New house + solar panel

irvinehomeowner said:
Hmmm.

I'm assuming we have similar home sizes and I've rarely seen the bill go up over $150... even when we had a 2500sf 5br house... still not in the $100s and we run the AC (back then we had a nanny who was home during the day too).

That's why solar was never an option because the savings just didn't warrant it. OS doesn't seem to burn that much energy either.

Strange.

I agree.  It is strange.  I talked with a few neighbors that use their AC a lot and they haven't gone above $150.  So I'm wondering if I should still get an electrician to come out and inspect the house to see if there might be a leak somewhere?

Unless you have 2 refrigerators, Stay home during the day running the AC, have an EV. (I'm just guessing, not all may apply)

eyephone said:
Unless you have 2 refrigerators, Stay home during the day running the AC, have an EV. (I'm just guessing, not all may apply)

I have 2 kids so you bet I have 2 fridges.  They love their ice cream and Costco chicken nuggets.

But my first month's bill was $125 and I wasn't even living in the house for 1/2 the month.  I didn't have appliances either until the end of the month too.  And it was COLD that month, no AC usage.  Go figure.

WTTCMN said:
Whenever I walk the block at night - my AC is the only one running. Not sure what that says except my heat tolerant level must be way lower than everyone else.

If yours kick on at 80 degrees, you're justified in my book.  ;)

I'm searching Angie's List now for a qualified electrician to come out. 

eyephone said:
Zero - did you do all your electrical upgrades through the builder?

Yes I did.  I made sure to do all my electrical through the builder. 

Here's a snapshot I got from sce.com when the house was vacant with no appliances besides the builder microwave.  We weren't moving this day either.

Attachments

• 20140311_e_stats.jpg
    20140311_e_stats.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 363
ZeroLot said:
eyephone said:

Here's a snapshot I got from sce.com when the house was vacant with no appliances besides the builder microwave.  We weren't moving this day either.
Since you went the builder for all electrical, I would contact the warranty person.

WTTCMN said:
ZeroLot said:
Ok all this talk of solar and new recent 12% rate hike by SCE got me into the solar panel vetting mood.  While I was Home Depot, the sales rep from Solar City approached us and offered a free in-home estimate.

I learned a lot about the lease vs PPA plans.  But I would like to save more if possible.  I also called up Edison today just to ask what I'm doing wrong and so far it seems to be nothing, just I use a lot of electricity.  :'(

I then called Sullivan Solar Power (local Irvine company), I like dealing with local businesses and hope they can beat Solar City rates.  I also like the fact they are very particular about which manufacturer they choose for their solar panels. They only use USA-manufacturer panels BUT also California-based company. 

I also love RCC Solar but they are in Upland.

Anyhow, the federal rebate ends 2016 and I need something to bring down my ridiculous energy use. 

And yes, I tried all of the following already:
- changed all lights to LED in the house
- do not use AC at all at night
- AC is set to turn on only if we go above 80 degrees in the day time
- put retractable screens on all doors to help ventilate the house
- rarely use TV
- rarely use the computer (I'm reduced to iPad)

I just don't know why we keep on using 900+ Kwatt a month.  I know it can't be the NIGHTHAWK.  Anyhow I'll be posting a review once I figure out who we're going with for solar.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you with the same solar thoughts. If i remember correctly from a previous thread, the numbers don't pencil but I haven't looked into or done the analysis myself. I just signed up for the summer savers plan to see if that helps at all. Just got it so it didn't make a dent in July's bill which was a yike-worthy $285. We are in a holding pattern until I figure out what my bills will be like in the fall/winter months. We've also made some AC usage adjustments in the last week or so to see if that makes a difference. Part of me wishes I just got solar thru my builder. Wrap it in my mortgage. Have it done pre COE.  Will be curious to hear your findings.

Did they come by already to install the device on your ac? 

ZeroLot said:
eyephone said:

Hopefully builder can explain it because that seems 2-3x more than what it should be for a house at "idle". Maybe they can examine a house that is a week or so before Coe and compare

WTTCMN said:
jmoney74 said:
Did they come by already to install the device on your ac? 

Yea last week.  I think one day before my billing cycle ended.  Ugh and my AC is still on.  I set it for 82 degrees!  I also discussed with a neighbor.  Their bill is $250+ as well.  Similar lifestyle habits.
If there is a potential rolling blackout/a lot of energy use - SCE will send out a radio frequency wave to the air conditioners so that it doesn't turn on. (Is that how summer saver program work?)

I'll call up IP customer service tomorrow and get an electrician out too.  My house at idle is 0.09 kW in the afternoon but once it hits 1am it goes up to 0.64 kW for no reason.  It's like I'm powering the whole street.

ZeroLot said:
I'll call up IP customer service tomorrow and get an electrician out too.  My house at idle is 0.09 kW in the afternoon but once it hits 1am it goes up to 0.64 kW for no reason.  It's like I'm powering the whole street.

Just a guess - maybe they have part of HOA electricity running through your address

Anyone know of any restrictions that Irvine Pacific HOA have in regards to solar panels? Like is there a limit to the number of panels you can put on the roof, which sides of the house, etc? Has anyone gotten quotes on purchasing or leasing on houses around 2,000 square foot? I'm moving into a 1974 square foot Jasmine Plan 3 in September and curious as to how many panels and how many kw I can expect to generate.

I'm currently living in a 2 bedroom apt in Irvine and last couple months the bills were around $200 and using around 800 kw. I can only expect the bills to go up when I move into a bigger place.

I find this uptick in electricity charges very weird.

There is no way sub-3000sf homes without pools should be generating $200+ monthly bills.

Maybe it's all those cans and fans?

we went over 1000kwh last August, thats our usual blip into $200/month territory in our sub 3000 sq ft home with no pool.  I blame the old A/C and fireball practice in my vaulted ceiling.

ps9 said:
we went over 1000kwh last August, thats our usual blip into $200/month territory in our sub 3000 sq ft home with no pool.  I blame the old A/C and fireball practice in my vaulted ceiling.
But what about non-summer months? Do you go over $150 regularly?

just checked my SCE bill. for the 30 days ended july 15, i owe $220, projected for next months is 229.

our house is 3,000 sq ft with 2 AC units 2 fridges. no one is upstairs during the day so nothing is on up there.

during the day the AC is set to automatic on 76 for the nanny and dogs with some TV on during the day. i think it should be lower like at 72-73 but my wife thinks that is too cold for our daughter. when i get home i change it to 75, if i go lower i get yelled at.

my previous bills for 2014 were 136, 153, 64, 97, 87, 100, 93,

2013 - 93, 117, 156, 245, 179, 174, 112, 93, 155, 67, 86, 79

Back