might consider learning more french... when france is relevant again! french is useful if you'd to avoid getting a rude look from a waiter while ordering crepes in paris. english is useful for getting around everywhere else in the world and conducting business.</blockquote>

I found the French to be very polite. When I try to approach them speaking in French, they soon realize that their English is way more proficient than whatever I can garble in French. Once this is established they are very willing to give directions or assist you in any way.</blockquote>

Agreed, I found the same with the Spanish. So long as you make the effort then they appreciate it

[quote author="Oxtail" date=1247813476][quote author="almon" date=1247801711][quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1247754578]"i don?t think this has been mentioned, but non-americans dislike us because as a group we don?t bother to learn local customs, much less local language, before arriving overseas."

What about asking a random person on the street in Buenos Aires who the president of South Korea is?

Or asking someone in Istanbul the date of Mexican Independence Day?

Or asking someone in Shanghai what the most populated Swiss city is?

Most Americans wouldn't know the answers to those questions. Most people around the world wouldn't know the answers to those questions, either.

Just because people around the world have a crazy obsession with matters pertaining to the US, they're not necessarily that much less insular than we're lead to believe.

And contrary to the "Ugly American" stereotype we all know so well, American tourists are pretty well-liked. There was an article on Yahoo a few days ago about the world's least favorite tourists. The winners(or losers, in this case) were the French. Not only were they arrogant and ignorant of local language and customs(like Americans), they were also considered cheap(not used to tipping), and they couldn't or wouldn't speak English when they didn't know the local language. When a Dutch tourist gets lost in Japan and can't speak Japanese, he's going to have to ask for directions in English.

Not saying Americans are everyone's favorite tourists(nobody can touch those amazingly polite Japanese tourists), but we're pretty middle of the pack in most surveys I've seen.</blockquote>
the subtlety of the choosing canada/mexico is they're right next to us. the questions are meant to be somewhat easy to americans...

If we had popular movies topping our domestic box office referencing Mexican independence day, I'm sure a lot more Americans would know that it's not Cinco de Mayo. :) Most of the world knows a lot about the US because they watch our movies and tv shows.

I know people who are really into anime. Some of those people could tell you at what point in the Japanese school calendar Golden Week occurs and name off famous commanders during the Warring States Period, but couldn't locate France on a map.

[quote author="green_cactus" date=1247814489][quote author="acpme" date=1247813935][quote author="Stuff It" date=1247804209]

I found the French to be very polite. When I try to approach them speaking in French, they soon realize that their English is way more proficient than whatever I can garble in French. Once this is established they are very willing to give directions or assist you in any way.</blockquote>

that is true though. my comment is mostly tongue-in-cheek. i found the french to be overwhemingly polite. i actually never ran into a rude french guy experience. gypsies, on the other hand...

[quote author="acpme" date=1247869935]

that is true though. my comment is mostly tongue-in-cheek. i found the french to be overwhemingly polite. i actually never ran into a rude french guy experience. gypsies, on the other hand...</blockquote>

I can't say the same of my limited experience in France (5 nights in Paris). The ones I found polite were indeed overwhelmingly polite. I did notice that my attempts to speak French were appreciated. But in general, I found many of them to be rude. But they weren't rude to just me, it seemed like they were rude to each other too. It could have been just a big city thing though. Or maybe because I ordered Freedom Fries ;)

Back