Orchard Hills 4 - "The Summit" Updates

CalBears96, you know I back you up whenever possible. But here, I don't see the controversy in what sleepy5136 has said.

We bought new construction houses in Foothill Ranch and Irvine, and neither sales office volunteered anything to us verbally about anything.

I also like to spend my free time looking at new construction model homes. Occasionally I'll bring up the topic at the sales office, and never has any sales person acknowledged anything to me; they just play dumb and look like they don't want to talk about it. I know it's not serious talk at time of purchase agreement but, just the same, they don't know that I'm not a serious potential buyer.

Thanks for a great thread, Ratchet! Lots of emotion here and lots of activity. Reminds me of the 2020 presidential election.

Do they actually walk you through every page and tell you about each disclosure on each page and then have you initial each page? I have only purchased new construction once and they gave me all of the disclosures and I had to sign everything but they definitely did not walk me through the disclosures.
We were going over the disclosures in the reservation package. When we got to Land Uses and Hazards, she brought out the map and pointed out AAA, landfill, jet fuel and high pressure gas lines, El Toro base, Musick jail. Even the affordable housing in Enclave 3. All of these disclosures were in the package, so there was no point for her to hide anything.

CalBears96, you know I back you up whenever possible. But here, I don't see the controversy in what sleepy5136 has said.

We bought new construction houses in Foothill Ranch and Irvine, and neither sales office volunteered anything to us verbally about anything.

I also like to spend my free time looking at new construction model homes. Occasionally I'll bring up the topic at the sales office, and never has any sales person acknowledged anything to me; they just play dumb and look like they don't want to talk about it. I know it's not serious talk at time of purchase agreement but, just the same, they don't know that I'm not a serious potential buyer.
Disclosures are required by law. I don't think they can NOT volunteer disclosing those details to you and just dump the entire document to you to initialize and sign. And unless you don't look at each page, you would definitely catch something on there, such as "Land Uses and Hazards", which will have to list all the items.

I almost bought. Stop saying people are making shit up. You don't speak for everyone in Irvine. My initial post was to give a different perspective. If you don't agree, good for you. Show some respect to people on the forum and stop acting like your perspective is the ONLY way or the highway. Grow up.
You almost bought, but did you reserve? Like I said, they only go over disclosures when you actually buy, not almost buy.

And didn't you complain about Irvine homes being stacked like sardines? And about MR? So why would you be looking at OW/EW/GP, especially GP? Also, you said that I don't speak for everyone in Irvine, but you do? Even though you didn't buy in Irvine?

And this is about facts, not perspective. Grow up? Yes, you need to grow up. Stop making shit up and act as if they're facts. I listen to other people's perspective, but not shit like "mostly foreign cash buyers". It's not true and you know it's not true, but you still make that shit up anyway.

Last edited:
We were going over the disclosures in the reservation package. When we got to Land Uses and Hazards, she brought out the map and pointed out AAA, landfill, jet fuel and high pressure gas lines, El Toro base, Musick jail. Even the affordable housing in Enclave 3. All of these disclosures were in the package, so there was no point for her to hide anything.
It was the same process with IP at Orchard Hills. They are explicit about this stuff because they don’t want to be sued.

It was the same process with IP at Orchard Hills. They are explicit about this stuff because they don’t want to be sued.
I agree with the above. I just bought in Portola Springs. The reservation appointment was about 1-1.5 hrs long and they go through each disclosure page pretty thoroughly before you cut the check for the EMD.

Disclosures are required by law. I don't think they can NOT volunteer disclosing those details to you and just dump the entire document to you to initialize and sign. And unless you don't look at each page, you would definitely catch something on there, such as "Land Uses and Hazards", which will have to list all the items.
But that's exactly what they did. I wonder if different builders do it differently. I wonder if IP decided to preempt any brushback. Maybe it was a seller's market coming out of COVID in the second half of 2020, and IP just decided what the hell take it or leave it.

Perhaps it's a recent shift in the way business is done, which would be a positive. Or maybe it's limited to some homebuilders.

I'm not sure if people realize but Irvine compared to other cities has probably the most foreigner population in a given city. With that said, if one doesn't speak the language or speaks enough to get by, it's difficult for them to know all this information you guys are providing. They completely rely on their realtors or the builder salesperson. Which realtor/salesperson would be that honest? Even I figured out that there was a jail nearby from reading the disclosures, not from my realtor... So we can't say they "ignore" it, they simply weren't aware and by the time they know, they've been living in the property for years...

Hopefully that gives one a different perspective as to why AAA/Landfills will not deter Irvine buyers/renters.
this is the hill you will probably die alone on. compared to where FCBs come from, AAA or landfill is a nothing burger.

You almost bought, but did you reserve? Like I said, they only go over disclosures when you actually buy, not almost buy.

And didn't you complain about Irvine homes being stacked like sardines? And about MR? So why would you be looking at OW/EW/GP, especially GP? Also, you said that I don't speak for everyone in Irvine, but you do? Even though you didn't buy in Irvine?

And this is about facts, not perspective. Grow up? Yes, you need to grow up. Stop making shit up and act as if they're facts. I listen to other people's perspective, but not shit like "mostly foreign cash buyers". It's not true and you know it's not true, but you still make that shit up anyway.
I have no obligation to disclose anything to you regarding my home buying process.

I don't have an issue with your opinion. I have an issue when you try to say I'm making shit up without "facts". You're basically invalidating my opinion and acting as if your opinion is right and that my opinion is wrong. Very childish behavior.

Lastly, from seeing peoples posts, it seems like disclosures being disclosed in person is something that is salesperson dependent. By law, as long as it's in the document and you sign it, that's the only thing that matters legally speaking.

And as @CogNeuroSci said, there is no controversy in what I said. I'm simply giving a different perspective.

Last edited:
Back in the day my parents sat through a signing appointment with the builder agent (no agent of their own) where they explained the disclosures (I was young kid at the time). They probably understood fifty percent of what was said but signed anyway. Sure it was careless but sometimes people are desperate for a home. My personal experience. Nothing controversial with sleepyhead’s post.

Sales people #1 job is to close the deal. They don't got time to go through disclosures.

giphy.gif

I bought a home in OH last year. Similar to what CalBears96 experienced, the IP saleslady sitting across from us went through the disclosure page by page and explained everything. This is during the actual buying process.

So it seems that everyone who reported their salespeople explicitly went through disclosures with them bought from IP? Is that true? Is there an exception here? If so, please let us know.

Seems to be standard practice at IP.
I think it's smart. IP understands that people don't give a rat's butt what you tell them. They want Irvine, they want IP, and they are going to buy no matter what.

The secondary benefit is that buyers will be able to compare their IP experience with other people's stories with other homebuilders, and IP's transparency will serve as a differentiator as far as honesty and ethical business. I think the psychology is simple and meaningful.

this forum is a small community and for us to generalize a process or standard when none of us work for IP is ridiculous.

They did not go over this with me at the time and instead told me to read it myself and initial. Because the demand for these homes are so high and they have so many people waiting in line.

this forum is a small community and for us to generalize a process or standard when none of us work for IP is ridiculous.

They did not go over this with me at the time and instead told me to read it myself and initial. Because the demand for these homes are so high and they have so many people waiting in line.
Ok, Sleepy bought with IP and they did not tell him. So there's an exception with IP! Apparently IP is not consistent with that.

Back