Omg! 0.30 kW/hour!!

What do you think is causing the phantom energy draw?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ZeroLot said:
I'll just mist them down with the hose until the builder comes to fix this mess.

Good luck. Hopefully the builder doesn't try to give you the runaround given that nothing seems wrong at first glance. Especially since they already sent out an electrician who said everything was fine.

qwerty said:
ZeroLot said:
I'll just mist them down with the hose until the builder comes to fix this mess.

Good luck. Hopefully the builder doesn't try to give you the runaround given that nothing seems wrong at first glance. Especially since they already sent out an electrician who said everything was fine.

Builder actually responded really quick. Someone came over and thought it was weird that I was having this issue at all.  Again they assumed it was the numbers were normal and it was the fridge causing this mess.  Poor fridge, always the scapegoat.

Like you said, at first glance they thought it was Edison's problem.  When I showed him the massive log I had of the activities and the FAU humming 24/7 the problem has bee solved.

It is official there is something wrong with the circuit board.  When the FAU (discovered the writing was not FAV) is off my power usages drops to 0.27 kW per hour in the day time.

So to all those who accused me of using too much electricity ... BEAT THAT!!!!!

qwerty said:
so what is the FAU?  congrats on identifying the problem. arent you glad you didnt sign a solar lease :)

Yeah, so glad I didn't lock myself into a 20 year lease.  *sigh of relief*.  But we are considering buying solar panels as an investment.  Not 18 panels ... Something smaller ... Like 12.  Even 9 would work for us.  There is no longer a rush on this solar project.  As kids get older I know we'll need it someday, just not now.

FAU is the Forced/fan Air Unit.  Not sure about the F.  But the U stands for unit.  I told him the writing looks like a V.

It's the master switch that powers the entire whole house fan.  The unit that would connect to the air filters and thermostats in the house.  It also controls when the AC compressor in the yard kicks on and circulates that cold air throughout the house. It's basically the "bat cave" of my entire forced air system in the house.  It has a circuit board and other computer gadgetry in that massive unit too.

Now anyone got suggestions how I can get someone to pay for the hundreds of extra dollars I shelled out (~$500) because of this mess?

bones is right.

I keep thinking it's wired to some HOA light but ZL's last post indicates a builder issue.

Ask the builder to install some extra cans or fans. :)

WTTCMN said:
irvinehomeowner said:
ZeroLot said:
Now anyone got suggestions how I can get someone to pay for the hundreds of extra dollars I shelled out (~$500) because of this mess?
HOA credit if they were the culprit.

I would just ask the builder for the $500. The builder and the hoa are separate. Why loop another entity into this mess when you don't have to?  Esp since builder did the wiring right?

Yes builder hired the contractors to do the wirings and install FAU.  Bones is right.

$500 can buy a lot.  Do builders give builder credit?

The least electricity I've used in an hour is 0.25 kwh. That's with no lights on and nothing on. Basically that's what it takes to power the fridge, cable boxes, wireless router, NAS server and all of the LEDs and clocks that draw power plus the phantom power draw from charging cables that have nothing plugged in to them.

All of that uses about 180 kwh/month

WTTCMN said:
paperboyNC said:
The least electricity I've used in an hour is 0.25 kwh. That's with no lights on and nothing on. Basically that's what it takes to power the fridge, cable boxes, wireless router, NAS server and all of the LEDs and clocks that draw power plus the phantom power draw from charging cables that have nothing plugged in to them.

Is it me or does that seem high?  I have to double check my acct but I think my lowest is 0.10.

I wonder if the fridge is on consistently every hour? My usage at night is very consistent. I would think some hours would have the fridge never run.

I do have 4 different items for the cable and I've heard those are huge power wasters.

OS said:
WTTCMN said:
paperboyNC said:

Is it me or does that seem high?  I have to double check my acct but I think my lowest is 0.10.

NAS server is prolly half of the .25 kwh.

Hmm. I'll try unplugging it.

paperboyNC said:

Mine is basically the same - .24 kwh.  I have a NAS server, multiple routers, security cams, fridge, and deep freezer that are always on.

Back