Passport

I forgot the statistics, but only like 11% of all Americans own a passport. That was a huge shocker when I heard that. I?m sure the percentages here are a lot higher, but I want to see for sure. I grew up traveling back and forth between Asia and the US. My wife however never even set foot in another country until our honeymoon to Mexico (Cancun, not TJ) at 30. By the time my nephew was 3, we lost count but he must have flown round trip across the pacific at least five times. We are certainly living in a shrinking world; our church recognizes this and emphasizes the notion of Third Culture people.

Third Culture is an anthropological term given to children of foreign diplomats who don't necessarily belong to the culture which they came from neither to the foreign culture they now live in. In essence they are in a third category, a unique amalgamation of the two cultures. The third culture generation can weave and adapt, in and out of various cultures effortlessly. They may speak many different languages; they may also love experimenting with different foods and experiences. Third culture goes beyond simply multi-culturalism, it's more like an attitude, a humbleness to live and learn other cultures, try different things and experience how other people simply live. It's even the ability to serve despite discomfort and pain.

Is there an inherent conflict in living the Irvine (OC) lifestyle and being Third Culture? Do you find yourself being so comfortable, so lethargic that the thought of traveling to hot, smelly, sticky parts of the world irk you? Is Irvine, the OC the destination? Once you get here, why go anywhere else? We?re not even talking about taking a short-term mission trip to serve or anything; but simply travel for pleasure.

On the other hand, do you find that the multi-cultural, multi-faceted people of Irvine and the OC inspire you to see the world for yourself? Is the OC only a temporary stay in your globe-trotting life experience? You always plan on settling (if ever) somewhere else, Irvine is just another step in your journey.

Or, are you somewhere in the middle? You like to see the world but always love to come back home to the OC? Remember TC is an attitude; we can all understand if our current budget for living here eats up all of our travel expense. At lease for the time being, at this life-stage we are staying put. We will always make Irvine our home, but when given the chance, we love to jet-set off into another country.

My old expired passport has over ten country stamps (although most of them are exit stamps from one country). My new passport just has a couple of stamps, and I'm happy with that. You really don't need to leave southern california to experience the different cultures of the world.

Not just once, but twice in his life, my husband has chucked it all and spent a year to a year and a half travelling around the world. He had an industrial passport and even filled that before it expired. As you can imagine, there are many great stories. However, these experiences have shaped him in a myriad of ways. And he can order a beer in at least 20 languages.

[quote author="ABC123" date=1247353612]My old expired passport has over ten country stamps (although most of them are exit stamps from one country). My new passport just has a couple of stamps, and I'm happy with that. You really don't need to leave southern california to experience the different cultures of the world.</blockquote>

I'll give you that, sort of... but, it's not quite the same is it? Can you give some examples? This isn't fair.. but Vegas.. ok, would you feel satistify simply going on the gondola ride at the venetian versus the real thing? Ok, so it's a lot cheaper, comfortable and you can go five times a year versus a trip of a life time. Also, yeah, the real Venice stinks, I know... there is nothing to eat, and yeah... the real gondola I think has a motor in it, and the guy simply just steered! And, when I found out how much these guys made, I was mad as heck! something like $80k us... so we just took the water taxi :) bad example...

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1247354695]Not just once, but twice in his life, my husband has chucked it all and spent a year to a year and a half travelling around the world. He had an industrial passport and even filled that before it expired. As you can imagine, there are many great stories. However, these experiences have shaped him in a myriad of ways. And he can order a beer in at least 20 languages.</blockquote>

step,, would you say your husband is settled now, and is ok with staying put for a long time? or does he get the itch to travel open ended like that again, very soon?

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1247354695]Not just once, but twice in his life, my husband has chucked it all and spent a year to a year and a half travelling around the world. He had an industrial passport and even filled that before it expired. As you can imagine, there are many great stories. However, these experiences have shaped him in a myriad of ways. <strong>And he can order a beer in at least 20 languages.</strong></blockquote>

I think your husband and mine would have a lot in common. My husband has traveled extensively around the world and makes sure he can order a beer everywhere he goes. We both traveled a lot together before kids. Kids really change things as far as traveling. We have only left the country once with the kids and I've pretty much vowed that I'm not going on a plane trip that takes more than 4 hours until they are at least 6. It's not only the plane trip, but the fact that you don't want to spend the money to take them to a place they won't remember or really be able to appreciate. We're getting there, as soon as we are, we're off!

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1247355279][quote author="stepping_up" date=1247354695]Not just once, but twice in his life, my husband has chucked it all and spent a year to a year and a half travelling around the world. He had an industrial passport and even filled that before it expired. As you can imagine, there are many great stories. However, these experiences have shaped him in a myriad of ways. And he can order a beer in at least 20 languages.</blockquote>

step,, would you say your husband is settled now, and is ok with staying put for a long time? or does he get the itch to travel open ended like that again, very soon?</blockquote>

Yes and no. I'm surprised at how much he enjoys homerownership. That being said, he always has to travel or else he would feel stifled. We went to Panama earlier this year and then back to France. Later this month he will go on a surf trip to El Salvador with his 75 year old dad. Every year it's "well, gotta do 'cause it may be the last year dad can do it." And then we will be going to Thailand for two weeks over Thanksgiving and into Dec. I got those tickets on miles and we way have to go backpacker style.

He needs to do these in order to be happy and he deserves them. I would have prefered to have more in savings than going to Panama, but I just know how important these trips are to him. Don't get me wrong, I love to travel too (my passport will be full before it expires) but I also hate debt and having very little savings.

Long term, our goal is to be able to spend half the year out of the country and retire as soon as we can.

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1247357195]this <a href="http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2008/10/20/debunking-passport-myth/">article </a>is blowing my premise away...</blockquote>

I do think that money limits many Americans, but having seen enough of them behaving boorishly abroad, I tend to agree with the thinking that many of us are not good travelers. That being said, I also agree that the 50 States are almost like different countries except that the currency is the same and most people speak some form of English.

I found it odd that my husband hadn't seen much of the US and was really bummed that there were some places I wanted to see that he didn't. One of which was Arkansas and I finally had a conference in Little Rock last year and was so excited about it. Hubby came out to Florida with me twice on business trips. He is Mr. Curious and while I was working went and saw all there was too see. I've been to 24 States and want to see the other 26. I think hubby would enjoy a road trip across the country when we get to the point where time isn't the limiting factor.

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1247358684][quote author="roundcorners" date=1247357195]this <a href="http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2008/10/20/debunking-passport-myth/">article </a>is blowing my premise away...</blockquote>

I do think that money limits many Americans, <strong>but having seen enough of them behaving boorishly abroad, I tend to agree with the thinking that many of us are not good travelers.</strong> That being said, I also agree that the 50 States are almost like different countries except that the currency is the same and most people speak some form of English.

I found it odd that my husband hadn't seen much of the US and was really bummed that there were some places I wanted to see that he didn't. One of which was Arkansas and I finally had a conference in Little Rock last year and was so excited about it. Hubby came out to Florida with me twice on business trips. He is Mr. Curious and while I was working went and saw all there was too see. I've been to 24 States and want to see the other 26. I think hubby would enjoy a road trip across the country when we get to the point where time isn't the limiting factor.</blockquote>

When I studied abroad in my early twenties, my friends and I came across groups of American college-age guys in train stations and we were always very embarrassed by their behavior. One group chased us, yelling "American girls come here!"

I have many stamps in my passport, but I think they're for only 5-6 European countries. Since starting my career, I have found that it is difficult to vacation abroad due to lost time in the air. The last few years, my bf and I have taken one week trips to Hawaii because it's so easy to get to and only 30-35K miles for a miles ticket in coach. I'm hoping to use my miles to take my family to New England this fall (before my FF status expires). We've never been to Plymouth to see where our descendant lived and, we want to see the Fall foilage. In the next year or two, I'm planning to spend 2-3 weeks in Italy.

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1247357195]this <a href="http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2008/10/20/debunking-passport-myth/">article </a>is blowing my premise away...</blockquote>

I agree with some of that. I also agree that I've seen a lot of boorish behaviour by people from the states travelling abroad (as well as travelling here!).

A more interesting comparison might be between number of US passport holders and the number of EU passport holders who have travelled outside of the EU. How many of them have been to asia, africa, the americas? I suspect that it is similar to the US number.

[quote author="freedomCM" date=1247366864][quote author="roundcorners" date=1247357195]this <a href="http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2008/10/20/debunking-passport-myth/">article </a>is blowing my premise away...</blockquote>

I agree with some of that. I also agree that I've seen a lot of boorish behaviour by people from the states travelling abroad (as well as travelling here!).</blockquote>

I agree that money has been an issue with the non-existent stamps on my passport. But, it is also time, and for many time is money. I had all these great plans to travel abroad after I got my passport, but then I thought... okay... I am out for 2 weeks, that means I need X dollars saved, and when I get back I need to make Y dollars. Then you realize that while you saved X dollars, the ability to make Y dollars is going to be even harder than the X dollars. It becomes a vicious cycle, and many years pass before you realize where the hell the time and Z dollars went. Hopefully though, if all goes well with X,Y, and Z dollars, then in 2011 Cayci and I would like to go to Italy. Now that I understand this conundrum, I might be more prepared.

<blockquote>A more interesting comparison might be between number of US passport holders and the number of EU passport holders who have travelled outside of the EU. How many of them have been to asia, africa, the americas? I suspect that it is similar to the US number.</blockquote>

Not sure if the actual numbers would skew it, but the % amount might when you find out how many in the EU travel to Asia and Africa. Flights London to Thailand are wicked cheap on Ryanair, and the exchange rate makes a really nice hotel room cost $40 a night and a decent one $20 a night. I know that several wankers go to Thailand, the Philippines, and various parts of South East Asia to spend a week or two there just because it is so cheap. Well... for some that is, some might spend a bit more on the "extra" services you can find there. For a Brit, a week long trip to Thailand's various locations would cost $1500, for an American to do the same it would cost over $4000 because of the flight cost plus less favorable exchange rate. They b*tch that we don't travel to places like Phuket, but what they do not realize is that it costs us more than twice as much. And traveling to the Americans is not cheap for us like it is for them to travel to Asia. We suck when it comes to the cost to travel.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1247411704][quote author="freedomCM" date=1247366864][quote author="roundcorners" date=1247357195]this <a href="http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2008/10/20/debunking-passport-myth/">article </a>is blowing my premise away...</blockquote>

I agree with some of that. I also agree that I've seen a lot of boorish behaviour by people from the states travelling abroad (as well as travelling here!).</blockquote>

I agree that money has been an issue with the non-existent stamps on my passport. But, it is also time, and for many time is money. I had all these great plans to travel abroad after I got my passport, but then I thought... okay... I am out for 2 weeks, that means I need X dollars saved, and when I get back I need to make Y dollars. Then you realize that while you saved X dollars, the ability to make Y dollars is going to be even harder than the X dollars. It becomes a vicious cycle, and many years pass before you realize where the hell the time and Z dollars went. Hopefully though, if all goes well with X,Y, and Z dollars, then in 2011 Cayci and I would like to go to Italy. Now that I understand this conundrum, I might be more prepared.

<blockquote>A more interesting comparison might be between number of US passport holders and the number of EU passport holders who have travelled outside of the EU. How many of them have been to asia, africa, the americas? I suspect that it is similar to the US number.</blockquote>

Not sure if the actual numbers would skew it, but the % amount might when you find out how many in the EU travel to Asia and Africa. Flights London to Thailand are wicked cheap on Ryanair, and the exchange rate makes a really nice hotel room cost $40 a night and a decent one $20 a night. I know that several wankers go to Thailand, the Philippines, and various parts of South East Asia to spend a week or two there just because it is so cheap. Well... for some that is, some might spend a bit more on the "extra" services you can find there. For a Brit, a week long trip to Thailand's various locations would cost $1500, for an American to do the same it would cost over $4000 because of the flight cost plus less favorable exchange rate. They b*tch that we don't travel to places like Phuket, but what they do not realize is that it costs us more than twice as much. And traveling to the Americans is not cheap for us like it is for them to travel to Asia. We suck when it comes to the cost to travel.</blockquote>

Yes, we do suck, but get your ass out there and travel. There is no time like the present, especially when you are young, in love and childless. I really can't say anymore, just do it, damn it! Stop thinking, get on the computer, book a flight and one night somewhere. Stay for two weeks and figure it out once you get there. Just a click away.

My father and I had diplomatic passports and we lived in the Netherlands when I was a kid. My passport has lots of stamps. My dad's passport was full.

Now, my family has passports, but very few stamps. I do not think they stamp as you travel from one country in Europe to another.

[quote author="awgee" date=1247433173]My father and I had diplomatic passports and we lived in the Netherlands when I was a kid. My passport has lots of stamps. My dad's passport was full.

Now, my family has passports, but very few stamps. I do not think they stamp as you travel from one country in Europe to another.</blockquote>

They do stamp Americans in each country if you are entering and/or exiting via plane, but not necessarily if you enter/exit by car or train.

Thailand used to be dirt cheap not too too long ago (except for flight) and even today is quite reasonable for what you get. My husband is lamenting that the huts he stayed in for $2/night are now $20/nt. He says phuket is too touristy now. The other areas we are considering have places for $15/nt and it's really amazing what you get for $60/nt. I got the tickets on miles, so the trip will be quite reasonable.

The current exchange rate in Europe, especially the UK, makes it a lot less affordable for Americans. However, there are places where it's still inexpensive for us. We went to Argentina last year (got the tickets on miles) and it was amazing. Most dinners including a good bottle of wine were only $25. We had an extravagant meal one night (nice restaurant, two salads, two entrees and two bottles of good wine) and it was $60. The salads were usually nearly as much as the entrees. You can stay in decent places for $60 to $70/nt and the wine is very good. A glass of house Torrontes would be anywhere from $1 to $2 a glass and $15 gets you a pretty good bottle of Malbec in the restaurants.

I saw tickets to Buenos Aires from LAX for $387/rt last week, but it sold out quite quickly. It's winter down there now, but still if you can get tickets for what it costs to fly to NY, it's so worth it.

[quote author="tmare" date=1247412807]

Yes, we do suck, but get your ass out there and travel. There is no time like the present, especially when you are young, in love and childless. I really can't say anymore, just do it, damn it! Stop thinking, get on the computer, book a flight and one night somewhere. Stay for two weeks and figure it out once you get there. Just a click away.</blockquote>

For the record: Since we have been dating Graph and I have spent at least 2 days in each of the following locations: San Diego, NYC, San Francisco/Mendocino, Paso Robles, Napa/Sonoma and Portland/Seattle. We are currently looking into a Las Vegas trip while the rates are so cheap. One day trips have included several to LA and one to Ojai.

It occurred to me that people from around the world come HERE on vacation, and there are (relatively) local places I have never been. I wanted to cross them off the list while I could and while opportunities arose.

Away we go!

<blockquote>For the record: Since we have been dating Graph and I have spent at least 2 days in each of the following locations: San Diego, NYC, San Francisco/Mendocino, Paso Robles, Napa/Sonoma and Portland/Seattle. We are currently looking into a Las Vegas trip while the rates are so cheap. One day trips have included several to LA and one to Ojai.

It occurred to me that people from around the world come HERE on vacation, and there are (relatively) local places I have never been. I wanted to cross them off the list while I could and while opportunities arose.

Away we go! </blockquote>
Cayci, I totally agree with you. There are so many places in the US to visit that I don't even have an itchin to leave the country at the present time. I have been outside the US, and I have had just as much fun visting our other great states. Each state is so different from another. I'm currently living in Massachusetts, and there is so much to see right around me - New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, Maine, etc - and they are only a drive away. We do live in a beautiful country.

[quote author="caycifish" date=1247444879][quote author="tmare" date=1247412807]

Yes, we do suck, but get your ass out there and travel. There is no time like the present, especially when you are young, in love and childless. I really can't say anymore, just do it, damn it! Stop thinking, get on the computer, book a flight and one night somewhere. Stay for two weeks and figure it out once you get there. Just a click away.</blockquote>

For the record: Since we have been dating Graph and I have spent at least 2 days in each of the following locations: San Diego, NYC, San Francisco/Mendocino, Paso Robles, Napa/Sonoma and Portland/Seattle. We are currently looking into a Las Vegas trip while the rates are so cheap. One day trips have included several to LA and one to Ojai.

Away we go!</blockquote>

If the day comes that you have children, you will want to visit the places close to home. Right now, I hate to disagree with you though, is the time to travel abroad. There is nothing like grabbing a suitcase and heading for a foreign land. Our favorite trip was to Costa Rica, no plans, just a rental car, wandering around for a few weeks trying to figure out where to go next. My next favorite was 10 days in Ireland, again no plans, just one train ride after the next (of course, hopping on a plane and spending a few days in Amsterdam was a must!). I'm kind of wondering if Trooper ever did the trip she talked about.

[quote author="caycifish" date=1247444879][quote author="tmare" date=1247412807]

Away we go!</blockquote>

I have traveled all across the globe but I am most proud of the travels I've done in California. Being well versed in your own turf can be quite advantagous in traveling abroad, too. I make friends when I travel abroad. or while I'm out and about in CA. I invite them to stay with me and show them around Cali and they usually return the favor. The key to being well travel is the relationships you form. Your not well traveled if you go to here or there for a week, hit up the monuments and museums and go home.

Cayci, you and Graph should stay in a few hostels in LA and befriend some Italian DINKS on vacation here. Seriously, Italy is full of DINKS that love them some Cali friends. Many of the friends I made while I lived in Italy were in love with California and were eager to start mutual home sharing accommodations with us.

Back