Occupy Irvine?

irvinehomeowner

So I keep seeing these people gathered at Alton and Harvard in front of City Hall and I really don't get it.

I'm still not clear on their agenda other than they are part of 'Occupy OC' which is a offshoot of 'Occupy Wall Street' and their protest of corporate greed and corruption.

But the signs they are holding up are confusing. I sort of understand what they are getting at but what exactly are they trying to accomplish by pitching tents in front of City Hall and killing the grass there? There was an article recently in the OCReg where they were complaining because someone turned the sprinklers on them and that they are not able to camp overnight.

And why Irvine? Why not one of those beach cities where all the 1%ers live?

I'll support them as soon as they agree that a 100% tax on all corporate support for public radio, the arts, and higher education be put in place.  Then, when I see pickets in front of that capitalist titan's company - AAPL, I'll give them credit for trying to take down a corporate giant that refuses to share it's profits with the little guy.  If ever there was a crony capitalist who tried to squeeze out competition and destroy industries it was Steve Jobs.

Try explaining this to one of them with a straight face and see what happens. My guess is that they'll swell up like the bird scene in "Shrek" then pop.

My .02c

"Save the Whales!!! Down with the Man!!!"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndaXQeRPO0g[/youtube]

Soylent Green Is People said:
I'll support them as soon as they agree that a 100% tax on all corporate support for public radio, the arts, and higher education be put in place.  Then, when I see pickets in front of that capitalist titan's company - AAPL, I'll give them credit for trying to take down a corporate giant that refuses to share it's profits with the little guy.  If ever there was a crony capitalist who tried to squeeze out competition and destroy industries it was Steve Jobs.

Try explaining this to one of them with a straight face and see what happens. My guess is that they'll swell up like the bird scene in "Shrek" then pop.

My .02c

Dude. It was nice knowing you... Do not let them flay you with the earbuds.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=CZGIn9bpALo[/youtube]

Starlight East said:
What I don't get is the iStuff references from you and SGIP. Are you saying they should not have iPhones when protesting against corporate greed but Android phones are OK?
I believe that's how RC would put it... because Android is "The People's Phone". :D

Are they protesting foreclosures in OC too? Here they are in Riverside

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTvo7v2BR5E[/youtube]

Hi Starlight.

The Iphone v Android stuff isn't the direction that thought was headed. "Ianything" is a euphemism for "hipster". This current wave of hipster protest groups have zero idea how life works. On the one hand they can't live 30 minutes without their Iphone, latte's, and YouTube, yet do you see anyone of these people protesting at Apple, Starbucks, or Google. Steve Jobs - may he rest in peace - was a toymaker, a smart toymaker, but when you boil it all down Apple products are simply gadgets. He also was from multiple sources a capitalist prick who didn't give very much thought to others and contributed little (also per reports) to charity. He died a multi billionare, the very type of person Occupy Anywhere is complaining about. Why aren't these protestors railing against AAPL and Steve Jobs? Because I contend again: they have no idea what they are talking about.

I'm all for forced restructuring of banks, haircuts by investors, and perp walks for the Lehman, SEC, FNMA, and Countrywide types. Getting to that point across with these protesters is doing more harm to the message than good.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People.

Well... there is still an Android tinge on it.

Since RC says Android is used more by those in the "ghetto", that infers the 99%... therefore all those protesters shouldn't own a "pretentious" iPhone.

I think RC is on his way there to give them water and power bars.

Occupy Irvine can go kiss my a%$

Corporate greed my a*#.  I just wasn't stupid enough to put 0 down on my house and want a bailout. It takes 2 to tangle so if you're stupid enough to get a 0 down loan, you deserve to be foreclosed on.

irvinehomeowner said:
Starlight East said:
What I don't get is the iStuff references from you and SGIP. Are you saying they should not have iPhones when protesting against corporate greed but Android phones are OK?
I believe that's how RC would put it... because Android is "The People's Phone". :D

For what it's worth, I HATE my Android phone. I want to kill it and protest against it.

I try to read their signs to get a better idea of what they are trying to represent.

One I read yesterday was:

"End Capitalism"

Huh? So what do these guys want? Marxism? Communism?

Why would city hall of Irvine grant these protestors overnight permits.  They have all the right to protest but not on the public dime.  These city councils need to think of the entire community (these protests do not add value to the community) and not jsut give in to political pressure.  Irvine should not be come the next oakland.   

how are they on the public dime?  getting a permit for something doesnt mean its costing the tax payers any money.  we needed to get a permit for cars to park on Carlson street for an upcoming party we are throwing.  why do we the right for that permit and the protesters dont for an overnight permit? 

Extra police are required to watch the area overnight.  Plus the cleanup costs money.  Things cost money (directly and indirectly)

Maybe the saying "Any publicity is good publicity" doesn't hold true in this case.  Irvine has such a tight grip over their image it doesn't make sense to risk an Oakland-like incident that would trigger international scrutiny and a major hit to real estate prices.  There are new homes to sell after all.  The loss of tax revenue from a slowdown in sales would dwarf the relatively minor costs of clean up and extra police.

The bigger problem is there is no timeline for this to end.  As a resident in Irvine I dont want a ghetto tent city in a neighorhood where I pay an extra tax (melloroos).  I read that the mayor might be running for congress (I could be wrong).  So this probably has some ( a lot ) of politics behind it.  This protest can be held anywhere in OC, so Irvine should just push them along or at least not let them set up tents like they own the place.  I am currious how many are Irvine residents.  I find it interesting that Santa Ana did not allow such a protest. 

There should be an Occupy Newport Beach soon. Quite a few of the staff of AIG are staying at the Pelican Hills resort for some sort of conference. I had an article somewhere about it. I think it's around the 18th.  If there's any group who should have been booted into the big house it was AIG.

On a side note, my niece won a costume contest at her work - $100 bucks! - being an Occupy Wall Street protester. Her sign said "Occupy Wall Street - I have no idea what I'm protesting about!"

Soylent Green Is People.

Back