Low Income Housing in Irvine

20,000 low income unit in 5~8 years ? That is 20,000X4=80,000 residents. That is 30%, instead of
10% of Irvine population. I think Irvine company and city of Irvine should put this great news to its website homepage!

It will become another tustin, divided into two parts: tustin ranch and tustin getto.

[quote author="graceomalley"]

What made Santa Ana a ghetto are the Taquerias not the low income families who will be moving to irvine fron Santa Ana.
RE prices will not be affected.[/quote]

Santa Ana has been considered "ghetto" since at least the early '70s, but that's because there used to be a lot of black people living there. Now the correct term would be "barrio".

Santa Ana has done a lot to assist the poors and provided almost every social programs under the sun. Although the city has a long way to go but it is far from over. I do live in the city and contribute greatly through my business taxes. My home and business taxes supports the city and local school and my daughter tutors the local 6th graders.

My daughter do not receive Christmas presents her share get donated to the Make a wish Foundation on Redhill.

Sending my daughter to a separate school and supporting charity cause are two separate issues. If I want to help the local Santa Ana prostitutes on Harbor Blvd to get back on their feet and live a normal life then should I send my daughter out to become a hooker by using your logic?

You just lower your integrity 3 notches by calling the local Santa Ana children icky. It is never the children who failed in life it is the adult who failed them.

I contribute a lot to this city and schools through my neighborhood fundraisers. My neighborhood is not for the elitists just for people who care enough for a neighborhood that the white flight or Asians like yourself had abandoned many decades ago. Homeless men and women lined the perimeter every morning.

Honestly ask yourself and your neighbor when was the last time you even drove to Santa Ana and I do not even dare to ask helping at at homeless shelter other than thanksgivings.

I moved away from Irvine because of people like you and it is a bad example and a disgrace for my daughter and family.

I read all your degradation comments regarding Santa Ana since you signed on and I have never challenge you on any of them.

How can you call my neighborhood an Elitist place when clearly no one here have the kind of wealth like Irvine/Newport.

Around it are plenty of shelters, Aids and free health Clinics, Integrity House for the mentally retarded adults and numerous facilities. When I don't send my daughter to the local schools it does not mean that I don't endorse Santa Ana for having done an excellent job in accepting all walks of life.

I never said Santa Ana is perfect and it has many problems such as schools.

I am going to say this just more time. It is not the kids that failed in Santa Ana schools. It is the adult who abandoned them like you and your neighbors who wants to move as far away that failed the children in our society. I like them and my daughter tutors them.

My neighborhood home tour donate 80% of the proceed to the local schools and scholarships for graduating seniors. You should retract your statement insulting the local Santa Ana kids. They are innocent and not having the privileged life like you for them to do well.

Parents are busy making a living to making end meet and teachers are left to struggle without budget and parents involvement. I came from school like this and I understand.

Take your prejudice and keep it where it belong.

Blueberry, the area you described west of 55 is Costa Mesa know as the South Coast Metro and not Santa Ana proper. North of Warner all the way to 17th street just to let you know as a part of your education.

[quote author="IACRenter"]
[quote author="graceomalley"]If you think Irvine does not have an elitist attitude then you are wrong. Take you for example who currently live in Santa Ana but wanting to move to Irvine. Your action does not match your voice.

I moved from Irvine to Santa Ana and I do see many charity organizations in the city. I could not find charity organizations and homeless shelter while I lived in Irvine for over 15 years. Except of course for those private fundraisers where there are photographers present for magazine publication. Not even a trauma hospital for Christ sake when the population has already exceeded 200,000.

How many of you really drive west of the 55 fwy to see how the poor live except when you are inside an ambulance for a one way trip? There has to be a business motive $$$$ for Irvine. Have you seen the latest UCI proposal to raise more $$$?

Irvine is excellent for a lot of things but humanitarian focus is dead last on priority. The affordable housing was imposed on to the city after the city tried to overturn the ruling and resisted it for over a decade.

Wake up and look at the mirror and stop taking the credit for welcoming the low income families.
[/quote]

Grace take a chill pill.

During your time in Irvine it sounds like you never got out much.
There are numerous charitable organizations in Irvine (http://www.cityofirvine.org/services/charitable_organizations.asp#international), including many churches that especially focus on outreach to the homeless/low income. In fact, some of the organizations you see helping out the destitute of Santa Ana are from Irvine and other OC cities.

I am not sure why you keep bagging on Irvine for not having a trauma center. There are many California cities with populations greater than 200K without a trauma center--Anaheim, San Bernardino, Huntington Beach, Fremont, Modesto, Glendale, Stockton, Chula Vista... It is not the sine qua non of a great city.

Both Santa Ana and Irvine have their pluses and minuses. Apparently both have articulate loyalists on TI. Let's just be grateful we live in this great country, where we have freedom to choose where we want to live and can have open discussions like this.[/quote]

Anaheim has a trauma center : Anaheim Memorial

San bernardino has 2 : San Bernardino County Medical Center and Loma Linda University Medical center

Modesto has Memorial Medical center

Glendale has population less than 200,000

Stockton has 2 : St Joseph and UC Davis medical center in Stockton

Chula Vista : Scripps memorial hospital

Irvine : The most progresive city has NONE

Can I guess why you let your daughter to tutor Santa Ana kids? For a better resume to get into a good college. If you really love Santa Ana kids, let your daughter attend Santa Ana school and socialize with them, make friends with them.

Also why there are so much shelter in Santa Ana? Not
because Santa Ana residents are more generous or humane. Just because there are much
more poor people living there.

BK, you don't need to defend yourself about where you decided to put your daugther through school or why you moved to Santa Ana. I, as any other loving father would have also done the same thing you did? I know that you were a single father raising your daughter at one point and raising her to tutor the underprivileged children and giving her exposure to how the poor live is a very noble thing to do as a father. I truly respect you for that. BK. For the past three years, it was very difficult for me to understand where you were coming from, but now i think i do. I am a little saddened to realize it took me this long to come to my senses that Irvine was not the place that i have dreamed of all these years. A place filled with many false hopes and promises. I don't know if it was the short moment i had a chance to meet with Su kee Kang, Seeing how the OC/LA Korean elitest treats my father-in-law. My father-in-law has a heart of snow as he is the nicest person in the world, but doesn't have much in financial terms. I guess i am also at fault for judging my OC brother-in-law of why he tries so hard to live above his means. I guess one day i realized this place is not in sync with my deepest values and this not what i want in my life. BK, I had made a promise to the Lord that if he blesses me financially that I will not turn my back to the poor during my senior year in college. I still remember that prayer so clearly in my head after 12 years.

[quote author="graceomalley"]Santa Ana has done a lot to assist the poors and provided almost every social programs under the sun. Although the city has a long way to go but it is far from over. I do live in the city and contribute greatly through my business taxes. My home and business taxes supports the city and local school and my daughter tutors the local 6th graders.

My daughter do not receive Christmas presents her share get donated to the Make a wish Foundation on Redhill.

Sending my daughter to a separate school and supporting charity cause are two separate issues. If I want to help the local Santa Ana prostitutes on Harbor Blvd to get back on their feet and live a normal life then should I send my daughter out to become a hooker by using your logic?

You just lower your integrity 3 notches by calling the local Santa Ana children icky. It is never the children who failed in life it is the adult who failed them.

I contribute a lot to this city and schools through my neighborhood fundraisers. My neighborhood is not for the elitists just for people who care enough for a neighborhood that the white flight or Asians like yourself had abandoned many decades ago. Homeless men and women lined the perimeter every morning.

Honestly ask yourself and your neighbor when was the last time you even drove to Santa Ana and I do not even dare to ask helping at at homeless shelter other than thanksgivings.

I moved away from Irvine because of people like you and it is a bad example and a disgrace for my daughter and family.

I read all your degradation comments regarding Santa Ana since you signed on and I have never challenge you on any of them.

How can you call my neighborhood an Elitist place when clearly no one here have the kind of wealth like Irvine/Newport.

Around it are plenty of shelters, Aids and free health Clinics, Integrity House for the mentally retarded adults and numerous facilities. When I don't send my daughter to the local schools it does not mean that I don't endorse Santa Ana for having done an excellent job in accepting all walks of life.

I am going to say this just more time. It is not the kids that failed in Santa Ana schools. It is the adult who abandoned them like you and your neighbors who wants to move as far away that failed the children in our society. I like them and my daughter tutors them.

My neighborhood home tour donate 80% of the proceed to the local schools and scholarships for graduating seniors. You should retract your statement insulting the local Santa Ana kids. They are innocent and not having the privileged life like you for them to do well.

Parents are busy making a living to making end meet and teachers are left to struggle without budget and parents involvement. I came from school like this and I understand.

Blueberry, the area you described west of 55 is Costa Mesa know as the South Coast Metro and not Santa Ana proper. North of Warner all the way to 17th street just to let you know as a part of your education. [/quote]

I said icky because that is what I suspect YOU think. I guess my sarcasm is not coming across clearly. Your daughter might tutor these kids, but I doubt she has any real friends among them. How can you accuse me of criticizing the Santa Ana kids, when you will not even let your own daughter attend school with them? I would consider that elitism.

You're a hypocrite. I stand by that. You speak loftily about Santa Ana and how wonderful and upscale it is (Diane Keaton's house, blah blah blah), and then out of the other side of your mouth you exhort how terrific it is that you have poor people/homeless people/prostitutes in your midst...even though I'm sure you have little to do with them other than cross the street when they cross your path.

I was most recently in Santa Ana on Monday. Yep, 2 days ago. I still challenge you to come up with a correct assumption.

What IS it that gets your knickers in a twist so much about Irvine? Normally I wouldn't bring this up but since you take shots at my husband I think it is fair game: did you live in Irvine with your former wife?

Edited to add: I've made few, if any, "degradation comments" regarding Santa Ana. All I've said is *I* would not live there, *I* would not send my child to SA schools, and that I don't believe it's true that Santa Ana has little crime compared to Irvine. (I even acknowledged that there are some good schools in Santa Ana like Greenville.)

If you know of any other comments I've made, please enlighten me.

I think I might have to stop arguing with you soon. It's not impacting my life in a positive way.

I go to Grande Bakery and Tortilla at 214 N. Grand Ave. They have very good mexican sweet bread.

And i think i have to agree with Traci - BK does come across a bit hypocritical, but then again who isnt. I still dont think he answered why he doesnt send his daughter to SA schools.

[quote author="new2irvine"]

Anaheim has a trauma center : Anaheim Memorial

San bernardino has 2 : San Bernardino County Medical Center and Loma Linda University Medical center

Irvine : The most progresive city has NONE[/quote]

Anaheim Memorial is not - it was de-designated back in the 80s.

Loma Linda Med is a trauma center but it's not in San Bernardino - it's in Loma Linda

Stockton - I don't think either of those are trauma centers. Traumas get sent to UC Davis in Sacramento which is located ON stockton blvd but not in stockton.

Chula Vista - Scripps is located in San Diego proper.

Not that any of this matters but I just wanted to point out some of the inaccuracies. Scripps is 12 miles from Chula Vista - which is the same distance as UCI Med to most of Irvine.

[/quote]
New2irvine,

Thank you for posting accurate information.

Additionally, Glendale does have a population greater than 200K.

"As of the 2000 census, the city population was 194,973. Since then, there have been estimates of 201,326 by the U.S. Census Bureau in 2004, 207,007 by the California State government in 2005, and 207,303 as listed by the California Department of Finance in 2009 [1], making it the third largest city in Los Angeles County and the seventeenth largest city in the state of California."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glendale,_California

[quote author="graceomalley"]Anaheim has a trauma center : Anaheim Memorial

Irvine : The most progresive city has NONE[/quote]

Trivia Answer #41 - Birthplace of the ugliest man you'll ever love. Woot!!

[back to read and learn mode]

My daughter speaks fluent Spanish and she does get along with the kids in Santa Ana. Like I said the teachers and SA school science program does not meet my daughters level of performance. She did consider OCHSA but this school emphasizes Art over science. She plans on becoming a doctor and work oversea in South America helping children. Her goal of being fluent in both languages and spanish culture started early. Not putting her in SA school totally was due to school performance and not children. Most of you do not get this.

Do you child a favor. 99.99% of the worlds population do not live in the Irvine like cocoon. A stepford sheltered life only narrow their life experience, perspective, and the inability to cope in other environments. This is only a fairytale city modeled after Disneyland. Not every girl is a princess with glass slippers and price charming on a white horse. It is completely staged and fabricated like a movie set where sheeple are being cast as the leading role.

You can call me what ever you like. I know I made a right decision to leave Irvine and allowing my daughter to see and grow up in a place that is real and understand that life is not always pocket parks, Target, Costco, or Swimming pools there are struggle in people's life, making end meet, pregnant teenagers going to free clinic via buses for prenatal care, Casa Teresa providing hope for them, and homeless people are not just addicts but normal families with mom, dad and kids.

How many of Irvine kids really know that or their parents even really care?

At the end of my life I know that I made a difference in some people's life and I have raised my daughter well with an education that she can help others in need. For those of you thinking that motive is for getting a resume for getting into a good college I will have to say shame on you. If this is how you teach your children then your dad should have spilled his seeds on the ground.

I do this not because I want to show off to a bunch of TI members. It is my personal moral conscience. I moved to Santa Ana long before the existence if IHB. You may not like my method but I am much grounded in reality where my every day experience is surrounded by the true facets of society. You may read about it in book and your children may think it is just TV fiction.

Let me share with you an incident that occurred a long time ago in Santa Ana. A female body was dumped a block east of Harbor Blvd by 1st street. It was near the Ace Hardware store on First street not far from my previous office. I called 911. She was young and looked underage. I later learned that she was the grand daughter of the fame Montessori founder and she was a prostitute. I drive the boulevard with my daughter to let her see the world is not like Irvine. Condoms are being disposed on residents front lawn. Johns were picking up girls driving fancy cars purchased from Irvine and Newport car dealers.

Do I sent my daughter out on the street and be with the runaway teenagers like the Montessori grand daughter because I feel bad for their life and at the very least help them by referring them to the shelter.

There is a difference between helping but not crossing the line. The two are kept separate. Just like helping Santa Ana gang members to focus on the future but not getting involve in their gang turfs. After all, there are risk and it is important to minimize my family in harms way.

I am not perfect and least I am trying help the few that I can afford with time and money that I saved by not contributing to the greedy developer and paying for the unnecessary expensive schools. You may not agree with my tactic but I would be happier to see my saved money making a difference in people's life than to elevate a billionaire up a notch on the Forbes list or some fancy crappy granite counter top or a kitchen remodel.

[quote author="traceimage"]
[quote author="graceomalley"]Santa Ana has done a lot to assist the poors and provided almost every social programs under the sun. Although the city has a long way to go but it is far from over. I do live in the city and contribute greatly through my business taxes. My home and business taxes supports the city and local school and my daughter tutors the local 6th graders.

Blueberry, the area you described west of 55 is Costa Mesa know as the South Coast Metro and not Santa Ana proper. North of Warner all the way to 17th street just to let you know as a part of your education. [/quote]

I said icky because that is what I suspect YOU think. I guess my sarcasm is not coming across clearly. Your daughter might tutor these kids, but I doubt she has any real friends among them. How can you accuse me of criticizing the Santa Ana kids, when you will not even let your own daughter attend school with them? I would consider that elitism.

You're a hypocrite. I stand by that. You speak loftily about Santa Ana and how wonderful and upscale it is (Diane Keaton's house, blah blah blah), and then out of the other side of your mouth you exhort how terrific it is that you have poor people/homeless people/prostitutes in your midst...even though I'm sure you have little to do with them other than cross the street when they cross your path.

I was most recently in Santa Ana on Monday. Yep, 2 days ago. I still challenge you to come up with a correct assumption.

What IS it that gets your knickers in a twist so much about Irvine? Normally I wouldn't bring this up but since you take shots at my husband I think it is fair game: did you live in Irvine with your former wife?

Edited to add: I've made few, if any, "degradation comments" regarding Santa Ana. All I've said is *I* would not live there, *I* would not send my child to SA schools, and that I don't believe it's true that Santa Ana has little crime compared to Irvine. (I even acknowledged that there are some good schools in Santa Ana like Greenville.)

If you know of any other comments I've made, please enlighten me.

I think I might have to stop arguing with you soon. It's not impacting my life in a positive way.[/quote]

My former wife behaved just like you.

My daughter speaks fluent Spanish and have many Mexican friends. I don't think you understand the dynamic of this city. When did I say the word terrific because that is not my choice word at all. I would not go on to another epic chapter regarding homeless and prostitution.

I don't just cross their path and ignore. I won't go into detail regarding their lives.

I do my best to help regardless of whether I am being watched by other. You can call me a hypocrite but my heart is at the right place and I put my daughter and my community best interest at heart.

You have to understand family safety come first. Santa Ana is not known for safety. When helping others you don't send your kids in harms way. Yes Santa Ana children needs our help but at the same time rape, gun and stabbing are the problem inside the schools and along the school boundary. Would you let your mission dictate the welfare of your family?

There is a social and family responsibility. The two have to be balance.

I crossed path with people like you many times and it made me sick. Before you make another remark check whether you have done your part in helping our world a better place.

I am not perfect and least I am trying help the few that I can afford with time and money that I saved by not contributing to the greedy developer [/quote]

I thought you said you worked for the greedy developer and helped design the Disneyland-like neighborhoods you seem so critical of.

Can you see I am now repenting my sin in Santa Ana for contributing to expansion of Hell for you.

I know I am the most idolized person here and I can see why are so many questions to inquire my business success and don't care for a place that you salivate for but having to scrape every pennies to buy or asking for parents or inlaws for a handout.
I know you are facinated regarding how I have beat the system with good timing and strategy.

While you pee ons have to go to work and stealing your bosses time to post here I going to enjoy my morning nap.

I just love this for having such a big fan club.

Keep up with the questions may be you can just get lucky and pick up some wisdom sheeple.

I also forgot to mention that it took me three years to realize how genuine, authentic, and real BKshopr really is. Your current wife is very lucky. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

[quote author="graceomalley"]Can you see I am now repenting my sin in Santa Ana for contributing to expansion of Hell for you.

I know I am the most idolized person here and I can see why are so many questions to inquire my business success and don't care for a place that you salivate for but having to scrape every pennies to buy or asking for parents or inlaws for a handout.
I know you are facinated regarding how I have beat the system with good timing and strategy.

While you pee ons have to go to work and stealing your bosses time to post here I going to enjoy my morning nap.

I just love this for having such a big fan club.

Keep up with the questions may be you can just get lucky and pick up some wisdom sheeple.[/quote]

It sounds like Grace has PMS

[quote author="locolocal"]

I am not perfect and least I am trying help the few that I can afford with time and money that I saved by not contributing to the greedy developer [/quote]

I thought you said you worked for the greedy developer and helped design the Disneyland-like neighborhoods you seem so critical of.[/quote]

He is bitter because they fired him and now he sits unemployed living rent free in his grandmother's shack in Santa Ana, daydreaming of Irvine while posting on these forums.

Yes, those "comebacks" towards BK are quite the witty ones. They are so relevant and backed with such experience and education. Keep going as you people seem to be on a roll.

Back