Need New Washing Machine & Dryer

IACRenter_IHB

Anyone have some tips on a good washing machine and gas dryer?

I already checked consumer reports (CR) online. Their suggested washers seem to be full of negative comments from other CR subscribers on the website; the gas dryers seem to be more universally appreciated.

I would like to pick one that qualifies for the Irvine Water District rebate and Gas Company rebate programs.

I am unsure of getting a front loader vs top loader washer. I heard there are issues with top loaders have more mold issues due to the rubber door seal and balance issues if placing a bulky item without counterbalance. I also read on CR that the average time for a wash cycle is a lot longer in a front loader vs top loader...again not sure if true since I never owned one.

The washer and dryer will be placed on a 2nd floor interior area, so noise and vibration will be a consideration as well.

Ideally I don't want to spend more than ~$800/unit. I would be willing to spend more if there is a real quality and reliability difference with the increased money spent. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Neptune that is 11 years old. I understand the new units are better, but I really can't see how. It's quiet and does an awsome job. Even the electric dryer is fine.

The Mrs. took it apart this weekend because one of the filters on the hot water side stopped working. Before anyone gives me any grief, I was doing the brakes on her car when she was fixing the washer - I can't do everything!

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1236860862]I have a Neptune that is 11 years old. I understand the new units are better, but I really can't see how. It's quiet and does an awsome job. Even the electric dryer is fine.

The Mrs. took it apart this weekend because one of the filters on the hot water side stopped working. Before anyone gives me any grief, I was doing the brakes on her car when she was fixing the washer - I can't do everything!</blockquote>

I guess Mrs. vas is as awesome as you are. Anyway, we had to replace our washer and dryer (at different times, hell, I really don't care if they match). The front loading washing machine uses much less water. We are extremely happy with our LG washer and dryer, I'm too cheap to get the steam washer, so we got last year's model. I guess I'm not really into the status of it all, so we went to the Sears Outlet in Santa Ana and got the $1400 washer for $750 with a few small dents and scratches (which it probably would have by now anyway). There was an amazing selection of just about anything you could want there, but I tend to go for the higher end brands/models. I really wouldn't buy anything but a front loader now that I've owned one. Our last washing machine was 15 years old and we used it until I it wasn't worth repairing. We actually have a situation with an old style washing sink that made a front loader necessary (long story), but I'd imagine that in the event of a washing machine disaster, it would be helpful to have a front loader upstairs (not very much water at all). Just my 2 cents, but it comes from a lot of research.

I second Sears. They are really the best place for any appliances, IMO. Great service.

We went low budget last fall and bought the cheapest energy star rated Kenmore front load washer/front load gas dryer they offered, and have been nothing but happy with them. SO quiet compared to the top loads we had in the past. Seriously, except for the spin cycle you can stand right next to washer and hardly know it is running. Dryer is just as smooth, can never hear it when door is closed on our upstairs laundry room. Highly recommend the front load, and you can still get those on a budget. Just checked Sears and the models we got are on sale for $679 each right now.

You can save a lot of money at the Sears Outlet, just have a truck and be prepared to take it home with you. The warranties are all the same, it's definitely worth the hassle for the price. You will get a much better product for the same price as the cheap stuff, especially if you don't mind a dent or two. Not everything is damaged, in fact, most items aren't. If I were you, I'd go there and check out what they have, then check Consumer Reports online, and then go back and get what you want. Again, I recommend LG.

I'm sorry, but I've never had a worse experience with customer service than shopping at Sears Outlet. I bought a dishwasher from them. After the sale was completed, I got to the car and realized I purchased the wrong color appliance, so I went back in about 5 minutes later to see about cancelling my order and re-purchasing the right one. They said they would do it but were going to charge me a restocking fee (which was a percentage of the price and this was a very expensive model, therefore the restocking fee was pretty high.) I looked over and the appliance hadn't moved one inch. The lady said they hadn't touched it yet but that's their rule to charge the restocking fee even if it doesn't need restocking. She didn't care that I wanted to order the same thing but the other color. I asked to speak to a manager and she said she was the manager. I told her to keep the machine and forget about my new order - I was going somewhere else. When I got home, I called corporate and complained. I got their canned apologies. Well then guess what... we usually buy all our appliances at Lowe's so we stopped by there and found the exact same thing we had just ordered at the "outlet" but for cheaper. It was a holiday weekend (I think it was Memorial Day) and they were having sales. Now every time I need a new appliance I tend to wait for their holiday weekend sales and get a good deal. Also their customer service is good. Oh yeah - and a few days after my order at Sears, I got a call from their store confirming delivery (???) for the next day. I knew they must have made a mistake in not cancelling the delivery appointment - the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing there. I honestly didn't say much and knew they would figure it out. Truth be told, the evil-me sort of did want them to take the machine off the floor, realize their mistake, and put it back since I paid a restocking fee, and now they truly would be restocking it. Well it went much further than that - they called me again the next day and said they were on their way. I told them they shouldn't be delivering it since I cancelled the order several days prior. The "lady" began screaming and cussing me out on the phone. Totally unprofessional! I just told her to talk to the manager if she had any issues! Oy -- I don't like them, sorry!

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1236893475]Oy -- I don't like them, sorry!</blockquote>

After that crap, I would have sent in a bill to corporate for fixing their mess. I just went to BB, but now I go to Lowe's or Builders Bane.....

Good luck

-bix

Sorry you had that experience SoCal. My only experience has been finding what I want, taking a few minutes to wait for it to be loaded up and going home. I wouldn't judge the whole company on one bad experience. I've bought 7 appliances there in the past 10 years.

Front loader: have to bend down to put clothes in and out, but otherwise better (uses less water, also less likely to trash clothes as it lacks that top loading center agitator thing that tens to tangling up dangling cords and such). Also, the one I had could spin the clothes faster, so they are less wet coming out and require less time in the dryer.

I second the Sears Outlet. And I second LG washer dryers. I spent about $1400 on a washer / gas dryer set from Sears outlet. They came, delivered it on the second floor, set up, and made sure it was working.

It's a front loading system, and I got a rebate from the Orange County water district with my receipt. I believe it was for $150 I don't really remember.

I don't have a problem with vibration and i am on the second floor. I can sometimes hear the water injected during the wash's initial cycle, but that's it. when the dryer's on and the door is closed, nada. I don't have pedastals though.

It's a great machine, LG.

Definitely front loader... not only does it use less water... but it also makes drying time faster. This results in two ways to be greener.

This is also very helpful when washing multiple loads as we usually had to wait for the dryer to finish before we can wash the next load.

The other nice thing about a front loading washer is there is more "counter space" to put laundry supplies and folded cloths (since most laundry rooms lack any real counter space).

The one caveat, as you mentioned, is that some front loader machines do tend to have that mold issue. I'm not sure how that is with the newer models but I've seen it on our Maytag Neptune. Part of the reason being that since front loaders require a rubber seal/gasket and people usually keep the door closed when not being used... that seal can't dry properly.

I agree with others about getting discounted machines... even the lowliest of front-loaders are quite good.

When you take a load out of a front loading washer, take a towel and wipe down the inside of the door (and the seal). This takes about 10 seconds and should help to avoid any mold issue.

Pacific Sales... We fairly recently bought Frigidaire front loaders and they beat the Sears price (not the outlet) after all the Sears discounts, rebates, etc. by over 10%. I like front loaders for the ease of loading/unloading, lower water usage, and quicker drying times.

I think the extended warranty, which runs for three years, was very affordable as well. Might have been a special at the time, but for each appliance it was only $99.

I love Pacific Sales also, I've only bought one thing there but it was a great experience. I would never go to the regular Sears store, only the outlet.

A cup of Sunlight dishwashing soap (the kind for your dishwasher) poured straight into the tub helps too. Obviously cycle it with the machine empty! Leaving the door open after you get done helps too.

I paid a guy $100 to come tell me that. Actually, I think I had a board that burned up or something (I guess I did have to work on it), but the trip was worth the $100 to figure out how to kill the smell.

time will tell but i recently purchased the samsung WF328AA from sears, i didn't want steam but did want a separate extra rinse and separate extra spin option. i also wanted a warm/warm cycle. it is in the garage on concrete but the thing is solid during the spin cycle.

Thanks for all the feedback. I will look into getting a front loader...maybe LG. I will check out Sears Outlet and Pacific Sales as well as some of the big box stores. Sounds like the mold/smell issue can be addressed with leaving the door open, wiping the door seal, and occasional cleaning.

Speaking of Sears, the Sears Essentials store on El Camino Real is closing. I checked it out today, there are some TV's 15% off, most washer/dryers/fridges are 15%. IMO, right now it's not much of a bargain. I was checking out a Dyson that was $499 with 10% off, $449. Basically you save on tax.

Maybe in a few weeks the savings will get bigger. But it seems to be emptying pretty fast as there was heavy traffic throughout the store.

[quote author="Shooby" date=1237202395]Speaking of Sears, the Sears Essentials store on El Camino Real is closing. I checked it out today, there are some TV's 15% off, most washer/dryers/fridges are 15%. IMO, right now it's not much of a bargain. I was checking out a Dyson that was $499 with 10% off, $449. Basically you save on tax.

Maybe in a few weeks the savings will get bigger. But it seems to be emptying pretty fast as there was heavy traffic throughout the store.</blockquote>

You will not find much (except hype) at a going out of business sale. As has been reported by several major networks, they jack up the prices to suggested retail price (which no one pays) and then discount slightly from there. The "going out of business" sign seems to be enough for most suckers to believe they are getting a bargain. By the time the real discounts are found, there is nothing left but the crap no one wanted in the first place. I went to Circuit City near my house during the last two days before they closed and the only thing of any interest was one big screen TV at 40% off, which I could have found just about anywhere. My advice: don't waste your time.

[quote author="tmare" date=1237202701][quote author="Shooby" date=1237202395]Speaking of Sears, the Sears Essentials store on El Camino Real is closing. I checked it out today, there are some TV's 15% off, most washer/dryers/fridges are 15%. IMO, right now it's not much of a bargain. I was checking out a Dyson that was $499 with 10% off, $449. Basically you save on tax.

Maybe in a few weeks the savings will get bigger. But it seems to be emptying pretty fast as there was heavy traffic throughout the store.</blockquote>

You will not find much (except hype) at a going out of business sale. As has been reported by several major networks, they jack up the prices to suggested retail price (which no one pays) and then discount slightly from there. The "going out of business" sign seems to be enough for most suckers to believe they are getting a bargain. By the time the real discounts are found, there is nothing left but the crap no one wanted in the first place. I went to Circuit City near my house during the last two days before they closed and the only thing of any interest was one big screen TV at 40% off, which I could have found just about anywhere. My advice: don't waste your time.</blockquote>

Yep, i went to the Circuit-tuitous City and sure enough everything wasn't cost effective. I could have gone to WALMART and gotten a better price on the TVs. If Walmart ever starts appliances, woe to everyone else.

-bix

Back