New communities in Portola Springs

Hmmm I wonder who would take Cielo over. I could see CalPac potentially taking some of their projects since they were basically the IP of Irvine back in the day.
I don't think it will be Cal Pac as they're struggling to sell Sierra and Lapis. Cal Pac is a small company, so they won't be able to take over such a huge project.

And if it's really Cal Pac, then my wife will be extremely sad since we've read bad reviews about Cal Pac's quality and customer service. It's the reason we decided not to sign up for the priority list for Sierra when it opened up.

I could see KB Homes or Shea taking over as they've both done business with IP. But I heard that IP took back Groves from KB to build Ravello and Azul, so maybe something happen between them. I don't mind if it's Shea since I liked their Teresina in Lake Forest and Cetera at OH seems nice.

I don't think it will be Cal Pac as they're struggling to sell Sierra and Lapis. Cal Pac is a small company, so they won't be able to take over such a huge project.

And if it's really Cal Pac, then my wife will be extremely sad since we've read bad reviews about Cal Pac's quality and customer service. It's the reason we decided not to sign up for the priority list for Sierra when it opened up.

I could see KB Homes or Shea taking over as they've both done business with IP. But I heard that IP took back Groves from KB to build Ravello and Azul, so maybe something happen between them. I don't mind if it's Shea since I liked their Teresina in Lake Forest and Cetera at OH seems nice.
Oh no....not KB. That's the worst. I love Shea. Yeah I'm not sure about Cal Pac, but they used to dominate. They built many new homes in Irvine Company communities in Newport, Tustin, and Irvine. They're also the sole builder of the homes in University Hills (UCI housing) and I think most if not all of the Irvine Company apartments were/are built by them. Not sure how well-equipped they are to take over these current projects though.

It's real. Like I posted earlier, it was confirmed by Cielo sales person I got in touch with after hearing about it.

I'm sure they'll keep customer service people for the warranties, not to mention the warranties are covered by the vendors anyway. Customer service pretty much just pushes the vendors to come fix any issues.
This is crazy, seems like they are not making enough money to remain in the home building business anymore and are therefore pivoting their business as a master developer instead. I hope that they don't lay off their customer service people for the warranties on the homes already closed as Irvine Pacific had a good reputation for their warranties and customer service unlike some of the other builders even though most of the houses that they built were cookie cutter.

Yeah, my wife is really sad that we won't be able to buy Cielo, even if another builder keeps the same floorplan. She really likes IP's home quality and customer service.
I completely agree, Irvine Pacific and Toll Brothers are at the top in terms of quality and have the best design studios. Let's hope that Toll Brothers is the builder at Orchard Hills neighborhood 4.

I completely agree, Irvine Pacific and Toll Brothers are at the top in terms of quality and have the best design studios. Let's hope that Toll Brothers is the builder at Orchard Hills neighborhood 4.
Toll Brothers would be the perfect pick to build in OH4. That village is supposed to be super high end.

Let's see if I can put this timeline together correctly:

1. Before, TIC used to sell the land to the builders and let them decide what to build, price etc (within guidelines)
2. Not sure if it was from the beginning but eventually TIC was their own builder and also built/sold homes.
3. During the late 2000s crash, TIC contracted the builders to design/sell/build(?) homes but did not sell them the land.
4. Sometime after 2010 New Home Collection, TIC went back to selling land to builders but also kept a large in-house builder presence (for example the IUSD side of Orchard Hills were TIC builders and the TUSD side were other builders).
5. Great Park is all non-TIC because the land was sold to 5 Points and they in turn sold land to different builders (Lennar, Shea, Richmond etc)
6. Most non-GP new homes are built by Irvine Pacific (TIC) or CalPac (TIC adjacent?)
7. Going forward, TIC will go back to the builder model?

Is that right?

Toll Brothers would be the perfect pick to build in OH4. That village is supposed to be super high end.
I hope that they build homes there like the ones in Hidden Canyon and Alta Vista/Bella Vista, those will sell like hotcakes to foreign cash buyers🤣.

Let's see if I can put this timeline together correctly:

1. Before, TIC used to sell the land to the builders and let them decide what to build, price etc (within guidelines)
2. Not sure if it was from the beginning but eventually TIC was their own builder and also built/sold homes.
3. During the late 2000s crash, TIC contracted the builders to design/sell/build(?) homes but did not sell them the land.
4. Sometime after 2010 New Home Collection, TIC went back to selling land to builders but also kept a large in-house builder presence (for example the IUSD side of Orchard Hills were TIC builders and the TUSD side were other builders).
5. Great Park is all non-TIC because the land was sold to 5 Points and they in turn sold land to different builders (Lennar, Shea, Richmond etc)
6. Most non-GP new homes are built by Irvine Pacific (TIC) or CalPac (TIC adjacent?)
7. Going forward, TIC will go back to the builder model?

Is that right?
That's what it sounds like to me. Seems like for the little amount of TIC communities left with land for development, they will go back to other builders with their own designs. I just wonder what made them wait so long. I mean they're virtually finished with TIC community buildout at this point.

Oh no....not KB. That's the worst. I love Shea. Yeah I'm not sure about Cal Pac, but they used to dominate. They built many new homes in Irvine Company communities in Newport, Tustin, and Irvine. They're also the sole builder of the homes in University Hills (UCI housing) and I think most if not all of the Irvine Company apartments were/are built by them. Not sure how well-equipped they are to take over these current projects though.
Cal Pac got a lot smaller after Donald Bren sold it to his son, Cary Bren.

Azul in Portola Springs is rolling out some large lots. No view, but 8k-9k sq ft with no one behind you. I was interested...but now a bit hesitant with this news. Not sure I want to buy into a development that will be built by 2 different builders.

That's what it sounds like to me. Seems like for the little amount of TIC communities left with land for development, they will go back to other builders with their own designs. I just wonder what made them wait so long. I mean they're virtually finished with TIC community buildout at this point.
TIC took the prime parcels. Left the scraps for the other builders.

Circling back to this. It got me thinking about the 2007-2010 (I think) days. I wonder if when IP sells their current projects if there's a possiblity that the new builder won't want to use their designs. I remember a community in Woodbury East and in PS only having the model homes and no other build out because the new builder didn't build any of their plans. It would be interesting if the model homes were sold off and basically the only of its kind.

The examples are 23-27 Shaman in PS, a few places on Splendor in WE, and a building of townhomes on Sable in WE (Casalon in QH clone).

Circling back to this. It got me thinking about the 2007-2010 (I think) days. I wonder if when IP sells their current projects if there's a possiblity that the new builder won't want to use their designs. I remember a community in Woodbury East and in PS only having the model homes and no other build out because the new builder didn't build any of their plans. It would be interesting if the model homes were sold off and basically the only of its kind.

The examples are 23-27 Shaman in PS, a few places on Splendor in WE, and a building of townhomes on Sable in WE (Casalon in QH clone).
Yeah, I'm waiting to see what will happen to Cielo.

As for the model homes being only of its kind, that's probably what's going to happen with Olivewood and Arbor since IP were planning to open them up and suddenly just shut them down.

TB is good but it will come with a premium. I am not sure i’ll be able to afford it. KB or Lennar, I’ll stay put. 😎
I doubt that Lennar will take over the land that Irvine Pacific has left over for the other builders once they have completed and closed their existing homes under construction as Lennar is really focused on their Great Park Neighborhoods developments in Irvine. Toll Brothers seems like a real possibility in Orchard Hills neighborhood 4.

Back