Orchard Hills Update Website

[quote author="IACRenter" date=1247460145][quote author="irvinebullhousing" date=1247454582]I took a docent led 2 hours hiking into Orchard Hills last week and I have to admit that this will be the last, best of the best real estate for Irvine. The setting is perfect for nature walking with trails and native plants/trees surrounding us. The hike has many up hills and down hills trails, which provide plenty of challenge even for a fit person. We hike to the near peak of the trail and there we can see as far as L.A. skyscrapers to the north and way past Laguna beach top of the world to the south. All of the lots that were graded is now convert back to strawberry fields. This is to produce income as well as preserve the soil. There were lots of avocado trees that burned were able to salvage and cut tfrom the top because of the October 2007 Santiago Canyon fire. Many eucaleuptes trees were also damage.

One very interesting revelation from the host during the hike who consult for the Irvine Company on various projects including Orchard Hills is that the project will be delay at least until 2015 or even later when I asked. Most of residential planning is put on hold. Since this is one of the jewel and the last for Irvine, The Irvine Company will not develop until there will be clear demands for high end expensive lots.

Personally, I like the delay since I use Portola prkwy quite a bit and I like the openness feeling. It still seem like you are somewhat rural when traveling this road since there is still lots of strawberry fields and open lands. I still remember a decade ago when I drive and use Portola road the aroma of strawberry in the air so sweet its almost intoxicating, I can't get enough of it. At my house, even when I open my back windows, the strawberry fragrance would fill my family room, I miss that. Although, some of the graded lot now convert into strawberry fields, it not nearly as much as it use to be.

So there you have it. We need to wait quite along time before we can see any model homes popping up in Orchards Hill and for me I welcome it. And when it does make sure your wallet is deep because the prices of these homes will be very expensive.</blockquote>

The time delay will also help erase the collective memory of the Great Fires of 2007. I am sure the views are beautiful and yes it is Irvine. But like I said back in 2007, why put one of your largest investments in the middle of a high risk fire zone. You will only get burned in the end. BK may like the Feng Shui since OH backs to a hill but I am not about to fight Mother Nature. SoCal continues to be in another drought season and that is unlikely to change anytime soon given global warming trends. It is only a matter of time before we get another major fire along OH.</blockquote>

That did not stop the well to do in Malibu nor the fear of earth quake exodus the resident of Laguna beach because of land slide. It comes down to the HAVE and the HAVE NOT. I am sure if I have that much money I would careless. I am the have not, but I am working hard on it.

[quote author="irvinebullhousing" date=1247454582] So there you have it. We need to wait quite along time before we can see any model homes popping up in Orchards Hill and for me I welcome it. And when it does make sure your wallet is deep because the prices of these homes will be very expensive.</blockquote>

Orchard Hills has 2 insurmountable problems: TUSD and 714 area code.

[quote author="High Gravity" date=1247527811][quote author="irvinebullhousing" date=1247454582] So there you have it. We need to wait quite along time before we can see any model homes popping up in Orchards Hill and for me I welcome it. And when it does make sure your wallet is deep because the prices of these homes will be very expensive.</blockquote>

Orchard Hills has 2 insurmountable problems: TUSD and 714 area code.</blockquote>

I have to disagree here. Northpark is in the 714 and TUSD and still retains a premium over many other 949 and IUSD neighborhoods.

[quote author="High Gravity" date=1247527811][quote author="irvinebullhousing" date=1247454582] So there you have it. We need to wait quite along time before we can see any model homes popping up in Orchards Hill and for me I welcome it. And when it does make sure your wallet is deep because the prices of these homes will be very expensive.</blockquote>

Orchard Hills has 2 insurmountable problems: TUSD and 714 area code.</blockquote>

Parts of OH will be IUSD. Not sure of the area code issue.

[quote author="irvinebullhousing" date=1247454582]So there you have it. We need to wait quite along time before we can see any model homes popping up in Orchards Hill and for me I welcome it. And when it does make sure your wallet is deep because the prices of these homes will be very expensive.</blockquote>

This is certainly the Irvine Company pricing fantasy. There will be an element of truth to this because Orchard Hills will command a premium over other Irvine neighborhoods due to the large lots and relative exclusivity. As some point it will probably take its place just below Shady Canyon and comparable to Turtle Ridge, the hilltop regions of Quail Hill and Turtle Rock. I don't think the price points will be anything close to what TIC wants to get, but relatively speaking, they will be high, and TIC will wait to sell them until they have completely gotten over their denial of the housing bubble.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1247540581]Did anyone on this OH tour mention Laguna Crossing?</blockquote>

Laguna Crossing project never came up and from the group of twelve including the host did not cross our mind. Now that you mention it, I am too wonder about it.

[quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1247543289][quote author="irvinebullhousing" date=1247454582]So there you have it. We need to wait quite along time before we can see any model homes popping up in Orchards Hill and for me I welcome it. And when it does make sure your wallet is deep because the prices of these homes will be very expensive.</blockquote>

I don?t think the price points will be anything close to what TIC wants to get, but relatively speaking, they will be high, and TIC will wait to sell them until they have completely gotten over their denial of the housing bubble. .</blockquote>

I remember sometimes ago, probably in mid of 2006 when TIC sent out solicitation letter of OH pricing to survey how much you willing to pay for homes in this area. The ranges was something like starting in the low 1M-1.5M. Yeah, starting at low 1 million. Of course, this is while the housing bubble on brink of bursting, nationally. I am not sure if they can command the same starting price today, but TIC has deep pocket and they do have the time to just sit and wait. Example are all around us, most projects get delay or on hold. Even while we're in the deflating period now, Woodbury East opening is an eye opener for some bears. There are still people out there that has cash and ready to throw it down when they see values.

Asian buyers tend to buy and live in the same house for a very long time, the statistic of moving around every few years is obsolete for this group of buyers. It is not a scientific measures, but most of my Asians friends in high school, who parent bought their homes still live at the same house. Most of my Asian friends who bought their home in the late 90 or early 2000 still own and live in their house. A few of them did buy a second home during the bubble years as an investment out of state and still hold them.

Statistically, speaking if you hold any asset class long enough price will always come back, correct?

I wanted to revisit the topic of Orchard Hills for a second.

<a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5760/#119364">In the call with Dan Young,</a> (paragraph 2) he said: "... based upon our best guess, the absorption that we?ve projected? it might suggest that Stonegate is [opening] in 2011. Laguna Crossing would probably follow shortly after that, as would Orchard Hills."

<a href="http://www.ocregister.com/articles/school-irvine-district-2590221-students-board">In an article about Orchard Hills School that appeared in the OCR on Oct. 2</a>, it said: "construction on the neighborhood has been pushed back to 2013 by The Irvine Company."

So, it appears as though it may be another 4 years.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1254877947]I wanted to revisit the topic of Orchard Hills for a second.

<a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5760/#119364">In the call with Dan Young,</a> (paragraph 2) he said: "... based upon our best guess, the absorption that we?ve projected? it might suggest that Stonegate is [opening] in 2011. Laguna Crossing would probably follow shortly after that, as would Orchard Hills."

<a href="http://www.ocregister.com/articles/school-irvine-district-2590221-students-board">In an article about Orchard Hills School that appeared in the OCR on Oct. 2</a>, it said: "construction on the neighborhood has been pushed back to 2013 by The Irvine Company."

So, it appears as though it may be another 4 years.</blockquote>
I think they'll be focusing on finishing out Woodbury and building out East Woodbury and Portola Springs before they start construction on Orchard Hills and Laguna Crossing.

Thanks for the heads up!! I'll stop on the way home and pick my daughter up some applications from In-N-Out. Never too early for her to start capitalizing on her TUSD education! And thankfully I have a 949 cell phone, which saves me the embarrassment of having to give out my 714 home phone to anyone. What would they think of me??!!

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1254878958][quote author="SoCal78" date=1254877947]I wanted to revisit the topic of Orchard Hills for a second.

So, it appears as though it may be another 4 years.</blockquote>
I think they'll be focusing on finishing out Woodbury and building out East Woodbury and Portola Springs before they start construction on Orchard Hills and Laguna Crossing.</blockquote>

There are 5 enclaves in Portola Springs. So far only enclaves 1 and 2 have been started. I doubt they will built out the entire PS neighborhood before starting on other projects.

Man... if Laguna Crossing isn't going to open until 2013, I should just buy something to hold us over until then... that is once all those OREOs hit the market.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1254890983]Man... if Laguna Crossing isn't going to open until 2013, I should just buy something to hold us over until then... that is once all those OREOs hit the market.</blockquote>

I can't wait that long either, but you must wait for those REO inventory to hit the market before taking the plunge.

[quote author="irvinebullhousing" date=1254891337][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1254890983]Man... if Laguna Crossing isn't going to open until 2013, I should just buy something to hold us over until then... that is once all those OREOs hit the market.</blockquote>

I can't wait that long either, but you must wait for those REO inventory to hit the market before taking the plunge.</blockquote>

If you are going to wait.. you might as well wait to til the end because Laguna Crossing's location is going to be gold.

[quote author="CK" date=1254884699][quote author="High Gravity" date=1247527811][quote author="irvinebullhousing" date=1247454582] So there you have it. We need to wait quite along time before we can see any model homes popping up in Orchards Hill and for me I welcome it. And when it does make sure your wallet is deep because the prices of these homes will be very expensive.</blockquote>

Thanks for the heads up!! I'll stop on the way home and pick my daughter up some applications from In-N-Out. Never too early for her to start capitalizing on her TUSD education! And thankfully I have a 949 cell phone, which saves me the embarrassment of having to give out my 714 home phone to anyone. What would they think of me??!!</blockquote>

When I started phone service at Orchard Hills they gave me an option for either a 714 or 949 area code. I took the 714 area code because I thought 714 was the original area code for Orange County and 949 was the "alternate" area code, which to me seemed too similar to 909, the area code in the Inland Empire...do OC residents have a definite preference for one or the other?

[quote author="fumbling" date=1254959409]...do OC residents have a definite preference for one or the other?</blockquote>

If they have time to worry about things like that, they might want to consider looking for a hobby.

[quote author="fumbling" date=1254959409][I took the 714 area code because I thought 714 was the original area code for Orange County and 949 was the alternate</blockquote>Yes, any area code with a 2nd digit of "1" or "0" is original

[quote author="xoneinax" date=1254962658][quote author="fumbling" date=1254959409][I took the 714 area code because I thought 714 was the original area code for Orange County and 949 was the alternate</blockquote>Yes, any area code with a 2nd digit of "1" or "0" is original</blockquote>

Are you sure? The Westside was 213 at one time and now it's 310, same with the Valley and 818.

Back