Nexus Cos. Skyline at Macarthur Place website disappears but towers remain

[quote author="Shooby" date=1226714019]Who is it? Donald Bren?</blockquote>

Nope. Don't want to say until it is a done deal.

[quote author="Shooby" date=1226714531]It's you isn't it. :)</blockquote>

Hardly. The last thing I would want to do is advertise that it is in escrow so that any competitors could get into the lenders ear.

[quote author="Joe33" date=1226713537][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1226670259]Thx Joe.

You hear that Graph? BK was right. I owe both you fools a drink.</blockquote>

I wouldn't go and pay off any bets yet. It is in escrow, the buyer has some due diligence period. With the economic/financial uncertainty, about 60% to 70% of transactions that have gone into escrow in the last 6 months have not ended up closing.

As for price, I have no idea. The lender was insisting that they would only sell the note at par, but who knows what they really did. Right now is just the starting price too. In this market, the starting price and the closing price have been very different.

As for cash flow, the average unit at the property will probably generate at least $30,000 a year in revenue. Expenses will probably be about $10,000 per unit per year. So $20,000 per year in income. They will certainly have negative cash flow for a period of time while they lease up, but this is a deep pocketed buyer that can carry the negative cash flow for a period of time. I am sure they would just capitalize the negative carry and include it as part of their basis.</blockquote>

$30,000 in annual revenue equates to $2,500 in monthly rent. That seems awfully high considering the location and the fact that nice apartments in Newport rent for less.

What is the average unit size there?

[quote author="Joe33" date=1226713537][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1226670259]Thx Joe.

I wouldn't go and pay off any bets yet. It is in escrow, the buyer has some due diligence period. With the economic/financial uncertainty, about 60% to 70% of transactions that have gone into escrow in the last 6 months have not ended up closing.

As for price, I have no idea. The lender was insisting that they would only sell the note at par, but who knows what they really did. Right now is just the starting price too. In this market, the starting price and the closing price have been very different.

As for cash flow, the average unit at the property will probably generate at least $30,000 a year in revenue. Expenses will probably be about $10,000 per unit per year. So $20,000 per year in income. They will certainly have negative cash flow for a period of time while they lease up, but this is a deep pocketed buyer that can carry the negative cash flow for a period of time. I am sure they would just capitalize the negative carry and include it as part of their basis.</blockquote>

It still amazes me that people would do this. Perhaps I am old school, but I was taught that you did a stabilized first year cashflow proforma, and you evaluated the asset based on whether or not it performed in year 1. Anything else was not an investment but a speculative bet on appreciation. These deep pocketed investors who speculate do provide market liquidity. Someone needs to absorb the loss. Maybe 10 years from now they will show a profit and get a 3% IRR. Hardly seems worth the risk.

[quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1226728590][quote author="Joe33" date=1226713537][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1226670259]Thx Joe.

It still amazes me that people would do this. Perhaps I am old school, but I was taught that you did a stabilized first year cashflow proforma, and you evaluated the asset based on whether or not it performed in year 1. Anything else was not an investment but a speculative bet on appreciation. These deep pocketed investors who speculate do provide market liquidity. Someone needs to absorb the loss. Maybe 10 years from now they will show a profit and get a 3% IRR. Hardly seems worth the risk.</blockquote>

It is no different than a development that starts at 0% occupancy when they receive their first certificate of occupancy. It all depends on the price you pay. If you think a core asset that is stabilized would trade at a 6% cap, then if you take on the lease up risk on an empty building you would expect to get some premium for taking that risk....maybe a 7% cap. If the buyer can lease it up, stabilize it and then sell it for the stabilized 6% cap, then they can make a substantial profit.

As for rents, I would look at what individual owners are renting units at the Bosa property at park place and the Opus property on Jamboree. The upper floor units with nice views can rent for a premium. Also, as it was meant to be condos, I would imaging the unit sizes are bigger than typical apartments.

[quote author="Joe33" date=1226732911]

As for rents, I would look at what individual owners are renting units at the Bosa property at park place and the Opus property on Jamboree. The upper floor units with nice views can rent for a premium. Also, as it was meant to be condos, I would imaging the unit sizes are bigger than typical apartments.</blockquote>

The difference between those properties and this one is LOCATION. Those are both in a prime area. Walkable to amenities at Park Place, and the wildlife refuge, with a great view (for half of them) of the nature preserve. And in 'safe' Irvine/airport, not SA.

And even those two places are experiencing falling rents.

As we've discussed when talking about these condos, the rents even in this more 'prime' location are falling now too. And the market of renters for them is small.

I will be quite curious to hear how these buildings rent up if the purchase goes through.

Thanks again for keeping us in the loop, though!!!

As I remember the now-defunct Skyline website (that started this thread), the unit sizes ranged from about 1,200 square feet for the one bedrooms plus den, to about 2,000 square feet for the two bedrooms plus den. There were about two dozen penthouses spread between the two towers that were 2,500+ square feet. They were sized rather large for an apartment market, that's for sure.

There were also quite extensive amenities on the pool deck level that joined the two towers. There was a Mens Club with sauna, massage rooms, club rooms, etc. in one wing, and an even larger Womens Club with treatment rooms, yoga studio, and full spa amenities. Those were in addition to the usual gym, club rooms with kitchen, lounge and party room, etc., etc.

I was quick with a sharp jab when it was time to make fun of this failed property, but I do have to hand it to the developers as they really did have the largest and nicest looking amenities package of any of the half dozen high rise condos in OC. With the exception of the rooftop pool gimmick at that one place on Jamboree, Skyline was unmatched with their sprawling and fully realized amenities complex available to the owners. It will be interesting to see how they run this with renters instead.

[quote author="OC Zed" date=1225337384][quote author="bkshopr" date=1225264275]Learn from the expert. There is no residential highrise on the Irvine Ranch. This building type does not make sense for the financial model in OC. If it made sense then wouldn't you think TIC would be all over it ? All builders follow the wave of TIC and the ripple effect influence neighboring states like Nevada, Arizona and Colorado. The risk takers strayed from the formula are getting themselves into big trouble.

Every 2 months Kevin Pheiffer who conducts model home tours takes homebuilders from across the country to tour Irvine Ranch model homes. Architects and builders from the western states maintain a satellite firm in OC just to keep up with latest trade secrets and prototypes. This is the reason why homes in the neighboring states look like a real bad knock off of OC homes.

<strong>Tuscan and Santa Barbara architecture is now in Utah, Idaho, Colorado, Montana, Arizona, Las Vegas and the Tuscan plague is spreading in Dubai, Beijing, Shanghai, Indonesia, Seria, India and Algeria. Oversea commissions are keeping the OC architectural firms alive and OC architects are spreading their favorite Tuscan disease. Eamar who bought John Laing Homes is promoting OC style in the middle east.</strong></blockquote>

This is a scourge that needs to end. I was hoping that homebuyers in different locales had better taste than the vapid populace of Orange County.</blockquote>

Yes, we need to end the scourage of mediteranean architecture that plauges orange county, san diego, santa barbara, italy, and, most of all, spain.

Regardless of the opinions of people who's architectural training consists of a subsription to dwell, for better or for worse, this style of architecture has proven universally appealing. "Progressive" architecture becomes outdated architecture in a few years and their floor plans aren't accomodating to the tenants. You can't argue against this style from a marketing stand point.

Hey, I lived in Spain for 5 years. I enjoyed every minute of it and would welcome more of it here. Has anyone been to Lizzaran Tapas in Fullerton yet?

[quote author="tkaratz" date=1226922908][quote author="OC Zed" date=1225337384][quote author="bkshopr" date=1225264275]Learn from the expert. There is no residential highrise on the Irvine Ranch. This building type does not make sense for the financial model in OC. If it made sense then wouldn't you think TIC would be all over it ? All builders follow the wave of TIC and the ripple effect influence neighboring states like Nevada, Arizona and Colorado. The risk takers strayed from the formula are getting themselves into big trouble.

Every 2 months Kevin Pheiffer who conducts model home tours takes homebuilders from across the country to tour Irvine Ranch model homes. Architects and builders from the western states maintain a satellite firm in OC just to keep up with latest trade secrets and prototypes. This is the reason why homes in the neighboring states look like a real bad knock off of OC homes.

<strong>Tuscan and Santa Barbara architecture is now in Utah, Idaho, Colorado, Montana, Arizona, Las Vegas and the Tuscan plague is spreading in Dubai, Beijing, Shanghai, Indonesia, Seria, India and Algeria. Oversea commissions are keeping the OC architectural firms alive and OC architects are spreading their favorite Tuscan disease. Eamar who bought John Laing Homes is promoting OC style in the middle east.</strong></blockquote>

This is a scourge that needs to end. I was hoping that homebuyers in different locales had better taste than the vapid populace of Orange County.</blockquote>

Yes, we need to end the scourage of mediteranean architecture that plauges orange county, san diego, santa barbara, italy, and, most of all, spain.

Regardless of the opinions of people who's architectural training consists of a subsription to dwell, for better or for worse, this style of architecture has proven universally appealing. "Progressive" architecture becomes outdated architecture in a few years and their floor plans aren't accomodating to the tenants. You can't argue against this style from a marketing stand point.</blockquote>

Wait a second, you are telling me that modern architecture which is (generally) designed towards an efficient, practical use of space and light becomes quickly outdated while thousands of orange stucco boxes which popped up on the Southern California landscape <em>within the last ten years</em> represent timeless architecture for Southern California???? Really? You don't smell a fad here? You don't see anything wrong in one location trying so hard to create an environment that belongs half a world away from centuries ago? You really think all of these wannabee Italian farmhouses feature floorplans that will be everlastingly "accomodating to the tenants"? I have seen gingerbread houses that do not look as silly as some of the monstrosities that have popped up in your typical IAC controlled development. When architecture attempts to be nostalgic, it only results in tackiness.

Only in the land of Hollywood and Disneyland, I suppose.

[quote author="OC Zed" date=1227026295]Wait a second, you are telling me that modern architecture which is (generally) designed towards an efficient, practical use of space and light becomes quickly outdated while thousands of orange stucco boxes which popped up on the Southern California landscape <em>within the last ten years</em> represent timeless architecture for Southern California???? Really? You don't smell a fad here? You don't see anything wrong in one location trying so hard to create an environment that belongs half a world away from centuries ago? You really think all of these wannabee Italian farmhouses feature floorplans that will be everlastingly "accomodating to the tenants"? I have seen gingerbread houses that do not look as silly as some of the monstrosities that have popped up in your typical IAC controlled development. When architecture attempts to be nostalgic, it only results in tackiness.

Only in the land of Hollywood and Disneyland, I suppose.</blockquote>

Easy, this comes from someone who obviously didn't get my reference to Gaudi. And, I find that truly sad that the art of architecture is completely overlooked, if not known at all.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1227029254][quote author="OC Zed" date=1227026295]Wait a second, you are telling me that modern architecture which is (generally) designed towards an efficient, practical use of space and light becomes quickly outdated while thousands of orange stucco boxes which popped up on the Southern California landscape <em>within the last ten years</em> represent timeless architecture for Southern California???? Really? You don't smell a fad here? You don't see anything wrong in one location trying so hard to create an environment that belongs half a world away from centuries ago? You really think all of these wannabee Italian farmhouses feature floorplans that will be everlastingly "accomodating to the tenants"? I have seen gingerbread houses that do not look as silly as some of the monstrosities that have popped up in your typical IAC controlled development. When architecture attempts to be nostalgic, it only results in tackiness.

Only in the land of Hollywood and Disneyland, I suppose.</blockquote>

Easy, this comes from someone who obviously didn't get my reference to Gaudi. And, I find that truly sad that the art of architecture is completely overlooked, if not known at all.</blockquote>

I concede my reply may have been a bit harsh. "Tuscan Living" really gets me riled up though!

:lol:

[quote author="OC Zed" date=1227096232]

I concede my reply may have been a bit harsh. "Tuscan Living" really gets me riled up though!

:lol:</blockquote>

I can't think of a nicer place to live and farm grapes than Tuscany.

Wait, you're talking about something else.

Quick update: The website is still down... and the towers are empty for over 4 months now. (Damn, I would love to see inside!)

I work near these buildings, and the more I think about them, the more amazed I become that they were ever built in the first place.

1 - They are built in Santa Ana (Not a hotbed of hi-end living)

2 - They are built right beside two of SoCals busiest freeways. (55 & 405)

3 - They are DIRECTLY underneath the flight path of John Wayne Airport.

4 - Santa Ana, did I mention that?

There is someone I would love to meet. Somewhere out there, is a person who looked at this location, did their "research", and thought..."I want to spend $600,000,000.00 on two 25 story residential towers RIGHT HERE!" Right next to a run down Doubletree Hotel, and a small, old business park.

That kool-aid must have tasted really good!

do you know how the townhouses at the NE corner of macarthur and main are doing? every once in a while, i see adds on CL for a rental or on the mls for a sale.

they seem nice, and went for $500k plus back in the day. but i wonder how far/fast they will fall.

Back