Moving Company

Do not use Schick off Jamboree in Irvine. They steal from you. They packed for me and secretly removed contents of my electronic gifts items and packed the empty boxes. I unpacked the items stored in the garage 8 months later and discovered my GPS monitor was missing when I felt the Garmin box was kind of light. There were other small items that I could not locate as well. Never hire them by the hours because they will stretch out the day and packed in more billable hours for 3 guys. Only hire the movers for one fixed fee and they will work really fast and leave early. They also charged for the number of boxes packed. Most boxes were empty and full of packing papers. The trick was to sell me twice the number of boxes as well as twice the time to move and much easier for them to lift. I stacked the packing paper flat and the pile was 7' tall. 7 sheets of 24"x24" paper was used to wrap my 10 cents soy sauce dish. My 1,400sf home moving fee was 5k and I got stucked with over 120 boxes. I have been waiting for this post for a long time.

<p>It's hard to find reputable movers. A lot of moving companies hire ex-cons and I have heard a lot of similar stories from my friends regarding stealing. Also, check the cabin of the truck when they unload. Somehow my friend's DVR was packed under the front seat of the moving truck. I guess they thought the DVR should have had a special ride up front than in the back with the rest of the boxes.</p>

<p>With all the horror stories I've heard from my friends, we have always moved ourselves. We pack and move all our own boxes. We only hire movers to move the heavy furniture once everything is all moved out. It's difficult for them to hide a large couch under the front seat in the cabin of the truck. </p>

<p>CW - If you do hire a moving company, I would recommend that you personally pack your financial documents, blank checks, keys, and any valuables such as jewelry, GPS, etc. You can get free boxes at Albertsons, Pavilions or BevMo. Pavilions has the best apple boxes! Stay away from the banana boxes - they attract ants (learned that the hard way). </p>

<p>Oh, and keep an eye on your remotes - I've heard they like to disappear with movers.</p>

CapitalismWorks--I used Costa Mesa Moving Company last year for a 1 bedroom move within Irvine. They did a good job, were efficient, and didn't steal or break anything. They also have a good rating on BBB. Cost me about $500 but saved my back from torture (I used to live on a 3rd floor walk up). Good luck with your move.

I had stuff stolen when I moved across country. But trying to prove who did it, is impossible. I just chalked it up to "won't do that again". They weren't even sneaky about it, bent up to box tops of all of them to see what was inside. It was so obvious when the boxes were delivered, I almost choked the poor schmuck who had to drop them off. Forget about trying to make an insurance claim too....what a joke. I'll move myself, or follow the truck from now on.

<p>I learned it the hard way. Move the valuables yourself. They also stole my Digital Camcorder along with my daughter's baby footage in the side pocket pouch. The thieves hide small valuable in their pockets like my GPS. Never label the too obvious boxes like Master BR Jewelry box or light boxes that belong to the dresser. They will open those boxes in the trucks. When you sign the agreement and paid the bill you have only an allocated amount of time to report all losses and damaged items must be immediately checked before signing. Move your valuable electronics yourself like Ipod, Iphones, cameras, Memory sticks and disks, and most importantly the chargers. Most stolen items are chargers and camera batteries. </p>

<p>On a different note most travelers check in their luggage on the flight with camera and phone chargers. They are stolen frequently by the baggage handlers. I lost many before along with 2 and 4 GB San Disks. I am a constant victim of crime and safety is at the top of my priority list.</p>

<p>Troop, can I hire you to protect me?</p>

<p>I've also caught movers looking through boxes when there wasn't any reason to be looking through them. </p>

<p>I agree with Troop - we'll be moving ourselves as well. We've always been able to have it expensed through a company move - and we still move ourselves - so money isn't the reason. I just don't trust anyone. </p>

<p>BK, we do that as well. We have one carry-on luggage with all our jewelry, checkbook, iPod, laptop, GPS, digital camera, batteries, chargers, memory sticks, etc. It's a pain to have to bring it on the plane with us - but those are the things that get stolen. We also bring a luggage lock and secure valuables in our suitcase in the hotel. </p>

<p>Pack all boxes yourself and spend more money and time for the extra tapes. Tape the bottom and top really well and tape the diagonals like an "X" at top and bottom. Use a permanent markers and draw squiggly lines across the tape and over the box to maintain the original seal. It is really hard to open the box without damaging the seal. Use clear tape for sealing and for the final seal use wide masking tape. Most movers do not carry masking tapes so they can not reseal a tampered box. Once the masking tape is on the sealed box make several cuts across the masking tape lightly by using an ex-acto blade or box cutter because it is really hard to remove a piece of tape with cut in several sections.</p>

<p>I have been a victim of crimes all my life and I hope you all will benefit from my loss.</p>

My Lord. The horror stories make total sense. So the question is, where do I find one that isn't going to steal or break anything. I will also be "helping" them, and we are moving 2 blocks, so I they won't have much opportunity to rummage.

Silly me, I forgot to mention that it was Red Ball that I used. Here's schadefreude, years later.... DON'T USE RED BALL, they (or their subcontractors) STEAL.

<p>We used Starving Students a couple weeks ago out of Long Beach. Nothing broken, nothing missing. Packed our boxes ourselves. Took the papers/valuables ourselves. Everything went great. </p>

<p> </p>

used bekins to move my mom down from northern california and somehow a rug, coffee maker, silverware and who knows what else didn't make it. i did pack all her valuables (paperwork, electronics, 40" LCD, jewelry) and put in the van i drove down. if i do it again i will personally inventory and number each box - never rely on the movers, they put stickers on them but didn't write the numbers down anywhere so they're meaningless.

i did use starving students to move my stuff down from los angeles back to irvine and the guys did a great job, nothing broken, but again i pack and bring my valuables myself, basically they just moved my furniture.

<p>We've used Lucky Moving Company (Asian company based in City of Industry) three times and have been nothing but happy. Always prompt, professional, careful, and very cost effective. Never anything broken or missing. I used United and Bekins in the past and they were horrible, similar to other stories here. Lucky has a loyal customer in me. I think they do a fair amount of business in Irvine, see their trucks often. </p>

<p><a href="http://www.luckymoving.com/english/about_us_en.asp">http://www.luckymoving.com/english/about_us_en.asp</a></p>

<p>Don't forget to be good to the movers, and they'll be good to your stuff. I always tip them, and give half at pick up and make sure they know the other half is coming if everything makes it in good shape to the other end. And always have lots of bottled water and Carl's Jr. available. Those dudes appreciate that.</p>

<p>pods.com</p>

<p>Load it yourself at your own pace, lock it... then they ship it OR hold it for a short time period of time. Then they deliver to your destination, you unload yourself at your own pace. In my opinion, it's better than renting a truck. </p>

Back