Orchard Hills - Strada by Irvine Pacific

Bullsback said:
Rnadom question...how much does it cost to put in that type of backyard (pretty basic in the grand scheme).

For Backyard 1a/b, I think you're looking at around 15K.  That'll be all irrigation/piping, pavers and soft-scaping.  It's a very basic set-up with minimal planting so I don't anticipate it'd be more than that.  Backyard 2 is a more sophisticated design from what I can see, with more established planting, so more $$$.

Does anyone know when the Strada models will be released for sale and how much they may go for? I'm hearing a release date by December, but I think that's a little bit too early considering they're still on phase 30 and they still have to sell the vacant lots next to the sales office.

Jonah said:
Bullsback said:
Rnadom question...how much does it cost to put in that type of backyard (pretty basic in the grand scheme).

For Backyard 1a/b, I think you're looking at around 15K.  That'll be all irrigation/piping, pavers and soft-scaping.  It's a very basic set-up with minimal planting so I don't anticipate it'd be more than that.  Backyard 2 is a more sophisticated design from what I can see, with more established planting, so more $$$.
Thank you.  Really the basics are the exact same, only difference is with backyard two, the person spent a little more on slightly more mature landscaping, but even then, I presume those costs are relatively minimal and if you wanted to, you could go tree shopping yourself at any tree place. Cost of actually planting them I presume would be relatively negligible between more mature / less mature.  Im' surprised neither of these houses did any sort of a flagstone type seat wall or something.  Would have thought it would have been minimal more in costs and added an extra layer to the landscaping (than again, maybe seatwall was deemed to take up too much space for furniture, etc).  I've always thought it was a nice touch to provide that separation barrier between the pavers / tile / concrete and your planters. 

You might be surprised at how the cost grows multiples based on maturity. e.g. A 5 gallon olive tree might cost ~$30, a 15 gallon ~$100, and a 24" box ~$275.

Supply/demand issues exist too. Palo verde trees are apparently so popular right now, that our landscaper couldn't find a reasonably priced 24" box tree. So we settled for a 15 gallon tree (it was ~3' tall at planting).

Perspective said:
You might be surprised at how the cost grows multiples based on maturity. e.g. A 5 gallon olive tree might cost ~$30, a 15 gallon ~$100, and a 24" box ~$275.

Supply/demand issues exist too. Palo verde trees are apparently so popular right now, that our landscaper couldn't find a reasonably priced 24" box tree. So we settled for a 15 gallon tree (it was ~3' tall at planting).
Agreed. Stuff does add up. Reminds me of when I bought my previous home and when repainting it, etc, I decided I hated the doorhandles and trashed them...next thing I knew I spent 1000 bucks on new doorhandles/nobs (and it isn't like I moved to some super fancy doorhandle or something, just hated the color of the current nobs and replaced them with a more modern color).

Renting in Orchard Hills right now. Glad I did before picking a location to buy.  I really liked OH before I moved here. 

#1 dislike after living here - Flies. We're living in an Orchard so there are massive flies everywhere.  If you open your sliding glass door for 10 minutes you'll have at least 4 big ass flies in your house and several other little flying bugs.  Feels like a a third world county at times.

Settled on Baker Ranch. 

Hi Bullsback, do you think you could find an example of what you mean by a "separation barrier" in the backyard between the tile and plants? I have an idea of what you're talking about, but it would help to see a picture.

Bullsback said:
Jonah said:
Bullsback said:

Thank you.  Really the basics are the exact same, only difference is with backyard two, the person spent a little more on slightly more mature landscaping, but even then, I presume those costs are relatively minimal and if you wanted to, you could go tree shopping yourself at any tree place. Cost of actually planting them I presume would be relatively negligible between more mature / less mature.  Im' surprised neither of these houses did any sort of a flagstone type seat wall or something.  Would have thought it would have been minimal more in costs and added an extra layer to the landscaping (than again, maybe seatwall was deemed to take up too much space for furniture, etc).  I've always thought it was a nice touch to provide that separation barrier between the pavers / tile / concrete and your planters. 

acf said:
Hi Bullsback, do you think you could find an example of what you mean by a "separation barrier" in the backyard between the tile and plants? I have an idea of what you're talking about, but it would help to see a picture.

Bullsback said:
Jonah said:
Bullsback said:

Not the best picture, but at least gives an example of a seatwall (some different ways to do it and obviously it is nice if you tie in the stone with a built in bbq or fireplace or potentially your house.   

https://www.google.com/search?q=seat+wall&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwivjILsh8TOAhVMxmMKHff6DZcQ_AUICCgB&biw=1920&bih=995#imgrc=J8kHoMOTP2DdmM%3A

Ah yes, thanks. Not a bad idea, I will consider it. I guess it's also nice that it hides the dirt and the roots of the plant, so all you will see is green.

acf said:
Ah yes, thanks. Not a bad idea, I will consider it. I guess it's also nice that it hides the dirt and the roots of the plant, so all you will see is green.
That is why I like it. Allows you to focus more on the plant and green and not the dirt.  Plus, when you want to hose down your concrete, easy to do without worrying about a bunch of dirt / mud kicking back up. 

Holy, I think that's the best point of them all. Hosing down the ground would be a huge mess without.

Bullsback said:
acf said:
That is why I like it. Allows you to focus more on the plant and green and not the dirt.  Plus, when you want to hose down your concrete, easy to do without worrying about a bunch of dirt / mud kicking back up. 

A few weeks ago a cell tower was installed on a hill above Strada. They camouflaged it within days with greenery. It's the odd-colored object centered in this image.

Does this mean better cell reception is coming to Orchard Hills? How soon do these towers go live?

Attachments

• 20160815.jpg
    20160815.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 192
Perspective said:
A few weeks ago a cell tower was installed on a hill above Strada. They camouflaged it within days with greenery. It's the odd-colored object centered in this image.

Does this mean better cell reception is coming to Orchard Hills? How soon do these towers go live?

Hopefully the tower goes live soon. Currently, any cell phone is pretty much a brick at Orchard Hills. You might be able to make a call, but don't expect any data.

A question to all you Strada (and other Irvine Pacific) owners who had IP install a ceiling junction box for a fan. There are two switches - one a regular on/off switch (for the fan) and the other a dimmer (for the lights). In the junction box there are two hot wires - one red and the other black. Anyone know which hot wire goes with which switch? i.e does the dimmer switch activate the black or the red wire?

PS Curiously the dimmer IP installed is for incandescents only. Why didn't they install a universal LED/Compact Flourescent/Incandescent dimmer? Doesn't cost anymore, but gives future installers (like me) more options.

DrTravel said:
A question to all you Strada (and other Irvine Pacific) owners who had IP install a ceiling junction box for a fan. There are two switches - one a regular on/off switch (for the fan) and the other a dimmer (for the lights). In the junction box there are two hot wires - one red and the other black. Anyone know which hot wire goes with which switch? i.e does the dimmer switch activate the black or the red wire?

PS Curiously the dimmer IP installed is for incandescents only. Why didn't they install a universal LED/Compact Flourescent/Incandescent dimmer? Doesn't cost anymore, but gives future installers (like me) more options.

I'm installing ceiling fans now too. My instructions identified the possible colors - don't remember the identifiers at the moment. My fans' instructions advised not to use the "dimmer" switch IP installed for the speed regulation. They said it would cause humming, and that you need to install a 3-speed dimmer switch.

I spoke to the builder electrician specifically about the two wires. The Red is for light and the black is for the fan motor. It depends on your fan too if and wether you want the wall switches to control the fan and light separately. My fan has a remote so I ties both the motor and light on the fan to the black wire for source of power and ultikuzevtge remote that comes with the fan to control.

Compressed-Village said:
I spoke to the builder electrician specifically about the two wires. The Red is for light and the black is for the fan motor. It depends on your fan too if and wether you want the wall switches to control the fan and light separately. My fan has a remote so I ties both the motor and light on the fan to the black wire for source of power and ultikuzevtge remote that comes with the fan to control.

Just received the same info from the builder. I have fans that have LED lights which are dimmable - if you use the incandescent dimmers the builder installed, they will likely work but may decrease the lifespan of the LED. Putting the dimmer on the fan will just result in a humming noise and useless considering the fan has three speeds already. Probably will shorten the lifespan of the fan as well.

Connecting the dimmer to the fan will damage the motor.

If your fan has an LED light try buying the LED compatible dimmer switch.  My regular dimmer switch worked with LED lights, but you can  tell the LED lights would frequently dim or brighten on their own.  This doesn't happen with an LED compatible dimmer switch.

Back