Mobile Nations - Android, iOS, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, WebOS, etc...

What do you encrypt your password list with?  Do you also encrypt your personal docs before storing to the cloud?  Do you worry about online storage disappearing a la megaupload?  I think online storage can serve a good purpose.  However, for privacy, you definitely need to encrypt with a strong method before uploading.  I'd definitely keep anything local that you definitely need so there's no worry that it'll disappear for unforseen circumstances.

jvna said:
What do you encrypt your password list with?  Do you also encrypt your personal docs before storing to the cloud?  Do you worry about online storage disappearing a la megaupload?  I think online storage can serve a good purpose.  However, for privacy, you definitely need to encrypt with a strong method before uploading.  I'd definitely keep anything local that you definitely need so there's no worry that it'll disappear for unforseen circumstances.

I actually don?t encrypt anything at all.  I know it might be too late when a breach happens, but Gmail and Google Docs has never let me down.  I?ve only recently enabled 2-step verification, other than that, my password files are under an ?abbreviation?; like most of my documents; and it would take a very long time to dig through the piles of emails to get to any relevant documents.

I actually trust most on-line storage more than my own local storage; I can?t count the number of times my hard disk just died or gotten a virus.  Sure I?ll be sure to keep a local copy somewhere for the really important things but for the most part; I trust the cloud.

Now work stuff is important, but not critical.  Being in sales and marketing, I actually want as many eyeballs to see the things I have created; no secrets here.  But if it were to be deleted or blocked; most documents have an email attachment anyways.  It?ll just be a pain to recreate them; most company sensitive reports are actual paper-hard copies.

Bitcasa itself is encrypted; there are a few articles flying around, about it; so I feel fairly confident, but if I start hearing words of its trustworthiness, then I would be moving things around.

i am in sales and marketing as well but have lots of <company name> Confidential marked on many of my presentations.  as such, cant use 3rd party service cloud service that IT has not approved and dropbox is definitely not approved due to lack of encryption and security measures. 

will PM you for invite to bitcasa, curious to try it out

That's the problem with many corporations... they can't use 3rd party cloud services because of lack of security, compliance, audit controls etc.

Some can't even use online fax services because that data contains sensitive material and who knows where it's being stored.

Personally, I like cloud services (which is really just a new fangled name for "The Internet") because I find my personal use nothing more than a browser most of the time, so the accessibility for any device is great. But for businesses... being able to access any information from anywhere isn't always a good thing.

yah efax is blocked at my work but a host of other online fax services arent

IT orgs should realize that their is a greater risk of someone losing their physical device like a USB key or even their laptop with their password on a post-it than someone breaking into the enterprise cloud storage providers like box

I use Dropbox.  For non-personal info (like shortcuts to URLs), I store it on there normal.  For things like my password vault database, it's encrypted with AES 256 bit encryption before it leaves my laptops.  No company is immune from getting compromised.  Even RSA (company that makes your Secure ID fobs for remote connection) was compromised last year due to social engineering.  I get spam email from friends' personal emails from time to time which shows that their email accounts were hacked.  I don't trust anything online so I do as much as I can to protect myself.  Also, when uploading anything on the internets, your information will traverse the backbones of various other companies/networks.  Any of them may have some malicious person trying to sniff out the information.

As for losing info on a USB stick, our company has a policy that any removable media is encrypted.  It's been proven time and again that if you stick dozens of USB key randomly throughout a company's campus, a good percentage of employees will invariably pick it up and stick it into their work computer.  That can potentially install malicious malware.  Social networking engineering (such as the purposely left USB stick example) is the crutch of any technical protection.

edit - corrected to say social engineering instead of networking.

It's another Tuesday, it's getting hot, the RC family is still recovering from being at the ER on Sunday, I had a hard time getting to work, cause the kid woke up early and was holding on to my leg, begging me not to go, I got tons of paperwork, pilling up, there are just tons of Android news... too much to cover... everyone just needs a break...

Why don't we just make paper Androids today... Agree...?  Alright... here you go...

IMG_20120519_182732.jpg

origami1.png

Attachments

• origami.pdf
    57.6 KB · Views: 182
I had a sleepless night in what seemed to have been a while.  The home PC has been acting up, the wife has had trouble getting things to load and of course last night just before bed the thing stopped working all together.  Nothing would open, Chrome was crashing and we had to power cycle about five time; until we just gave up and went to bed.

Just like a burning house; there comes a panic that sets in and you start to spin about what pictures or documents you need to get immediately out of that computer.  Luckily most things are already on Android or on the cloud; I woke up at 5am this morning, booted the piece of shit up and managed to get about 10gigs of information onto the Nexie before XP had enough.

Very timely topic since I?ve been talking a lot about back-up and storage.  Bitcasa is becoming a massive dumping ground for old Window PCs that are no longer here.  Each folder is named after the year the computer had existed; it?s a holding grave yard, for when I have time later to sort things out.  Just like a use car, that left you broken down and stranded; the home PC has now became un-reliable.  Let?s see what I can do tonight, but a full HD wipe would at least take a weekend.

I?m making it my mission this year to slowly gravitate away from any Microsoft products.  I've been saying this for a while now; but I imagine, the work PC would be the last one to die, but I?m going to really try and see if I can do it.  A lot of great Android hardware is coming on line and let?s see if they can take the place of the traditional desktop PC that looks the same as it ever had since 1980.

$49 Android PC from Via revealedhttp://phandroid.com/2012/05/22/95622/

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Gfo6V9zxE&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

via-49-android-pc.jpg

Always Innovating - Dongle
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAa-xfD-rcg&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Rikomagic MK802
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az7SXHPBgco[/youtube]

Back