My parents are drinking Kool Aid

Trooper_IHB

A little help from the IHB Community please.

My parents have just identified a new house in Connecticut that they are about to put an offer in on. :gulp:

I've talked myself blue in the face, but simply cannot reach them. The economy, Blah blah blah, housing bubble, blah blah blah....it goes in one ear and out the other. I just told my Dad last night that the fact he is considering purchasing a depreciating asset, goes against everything he ever taught me. Again, blah blah blah....."um-hmm dear".

My parents seem enamored with the fact that the actual builder was the person that came out to show them the house. They thought it added a nice personal touch...I think it's because he's laid off all of his sales people. (that also went in one ear, out the other).

Three weeks ago, when this discussion first started, I asked my Dad what the comps in the neighborhood were. Well, he hadn't gotten any yet. :bug: I talked with him again last night, and he said he now had them. I had him read off what his real.....tor (trying to be very nice here, you'll understand why in a minute) gave him for comps. He had three. One from 2005. One from 2006 and one with no sales price nor closing date (it ended up actually just being a "contract" for one of the houses that's being built, but not closed yet). That's it. Nothing from 2007 or 2008. WTF ! Of course, both listings show the ask and the purchase price being the same. (ie: For Sale $491K, Sold $491K)

He's starting to get testy with me because he thinks it's a good deal and that I should be supporting him. I told him I would support him, but that he should be wheeling and dealing a lot more with this builder. I do believe that my Dad has drank some Kool Aid....help.

Facts: The project is called Hatheway Farms and it's located in Suffield, Connecticut. It is a 55 and over retirement community consisting of 18 homes. They began selling in 2005 I believe, and there are currently 3 or 4 homes left (depending on who you talk to...one is apparently the one under contract) <a href="http://www.ctmove.com/construction/hatheway/">Hatheway Farms</a>

The house he wants is listed at $449, 900. He said realtor whispered to him that it can be had for $430 out the door.

<a href="http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?ctid=6322&mnp=29&mxp=28&typ=1&sid=664f218e8f3b4e26b452886c2665123d&pg=2&lid=1084730311&lsn=14&srcnt=14#Detail">This one</a>

There also appears to be a resale (built 2003, 500 sq ft smaller) in the same hood for $424,900 <a href="http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?ctid=6322&mnp=29&mxp=28&typ=1&sid=664f218e8f3b4e26b452886c2665123d&pg=1&lid=1098238985&lsn=10&srcnt=14#Detail">Resale</a>

How do I get more recent comps ? IR2, any suggestions ?

I mean, this house is finished on the outside only, the inside is blank. It's been sitting for over a year. It also has a crack in the basement (yes, we have them) floor that my Dad is concerned about. (Dad will ensure that the crack is drilled out and recemented and epoxied to his satisfaction prior to purchase.) All the standard upgrades are included with that $430K number.

They had considered the last remaining model home, which is slightly smaller....price $399K fully furnished and turn key... My parents liked the furniture and decorations, so offered 10K cash for all of it so they don't have to go shopping.

I believe my Dad's final deal will be $430, throw in the furniture, fix the crack, and put in the basic studs on basement walls for future drywalling/finishing.

Anyone have any feedback / advice ? What would you realistically offer.... (They love the place, my brother and cousin are only 20 mins away...so that's a factor).

Help

I'm really looking to find the asking prices of these homes since the development opened. AND their subsequent reductions..... how do I do that?

On closer inspection of their website, it appears that there are 28 homes, not 18. Maybe 10 were built earlier.... and 18 are in this phase release.

Thx Eva. Suffield is in Hartford County. The street names are:

Gideon Way

Emma Place

Elizabeth Lane

Abraham Terrace

Charles Court

Daniel Circle

Oliver Trail

Crazy Conn. they are old school there. The best I could find is the town clerk who has the property records. Just because it took more than five minutes, and although it is pretty much useless, I am going to post it...

Suffield Town Clerk

83 Mountain Road

Suffield, CT 06078

(203) 668-3880

Sorry Troop if I am not much help on this one. Hopefully EvaL pulled up some good info for you. If you want... I can call the builder, tell them my mom is retiring, wants to move to Conn., blah blah blah, and that I will offer $350k take it or leave it.

The price seems high for that location of Conn., but I only have driven through the state, so what do I know. I would be concerned with a crack in the basement. I know your dad will get it fixed and fixed properly, but it concerns me on what else is wrong. Just my ?2, which go up by the day, every day.

Eva is the BOMB ! She was able to find me about 14 comps dating back to 2004. Woo hoo....thanks buddy.

Graph, Suffield is actually a fairly affluent town....home prices are all over the place though. Hard to gauge. My father always insists on buying new....he's never bought a resale.... so his options are limited. That crack in the basement bothers me....I hope he doesn't just have the rose colored glasses on and is jumping at this b/c it's the last large home available. I keep trying to tell him that there hasn't been a recorded sale there in over a year....but he's chomping at the bit.

We'll see. I passed along Eva's comps, that should open his eyes a bit.

Filling a crack is like painting over a water stain. Cracks are usually only a symptom of an underlying problem, like residual tensile stresses in the cement from settling. If the basement floor is decoupled from the structural foundation of the house then it may not be a big deal, but if they're one and the same, then that is a BIG red flag.

Trooper, may I ask how it turned out with your parents? Did the awesome comps Eva dug up help you convince them?

[quote author="NewToOC" date=1213758058]Trooper, may I ask how it turned out with your parents? Did the awesome comps Eva dug up help you convince them?</blockquote>

Just as your parents let you make your own mistakes, you have to let them. Give them your best council and then move on. I know its not fun and I know its not the best. But when people won't listen to reason, then the best you can do is to tell them and then move on.

Good luck and I hope everything works out well.

-bix

Is there something special about the neighborhood or other external factors, that might make this property a worthy purchase?

If it's just the "new" house and easily replicated elsewhere, you might want to just take them shopping.

Or you could engage in guerrilla warfare to make this specific house unappealing, such as paying a homeless dude $20 to sleep by the front door just before their visit "look, neighborhood is going down the tubes I say".

I just dropped my Mom off at the airport, she came to L.A. for a quick 3 day visit. We talked a lot about the future purchase and I went over the comps again with her. I showed her the forums and let her plink around on them for awhile (she really like the main blog and the $ breakdown).

I am proud to announce, that IHB has saved another one ! She is marching home to my Father and telling him to put down the Kool Aid (and Mom wins every time).

Thanks all ! Woo hoo !

[quote author="Trooper" date=1213867834]

I am proud to announce, that IHB has saved another one ! She is marching home to my Father and telling him to put down the Kool Aid (<strong>and Mom wins every time</strong>).

</blockquote>

Ahh HA! The truth comes out! ha ha.

Glad to hear things went well. I'm sure in a few months/year or two the clarity of the situtation will come though.

P.S. we owe ya a drink if you ever make it down.

-bix

Glad it worked out for you Trooper. You are a good daughter for doing all you could to keep them from making a major financial mistake. :)

Yes, that is the furnished model they almost bought for 399K....still for sale, saved 20K so far ! ;)

The bigger one they considered is still for sale at the same price. Interestingly enough, the resale has raised their price from 424K to 434K. Hmmmm, short sale approval price?

[quote author="Trooper" date=1218790431]Yes, that is the furnished model they almost bought for 399K....still for sale, saved 20K so far ! ;)

The bigger one they considered is still for sale at the same price. Interestingly enough, the resale has raised their price from 424K to 434K. Hmmmm, short sale approval price?</blockquote>
Troop, have your parents given you props for talking them out of the deal?

Back