Newer Irvine listings with crazy WTF asking prices from equity sellers

kpatnps said:
Soylent Green Is People said:
I am constantly amazed at the pricing OH models are being marketed at.

Here's a home with an actual ocean view in a comparative school district for about the same price:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Newport-Beach/12-Catania-92657/home/4749849

Still need Irvine? Here's one with a net payment equal to the OH model home given it's MR.
[url]https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/17-Pemberly-92603/home/4745825[/url]

It's got to be that "new home smell and feel" that drives prices to that height. At $3.2m there are plenty of choices out there....eh?

That new home smell are the paint fumes that are off gassing and killing brain cells.

It's a hell of a drug though. haha

aquabliss said:
someguy said:
Paid about $1.8M in March 2019, asking $2.188M in December 2020.  Maybe the seller will include that nifty lion rug in the master bedroom.  glhf
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/280-Oceano-92620/home/173845723

Hey they have a lazy river in the back yard.  That alone adds an extra $100k.

Well... more like lazy bank. But if that were in my backyard, the IHO view increases it $200k! :)

Who would have thought "rare full-size driveway make a striking impression" would be a selling point?

irvinehomeowner said:
aquabliss said:
someguy said:
Paid about $1.8M in March 2019, asking $2.188M in December 2020.  Maybe the seller will include that nifty lion rug in the master bedroom.  glhf
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/280-Oceano-92620/home/173845723

Hey they have a lazy river in the back yard.  That alone adds an extra $100k.

Well... more like lazy bank. But if that were in my backyard, the IHO view increases it $200k! :)

Who would have thought "rare full-size driveway make a striking impression" would be a selling point?

At some point, I think people will start to wonder if it is really worth it to live here. 

I think that can be said about almost anywhere.

We've debated this before, with many cities, and since this is TalkIRVINE... there are a few (or more) who have a bias. :)

irviniteeee said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Here's another overpriced Beacon Park home. They purchased the home for $2,015,000 in June 2016 and now they think the home is worth $3,500,000?  Does the backyard have some gold buried in the ground that they didn't disclose? haha
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/123-Calderon-92618/home/108244852

Welp! This home is now part of a live auction with bidding starting at $1.7m.

And they'll end up getting less than they would have if they had listed it at a more reasonable price right off the bat.

From my one experience with auctions (I was a bidder), it seemed the house sold pretty well.
I bid 720, and the house sold for 732.

The auction started at 650.

zubs said:
From my one experience with auctions (I was a bidder), it seemed the house sold pretty well.

Do they have an undisclosed reserve price?  For instance in this auction if they only get 1 opening bid for $1.7M, are they obligated to sell for that amount?

Perhaps a box of Lucky Charms is buried there next to that pot o'gold. They are as we know magically delicious, leading to a quick sale at a high price. They work in a similar vein as St Joseph's statues which superstitious realtors will bury in peoples yards. https://www.homelight.com/blog/st-joseph-statue-to-sell-house/

If those backyard photos are current, many lenders will not want to close on the property given the state of things back there. A quick concrete pour and scooting the bricks to one side of the home might do the trick. Sheesh. Why show this stuff online? Did this agent really think that was a good look? My guess is with a $37,000+ per year tax bill and a loan rate north of 5.25%, cash is getting pretty tight and the yard just isn't a priority anymore.

Would love to have the data on Harcourt's "LIVE AUCTION BIDDING" final closing price info. My guess is that this gimmick really doesn't work and they end up selling for less than if they were priced right from the start and turned quickly.

My .02c

What's with the tile flooring...was this a thing like 3 to 5 years ago?  I hate tile floor indoors and it's brutal on the knees/ankles. 

Tile is also very difficult/expensive to replace so you are stuck with it unless you want to put down more money after the WTF pricing.

/old man rant.

From my experience with these auctions... it's not really legit.

If the bids don't get up to their "reserve" they can just cancel all bids.

aquabliss said:
zubs said:

Do they have an undisclosed reserve price?  For instance in this auction if they only get 1 opening bid for $1.7M, are they obligated to sell for that amount?

The reserve price is ultimately what the seller will accept which no one other than the seller and maybe the listing agent know. And no, if there is only one bid at $1.7m the seller is not obligated to sell the home at $1.7m.  The seller needs to accept a buyer's offer to be obligated to sell.

USCTrojanCPA said:
aquabliss said:
zubs said:

The reserve price is ultimately what the seller will accept which no one other than the seller and maybe the listing agent know. And no, if there is only one bid at $1.7m the seller is not obligated to sell the home at $1.7m.  The seller needs to accept a buyer's offer to be obligated to sell.

And if they don't even have to reveal their reserve price, then the whole "auction" thing is kind of a sham.  Of course if you ask the listing agent they'll just say it's good marketing to spur offers on the property. 

You can sort of reverse engineer the faux "reserve price" by doing a MLS previous listing price history.

This home (out of area) https://www.redfin.com/CA/Laguna-Beach/154-Pearl-St-92651/home/4894695 is heralded as an "auction" sale, priced at $4,000,000.  It was originally listed in May of 2019 by an out of area realtor at $7,950,000. It delisted in September 2020 at $6,499,000.  That figure, or something near it, is the "reserve"

They paid $2.8 for what is the oldest home in the City, and could not level it for historical preservation reasons. They built a 2nd home on the site and now want 1.5x the cost to buy and build. From a property tax basis alone they've eaten almost 100k in 2 years waiting for a buyer to take the bait.

Will be interesting to see how 123 S Calderon goes.

aquabliss said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
aquabliss said:
zubs said:

And if they don't even have to reveal their reserve price, then the whole "auction" thing is kind of a sham.  Of course if you ask the listing agent they'll just say it's good marketing to spur offers on the property. 

BINGO!!!  I'll stick to pricing my listings appropriately and having them sell in weeks without playing these auction games.

Soylent Green Is People said:
You can sort of reverse engineer the faux "reserve price" by doing a MLS previous listing price history.

This home (out of area) https://www.redfin.com/CA/Laguna-Beach/154-Pearl-St-92651/home/4894695 is heralded as an "auction" sale, priced at $4,000,000.  It was originally listed in May of 2019 by an out of area realtor at $7,950,000. It delisted in September 2020 at $6,499,000.  That figure, or something near it, is the "reserve"

They paid $2.8 for what is the oldest home in the City, and could not level it for historical preservation reasons. They built a 2nd home on the site and now want 1.5x the cost to buy and build. From a property tax basis alone they've eaten almost 100k in 2 years waiting for a buyer to take the bait.

Will be interesting to see how 123 S Calderon goes.

I wonder if buyers even know that they might have problems getting the home financed with the yard not being done once the appraiser reveals it to the lender. I think with the cheap flooring, dated countertops, and unfinished yard it'll sell for around $2m +/-. 

Here's an example of one of these Hardcourts auction listings in my neighborhood with my exact floor plan. 
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Tustin/2605-Palmetto-92782/home/4757580

The seller originally listed the home with one of the local Tustin Ranch realtors for $1.59m for 185 days with no luck. About 5 months after that listing expired, the seller listed the home with Hardcourts for $1.25m and the "auction date" was about 4 weeks from the listing date.  I believe that the seller could have gotten over $1.4m if they had listed the home for $1.45m-$1.5m right off the bat.

Back