New communities in Portola Springs

Someone is trying to poke the bear.
Hater gotta hate. 😀
you need to stop stirring shit up. People are mentioning about what IP has been taking away from homes. He mentioned 3WCG is a loss, I’m saying losing a driveway altogether is worse.

Christmas celebration for the first time at someone's house since before Covid... those separate spaces come in very handy when there are lots of people over. Tamale making (or dumpling stuffing) in the kichen/nook, poker (or mahjong) in the formal dining, charades (or dancing) in the living, watching football (or basketball) in the family room.

I was jealous... they had 2 cars in the garage and 5 bikes and a fridge in the 3rd. :(
Like I said, Christmas celebration will be at someone else's house instead of mine. My sister will have to hold it at her 4100 sq ft home at The Oaks in Foothill Ranch. 😂

We have a mini fridge (due to 36" built-in fridge being way too small), so it would fit nicely in a 3CWG. Plus 2 bikes as well. I do miss the 3CWG garage we had. :cry:

@CalBears96

Foothill Ranch tempted me because of the 3CWG and the elevation... but it's like next to Arizona. :)

We also prefer to celebrate at someone else's house... but I would like those spaces and 3CWG for myself just because I like to spread out. Like most, we barely used the formal living but it did get some mileage when we had occasional people over... or salespeople or whoever you didn't want to see your "lived-in" areas. :)

And our previous home was less than 2000sft, do it didn't have to be huge to have those spaces.

you need to stop stirring shit up. People are mentioning about what IP has been taking away from homes. He mentioned 3WCG is a loss, I’m saying losing a driveway altogether is worse.
Oh stop it. you are not that innocent 😇. Everyone here knows what your intention is.

How about stop holding grudges on calbear when he dumps shiit on you. Such a women. 😀
Wow, talking to you is like talking to a kid LOL. Its a forum, I hold no grudges but it seems like you have a grudge against me.. I must have hurt you bad before. I guess I got you where I want you right? ;)

Wow, talking to you is like talking to a kid LOL. Its a forum, I hold no grudges but it seems like you have a grudge against me.. I must have hurt you bad before. I guess I got you where I want you right? ;)
You did? 😀 i only say what i see fit based on conversations between you and him.

You did? 😀 i only say what i see fit based on conversations between you and him.
you're so childish that it's actually quite embarrassing. You definitely do have a grudge against me dude. Every post I talk, you always have to write a smart ass comment 😂 Anyway,I enjoyed this while it lasted. I'm done and let's have this thread back on topic.

it all comes down to lot size. for a typical median sized home around 2000 to 2500 sqft (built on a typical 4k lot), formal/separated dining/living will make it feel more cramped. 4k lot also means no 3CWG.

it all comes down to lot size. for a typical median sized home around 2000 to 2500 sqft (built on a typical 4k lot), formal/separated dining/living will make it feel more cramped. 4k lot also means no 3CWG.
Depends on execution... as I said.. had < 2000sft house with all those spaces and a vaulted ceiling and it didn't feel cramped.

bkshoppr (old IHB member) was very good at designing efficient floorplans.

you're so childish that it's actually quite embarrassing. You definitely do have a grudge against me dude. Every post I talk, you always have to write a smart ass comment 😂 Anyway,I enjoyed this while it lasted. I'm done and let's have this thread back on topic.
you always bitch away from your bs with the same crap “i’m done & get back in topic..” 😀

I can’t imagine living in a house with a formal living room and dining room in anything smaller than 3500 sq ft. You certainly will have a cramped kitchen, and then it’s weird because the people cooking or prepping are separated out, and likely the dining room is a bit cramped.

It’s also unused for 90% of the year. Many of my friends who live in older style houses have turned either the formal living room or family room into a not so private office, which is less than ideal.

On the other extreme though you have my friend who bought Genoa, and it’s basically a small 4 bedroom floorplan stretched out to what, 4100 sq ft? Comically large bedrooms and bathrooms, a medium sized kitchen, and a huuuge great room. Definitely would have made sense to have more smaller rooms in that floor plan though.

I can’t imagine living in a house with a formal living room and dining room in anything smaller than 3500 sq ft. You certainly will have a cramped kitchen, and then it’s weird because the people cooking or prepping are separated out, and likely the dining room is a bit cramped.

It’s also unused for 90% of the year. Many of my friends who live in older style houses have turned either the formal living room or family room into a not so private office, which is less than ideal.

On the other extreme though you have my friend who bought Genoa, and it’s basically a small 4 bedroom floorplan stretched out to what, 4100 sq ft? Comically large bedrooms and bathrooms, a medium sized kitchen, and a huuuge great room. Definitely would have made sense to have more smaller rooms in that floor plan though.
we would be fine with that actually. Our cooking is simpler and cleaner than that of my parents. We barely use the living room, so a smaller setup there is probably ideal. I greatly regret not buying a 2000 sq ft unit in PS in 2019 with everything you just said. Maybe it’s a a generational taste thing.

Interesting point about some of the new home designs. I have also noticed that some new homes are big just to be...big, and for no good reason. Some of the homes just have oversized bedrooms or oversized great rooms in a space that could be utilized much better. Some of the great rooms are so large that it's awkward to fill up the space.

Interesting point about some of the new home designs. I have also noticed that some new homes are big just to be...big, and for no good reason. Some of the homes just have oversized bedrooms or oversized great rooms in a space that could be utilized much better. Some of the great rooms are so large that it's awkward to fill up the space.
They can't give out that much land, so they try to give you a bigger house to justify the 2m+ for new SFH. It's simply maximizing the inside space and minimizing the outdoor space.

They can't give out that much land, so they try to give you a bigger house to justify the 2m+ for new SFH. It's simply maximizing the inside space and minimizing the outdoor space.
floor plans has been pretty much the same for each product type; outdoor space is already minimized to meet the minimum set back requirements. to add more sqft, they can only add the 3rd floor; or they can add more volume, 8 feet ceiling height gradually becomes 10 feet now.

I agree with that. My old home was 3309 sq ft, and we had a formal dining room and living room, and our kitchen was a bit cramped. But we did have two bedrooms downstairs, a huge bonus room upstairs and master bed/bath/closet is much larger than any home I've seen in Irvine.

And we've actually only used the dining room TWICE in our 15 year stay at that house. Barely used the living room also.

Bag of chips:

Back