New Car

ps99472 said:
maybe bad memories of being stuck in the back back seat of a wagon when i was little and facing either the car behind me or each other...
I think I did that once... but got too big to fit there so my *older* cousin had to trade his normal seat with me on road trips... score one for plus sizing!

Tho
USCTrojanCPA said:
iacrenter said:
How about one of these? Probably one of the better looking family haulers on the market. Drives like a sedan and has the space of a SUV. Almost the same price as a Honda Odyssey EX-L.

2012-Audi-A6-Avant.jpg
Those headlights look pretty slick.

Those headlights look slick if it was christmas time and I needed extra bulbs.

So reading Edmunds, seems like the Hyundai Genesis would be a worthy competitor to the Avalon?  Besides branding, anyone have negative feedback on the Genesis?  Looks like Mercedes styling to me, I buy cars and drive them for at least 5-8 years, so I don't care too much for depreciation

The Genesis is an awesome car.

I think Hyundai should have went ahead and created their luxury brand (Genesis) ala the Japanese companies... instead they just named the car that brand.

ps99472 said:
So reading Edmunds, seems like the Hyundai Genesis would be a worthy competitor to the Avalon?  Besides branding, anyone have negative feedback on the Genesis?  Looks like Mercedes styling to me, I buy cars and drive them for at least 5-8 years, so I don't care too much for depreciation
irvinehomeowner said:
The Genesis is an awesome car.

I think Hyundai should have went ahead and created their luxury brand (Genesis) ala the Japanese companies... instead they just named the car that brand.
Buy a 1-2 year old used car with low miles from a private party with a Penfed car loan and you'll be in great shape.  I bought my old M3 used for $28k with 36k miles and sold it 2 years later for $25k with another 35k miles on it. 

ps99472 said:

Genesis beat out the Chrysler 300C and Avalon in a comparison test on Automobile Mag website:http://www.automobilemag.com/review...is_vs_2011_toyota_avalon_limited/viewall.html

Used to drive a Genesis sedan for two years.
Pluses:
-Lots of interior space
-Well designed interior (loved the leather dash)
-Handsome but conservative exterior styling (300C has more of a gangsta look)
-Loved the RWD dynamics, strong V6 engine
-Ipod connectivity/Lexicon stereo if you got the tech package
-Driver vented seat (nice for those hot summers)

Negative:
-The early sedans had a jittery suspension on some surfaces (I believe they made improvements since ?2010)
-No luxury service/experience at dealership (but my oil change/service prices were cheaper than a Lexus/MB)

I do like the new 300 as well but it has severe blind spot views which makes backing up difficult in crowded parking lots (not so much as the small windows but the thick c pillar and slanted rear window line contributes to this.)  I'm not looking for gansta... more grandpa... 

So did a search on autotrader, no used Genesis avail within a 200 mile radius (2010-2011, 4 dr sedan)

ps99472 said:
I do like the new 300 as well but it has severe blind spot views which makes backing up difficult in crowded parking lots (not so much as the small windows but the thick c pillar and slanted rear window line contributes to this.)  I'm not looking for gansta... more grandpa... 

So did a search on autotrader, no used Genesis avail within a 200 mile radius (2010-2011, 4 dr sedan)

Maybe test drive an '09 and decide for yourself if you are okay with the suspension.

ps99472 said:
So where should I start, auto trader?
That's a good place to go to but also try www.cars.com  I went on there and found like 10 2010s and 2011s but only dealer ones.  If you can get a good deal on one from a dealer, go for it.  I just personally like to go with private parties.

I just picked up a new Acura TSX for ~$27K. After significant research I determined there is no better value in a sedan. I see used ones going for more than I paid, similar to our MDX. Resale value and reliability are off the charts for Acura. I am donating my early 90s Japanese luxury sedan with close to 300K miles to a local animal shelter, and plan to drive this one for 20 yrs as well.

They have 0% financing for 3 yrs, or the lease is pretty ridiculous as well (~$250/mo with $2995 drive off and $19K buy-out after 3 yrs). Score!

As an aside my research also verified the only quality German cars these days (at least that can match Japanese standards) come from Porsche. BMWs are built for performance and a useful life of ~ 10 yrs, but Mercedes S-class which used to be constructed to go 1 million miles are nowhere near that car with the current models.

Regular Avalon '11 (not limited) can be had for around $28-29K with the current $3000 cash rebate...  still not sure if it's worth it...  plus the selection is slim for '11 since '12 is available

Like USC said... you may want to look at a used 10 or 11 luxury sedan if you are going to pay around $28k.

Are the SUVs too big? The MDX is a pretty good one (as is the non-luxury Pilot).

The Genesis isn't a bad car for the money if you can get over the Hyundai factor.  Their styling and fit and finish has come a long way. 

Have you considered a 2008+ Lexus GS?  Infiniti M?

The Avalon like you said is an older folks vehicle, boring, steering feel is unresponsive, floaty feeling going over bumps... the list goes on and on...

I kinda like the Avalon, I was even sad when they stopped making front row bench seating anymore.  Love the floaty, boat feeling on the freeway.  At this point in my life I just want a good reliable car that holds value.  I still think its a great value, Lexus like but at a Toyota price.

You do know that Toyota recycles the machine mould used for the previous generation of Lexus.

ps99472 said:
I kinda like the Avalon, I was even sad when they stopped making front row bench seating anymore.  Love the floaty, boat feeling on the freeway.  At this point in my life I just want a good reliable car that holds value.  I still think its a great value, Lexus like but at a Toyota price.

homer_simpson said:
The Genesis isn't a bad car for the money if you can get over the Hyundai factor. 

"I know somebody paying child support for one of his kids,
His baby mama car crib bigger than his!
You see him on TV, any given Sunday,
Win the Super Bowl, drive off in a Hyundai..."

I have to meet you one day. If Zovall plans an IHB / TI party, would you come?

traceimage said:
homer_simpson said:
The Genesis isn't a bad car for the money if you can get over the Hyundai factor. 

traceimage said:
homer_simpson said:

Trace going Kanye on TalkIrvine :)

Back