NBA 19-20

Have to remember these games start early.

Both #1s lost first game... and Clips lost last night... gonna be a weird playoffs.

More concerned about the draft for my Warriors :)  Wouldn't mind seeing the Bucks go down early so that Giannis can go play with the Splash Brothers.

irvinehomeowner said:
Giannis will a Laker before a Warrior. :)

Why would he be a Laker?  To play second fiddle to Lebron?  Laker basketball is so boring to watch...it's basically lebron for like 20 seconds...then AD...then lebron...and then AD. 

Didn't keep AD from going to LA. Everyone wants to play with LBJ... and who knows if he will be a Laker in 2021.

And you're biased... Laker basketball is the most exciting it's been in a while... AD is awesome.

Warrior basketball is all IL right now.

irvinehomeowner said:
Didn't keep AD from going to LA. Everyone wants to play with LBJ... and who knows if he will be a Laker in 2021.

And you're biased... Laker basketball is the most exciting it's been in a while... AD is awesome.

Warrior basketball is all IL right now.

LBJ will...he wants to be in LA for his post-NBA career.  AD may actually not in LA next year.

Biased?  I am talking about style of play...it's super boring.  Lebron and AD...and KCP?  Seriously.

Warriors taking the year is perfect...they swapped out KD's salary slot for Wiggins and high draft picks...they could have the no. 1 pick this year.  It could like when the Spurs lost Robinson and were the worst team and then drafted Duncan. 

LBJ might end his career in Cleveland playing next to Bronnie.

One can argue shooting 3s is more boring than shooting, driving, dishing and dunking. :)

GS might be done... nothing lasts forever.

irvinehomeowner said:

One can argue shooting 3s is more boring than shooting, driving, dishing and dunking. :)

I'm biased?  Warriors basketball in the past 5 years has changed the NBA and was the most fun I have seen in the past 30+ years. 

Of course nothing last forever but losing out on this year and getting a no. 2 pick will help keep it going a lot longer. 

Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I'm biased?  Warriors basketball in the past 5 years has changed the NBA and was the most fun I have seen in the past 30+ years. 

Of course nothing last forever but losing out on this year and getting a no. 2 pick will help keep it going a lot longer.

Most fun in the last 30 years? Even more than MJ Bulls, Magic Lakers? Kobe/Shaq Lakers? 7 second Suns were more exciting.

@IC:

You seem to have an interesting take on what is fun and boring when it comes to basketball.

The NBA has been fun the last 3 decades with Showtime, Jordan era, even Detroit Bad Boys. Malone/Stockton pick and roll, Dantoni run and gun in Phoenix, NY and now Houston, Shaq/Kobe run was awesome, Spurs fundamentals was consistent and even the RunTMC days of GS were all fun to watch. I can name more but I can't say the NBA now is the most fun now than it was before.

And it wasn't Warriors basketball that changed the NBA... it was 3 point shooting and the move to stretch bigs. While 3 pointers can be attributed to Steph/Klay Splash, there are other players like Harden and Dame that have the same effect. If you are referring to small ball... that was around prior to GS... and GS doesn't even had any dominate stretch bigs.

I actually think the Warriors are done... Draymond is older, no Iggy, Klay's durability is now questionable and although Steph has proven that he is more durable than his younger ankle plagued years... he is also older. If KD stayed... there could be a few more title shots but I can't really see another multi-title run in their future.

Edit: Cares knows what I'm saying.

Cares said:
Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Most fun in the last 30 years? Even more than MJ Bulls, Magic Lakers? Kobe/Shaq Lakers? 7 second Suns were more exciting.

MJ Bulls were not "fun"...Magic Lakers were fun but mostly in the 1980s...7 seconds Sun were fun but not nearly as fun as the Warriors.

irvinehomeowner said:
@IC:

You seem to have an interesting take on what is fun and boring when it comes to basketball.

The NBA has been fun the last 3 decades with Showtime, Jordan era, even Detroit Bad Boys. Malone/Stockton pick and roll, Dantoni run and gun in Phoenix, NY and now Houston, Shaq/Kobe run was awesome, Spurs fundamentals was consistent and even the RunTMC days of GS were all fun to watch. I can name more but I can't say the NBA now is the most fun now than it was before.

And it wasn't Warriors basketball that changed the NBA... it was 3 point shooting and the move to stretch bigs. While 3 pointers can be attributed to Steph/Klay Splash, there are other players like Harden and Dame that have the same effect. If you are referring to small ball... that was around prior to GS... and GS doesn't even had any dominate stretch bigs.

I actually think the Warriors are done... Draymond is older, no Iggy, Klay's durability is now questionable and although Steph has proven that he is more durable than his younger ankle plagued years... he is also older. If KD stayed... there could be a few more title shots but I can't really see another multi-title run in their future.

Edit: Cares knows what I'm saying.

All those teams were great and had their own styles but they were not "fun".  Bad Boys Piston and Knicks were not full to watch...they were effective.  Malone/Stockton were also great but also not fun to watch.

Jordan was amazing to watch and the Bulls were great but again...not "fun". 

Dantoni's run and gun was fun but actually way too hectic and very up and down. 

Houston is definitely not fun to watch...Harden is probably one of the most boring players in the league.  He is amazing what he is able to do but I want to stab myself watch.

I grew up in the Run TMC era...they were also great and fun but nowhere near what this latest version of Warriors.  Steph Curry could be the most fun player in the NBA...maybe ever. 

Steph changed the league...go look at his stats.  Warriors were the ones that made it okay to shoot threes...Dirk was seen as this lone wolf but Steph and the Warriors basically eliminated the traditional center by making them look silly in trying to defend the 3.

I don't know what 2021 Warriors looks like..you could be right that they are over the hill but getting a number 2 in the draft and a trade chip like Wiggins helps...I can't wait to see what happens when Giannis announces him going to the Warriors.

irvinehomeowner said:
I forgot... you think having a small lot is fun.

It's all relative. :)

No...fun is entertaining.  Watching Harden jab step and dribble for 20 seconds and then trying to get foul'd is not fun.  It is effective...not fun.

Watching the Pistons and Knick elbowing and pushing people in the key and elsewhere was not fun...effective...not fun.

Kobe and Shaq were great...mostly cuz Shaq was so dominating but fun wise...not as much.

This is not my "biased" opinion...go read NBA writers and bloggers talk about the Warriors...it is the most fun they have watched in a long time.

Warriors and Steph basically eliminated traditional and non-shooting bigs from the league...they also changed defenses with wing players that can guard 3 to 4 positions and are interchangeable.  The traditional concept of "positions" are largely irrelevant.  It may change again in 20 years but there can be no dispute that the Warriors have reshaped and changed the NBA.

If you want to talk about what really changed the NBA in recent times, it was Lebron and Bosh going to Miami. All contenders created their own "Big 3" to compete. This had a greater impact and created a ripple effect on the league.

I prefer to see the athleticism on display, driving and flying through the lane for a dunk, etc.

I mean shit, I can stand out there by the three point line and shoot threes myself. I will say though, it?s quite impressive to see the range guys have, Lillard in particular is nuts. I think he has overtaken Steph in terms of just dropping threes from way out there. I think steph started it but Lillard has taken it to the next level.

Cares said:
If you want to talk about what really changed the NBA in recent times, it was Lebron and Bosh going to Miami. All contenders created their own "Big 3" to compete. This had a greater impact and created a ripple effect on the league.

Sort of...people saw that as the one-off though and then Lebron went back to Cleveland.

Most of the Warriors were homegrown and/or signed in a normal fashion...KD was the exception.  KD was actually the bigger splash IMO because everyone knew that Lebron was being wasted in Cleveland.  Few people thought KD would leave OKC...let alone go to the Warriors.

@IC:

Did you real ALL the writers and bloggers... listen to NBA Radio or even local stations... it's not Warrior love everywhere except in your own mind. :)

Your idea of "fun" is relative. What's fun to you may not be the same for others... like me and Cares. Physical basketball is fun for many people... I'm sure Detroit and Knicks citizens will disagree with your notion of fun.

Did you watch The Last Dance? There are still Jordan fans today who think the 90s Bulls were more fun than the Warriors. Same with Showtime and Shaq/Kobe Lakerists.

Just admit the bias... c'mon... it's okay. Lakers are not even my favorite team but I can see the "fun". And Harden is actually one of my favorite players... so I think he's effective AND fun. I didn't like him before because of that same narrow bias about him always trying to get fouled but once you look at the nuances of what he does, you can appreciate his talent.

qwerty said:
I prefer to see the athleticism on display, driving and flying through the lane for a dunk, etc.

I mean shit, I can stand out there by the three point line and shoot threes myself. I will say though, it?s quite impressive to see the range guys have, Lillard in particular is nuts. I think he has overtaken Steph in terms of just dropping threes from way out there. I think steph started it but Lillard has taken it to the next level.

Athleticism is great and that is why watching like Lebron and MJ is great...but there is a whole different level of fun when you watch a guy like Steph dribble around and launch 3s at will. 

Be like Mike was the thing in the 1990s but that was just a dream...being like Steph can actually come true...even if it happens once in a blue moon.

Recency bias...Lillard is great but he is neither the distributor or as consistent as Steph. 

Lillard is a career 43.7% shooter..37.3% from 3s...career eFG of 51.6.  Averaging 6.5 assists a game.

Curry is a career 47.6% shooter...43.5% from 3s (8.2 a/g)...career eFG of 58.1...averaging 6.6 assists a game. 

Back