Orange County Great Park: Sports park, water park, ice rink, golf course

iacrenter said:
A big thanks to all the GP buyers for allowing me to play at the sports fields, while you pay the double MR :)

Enjoy!!! Life too short to gated up everything. Makes it feel like prison. This is the way it should be. Free to roam.

https://firenewsfeed.com/sports/1756074
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/07/...-fields-open-at-the-orange-county-great-park/

Another 48 acres of sports fields open at the Orange County Great Park

OCRegister ? Sports ?

?A slew of playing fields and basketball courts constructed at the Orange County Great Park recently opened to the public, as Irvine continues its development of one of the largest multi-sport complexes in the country.

The recent addition of synthetic soccer and lacrosse fields, four basketball courts, natural turf that can accommodate four more soccer fields and parking lots across 48 acres is the second phase in the creation of the 194-acre sports park.

The city-owned Great Park now boasts 24 soccer/lacrosse fields and will eventually feature a mile-long trail from Irvine Boulevard to the championship soccer stadium, 12 baseball and softball fields ? slated to open later this year ? a second children?s play area, a 2.5-mile wildlife corridor and agricultural fields by the end of 2019.

An 18-hole golf course is expected to be completed by 2020.

?What is emerging throughout the Great Park is what will be the fourth largest multi-sport complex in the country,? Craig Reem, the city?s director of public affairs and communications, said.

Developer FivePoint is will spend around $250 million to build 688 acres of the Great Park, including the sports park, in return for concessions from the city to build 4,600 homes nearby. The facilities are being turned over to the city as they are completed.

In a separate project, Great Park Ice, a $100 million, 27,000-square-foot ice skating rink will open nearby in the park later this year. The facility will be paid for, maintained and operated by an Anaheim Ducks affiliate.

One recent evening, the South Slammers FC girls soccer team ran drills and played a practice game on one of the new synthetic fields.

The team christened the fields several days before, coach Cory Dilbeck said. The team also practices on the natural-turf fields in another part of the park, he said, adding that he prefers the synthetic fields during cooler temperatures.

?You never have to worry about the surface on this,? he said. ?It?s always going to be perfect. Those other fields take a beating.?

The new fields won the approval of Ella Kehlenbeck, 15, a Mission Viejo resident who plays center back for the Slammers.

?Now that?s it?s turf, it just holds everything better,? she said.

In August 2017, the first phase of the complex opened: 25 tennis courts, seven natural turf fields, a 5,000-seat soccer stadium, five sand volleyball courts and a children?s play area on 53 acres.

Last month, the park added beach volleyball lessons for all levels to its list of amenities. Instructor Megan Armstrong with VolleyOC worked with four players one recent Thursday evening on passing and body control.

?We?re just teaching the bare basics just to get the technical stuff and then we can start getting involved in actual play,? she said.

Several hundred yards away in the new basketball courts, Ayush Nayak, 10, was clad in Golden State Warriors gear from head to toe as he practiced layups and his jump shot from as far as 20 feet out.

Nayak?s family recently moved to Chino Hills from Pleasanton and only found the park during an internet search, his father, Debajyoti said.

?He loves basketball, so this is wonderful,? the older Nayak said before suggesting the addition of a food court. ?If some food court were there, I?m happy to stay morning to evening.?

For a list of amenities or to register for classes at he Great Park, go to cityofirvine.org.?

Dude came from Chino Hills just to play at GPN Basketball courts!?  That belongs in WTF thread fo sho.

It would be great for the city to pick up a Smithsonian satellite complex!

Irvine Mayor Wagner Says Great Park May Get Smithsonian
https://voiceofoc.org/2018/07/reiff...or-agran-says-great-park-may-get-smithsonian/

?Wagner said the city has retained a consultant and is talking with the Smithsonian Institution about putting a museum on part of the 260-acre Cultural Terrace at the Great Park. The Smithsonian will provide the ?treasures? to display, but the city needs to work out the financing, Wagner said. He said the museum would likely focus on natural history, including dinosaur exhibits.?

In the video, after the 05:20 minute mark, the mayor discusses the possible Smithsonian complex at the Great Park, Cultural Terrace, other museum proposals, and a permanent music venue.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=566s&v=SdcJvXRdGyU

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=566s&v=SdcJvXRdGyU

I think retail is what's missing in that area.
Build something like WB town center. Homes there will sell like hot cakes.

Mety said:
I think retail is what's missing in that area.
Build something like WB town center. Homes there will sell like hot cakes.

Agreed.  Base Camp needs to be developed quickly.  Also, that county land south of marine way could REALLY use some retail too, but politics will probably never let that happen  :mad:

On a slightly related note, Marine way needs to be rerouted to line up with the 5 North onramp.  I can't even count the # of times people mistakenly get in the left lane onto marine way from sand canyon when trying to get on the 5 South onramp.  So many close calls and a couple accidents. I'm pretty sure it was noted on my home docs that it was going to happen sooner than later,  but the Irvine City website has no info about it.

The throughput on marine way does not provide enough traffic to flow when the cultural terrace, wild rivers, great park concerts, etc eventually get built out. 

Interesting... The new Great Park Rinks has plans to host badminton, basketball and volleyball events, too.

Ducks? new state-of-the-art practice facility taking shape at Great Park in Irvine
Elliott Teaford

August 9, 2018 at 4:32 pm
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/08/...acility-taking-shape-at-great-park-in-irvine/

index.php

index.php

?IRVINE ? The sounds of construction echoed through the Ducks? new practice facility Thursday at the Great Park. Workers assembled the floor-to-ceiling windows along the eastern side of the building. Others drove forklifts here and there. Still others worked on door frames and aluminum duct work.

By December, if all goes as scheduled, the workers will be replaced by hockey players, figure skaters, mothers and fathers, coaches and spectators. The din of hammers and saws and trucks will be replaced by skates gliding along the ice and pucks launched from sticks.

Construction is roughly 65 percent completed.
Sometime in January, the Ducks are expected to hold their first practice in the new $104-million building, which is comprised of four rinks, including a 2,500-seat arena. It will be home not only to the Ducks, but to youth hockey programs, and will serve as a U.S. Figure Skating facility. Olympians such as Nathan Chen and Ashley Wagner are expected to train at the Great Park.

A full-service restaurant, a team store, a pro shop plus training facilities also will be housed in the state-of-the-art building, the largest in California at 280,000 square feet. Three of the rinks will be standard NHL-sized at 200 feet by 75. The fourth will be an Olympic-sized rink at 200 feet by 100.

?We?re hoping it will be one of the best in the United States,? said Art Trottier, vice president of The Rinks, the Ducks? group of nine facilities stretching from Lakewood to Anaheim and from Corona to Poway. ?We looked at the new facilities in Pittsburgh. We looked at the one in San Jose.?

Trottier dreamed for many years of building a facility that was an upgrade on Anaheim Ice, the Frank Gehry-designed practice home of the Ducks since 1994-95. The Ducks quickly outgrew the two-rink building and plans accelerated when Henry and Susan Samueli bought the team in 2005.

?This was always on their minds, since they purchased the team,? Trottier said of the Samuelis. ?There was always a goal of building our own complex. This is the first new construction (in Orange County) since Anaheim Ice.?

The Great Park, on the site of the former Marine Corps Air Station El Toro, already has facilities for soccer, tennis and volleyball on part of its 1,300-acre plot of land near the junction of I-5 and I-405, at the eastern edge of Irvine.

The Ducks? new facility, privately financed through a foundation run by the Samuelis, also will host curling, short track speed skating and sled hockey in addition to hockey and figure skating. There are plans to host badminton, basketball and volleyball events, too.

The primary focus will be on hockey and figure skating. Demand for ice time has been great across The Rinks? network, according to Trottier. The new facility will ease some of the burden shared by rinks in Orange, Los Angeles, Riverside and San Diego counties.

?This is a great investment for the community, for the city of Irvine,? he said.

It also gives the Ducks the ability to spread their wings in ways they couldn?t in their previous home, or at Honda Center, where they have practiced more often than not since Randy Carlyle became their coach in the first of his two stints in 2005-06. The weight and locker rooms will be bigger and better, for example.

?We think it?s going to work,? Trottier said. ?Hockey is still growing here. Ice is impacted right now. Everyone talks hockey, but it?s going to be a great asset to the community because everybody can use it, if they want to try figure skating, if they want to play broom ball, if they want to have a birthday party.

?You can do anything here with this space.?

Attachments

• E3BA6E3B-DB84-4A5A-A67E-FBE5262C1F2F.png
    E3BA6E3B-DB84-4A5A-A67E-FBE5262C1F2F.png
    1 MB · Views: 1,845
  • FE2B9C05-4319-450D-B961-F6AFCDE879D2.png
    FE2B9C05-4319-450D-B961-F6AFCDE879D2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,895
http://www.latimes.com/sports/ducks/la-sp-ducks-practice-facility-20180810-story.html

New 280,000-foot ice arena in Irvine will have four practice rinks for Ducks, figure skaters

By Curtis Zupke

Mounds of dirt sit in the space that will be used by thousands of kids on ice skates.

The ground-level concession stand and skate shop have exposed beams but will soon be bustling with families. And the expansive upstairs lobby is where countless parents will watch their children.

The Great Park Ice skating facility is a construction site, but it?s not difficult to envision that it might someday help produce the next locally trained NHL player or Olympics figure skater.

?I don?t think it?s that far off,? said Art Trottier, vice president of the Ducks? RINKS program that has grown hockey at the grassroots level through the development of local ice rinks.

The $104-million, four-rink venue in Irvine is set to open in December as the area?s crown jewel, a modern arena for the south Orange County community and beyond, as well as a state-of-the-art practice hub for the Ducks. At 280,000-square feet, it will be the largest skating complex in California.

The centerpiece is FivePoint Arena, with seating for 2,500 people and a scoreboard, concession stand and press box. The upstairs lobby runs the length of all four rinks allowing spectators to look down on the action, and it will contain a restaurant.

It will be a training ground for U.S. Figure Skating and can also be used for speed skating, sled hockey and curling. Trottier said it fulfills the vision of Ducks owners Henry and Susan Samueli, who paid for the project and have a 30-year lease on the land.

?This was always on their mind since they bought the team [in 2005],? Trottier said. ?It?s been phenomenal to work with them. They have that mindset, ?Let?s build the sport?

Hockey has grown immensely locally over the past decade, but there hasn?t been a centralized multiple-purpose facility like this. Todd Marchant, director of player development for the Ducks, has two sons and two daughters who have all participated in the Junior Ducks and Lady Ducks youth programs.

?It seemed like we?d all be carting off to different rinks? in Yorba Linda, Lakewood and Anaheim, Marchant said. ?And now, to have it all in one place is huge.

?My only wish is that the facility would have opened 10 years ago.?

Trottier said the organization looked at modern NHL practice facilities and arenas of the Pittsburgh Penguins and Detroit Red Wings as a reference point for design. Each rink has at least six locker rooms. There will be a team store next to the skate shop. The parking lot will house 1,000 spaces.

The figure skating wing includes a sauna, ballet room, dance room, recovery room and music room.?They?re bringing in a grand piano,? Trottier said.

Figure skaters will begin using the rinks after the New Year to train for events such as the ISU Four Continents championship at Honda Center in February.

New, updated practice digs can be a selling point for NHL teams to lure players. The Kings recently renovated their El Segundo complex to include a new locker room, an upstairs gym and downstairs players lounge area. They converted the former Lakers practice court into a dry land practice shooting area that will be open to the public in October, a team official said.

At Great Park, the Ducks will have their own dedicated locker room, replete with a weight room, kitchen, hot and cold Jacuzzis and sauna. There are upstairs offices and conference rooms for staff. It?s not expected to be the Ducks? everyday practice venue right away but could evolve into that, instead of Anaheim Ice, given that many Ducks players live around the area.

Marchant, a member of the Ducks? 2007 Stanley Cup championship team, said a top-rate rink can be integral to an NHL team.

?You want to be able to have the things you need to give yourself the best chance for success,? Marchant said. ?If that means having the right facilities, the amenities that you might need, and to be able to partner that with the youth program, it?s a win-win situation.?

Anaheim Ice, designed by noted architect Frank Gehry, has a whimsically curved roofline but is somewhat impractical in size and has just two rinks. The Great Park building doesn?t have the quirky Gehry touch, although the blue-colored front facade is designed as a rolling ocean wave.

Metaphorically, it?s the wave of the future.

Attachments

• 8A2D0B82-73D9-404D-A300-0CA24AAE7F71.png
    8A2D0B82-73D9-404D-A300-0CA24AAE7F71.png
    864.9 KB · Views: 245
  • 05ACE1B8-6857-4D6E-B6A3-A3132D979FE9.png
    05ACE1B8-6857-4D6E-B6A3-A3132D979FE9.png
    390.4 KB · Views: 180
  • 3731ED30-487A-4120-98B2-893C0CDCB052.png
    3731ED30-487A-4120-98B2-893C0CDCB052.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 208
  • 01148973-6D01-4EFE-A417-09883710703F.png
    01148973-6D01-4EFE-A417-09883710703F.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 973
The city recently provided some updates on the Great Park features and infrastructure:
http://www.cityofirvine.org/inside-irvine/current-issue

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Attachments

• CA33EE78-8E50-4389-89A9-ED1819E45ACC.png
    CA33EE78-8E50-4389-89A9-ED1819E45ACC.png
    454.3 KB · Views: 961
  • 89BD59E0-D2C9-4F03-9779-85C483D01BF9.png
    89BD59E0-D2C9-4F03-9779-85C483D01BF9.png
    808.6 KB · Views: 1,023
  • 7077CE5C-4AA8-477F-B570-0B90250A733A.png
    7077CE5C-4AA8-477F-B570-0B90250A733A.png
    445.3 KB · Views: 927
  • 24216C4D-1F77-4A0F-9C1F-664B921AD6DD.png
    24216C4D-1F77-4A0F-9C1F-664B921AD6DD.png
    404 KB · Views: 945
So I will be able to take Marine way and hit Alton or Barranca?  Sweet.  If they went under the RR tracks right at Costco intersection that would be awesome.

aquabliss said:
So I will be able to take Marine way and hit Alton or Barranca?  Sweet.  If they went under the RR tracks right at Costco intersection that would be awesome.

You have no idea how badly I want this to happen.  Having to go from the Great Park via Ridge Valley to Marine Way to Sand Canyon to Laguna Canyon to Technology is really annoying, especially when you can SEE Ridge valley on the way there. 

I would love this too, but we're really complaining about a first world problem.  I'm not holding my breath, remember Jeffrey and Sand Canyon construction at the railroad tracks, it was years before it finished and traffic was horrible those few years. 

id_rather_be_racing said:
aquabliss said:

You have no idea how badly I want this to happen.  Having to go from the Great Park via Ridge Valley to Marine Way to Sand Canyon to Laguna Canyon to Technology is really annoying, especially when you can SEE Ridge valley on the way there. 

aquabliss said:

Hey thanks, I didn't even know your way existed... I will be using it going forward.

aquabliss said:
aquabliss said:

Hey thanks, I didn't even know your way existed... I will be using it going forward.

Technology didn't used to connect to Laguna Canyon, It is relatively new construction.

paperboyNC said:
aquabliss said:
aquabliss said:

Technology didn't used to connect to Laguna Canyon, It is relatively new construction.

Yup, they connected Technology earlier this year.  it's the fastest way to get there if you live east of the 5 on sand canyon.

Play Ball at new Baseball Stadium at Great Park on September 16 

The community is invited to a free event on Sunday, Sept. 16, with a new starting time from 1-1:30 p.m., to officially open the new baseball stadium at the Orange County Great Park.  Free parking.

Attachments

• 8AB091CA-5223-44DE-95EE-9BC70DEA94E7.png
    8AB091CA-5223-44DE-95EE-9BC70DEA94E7.png
    401.2 KB · Views: 1,095
My work is close to spectrum. and I live at GP. WHen I go to work I do take 133/405/Irvine Center drive. but on the way back i do take irvine center drive/barranca/technology/laguna canyon. Somehow its all right turns with two left turns I think, and in my mind it makes me feel like this route is more faster than taking freeway back. I do wish technology and marine way connected. it will be super cool.

paperboyNC said:
aquabliss said:
aquabliss said:

Yup, they connected Technology earlier this year.  it's the fastest way to get there if you live east of the 5 on sand canyon.

Water polo complex proposed at Great Park could make Irvine a 2028 Olympic venue

Alicia Robinson PUBLISHED: August 31, 2018 at 12:31 pm | UPDATED: August 31, 2018 at 12:31 pm Local News, News
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/08/...k-could-make-irvine-a-2028-olympic-venue/amp/

index.php

?A $50 million pool complex proposed at Irvine?s Great Park could be a 2028 Los Angeles Olympics venue, if USA Water polo ? the sport?s official governing body in the U.S. ? and city officials can work out a deal.

Water polo officials will begin negotiating with the city to put a facility on Irvine-owned land near an ice rink under construction that will host Anaheim Ducks practices, giving sports fans a choice of fresh or frozen water.

Similar to the city?s deal for the $104 million ice rink, Irvine would lease property to USA Water Polo, which would pay to build and operate the pool complex. The city would be guaranteed a negotiated amount of time for the public to use the facility.

?This is a thing that the council has been talking about working on for about a decade now,? Mayor Don Wagner said. ?This is a venue that could be, and ideally would be, available for the 2028 Olympic games.?

READ MORE at:
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/08/...k-could-make-irvine-a-2028-olympic-venue/amp/

index.php

index.php

Attachments

• C89AFC8F-159F-4CBA-AFC5-BD4F44354ABC.png
    C89AFC8F-159F-4CBA-AFC5-BD4F44354ABC.png
    932.7 KB · Views: 1,426
  • 352F4619-1C29-4968-A57B-27D1ACD8CBCF.png
    352F4619-1C29-4968-A57B-27D1ACD8CBCF.png
    554.6 KB · Views: 1,312
  • B0BD47E5-8219-48CC-8730-2A22C6B47BAA.png
    B0BD47E5-8219-48CC-8730-2A22C6B47BAA.png
    614.1 KB · Views: 1,321