Opinion on Portola Springs lower end homes, 700-850k

Mety said:
Portola Springs in general doesn't perform as well as other newer Irvine areas in terms of resales, but it may change in 10-15 years as you're planning to live that long.

I don't think you have to buy detached. Attached homes these days are built pretty well and the attached walls are not like bedroom to bedroom like how it was in old homes. There would be noise issues if you have a lousy neighbor, but that could also be the case for detached since there aren't that much space in between homes anyways for these newer villages. I would get a good lot. Like no one in front/back or less neighbors surrounding your home.

I actually like Carissa/Brisa (2-story ones) more than Montara because of the price difference and the floor plans. I think Montara is way overpriced and you might actually find lower priced ones from Silverleaf resales. They are the exact same floorplans. The tri-level ones would be tough if you have babies since you have to carry them all the time, but if your kids are grown, it could be not that bad. Celeste/Luna(resale) might be also a better buy for detached in PS.

However, if you can do $800k-ish, try to get one in Stonegate, Eastwood, or even Woodbury. SG and EW have less MR also and much better value as most here will agree.

Mety aka the disciple has spoken. ;)

Mety said:
Portola Springs in general doesn't perform as well as other newer Irvine areas in terms of resales, but it may change in 10-15 years as you're planning to live that long.

I don't think you have to buy detached. Attached homes these days are built pretty well and the attached walls are not like bedroom to bedroom like how it was in old homes. There would be noise issues if you have a lousy neighbor, but that could also be the case for detached since there aren't that much space in between homes anyways for these newer villages. I would get a good lot. Like no one in front/back or less neighbors surrounding your home.

I actually like Carissa/Brisa (2-story ones) more than Montara because of the price difference and the floor plans. I think Montara is way overpriced and you might actually find lower priced ones from Silverleaf resales. They are the exact same floorplans. The tri-level ones would be tough if you have babies since you have to carry them all the time, but if your kids are grown, it could be not that bad. Celeste/Luna(resale) might be also a better buy for detached in PS.

However, if you can do $800k-ish, try to get one in Stonegate, Eastwood, or even Woodbury. SG and EW have less MR also and much better value as most here will agree.
I agree with Mety. So long as you go in with both eyes open (don't expect to sell your PS house for as much as homes in surrounding neighborhoods), PS is a fine place to live. But if MAX ROI is something you are expecting, PS is not for you.

We?re definitely leaning toward Brisa/Carissa plan 3 after seeing the areas again. The two story end unit. After looking at the move in ready homes at Montara we just didn?t like how cramped you felt. No view, right out your window is the next house, less light coming in as well. We like the design of Montara inside a lot better, but that?s likely due to them being larger. The non stacked laundry is a big plus though, but stacked and upstairs is still not bad.

Problem is Carissa is March move in and Brisa is December and Brisa has a higher base price, they said because the land was more expensive there. It would give us more time to save up for move in costs, but we?d also have to stay with one of our parents longer than expected.

The thing is if we get an attached home Brisa/Carissa will likely be it since they?re the only ones offering us a rate in the 3.5% range. Other lenders either won?t lend at only 10% down on an attached condo or rates in the 4.15-4.25 range. Also about 10k in rebate from our agent which helps with the down payment. The rate is partially why we were looking at detached condos since we could get a good rate on those.

Out of curiosity have you looked at Lake Forest at all? Once you are in PS, Lake Forest is not far off.

You may be able to get a SFH for your budget. The big unknow is the school district, I have no clue how good it is.

marmott said:
Out of curiosity have you looked at Lake Forest at all? Once you are in PS, Lake Forest is not far off.

You may be able to get a SFH for your budget. The big unknow is the school district, I have no clue how good it is.

We did actually. There were a couple small SFR we liked, but didn't like the area that much. We also looked at Laguna Woods, but for the money also didn't like the area. Laguna was getting far from our families and work as well.

I think also a big factor is financial security, in that out of all the areas we feel the most comfortable putting a huge chunk of our income into a house there. Orange or Lake Forest we'd be a bit scared.

I?ll take PS over Lake Forest.  LF is really good value compared to Irvine but just the school district alone, Irvine is much better.

PS has Irvine address, Irvine school district and Lake Forest price, can?t go wrong with that.

@TCT:

For the price difference, I'm still recommending detached over attached.

Did you factor in the additional HOA/interest cost?

lnc said:
I?ll take PS over Lake Forest.  LF is really good value compared to Irvine but just the school district alone, Irvine is much better.

PS has Irvine address, Irvine school district and Lake Forest price, can?t go wrong with that.

But with a single family you can possibly add a separate unit in the back of the house or build a McMansion.  ;)

irvinehomeowner said:
@TCT:

Definitely, it?s the main reason why we are leaning toward attached there.

1. Cal pacific and us bank are offering us the same rate on attached and detached. We were quoted 3.5% on Sunday.
2. The HOA is $120 more a month, but since the HOA has insurance that apparently covers the house we only need standard homeowners insurance for inside belongings, liability etc we were told. So this balances out as we were planning on about that for hazard insurance on the SFR. Correct me if this sounds wrong.
3. Mello roos is about 500/yr less on attached. No much, but something.

You could also factor in exterior maintenance as well, but that?s different for each person.

So basically we are getting the same ?extra? costs as a SFR, HOA and loan rate. That eliminates the savings we?d get on these things by going detached vs attached. That?s why earlier I said if we do get attached it?ll be in PS. Resale would be a detached due to these extra costs.

TCT - we bought at Carissa and are very happy. The neighborhood is quiet and nice. We don't have kids so the three story is no issue for us, but the two story option on the plan 3 sounds good for you.

I see a lot of less than positive things about PS on here but we like it!

We picked Carissa over Brisa because Brisa is so close to the toll road. The views from Brisa are really nice, and that area feels secluded (in a good way), but the unit we were considering was SO CLOSE to the toll road and we did not like it.

TCT said:
irvinehomeowner said:
@TCT:

1. Cal pacific and us bank are offering us the same rate on attached and detached. We were quoted 3.5% on Sunday.
2. The HOA is $120 more a month, but since the HOA has insurance that apparently covers the house we only need standard homeowners insurance for inside belongings, liability etc we were told. So this balances out as we were planning on about that for hazard insurance on the SFR. Correct me if this sounds wrong.

You could also factor in exterior maintenance as well, but that?s different for each person.

So basically we are getting the same ?extra? costs as a SFR, HOA and loan rate. That eliminates the savings we?d get on these things by going detached vs attached. That?s why earlier I said if we do get attached it?ll be in PS. Resale would be a detached due to these extra costs.

Very good reasons listed.

Detached homes WILL cost extras in long runs. Sure, they tend to sell quicker and better, but at the same time you put in that much more money to start with so it's not like you're getting anything EXTRA more in return. Attached homes especially new ones from CalPac and IP are pretty good choices. There ARE some attached homes you definitely want to avoid, but these homes you're looking for are fine IMHO. The key is in the LOT LOCATION rather than attached vs. detached for these new homes.

moc said:
TCT - we bought at Carissa and are very happy. The neighborhood is quiet and nice. We don't have kids so the three story is no issue for us, but the two story option on the plan 3 sounds good for you.

We picked Carissa over Brisa because Brisa is so close to the toll road. The views from Brisa are really nice, and that area feels secluded (in a good way), but the unit we were considering was SO CLOSE to the toll road and we did not like it.

I actually like the plan3 the best. I just love having a living area up. It seemed pretty spacious too. I would've bought it if I was a single or didn't have kids.

eyephone said:
Mety said:

Mety aka the disciple has spoken. ;)

The disciple of Christ? Then yes. Of BTB/YF? Maybe... ;)

Plan 3 is nice but our least favorite personally, because we wanted a bedroom on the ground floor and all three bedrooms in Plan 3 are up on the second floor. We liked all of the layouts at Carissa and Brisa though, it was just about personal preference.

Mety said:
moc said:

I actually like the plan3 the best. I just love having a living area up. It seemed pretty spacious too. I would've bought it if I was a single or didn't have kids.

HOA is cheaper in West Irvine and very little MR, about 2-3k less and expires soon, that should more than cover any additional costs for detached.  I will always be in the detached camp if you can afford or stretch a bit.  But some people do like the new home smell, just hope your attached neighbors don't ruin it  8)  You'll find multiple horror stories on Nextdoor and some here on the forums. Not to say you can't have horrible neighbors in a detached home, but being attached makes things a lot worse. 

Some cons to PS since there have been some pros listed

Selling detached is easier anywhere, not just PS
PS is considered a value village to most on the forums so will sell less than other comparable homes (I know ppl who would never buy in PS and others regretted it and sold)
Some people think PS is in the boonies and too far from everything
No retail close by are complaints by others
Coyote issues with pets/young ones
Is PS close enough to the hills for potential wild fire problems
Close to the landfill, odor issue, some say yes, some say no, there was a street near the toll road in one of the first PS villages where 5 or 6 homes on the same street were on sale, potential issue or coincidence

TCT said:
irvinehomeowner said:
@TCT:

moc said:
Plan 3 is nice but our least favorite personally, because we wanted a bedroom on the ground floor and all three bedrooms in Plan 3 are up on the second floor. We liked all of the layouts at Carissa and Brisa though, it was just about personal preference.

Mety said:
moc said:

I'm sorry, is it plan2 you bought? Is that the one with one bed in 1st, living in 2nd, and two bedrooms in 3rd? I meant that one was my personal favorite. Maybe it's the plan2.

Mety said:
TCT said:
irvinehomeowner said:
@TCT:

Detached homes WILL cost extras in long runs. Sure, they tend to sell quicker and better, but at the same time you put in that much more money to start with so it's not like you're getting anything EXTRA more in return. Attached homes especially new ones from CalPac and IP are pretty good choices. There ARE some attached homes you definitely want to avoid, but these homes you're looking for are fine IMHO. The key is in the LOT LOCATION rather than attached vs. detached for these new homes.

Not that these are available, this is an old site plan I have. We?d prefer  an end unit, I remember there definitely being a premium on the end units. It seems like the obvious choice would be the side circled in red right? There is a hill there with vegetation, no homes except up over the hill I think Altair.

Are there any downsides to the red side other than maybe closer to a wildfire?

Edit: sorry image didn?t attach

Attachments

• E2EF43D9-07F8-4583-A383-8E802215B5CE.png
    E2EF43D9-07F8-4583-A383-8E802215B5CE.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 146
TCT said:
Mety said:
TCT said:
irvinehomeowner said:
@TCT:

Not that these are available, this is an old site plan I have. We?d prefer  an end unit, I remember there definitely being a premium on the end units. It seems like the obvious choice would be the side circled in red right? There is a hill there with vegetation, no homes except up over the hill I think Altair.

Are there any downsides to the red side other than maybe closer to a wildfire?

Yes, an end unit is the way to go. The only downside for some of these would be if it's on a street, there might be some car noise/pollution, but a small street might be ok except you might hear some teens with Ferrari and some douche with Mustang/Cobra roaring. This is common in anywhere in Irvine especially for newly built.

On a hill with vegetation, I can imagine some coyotes sneaking in and out, but since PS has many people now, they might have already been scared away. I don't live in PS so I can't speak for it. Maybe someone who lives there can answer?

We actually have the 1X. It's smaller than the Plan 2 but very similar layout - bed/full bath on 1, all living on two, two beds/two baths on three.

Mety said:
moc said:

Mety said:
moc said:

I'm sorry, is it plan2 you bought? Is that the one with one bed in 1st, living in 2nd, and two bedrooms in 3rd? I meant that one was my personal favorite. Maybe it's the plan2.

Back