New Car

ps99472 said:
Last time I bought a car, I emailed a bunch of internet/fleet managers and the price was settle before I walked into the dealership..probably go that route again.
Best method... I hate haggling at the dealership... a waste of time.

I'm positive that car salesmen bug the office. As soon as the guy leaves you alone in the cube to go "check with the manager", that's my cue to start talking all kinds of stuff about the deal / vehicle / the lot and my bottom line. They think you're going to let your guard down and start sharing your real feelings with the person you're with. You could just get up and go grab a drink. However, if they're going to "take my temperature", I like to let them.

Best way to get a discount? Bring a kid with you that is near nap-time/hungry/explosion AND go at month's end. Dealers always try to close a few extra sales end of month/quarter/year.

Not on purpose we bought my wife's car after work when I had my wife/son with me. My son was 2 at the time and hungry/tired. The dealer basically caved to all of my demands because he was screaming and I wanted to leave (seriously, the poor guy was hungry). We ended up with a free DVD system + chrome wheels (didn't want, but whatever) + paid invoice -  about $600.  I checked out edmunds and we got a better deal than other people.

May I borrow your child?  :) I need to visit the dealer soon but my own are a bit older. Fantastic idea. $20 to the first parent who will meet me at Foothill Ranch Auto Center with their crying baby. Any takers?? Zovall? (hehe)

LAtoOC said:
Best way to get a discount? Bring a kid with you that is near nap-time/hungry/explosion AND go at month's end. Dealers always try to close a few extra sales end of month/quarter/year.

Not on purpose we bought my wife's car after work when I had my wife/son with me. My son was 2 at the time and hungry/tired. The dealer basically caved to all of my demands because he was screaming and I wanted to leave (seriously, the poor guy was hungry). We ended up with a free DVD system + chrome wheels (didn't want, but whatever) + paid invoice -  about $600.  I checked out edmunds and we got a better deal than other people.

So test drove the Avalon today.. nothing special, steering was really numb, big boat on wheels.. what really disappointed me was the fake plasticky wood panel in the car.. for this price, no thanks.. pressed on one of the storage bins that had the fake wood and it squealed!  Guess no Avalon for me..

Went next door and drove the Genesis next.. better drive, feel the road alot better and material/fit/finish seems better then Avalon, of course it's more expensive... but wife says no on the Korean car...stereotypes are hard to break

So what's next?  Acura? Infiniti? 

ps99472 said:
So test drove the Avalon today.. nothing special, steering was really numb, big boat on wheels.. what really disappointed me was the fake plasticky wood panel in the car.. for this price, no thanks.. pressed on one of the storage bins that had the fake wood and it squealed!  Guess no Avalon for me..

Went next door and drove the Genesis next.. better drive, feel the road alot better and material/fit/finish seems better then Avalon, of course it's more expensive... but wife says no on the Korean car...stereotypes are hard to break

If you want to use the rear center seat for a car seat, I wouldn't recommend the Acura TL. It has a hump, which makes it difficult to install a car seat in that position.

ps99472 said:

this should be next - the jaguar XF

US_XF_012_055_US-838x365.jpg

http://www.jaguar.com/us/en/xf/

ps99472 said:
but wife says no on the Korean car...stereotypes are hard to break

Perhaps your wife is too young to remember when driving Acura, Infiniti and (especially) Lexus was downright shameful.  Hyundai took the Japanese recipe and sprinted with it.

Get the Jag if you want boat loads of electrical problems. 

The Infiniti M37S is pretty sweet, luxurious and sporty, not sure how the interior space is.

Got a email quote from a Toyota dealer for the Avalon... over $7000 below MSRP and $200 below true dealer cost... they made the first offer... I smell blood.

Long time reader, first time poster:

The reason the Avalon is so highly discounted is that there is a new one coming out very soon. From what I hear, it looks amazing.

2013 Avalon supposedly a cross between Audi a7 and some other car, we'll see.  2011 is clearing out due to 2012 which is the exact same car.

Got it down to $31,000 + TTL = OTD for MSRP $38913.. this is a '11 Avalon Limited w/NAV, carpet mats, bumper applique.. about 5% below factory invoice or about $800 below true dealer cost.  I was leaning away from the Avalon, but after looking into other cars w/ factory NAV, most are bumped above $35,000 (TL, Maxima, Audi Q5, Infiniti EX)..  So based on price alone, hard to get a big sedan/SUV with factory NAV (I know, I know, but I do not like clutter aftermarket GPS in my cars) for $31k...  I'll let the dealer sweat a little and see what he does...  I'm in no rush to buy, pretty sure they want to unload their '11 Avalons.  Also has pretty good tech in the car, bluetooth to my iPhone, voice activated NAV, power rear window sunshade, HID headlights...

Saw a used '11 Avalon Limited with 20k miles listed at $28,000.. not sure if it is even Limited since the rims are the base Avalons..

After emailing the $31k price, dealer quickly emailed again and says it has to be $31,344 since i'm a cash buyer with no trade in...hmm.. kinda too late if you already put $31,000 on the table..

walk away?  i like dealing with these people... kinda get a kick out of it...  Don't really care for the new Avalon, new model will be harder to get a good deal...  Maybe it's knowing dealer is making next to nothing or gasp, losing money on my Avalon gives me shivers...the only problem i have with the Avalon is the faux wood, but at this price, I might be able to live with it.  This is only from one dealer... as soon as another one bites, I'll throw this offer over to them to beat it.. and so on and so on..

Only other car that is price similar is the Hyundai Genesis.. but hard to convince my better half still... and getting over the branding is hard.. you wonder why Hyundai didn't put their badge on the front fascia of the Genesis, which almost all automakers do.. remember when the Genesis first came out it had it's own "badge" on the trunk?  and not the current Hyundai branding?  Kinda like they're ashamed of their image..

Lexus GS is out of my budget..Maxima is decent but pricey for the brand, Infiniti EX is decent but expensive with the packages..love the Audi Q5 (and I'm not a SUV guy) but again expensive packages needed just to get the NAV....

I doubt the dealer is losing money, they never do. There is enough trunk money on the car that they'll still make a profit. The margins on the cars (not the published invoice,  but the factory invoice) is amazing. The Genesis badges are technically aftermarket, Hyundai builds all cars with the "H" badge. Dealers put on the Genesis wings if a customer asks.

I'm always interested in the Toyota vs Hyundai comparisons; I've worked for both companies, driven most of their cars. It's interesting to hear consumer feedback.

Avalon.jpg

Avalon2.jpg

Avalon3.jpg

First two pics are from truecar.com.  Never used them until now.  Their thing seems to be transparency, and not all dealers have signed up to work with them.  But they do provide good data to use as leverage against dealers that don't participate (print out the pricing and take it with you).  From their data, even with the holdbacks, my offer seems to be below true dealer cost (not the same as factory invoice).  Unless they have some special special hidden backdoor holdback from Toyota that only the owner of the dealer knows... In the second pic, you'll see the holdback and also the $3000 cash back deal going on right now. 

Third pic is from carsdirect.com.. they been around awhile, but I think truecar.com is beating them with this transparency thing. 

Over in Edmunds forums alot of people seem to trust truecar and so that is why I'm entertaining the $31,000 offer from a local dealer..

So my initial bid was factory invoice($35,614) - 5% - $3000 = $30,833

Back