Orchard Hills - Pesticides

lnc said:
Dresden215 said:
over Disneyland, since it's restricted air space.

When I moved in, I did a deep cleaning from top to bottom and every inch of the house, since there was a massive amount of construction dust. This company will do every inch of your house. http://www.cleanandwash.com/restoration-services/

Just curious,  how much do they charge for this type of cleaning?

I was quoted $1600. Roughly $40/hr for a crew of 6. I decided to just clean the place myself with the help of my kids, since I wanted to spend $1600 on other things. Got another quote from Maid in California that does post construction cleaning and they wanted about $1400 if I recall.

I'm really glad this topic continues to be raised. As a parent of 2 young kids and someone who works in the healthcare field, I want to emphasize pesticide exposure is really detrimental to children's health and development.  Not only children, adults are at risk,  but children and elderly are more vulnerable. I'm interested in purchasing a property in Orchard Hills, but the main deciding factor will be whether the orchards will continue to be sprayed with pesticides. I'm here to ask if anyone knows if there are any plans in the near future to either 1) replace the avocado orchards, or 2) make them organic. Is there any way future residents can bring these concerns to those responsible? Getting rid of pesticides in these orchards will also benefit the resale value of OH properties - making them more high-end if they reside within organic avocado orchards (think Wholefoods high-end) and will attract more potential buyers if no pesticides are involved.

As a healthcare provider, I'm really concerned about the health of the children who are currently living and playing near these orchards (especially within 200ft) . I'm not here to debate what is true or not, but here are some articles if anyone is interested.
http://www.environment.harvard.edu/docs/faculty_pubs/lu_evidence.pdf

scroll down to see comparison of drawings from preschool children with heavier exposure to pesticideshttp://www.cape.ca/children/neuro6.html

I grew up in a farming community where the crop duster was out spraying every day. My friends dad was actually the pilot and owner of the business. I left at 18 and from what I can tell no one I know has experienced any health issues because of it.

movingtoOC said:
I'm really glad this topic continues to be raised. As a parent of 2 young kids and someone who works in the healthcare field, I want to emphasize pesticide exposure is really detrimental to children's health and development.  Not only children, adults are at risk,  but children and elderly are more vulnerable. I'm interested in purchasing a property in Orchard Hills, but the main deciding factor will be whether the orchards will continue to be sprayed with pesticides. I'm here to ask if anyone knows if there are any plans in the near future to either 1) replace the avocado orchards, or 2) make them organic. Is there any way future residents can bring these concerns to those responsible? Getting rid of pesticides in these orchards will also benefit the resale value of OH properties - making them more high-end if they reside within organic avocado orchards (think Wholefoods high-end) and will attract more potential buyers if no pesticides are involved.

As a healthcare provider, I'm really concerned about the health of the children who are currently living and playing near these orchards (especially within 200ft) . I'm not here to debate what is true or not, but here are some articles if anyone is interested.

scroll down to see comparison of drawings from preschool children with heavier exposure to pesticideshttp://www.cape.ca/children/neuro6.html

Most people on this forum are either oblivious to these hazards or do not seem to care much...  People like you are not the norm, but the movement to a healthier living environment is growing.  Out of curiosity, are pesticides your one and only concern about OH?  Thanks for linking those studies.  What field of healthcare are you specifically in, if you do not mind me asking?

I would be more concerned about living near the I5/air pollution  (CV) or a superfund site (BP) or poorly rated schools / toxic soil (Greenwood).

I get the environmental concerns.  I get why members are asking the questions.  But at some point, you have to draw the line.  Sure, you start with where you live, but what about the schools your kids go to?  Are they on "safe" land?  Are they using "toxic" chemicals for pest control?  Is there mold?  Asbestos?  Highway pollution?  What about your office?  And then do you investigate all the places you lived in growing up?  Did you absorb something back in the day that may have passed down into your children?  I guess I'm just not sure where the concerns starts and stops.

hello said:
movingtoOC said:

Most people on this forum are either oblivious to these hazards or do not seem to care much...  People like you are not the norm, but the movement to a healthier living environment is growing.  Out of curiosity, are pesticides your one and only concern about OH?  Thanks for linking those studies.  What field of healthcare are you specifically in, if you do not mind me asking?

Thanks, I'm glad we share the same sentiments regarding environmental toxins. I'm a physician.

iacrenter said:
I would be more concerned about living near the I5/air pollution  (CV) or a superfund site (BP) or poorly rated schools / toxic soil (Greenwood).

Exactly, which is why I chose not to view properties in those areas.

We come across chemicals everyday - it has got to be some really toxic shit to mess with you otherwise we would all be dead already. The human body is very resilient.

bones said:
I get the environmental concerns.  I get why members are asking the questions.  But at some point, you have to draw the line.  Sure, you start with where you live, but what about the schools your kids go to?  Are they on "safe" land?  Are they using "toxic" chemicals for pest control?  Is there mold?  Asbestos?  Highway pollution?  What about your office?  And then do you investigate all the places you lived in growing up?  Did you absorb something back in the day that may have passed down into your children?  I guess I'm just not sure where the concerns starts and stops.

Draw a line on what? There's no line when it comes to the health of our children IMO. You pick and choose your battles. I cant' change what I've been exposed to growing up so that doesn't concern me, but I can change what my children will be exposed to - that is my responsibility as a parent.

Much with everything in life, you weigh the risks and benefits. I have a right to choose where I live and where my hard earned money goes; however, I also want to educate those who are not aware of the potential health risks so they can make informed decisions. Don't get me wrong, I really like OH (it beat out several of surrounding communities near highways, superfund sites, etc.), but not the pesticide issue.

qwerty said:
We come across chemicals everyday - it has got to be some really toxic shit to mess with you otherwise we would all be dead already. The human body is very resilient.

I'm not talking about stuff that can kill you right this very second, but stuff that silently linger in your body and will cause chronic symptoms/diseases that will impede on your quality of life in the long run.

We don't have to sit around and think we're doomed to exposure to toxic chemicals. We have a right to stop it if it's in our community.

movingtoOC said:
bones said:

Draw a line on what? There's no line when it comes to the health of our children IMO. You pick and choose your battles. I cant' change what I've been exposed to growing up so that doesn't concern me, but I can change what my children will be exposed to - that is my responsibility as a parent.

Much with everything in life, you weigh the risks and benefits. I have a right to choose where I live and where my hard earned money goes; however, I also want to educate those who are not aware of the potential health risks so they can make informed decisions. Don't get me wrong, I really like OH (it beat out several of surrounding communities near highways, superfund sites, etc.), but not the pesticide issue.

So picking and choosing your battles = drawing the line?

bones said:
movingtoOC said:
bones said:

So picking and choosing your battles = drawing the line?

Harvard > doctor :)

qwerty said:
I grew up in a farming community where the crop duster was out spraying every day. My friends dad was actually the pilot and owner of the business. I left at 18 and from what I can tell no one I know has experienced any health issues because of it.

Interesting that you grew up in a farming community - I was just talking about this the other day in mentioning the potential hazards of OH pesticides - and then started thinking about people that own farms that are exposed to this stuff very regularly and close in proximity, and don't end up having health issues.

Honestly, this topic for me, wouldn't have even crossed my mind if it weren't for our kid's symptoms. It didn't even cross my mind as we had visited here several times before making a decision. We've had people comment that they've never seen a kid itch his nose as frequently as he has. I have the same issue too but just deal with it.

We are trying to be really reasonable about it, because there are worse places to live such as the superfund site, or near the I-5 FWY so in comparing OH to that, I think overall this is a better place, but the pesticides are a real concern for us now. And not for us, but for a kid who has no control over his health except to rely on his parents for his well being.

Also, as an FYI, I am not the only one that has expressed concern about symptoms in living here. Others have also commented on other symptoms, albeit, different and actually, worse than the ones we have described.

movingtoOC said:
bones said:

I am also a physician and I share your sentiment on this topic.  I couldnt agree more with what you said above...

I suggest the residents of OH bring this up to HOA so some sort of action takes effect. Anyone know who is currently responsible for the orchards? I called Irvine Valencia growers but they couldn't answer any questions regarding pesticides. If I end up purchasing in OH, I would like to start an interest group of concerned OH parents.

qwerty said:

I dont understand this flawed logic.  So if something doesnt kill us right away, its fine? 

Back