Need to buy a new laptop computer... Help please ;-)

Ok, so I am in the market for a new laptop computer... I usually shop at Frys for this kind of stuff, but the IHB crowd was so incredibly helpful in my new TV pursuit... that I thought I would throw it out there for all of you!

So, I prefer a large screen. Mostly work in word, powerpoint and excel. Listen to music, movies, edit pics... but no gaming. Would like Windows XP, NOT VISTA!

Would like to be able to dock the laptop at my desk to use with my monitor, etc. And, also to be able to use it with my LCD TV for web surfing too!

HP, Dell, Sony? Can anyone help me out with best, for the price and where I would look to find the best deal???

Thanks again to all my awesome IHB'rs!

GITOC

[quote author="tenmagnet" date=1232522874]I have a Sony at home which I seldom/never use.

It?s yours

Let me know when you can drop by and pick it up.</blockquote>

GITOC, Sounds like a nice enough offer, but I would arrange for a <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_drop">dead drop</a>. :coolsmile:

You're going to have a hard time finding Windows XP in any of the retail stores.

I think MicroCenter in Tustin that has notebooks that run XP. All the netbooks (Acer/MSI/HP) run XP but those are smaller than what you are looking for.

I would order a Dell online... you can still get XP on some of them and they are very reliable. Some of the models you can see at Best Buy to give you an idea of look and feel.

If you do end up buying retail, I think you can get GeekSquad at BB to wipe the drive and load XP instead.

Most likely you are stuck with Vista for anything new, unless you can order it through your employer.

I really like the HP dv series: infinity edge widescreens, the tactile aesethetics in both keyboard and touchpad are very pleasing, and you can get one with very nice upgrades for less than $1600. Toss in a 3-year "Kitchen Sink" warranty and the whole thin is ~$1800 with taxes.

Dell is *meh*, but I own 3 of their boxes and they do alright.

Sony, Toshiba, etc... all over priced.

[quote author="Girl In the OC" date=1232522373]Ok, so I am in the market for a new laptop computer... I usually shop at Frys for this kind of stuff, but the IHB crowd was so incredibly helpful in my new TV pursuit... that I thought I would throw it out there for all of you!

So, I prefer a large screen. Mostly work in word, powerpoint and excel. Listen to music, movies, edit pics... but no gaming. Would like Windows XP, NOT VISTA!

Would like to be able to dock the laptop at my desk to use with my monitor, etc. And, also to be able to use it with my LCD TV for web surfing too!

HP, Dell, Sony? Can anyone help me out with best, for the price and where I would look to find the best deal???

Thanks again to all my awesome IHB'rs!

GITOC</blockquote>

Unless you use certain applications only available on windows, I would suggest you to consider macbooks. I am a die hard windows person until just three years ago. I switched to mac due to frustrations I experienced with Dell / IBM / windows. In particular the tech support, and hardware repaires.

I had my imac for the last three years, and the system is extremely stable. Now with their OS 10.5, you can run windows on Mac too. The best part is you can easly reach their tech support, and easlier make an appointment at the local apple store. Apple replaced my DVD drive just two weeks under the Apple Care program. It is just so easy.

You'd be surprised how many people have surplus/unused computers at home.

I've given away numerous old computers and laptops, and people kept dumping more on me because I acquired a reputation for recycling them. >_>

I'll second the Macbook. I was a PC user all my life and swore by them. Sony, Dell, HP, Acer, Toshiba, Compaq, I've had em all.

Bought a Macbook Pro this year, and the user experience is fantastic. The OS is extremely reliable, and basically beats Windows by a landslide. It is extremely stable, great battery life, awesome applications, I could go on and on. Not to mention really slick design.

I've always knocked on Apple, but since buying my macbook, I am an Apple user for life. Bye Dell, and good riddance Windows Vista.

[quote author="momopi" date=1232528244]You'd be surprised how many people have surplus/unused computers at home.

I've given away numerous old computers and laptops, and people kept dumping more on me because I acquired a reputation for recycling them. >_></blockquote>

Yep! I have the same thing. We finally upgraded to laptops and have never looked back. I'm not so happy about the peformance, once you start strapping any sort of CAD system or analysis system, it starts to REALLY slow down.

-bix

Macbooks are great from a hardware perspective. The nice thing about them is you can run the Mac OS AND Windows XP as an alternate OS / dual boot. You get the best of both worlds that way.

With regards to getting a new laptop with XP, I would get a Latitude from Dell Small Business. You can purchase it XP installed as a downgrade. The good thing about this is they will maintain and update the drivers for XP since they are being sold this way. You can do XP on a myriad of machines that come pre-installed with Vista, but driver compatibility, both now and in the future, could become an issue.

I am in the market for a laptop as well...

What is the different btw XP and Vista?

I wanted Excel, words, able to watch DVD and wireless internet (wifi)...

Thanks,

[quote author="tulip" date=1232540500]I am in the market for a laptop as well...

What is the different btw XP and Vista?

I wanted Excel, words, able to watch DVD and wireless internet (wifi)...

Thanks,</blockquote>

if these are the main functions you are looking for, mac sounds perfect for you. Internet is very stable on OS X, and most virus won't affect mac.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1232524056]You're going to have a hard time finding Windows XP in any of the retail stores.

I think MicroCenter in Tustin that has notebooks that run XP. All the netbooks (Acer/MSI/HP) run XP but those are smaller than what you are looking for.

I would order a Dell online... you can still get XP on some of them and they are very reliable. Some of the models you can see at Best Buy to give you an idea of look and feel.

If you do end up buying retail, I think you can get GeekSquad at BB to wipe the drive and load XP instead.</blockquote>

You can get a Dell without Windows on it, buy XP separately, pop in the DVD and install it.

What are you using to edit Pics?

Other than editing pics, nothing you've listed requires anything more than the $479 laptops you see advertised. If you're not doing intensive transformations/processing with the pic editing, the generic graphics chipset will run it. If you want Windows XP, Dell will preload it for $150. A 15.4" Inspiron with XP is $679 at Dell with 2GB. It runs XGA and has both a standard VGA output and an HDMI output for use with your LCD TV.

Frankly, I'd just get more memory and save the $150 and bite the bullet on Vista whole price $659 with 4GB. With 2GB memory and Vista, the price is a mere $579.

Once you decide what to buy, I recommend checking sites like <a href="http://www.bensbargains.net">Ben's Bargains</a> and <a href="http://www.techbargains.com">Tech Bargains</a> to look for sales and/or coupon codes. Hardware manufacturers are hurting, and sales and coupons are plentiful.

I picked up a Gateway P7811 FX right before Christmas for $750. Though Gateway isn't my favorite manufacturer, the spec of this thing was too good to pass up. 17" monitor, P8400 Intel processor (Core 2 Duo @ 2.26 GHz), 4GB of DDR3 RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM Hard drive, Geforce 9800M GTS video card with 512MB of RAM. It's really an incredible machine for the price.

Thanks everyone!

So much good info... I just don't know if I could make the mac switch! I know many of you said you were die hard windows in the past, went to mac and never looked back... but, I'm still nervous about the switch I guess!

I have a desktop here at home, and I'm just sick of the thing taking up so much space. With a laptop and the memory the have now, it just makes sense to me to switch to a laptop... plus the added benefit of being able to surf the web on my 52" LCD!!! :cheese:

If you need a computer for multimedia (picture/video editing, watching movies, listening to mp3's, web surfing, even word processing and MS office) then a Mac will be a no-brainer.

For gamers and heavy office usage, I would get a system with XP.

[quote author="Girl In the OC" date=1232551637]

I have a desktop here at home, and I'm just sick of the thing taking up so much space. With a laptop and the memory the have now, it just makes sense to me to switch to a laptop... plus the added benefit of being able to surf the web on my 52" LCD!!! :cheese:</blockquote>

So, you like to travel, eat sushi, and surf the web with a 52? LCD?

What a coincidence, me too!

Try dealnews.com for competitive prices. The gf and I purchased both of our desktops and laptops through links from that site.

/s

person with no proprietary interest in dealnews.com

Back