Omg! 0.30 kW/hour!!

What do you think is causing the phantom energy draw?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Our idle average is around 0.20-0.25 kWh. This is when no one is home. So the only thing running would be the refrigerator, NAS and phantom load.

WTTCMN said:
Just got my SCE bill.  Apparently, none of my AC "conservation" efforts worked.  I used 1,047 kWh this month (versus ~1,080 last month).  Sigh.  But on the bright side, I got a ~$30 discount for what I think is the summer energy savings plan (listed as "A/C Cycling discount" on my bill).

Oh my!  But you have a bigger house so you probably get more allocation in Tier 1 than me.

My electric bill is looking very nice after the repair and I am thoroughly enjoying cranking the AC to 75 degrees in the house.  I know things are well when the kids complain it's too cold in the house.  haha

No more heat rash for the baby!!

ZeroLot said:
WTTCMN said:
Just got my SCE bill.  Apparently, none of my AC "conservation" efforts worked.  I used 1,047 kWh this month (versus ~1,080 last month).  Sigh.  But on the bright side, I got a ~$30 discount for what I think is the summer energy savings plan (listed as "A/C Cycling discount" on my bill).

Oh my!  But you have a bigger house so you probably get more allocation in Tier 1 than me.

My electric bill is looking very nice after the repair and I am thoroughly enjoying cranking the AC to 75 degrees in the house.  I know things are well when the kids complain it's too cold in the house.  haha

what is your normal temperature in the house if you dont run the a/c? Mine can get up to 85 downstairs. Normally it is 82-83.

Chairman said:
ZeroLot said:
WTTCMN said:

what is your normal temperature in the house if you dont run the a/c? Mine can get up to 85 downstairs. Normally it is 82-83.

Do you at least have the ceiling fan/regular fan on?

I'm thinking about OSARMing it and going TOU elec plan.

Primetime is noon to 6pm on weekdays and no one is even home during that time.

Too bad OS isn't here to tell us more about it.

Chairman said:
ZeroLot said:
WTTCMN said:

Yes that's about right for our place too.  Although one time it got to 88 degrees during the summer and it cause a lot of problems with products and food in the house.  Bananas, bread, and chocolate don't like 88 degrees.

We do have the ceiling fans upstairs running 24/7.  If we had vaulted ceiling on the 1st floor I would consider installing a ceiling fan downstairs too.

ZeroLot said:
Chairman said:
ZeroLot said:
WTTCMN said:

Yes that's about right for our place too.  Although one time it got to 88 degrees during the summer and it cause a lot of problems with products and food in the house.  Bananas, bread, and chocolate don't like 88 degrees.

We do have the ceiling fans upstairs running 24/7.  If we had vaulted ceiling on the 1st floor I would consider installing a ceiling fan downstairs too.

My bananas ripen super fast too. Have had to put out a bowl of apple cider, saran wrapped, poked with holes to catch fruit flies.

Chairman said:
My bananas ripen super fast too. Have had to put out a bowl of apple cider, saran wrapped, poked with holes to catch fruit flies.

So you have fruit flies too at your place!  I thought it was just me.

I use this to catch them:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CRYOPMQ/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was enjoying these lower electricity bills since the heat passed but I guess Christmas lights and our heater are electric hogs too.

This December's bill was over $100!! Maybe solar is prime time. :(

irvinehomeowner said:
I was enjoying these lower electricity bills since the heat passed but I guess Christmas lights and our heater are electric hogs too.

This December's bill was over $100!! Maybe solar is prime time. :(

I'd kill for $100 bill. My last bill was $257.47. Getting scared of when our first Summer in this house hits. May need to do solar before the Summer. I never had a bill below $100 even at our old 2 bedroom apartment in the Winter.

SubSolar said:
I'd kill for $100 bill. My last bill was $257.47. Getting scared of when our first Summer in this house hits. May need to do solar before the Summer. I never had a bill below $100 even at our old 2 bedroom apartment in the Winter.
Is that in Irvine?

Our bills in our other homes in Irvine were rarely above $100.

Yep, Jasmine Cypress Village. Didn't even use the AC much if at all this last month too. We are a tech family though, multiple dual screen computers, laptops, 85" TV, 60" TV, 11 speaker surround with with subwoofer, receiver, amps, etc.

our december bill was 166, in december of 2013 it was about 97.  only difference is two space heaters that are on overnight. the regular heater is gas. didnt realize those suckers use up so much energy (im guessing that is causing the increase since that is the only difference i can think of.

Our heater is gas also but I believe there is still some electricity consumption for the HVAC as a whole (no way near what an AC uses).

SubSolar said:
Yep, Jasmine Cypress Village. Didn't even use the AC much if at all this last month too. We are a tech family though, multiple dual screen computers, laptops, 85" TV, 60" TV, 11 speaker surround with with subwoofer, receiver, amps, etc.

Any complaints from neighbors yet?  FCBs love death metal.

Back