New Car

Picked this up a few weeks ago, 85D model. Loving it so far!

zFks7kaU8pGPfBEt4n2GDmoguBcoeXTTvuHmF8lG_szbg4dEjNjK_tbukHI_VnbpfQaVgw_Akegdi_ikAIcHgvzz4CLkM9qDiEVQ5gbnGQKlVBK5j3W06OlTcJOC0JNy3sxlEmid61gDu8jhTfhbdH-8CgmA6jqsFhsSBMFGdENWPhAb94rpj8GWhqpBA-jMWPnESqkbJ1TVW03S2QqZ0IfcTSE9S5kmAXiI1P2q_pYGLJtHivG32Q7VU0HvU8FI3095jwxOXJOv6y8intSB8gQF7Fnoq4ne_guo-a_6NKU_6WzTF9WHaEyF8XVI6oV2TECP4jACJDotjjd-s2g0KgG8b8NJtuvZMVXAQZ3HxdKjSb_q8o-hX9wyOa5pZN7q5FrdVdKZbYwhlcrJkZ0whk88-sVexZ70hty5Sqk6TLlKRtcHQTX1H9gfax8v1rmF_h-y-eqONlEBWL6WD9Q8fLTSXdX89NJ-l5KXwMz7aRJqlo-nh2sdxR3R9NJ_9QZelpP4o5-eOuSatJs_KqwlXonUzapmBKUoD1DUVPlpxiBbUVWOlqoO36KQkrnDbCulCmJcdA=w1000-h664-no

kvj7kI3cXJpHb8STfcZNXV72HNjHdunmNWgP07tYDgVXnl0UCbbmSjAE7ZkwZi6FQHttiBbQ-QhF0vAosT1vEPUCI6-Jl9R-E3i7-h6rtLMJ4maQGo5hCpRR48d0JDZZjmXWU1yaNZzExuodubnSXaLeVK_-y5ogFE8nAJPSNJPYcWnpkiEsIVNalx-zvLsOQgcs8B2FvRBMcfL8UkAK2VQ2ua9yB1rtd3_erqjn8sjpm4DkjWJNHchk-VIqqbQ00yadYr2XC-TKHr5jevPuAf8KSQD2HEp9xpT60ww6E7GGOLBNVMkPfoVp0F3NWP1t6SDQ4S3xR9gtpdGqx2fvCfGrjgI1oOUq69dUOK7D8cXoiHVdJfcNlXLlVWXK0sxU9fIln6I4w5ziCJ1cX9lWozqW6azvcF9OTM4hAys23aUFcBVFFQKIyXIz9AdSEsO6qDClCchb5q-MRecKQxay6IK_jC4XHQnoWNdGK5ovfd64js7R_mx6NL5eJ4zJCvRsw2LTGItLptXFPjLKmBfQRzeC1JYXEf4nAkwydLRin9qbEfSdDq4oEQzpwJJxF9qyRRL0ew=w1000-h664-no

1UADZM1PVZeGbIQF5Ubq0xKhj6bK8pCoRJ-kjE9jTq4AU7K1gbnXabwVLKS6mt2wOWZKNRXSqP04RSgN-kVvhA9RzpM8kzlc7Ps_n9cyYz79X2kp3NihI2M0Zkp9495DsB9yTHoSwoUzgpqL7Ioj89vrmm3sP542MSZRrA1r4KtDsCL1DaaO8jWInM75p95aNej5wpxggKEAh74zx3VX3Ek1E1D0bkTc1mZlu6MEQOCKv9e-ngn5Mj09PwQdCAi8OjuSGYVztJ4lvFWmUGQe_GMKJfhc8PyL46qpLi4aSX-fbrHrjCXOU-liX734WDlp5PM974C_5D2dB4EHBaCaGcbDsUI2MtdBPHDohog9SgictLX3lbP_0wwJVCS_27iEI3Rf-3XN3sah8XaEyDJpFSpTIXc6CvVj3gwTAWLNNl4Ekkf3ZEdgJ_P8NzSI7e-lQTJIgFyxwAKErdJdCrC0kFCFhxAusef5CFnlbukSehDIESAmyEfhJC5-kMReGIbsk0Skn2MjpSb85EtkpKE7d89C6dxxdUs5BT65VWDjdUGcnoYYeWiZpXDYnt2S1YPKk1X9Ug=w1000-h664-no

0p0ZRgHo9GMuOwnQyfH1JkkatmYVBbp4z3MaHiuAGHPocNNw6JN0loe190c77GY6Qrap1l2RpudJckIvclXzTko6WAgdM9R_GXKamb3JRTZFAVw-mTVMzO0BgPTj-I8YsfUaeu24f76kTRC03b-Ug4IJtws7tfZ9Tz26pR2DxkAUocnas5X8NPbT1xGPNsLlNQJvDFkjNs4IQID5OCGDZLJHJBcFIjSMMjRFxNuuab4-YRO6gXtoHcpyY8Yl7wZOgu2SeEgQrvgQwCrrpyX4B-BBrwoPtCyM2kGfbFPZMCUrlHmKIUwumsNsiRT4qPZw92jjLVMGTZDMtjIeLGv3kWwnECnYtECXmTndg5Mb7oAdlyedYSuuO4a2T4jopJcC1vsd5dUL0Xn2NoPihVVuZzPhQog7nReYFe3nyS6m9yMmKBkI_zhImuVjqrEE7cu6m9XI01MPIgtNelX-SmNQsY7Y62DDfOzzW6-8Ti1axWhDybZkjHf_lFIYvCbRKgRZ7ixPHXsp1qY0q0YorHq0Szw_pQ9wLPMf2HMQTyHViOOTvp6bJWD_9sUjxudASrnaxtvdPA=w1000-h664-no

"Mommy, I think someone stole the engine in this car"

who designs these cars?? That is one UGLY car...I would pass. I'm sure there are better options out there that maybe more pleasing to the eye

What's everyone's preference for a mid range / full size family SUV?  I think I have it narrowed down to:

2017 Hyundai Santa Fe - They redid it a bit this year and looks descent.  The top of the line model gives you a lot for your money and my wife likes the large panoramic roof.

2016 Pilot - Would get EX-L with Nav.  I'm not overly excited about this car and dealers think that everyone is going crazy over them so they don't have to discount much.

2017 Mazda CX-9 - Looks nice in pictures but haven't seen it in the flesh.  Dealer should have them in 1-2 weeks and I'm on the waiting list just in case.  Was going to put refundable deposit but they don't quite know their allocations yet, the guy said next week they will.  Bad part is I will have to pay Sticker if I want this any time in the next few months (which I would)

2016 Kia Sorento - Wanted to like this but it's too small and the interior is very ugly.

2016 Highlander - No LED headlights or taillights until 2017 model which won't be out until Oct-ish, then this model year will look old fast.

2016 Nissan Murano - Probably too small and the Pathfinder looks 100 yrs old until they update it who knows when.

Need something economical with good gas mileage and lower repair costs so not really considering BMW/MB/Audi this time.

Anyone who owns any of the above or is going through a similar search, please let me know your feedback, thx.

I own the EX-L with nav and I like it.  It's my first ever suv, so can't really compare it to anything else.  I looked at the highlander but interior seemed really crammed compared to the pilot.  Same for acura mdx.

The only part that's lacking is the infotainment system.  2017 year model should come with carplay/android auto, so that should be much better.

Happy to answer any more specific questions on the pilot if you have any.

What about the new Volvo XC90? It's a nice looking SUV, safety ratings are really good. And it's a 7 seater.

Optimus(sub)Prime said:
Drove the new CX-9 a couple of weeks ago, it does look great.

alruiq.jpg

Hey Optimus - lucky you :)

What was your overall feeling?  Would you consider purchasing it?  How do you thing it stands up against other SUV's in it's class? 

From what I've seen the interior finishes look nice but I'm not impressed by the dash, the steering wheel or the infotainment system, both look a bit old and dated, but outside it does look great.

abosch00 said:
I own the EX-L with nav and I like it.  It's my first ever suv, so can't really compare it to anything else.  I looked at the highlander but interior seemed really crammed compared to the pilot.  Same for acura mdx.

The only part that's lacking is the infotainment system.  2017 year model should come with carplay/android auto, so that should be much better.

Happy to answer any more specific questions on the pilot if you have any.

abosch, how was your buying experience?  Most of the dealers I contact seem to turn up their nose and think like these cars are some rare commodity and they can just get any price for them.  I'm sorry but it's still a Honda and not something I feel like paying anywhere near sticker for. 

If I could negotiate an EX-L with nav down to around $37.5k OTD I would probably do it, but I almost don't feel like even talking to these salesman they just say like "oh yes everyone is wanting the Pilot, we can't keep any in stock, people are calling me from out of state, everybody loves this car" and I just roll my eyes and want to walk away.

Also, does it bother you to not have a traditional speedometer?  Seems so weird to me that they only have the digital MPH and no needle speedometer, I think I'd always be looking for it regardless of the digital readout.

Paris said:
What about the new Volvo XC90? It's a nice looking SUV, safety ratings are really good. And it's a 7 seater.

I really like the XC90 a lot both inside and out, but this will be a high mileage vehicle for us and I just can't see it being reliable in the long run.  I've also read too many horror story owner reviews on this @ edmunds about engine issues days after they purchased the car. 

I know all manufactures have their lemons but I just don't think I could bring myself to do it for something we'll probably put 15k-18k /yr miles on.

I'm gonna buy a Sienna XLE and I emailed 3 dealerships.
One was 32,630
The other was 32,500 with first 2 years of oilchanges and tire rotations free.

email quotes seem to work pretty well.

One wanted my phone number but I told him I didn't want people calling me.  I also told him I was still getting prices from 3 other places.  It made his offer the lowest.

Yep I've gotten a ton of email quotes - some are OK, others are not so good.  I figure once I decide exactly what I want I'll take the good quotes and go pay them a visit to try to shave off a bit more.  You have to find a good internet fleet dealer who doesn't mind emailing back and forth a few times then they seem to compromise a bit more on pricing. 

Zubs have you considered the Odyssey?  If you don't need Nav or Leather you can get the Odyssey SE with rear entertainment for around $29.5k.  I wouldn't mind it but my wife only wants an SUV so no go for me.

aquabliss said:
Hey Optimus - lucky you :)

What was your overall feeling?  Would you consider purchasing it?  How do you thing it stands up against other SUV's in it's class? 

From what I've seen the interior finishes look nice but I'm not impressed by the dash, the steering wheel or the infotainment system, both look a bit old and dated, but outside it does look great.

It will definitely drive better versus other SUVs in it's class. The large amount of low end torque gives it great pulling power on the freeway. I would agree the dash is minimalist in comparison to competitors, however it all works well, especially the Bose sound system and head-up display.

This video is helpful with covering some of the changes:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrY4g9EAveg

I like Mazda CX-9 too, great car. 

Don't forget to check out Costco's auto purchase program.  From what I've read on are other car forums, Costco's price are usually within $500 to the absolute lowest price in the market.  And if they are not the lowest, use their price as bargaining chip when negotiating with other dealer.  https://www.costcoauto.com/

Nice, the new cx9 looks so much better than the last one.  And a new torquey engine to boot compared to the last one.

How does Costco compared to truecar, I've heard conflicting accounts on which is cheaper.

As for the pilot, there is a pilot forum where people tell how much they paid for and for what trim, I was in the market maybe 5 years ago (hopefully that forum is still around) and gave me an idea of ballpark figure on what the price really should be

Recommend looking at the new Chrysler Pacifica.

You can also get really good deals on the Infiniti qx60.

Don't buy a vehicle without blind spot detection or read end collision avoidance. Also don't keep your vehicle too long and fall behind on the latest safety tech.

Car accidents are the #1 killer of kids between the ages 1 and 16.

lnc said:
I like Mazda CX-9 too, great car. 

Don't forget to check out Costco's auto purchase program.  From what I've read on are other car forums, Costco's price are usually within $500 to the absolute lowest price in the market.  And if they are not the lowest, use their price as bargaining chip when negotiating with other dealer.  https://www.costcoauto.com/

Agree with Inc on Costco auto. Was emailing dealerships for quotes last year and Costco beat them all by ~$700

Back