New Home versus Old Home

andy said:
Someone mentioned that "old homes have less property taxes"..
I am wondering why is that the case.
Since older homes have prices comparable to newer homes, wouldn't you be paying the property taxes based the sale price?

Typically, the newer the property the higher the Mello Roos (supplemental property tax).

irvinehomeowner said:
Someone keeps saying that Irvine prices have dropped since 2018 but not sure where.

Yes that someone is actually a crowd of people:

-USCTrojanCPA
-Panda
-Irvine Housing Expert and Celebrity Blogger... Larry Roberts
-Redfin's statisticians
-Zillow's statisticians
-And of course Liar Loan

Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Someone keeps saying that Irvine prices have dropped since 2018 but not sure where.

-USCTrojanCPA
-Panda
-Redfin's statisticians
-Zillow's statisticians
-And of course Liar Loan

Are you sure? Your own posted graph said otherwise.

irvinehomeowner said:
Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:

-USCTrojanCPA
-Panda
-Redfin's statisticians
-Zillow's statisticians
-And of course Liar Loan

Are you sure? Your own posted graph said otherwise.

IHO, it does depend on which month you look at in 2018...prices are down slightly from May 2018 when we hit the peak before the soft patch in the summer/fall of 2018. That being said, prices are up slightly since the end of 2018/early 2019. But we are not talking anything significant either way due to mix shift and you can say that prices are basically flattish for the entire market. Prices for higher end homes is definitely lower since any time in 2018 but prices for the lower end are up over the same period. It continues to be a tale of two markets and you can't just look at the median price per SF as there's more to it than that.

@USC: I'm not using just price/sf... I was just using Redfin's p/sf and median price... and then to top it off, I used the Zillow graph that LL posted himself which shows a rise in median price since 2018 (was it March when certain people were claiming the slowdown started?).

My point is LL says that Irvine prices have been dropping since 2018 and I don't think that's true... it could be flattish or even slightly down... but not "dropping" or "in pain" as he likes to say.

Here is *his* graph again:

2018pricesup.png

So maybe they did drop from the height in 2019 (seasonal?) but it generally looks like an upward slope from 2018.

irvinehomeowner said:
@USC: I'm not using just price/sf... I was just using Redfin's p/sf and median price... and then to top it off, I used the Zillow graph that LL posted himself which shows a rise in median price since 2018 (was it March when certain people were claiming the slowdown started?).

My point is LL says that Irvine prices have been dropping since 2018 and I don't think that's true... it could be flattish or even slightly down... but not "dropping" or "in pain" as he likes to say.

Here is *his* graph again:

2018pricesup.png

So maybe they did drop from the height in 2019 (seasonal?) but it generally looks like an upward slope from 2018.

I take at the Zillow/Redfin home value graphs with a grain of salt just like their home guestimates as I rely on the data that I pull directly from MLS. If you compare prices from 2018 as a whole versus where we are today then I would say prices are flattish. Sometimes the data has quirks in it like you saw for March 2020 where it becomes an outlying month so you can definitely cherry pick specific months to support a position of higher or lower prices but it's best to look at wider time frame to find real trends. I've said it before and I'll say it again, without a significant increase in inventory level we won't see any material price declines in Irvine.

USCTrojanCPA said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, without a significant increase in inventory level we won't see any material price declines in Irvine.

There you go LL... USC is Team Irvine. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, without a significant increase in inventory level we won't see any material price declines in Irvine.

There you go LL... USC is Team Irvine. :)

You know me IHO, I geek out on numbers.

To get back on topic, older home may require less immediate spending than newer ones. A new home comes with no landscaping done and no window covering for examples. I can think of other smaller items like appliances, garage storage or lighting that you may have to consider with a new home.

It's case by case but for having bought both old and new it's easy to overlook some of these costs that add up fast on a new home.

Also, you worry less about competing bids on new homes... and while you can "bargain" on old homes, you can also submit lower offers to new home builders on standing inventory.

In times like this, I would ask for lots of upgrades including yard/patio landscaping if you're thinking of buying new homes. I think there are more unsold remaining inventories now days.

Also many condos have a basic landscaping already finished. It depends which tract though. $600-800k will most likely be an attached product. Most attached homes will have them done with no additional cost.

marmott said:
I can think of other smaller items like appliances, garage storage or lighting that you may have to consider with a new home.

Do new home not come with appliances, lighting?

Mety said:
In times like this, I would ask for lots of upgrades including yard/patio landscaping if you're thinking of buying new homes. I think there are more unsold remaining inventories now days.

Is there any way to track unsold inventory and get a feel for it if it is on low end?

Thanks for additional inputs in for the comparison. I have updated the original post. That way anyone looking at this thread does not have to read all the posts and can quickly get the summary.

andy said:
marmott said:
I can think of other smaller items like appliances, garage storage or lighting that you may have to consider with a new home.

Do new home not come with appliances, lighting?

New homes come with microwave, stove, dishwasher usually but not refrigerator and washer/dryer. Recessed lighting is pretty standard in all new home builds not but if it isn't then it would be an option for purchase with the builder.

eyephone said:
Andy - consider waiting to buy. We do not know the fall out of the housing market due to covid.

At this time, I will agree with eyephone about waiting.

If you don?t have to buy, you should see how everything pans out.

But I don?t know your situation so only you can make that determination.

Back