New house + solar panel

yaliu07 said:
Lennar (Sunstreet Energy) has 10 panels and purchase price is 14K.

The default option is to lease and Sunstreet will maintain for 20 years.  There will be two bills.  One from SCE and one from Sunstreet.  If a family does lease option, then they will pay for all generated energy from Sunstreet.  For example, if solar panels generate 2000w electricity, but your family only used 1500w, your family will still get billed for 2000w.

I think I am the only family purchase the solar panel.  Most of lennar used 20/20 lease option.

I think after a year.. you can be on a average use model.  How much do these things generate anyways?  I looked on my meter.. after a few weeks it said 200.

yaliu07 said:
Lennar (Sunstreet Energy) has 10 panels and purchase price is 14K.

The default option is to lease and Sunstreet will maintain for 20 years.  There will be two bills.  One from SCE and one from Sunstreet.  If a family does lease option, then they will pay for all generated energy from Sunstreet.  For example, if solar panels generate 2000w electricity, but your family only used 1500w, your family will still get billed for 2000w.

I think I am the only family purchase the solar panel.  Most of lennar used 20/20 lease option.

So what happens if you go over 2000w?  Do you pay SCE?  If yes at what tier?

Nirvinians said:
Has anyone been able to get the solar exclusion from the assessor's office?  They said I need to submit a letter from Lennar (with their letterhead) stating how much the solar system cost.

Lennar should provide you with the letter.  On mine the title is "Statement of Estimated Eligible Cost of Solar Energy Product"

I actually see how much KW my panel generated.  I can log into MyEnlighten website.  My panels usually generate around 12~13KW per hour.  However, on someday, my panel can generate 15KW per hour and on someday my panels can only generate 8KW per hour.

WeekPeak PowerEnergy Produced
06/01/2014 - 06/07/20142.15 kW114 kWh
06/08/2014 - 06/14/20142.02 kW109 kWh
06/15/2014 - 06/21/20142.21 kW114 kWh
06/22/2014 - 06/28/20142.00 kW100 kWh
06/29/2014 - 06/30/20141.91 kW28.5 kWh
June 2014 Total:465 kWh
Previous Month Total:468 kWh
Year to Date:1.74 MWh

yaliu07 said:
I actually see how much KW my panel generated.  I can log into MyEnlighten website.  My panels usually generate around 12~13KW per hour.  However, on someday, my panel can generate 15KW per hour and on someday my panels can only generate 8KW per hour.

So what does this mean? Do you sell energy back to SCE?

eyephone said:
yaliu07 said:

For any extra power, you get credit from SCE.  However if you need more power than your produce, then you have to buy from SCE.

yaliu07 said:
eyephone said:
yaliu07 said:

For any extra power, you get credit from SCE.  However if you need more power than your produce, then you have to buy from SCE.

At what tier do you buy the additional energy at?

ZeroLot said:
yaliu07 said:
eyephone said:
yaliu07 said:

At what tier do you buy the additional energy at?

I actually get my SCE bill today.

Jun 23 '14 to Jul 23 '14
Consumption 245
Net Generation -230
Total electricity usage this month in kWh 15

Delivery charges
Basic charge 30 days x $0.03100 $0.93
Bal of minimum charge $0.02
Subtotal of your new charges $0.95
Your new charges $0.95

Your Delivery charges include:
? $0.95 distribution charges
Your overall energy charges include:
? $0.03 franchise fees
Additional information:
? Service voltage: 240 volts
? Your summer baseline allowance:
303.0 kWh
? Net Surplus Compensation option:
None Selected

Mine was same. Interested to see what the solar bill is for me. I did 20/20.

yaliu07 said:
I actually get my SCE bill today.

Jun 23 '14 to Jul 23 '14
Consumption 245
Net Generation -230
Total electricity usage this month in kWh 15

Delivery charges
Basic charge 30 days x $0.03100 $0.93
Bal of minimum charge $0.02
Subtotal of your new charges $0.95
Your new charges $0.95

Your Delivery charges include:
? $0.95 distribution charges
Your overall energy charges include:
? $0.03 franchise fees
Additional information:
? Service voltage: 240 volts
? Your summer baseline allowance:
303.0 kWh
? Net Surplus Compensation option:
None Selected

Nice!

Ok all this talk of solar and new recent 12% rate hike by SCE got me into the solar panel vetting mood.  While I was Home Depot, the sales rep from Solar City approached us and offered a free in-home estimate.

I learned a lot about the lease vs PPA plans.  But I would like to save more if possible.  I also called up Edison today just to ask what I'm doing wrong and so far it seems to be nothing, just I use a lot of electricity.  :'(

I then called Sullivan Solar Power (local Irvine company), I like dealing with local businesses and hope they can beat Solar City rates.  I also like the fact they are very particular about which manufacturer they choose for their solar panels. They only use USA-manufacturer panels BUT also California-based company. 

I also love RCC Solar but they are in Upland.

Anyhow, the federal rebate ends 2016 and I need something to bring down my ridiculous energy use. 

And yes, I tried all of the following already:
- changed all lights to LED in the house
- do not use AC at all at night
- AC is set to turn on only if we go above 80 degrees in the day time
- put retractable screens on all doors to help ventilate the house
- rarely use TV
- rarely use the computer (I'm reduced to iPad)

I just don't know why we keep on using 900+ Kwatt a month.  I know it can't be the NIGHTHAWK.  Anyhow I'll be posting a review once I figure out who we're going with for solar.

iHeartIrvine said:
ZL, does your home have split thermostat/AC for upstairs and downstairs?  It greatly helps lower the electricity usage.  Our usage is ~ 600 kW and we use the AC often.  It's weird that yours is so high. 

The excess usage rates are charged at the ongoing rates.  So if your consumption is 900 minus 300 SP credit, your bill will be for 600 kW in which the first 300 at Tier 1 and the rest at higher tiers.  But you will save a lot still by not going to the more expensive tiers.

What is the 300 SP credit??  I don't see it on my electric bill?

Yes, we have the split thermostat.  I have banned everyone from using AC upstairs and have turned off the "fan" on the thermostat as well.

Downstairs I'm using the "fan" on the thermostat when we're out of the house and have it set to 80 degrees to trigger the AC.

I have energy saving switches throughout the house to automatically shut off lights in closets and bathrooms when not in use.  In addition the the Belkin Switch all over the house: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P2UMS0/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

iHeartIrvine said:
300 kW Solar Panel generated electricity credited to your account.  That's our average generation per month.  You may need more panels to offset your high usage.

Interesting ... how many panels do you have?

I face the optimum direction and Solar City hopes to put 21 panels on my roof to generate 800 kW a month.

WTTCMN said:
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you with the same solar thoughts. If i remember correctly from a previous thread, the numbers don't pencil but I haven't looked into or done the analysis myself. I just signed up for the summer savers plan to see if that helps at all. Just got it so it didn't make a dent in July's bill which was a yike-worthy $285. We are in a holding pattern until I figure out what my bills will be like in the fall/winter months. We've also made some AC usage adjustments in the last week or so to see if that makes a difference. Part of me wishes I just got solar thru my builder. Wrap it in my mortgage. Have it done pre COE.  Will be curious to hear your findings.

We signed our contract knowing we were in the optimum direction and we agreed to install solar.  Then a week later we were told our courtyard got disqualified due to our roof.  Which sucks because we already picked the lot.  Sales office said we can do solar after COE with another vendor.

So now I'm now searching for a company that can install on our roof.

irvinehomeowner said:
@ZL:

So is your bill over $150/month?

Was it the same at your previous home?

I would be thrilled if I was paying $150/month.  I'm in the $250+ range so far.

My old 2 bedroom condo was around $50 to $75 with a couple days of AC.  If I blasted a lot of weeks with AC I would expect about $110, maybe $125.

Hmmm.

I'm assuming we have similar home sizes and I've rarely seen the bill go up over $150... even when we had a 2500sf 5br house... still not in the $100s and we run the AC (back then we had a nanny who was home during the day too).

That's why solar was never an option because the savings just didn't warrant it. OS doesn't seem to burn that much energy either.

Strange.

Back