Low Income Housing in Irvine

[quote author="graceomalley"]Affordable housing does tarnish the image of a community. It is very obvious in VOC's reputation. Residents and prospective homebuyers keep their criticisms in their heart rather than talking about it. It is not a politically correct thing to say.

The Irvine Company is aware of its impact and hid its location from all site exhibits and PR materials. You really have to try hard to dig up the info. A majority of the buyers and neighbors don't even know about it. The construction operation would be well hidden and takes a separate entrance point. It will be well screened and heavily landscaped along its edges. [/quote]

Sorry, Grace, I have to disagree. However, as someone who has seen many affordable developments, in and outside of Irvine, I can see why you might think this. Because Irvine is a fairly young communitiy, most of the housing stock, affordable or otherwise, is all pretty similar since it was all built around the same time as the surrounding units. In older communities, say Santa Ana or Anaheim, the affordable developments are always far nicer than their surrounding communities.

Also, why should the neighbors have a right to know where the affordable units are? If they look the same as everything else around them, and the residents are just as engaged in the local community, it's no one else's business what their status is. I grew up with friends and family who thought it quite uncouth to ask one's income status. How is it that where someone lives gives carte blanche to ignore this basic conversational etiquette?

I've run into many people who assume that some deadbeat in their neighborhood must be in an "affordable" unit. Since I know where many of the local affordable units are, I usually find that these people just ended up with a crappy market rate neighbor. Unfortunately, the idea of "affordable housing" just gets a bad rap whenever it is politically expedient to make it so.

Furthermore, because of the stringent residency restrictions required by the many government loans that these developments require to "pencil out", the notion that residents of these communities are somehow the local deadbeats is just plain wrong. The best that most private landlords can do is a credit check. The intake managers for affordable communities have to have applicants fill out applications that detail every aspect of their lives for years back that include far more than financial status (criminal history, use of public benefits, documented occupation history, child care situation, and much more). Any market rate renter/potential homeowner would probably be offended to be asked the kinds of information that affordable residents have to give up for the privilege of having a decent place to live.

And, usually because of their low income status, these residents have a huge incentive not to tick off either the neighbors or the property managers. To do so usually means an almost immediate instigation of eviction proceedings - something many private landlords have difficulty with, since they simply want to keep their unit occupied, and typically can't afford the lost revenue from an eviction proceeding.

Low income housing definitely has a big negative impact on the community. Otherwise, why
people pay $800k to buy in Irvine in the first place? Just to get away from shabby neighbors.

From the news, I heard that new community in Irvine is required to have 15% low income housing.
That is the reason I decide to buy in WB, which is much lower. I am worried that political correctness may kill Irvine sooner or later.

Grace thinks that the only reason why Irvine has maintained higher property values is because Asians (mainly the Chinese) have moved in to make the schools more competitive. If competitiveness is determined solely on the basis of test scores, I guess she is right. No one group knows how to circle a bubble and follow the leader - I think Grace would agree on the last point - than people who grew up under a communist regime. This does not mean the schools are better. In fact, I would argue it makes them worse because students are no longer able to think outside of the bubble.

What does this have to do with low income housing? Not much. It just saddens me that the area where I grew up has become so elitist.

[quote author="wbbuyer"]Low income housing definitely has a big negative impact on the community. Otherwise, why
people pay $800k to buy in Irvine in the first place? Just to get away from shabby neighbors.

[/quote]

WBbuyer, I call BS.

Back in the day, probably before you were born, people moved to Irvine because it was affordable and accessible. They could not afford Newport Beach, Villa Park or Yorba Linda. Back in the '80s and early '90s Irvine wasn't known for its schools or its exclusivity. Even with a majority white student body, Irvine became one of he best school districts in the state.

I didn't get any taste of discrimination towards the lower economically situated folks from Panda's question. I think it's a fair question as this is the sub category covering real estate in Irvine. I appreciate graceomalley and passingthrough's comments. They are insightful. I personally have no problem with affordable housing. I'd have the same expectation of them as I would anyone who lived in the neighborhood. I also have no issues with housing such as the Village of Hope homeless shelter in Tustin so long as the patrons of the shelter respect the area and neighborhood.

locolocal,
Can't make your argument more logical? Are you inferring most white students are from low
income families? Or most residents in 80s are? Can you kindly tell me why Irvine and Santa
Ana are so different?

Irvine is a desirable because there is only 5% low income housing till now. Irvine city goverment is forced to hike it to 10%. The city is trying all it can to stop it (including law suite), but failed due to a political correct state govement

[quote author="wbbuyer"]locolocal,
Can't make your argument more logical? Are you inferring most white students are from low
income families? [/quote]

Sorry, I am just talking off the top of my head.

I was just thinking back to my childhood in the '80s where the majority of my classmates were white and still Irvine had some of the top schools in the state.

If you think Irvine does not have an elitist attitude then you are wrong. Take you for example who currently live in Santa Ana but wanting to move to Irvine. Your action does not match your voice.

I moved from Irvine to Santa Ana and I do see many charity organizations in the city. I could not find charity organizations and homeless shelter while I lived in Irvine for over 15 years. Except of course for those private fundraisers where there are photographers present for magazine publication. Not even a trauma hospital for Christ sake when the population has already exceeded 200,000.

How many of you really drive west of the 55 fwy to see how the poor live except when you are inside an ambulance for a one way trip? There has to be a business motive $$$$ for Irvine. Have you seen the latest UCI proposal to raise more $$$?

Irvine is excellent for a lot of things but humanitarian focus is dead last on priority. The affordable housing was imposed on to the city after the city tried to overturn the ruling and resisted it for over a decade.

Wake up and look at the mirror and stop taking the credit for welcoming the low income families.

[quote author="graceomalley"]If you think Irvine does not have an elitist attitude then you are wrong. Take you for example who currently live in Santa Ana but wanting to move to Irvine. Your action does not match your voice.

I moved from Irvine to Santa Ana and I do see many charity organizations in the city. I could not find charity organizations and homeless shelter while I lived in Irvine for over 15 years. Except of course for those private fundraisers where there are photographers present for magazine publication. Not even a trauma hospital for Christ sake when the population has already exceeded 200,000.

How many of you really drive west of the 55 fwy to see how the poor live except when you are inside an ambulance for a one way trip? There has to be a business motive $$$$ for Irvine. Have you seen the latest UCI proposal to raise more $$$?

Irvine is excellent for a lot of things but humanitarian focus is dead last on priority. The affordable housing was imposed on to the city after the city tried to overturn the ruling and resisted it for over a decade.

Wake up and look at the mirror and stop taking the credit for welcoming the low income families.
[/quote]

Per my previous posts, the city has not been fighting their housing element allocations. The only reason their community development department decided to pursue an appeal of this period's allocation is because SCAG incorrectly assumed that because there was a lot of available land, ALL of Orange County's affordable housing allocation could go there. I think any of the regular's here with a background in urban planning could tell you that that scenario is so ridiculous on so many levels, it almost seems silly to have suggested such a plan. Unfortunately, SCAG, and by extension the state of CA said okie dokie.

I think the city was completely in the right to fight. I'm quite saddened that other jurisdictions will get to skate for the next 5 years or so because of the state's complete misunderstanding of basic land use policy.

"How many of you really drive west of the 55?"

What do you mean by this? I don't own a GPS so west to me means anything near the ocean.

"I do see many charity organizations in the city"

I guess you never took a look at the city website. http://www.cityofirvine.org/services/charitable_organizations.asp

Not to mention that I'm sure all high school students these days are forcibly required to be charitable if they want to be admitted to any kind of decent university.

income families? Or most residents in 80s are? Can you kindly tell me why Irvine and Santa
Ana are so different?

Irvine is a desirable because there is only 5% low income housing till now. Irvine city goverment is forced to hike it to 10%. The city is trying all it can to stop it (including law suite), but failed due to a political correct state govement[/quote]

Regardless of how you feel about the "political correctness" of housing element law, it is the state law and has been so for several decades. Cities and counties are expected to comply with the law. And, no, the city is not trying to stop all affordable housing. It simply feels that the outrageously large allocation (20,000+ units over a 5-8 year period) is simply impossible and unfair. On both points the city is completely correct.

[quote author="graceomalley"]If you think Irvine does not have an elitist attitude then you are wrong. Take you for example who currently live in Santa Ana but wanting to move to Irvine. Your action does not match your voice.

[/quote]

It's not surprising that you find many non-profits in Santa Ana - it's the county seat (hence the center of local and in some cases state funding sources), and is the largest city in the county (by population). Also, Santa Ana is one of the most densely populated urban areas in the country, hence many social service organizations realize the dire need for services there.

I regularly work with county homeless service providers, and Irvine has quite a few. While Irvine city could do more to assist the low income residents in it's community, I think they make a far greater and more consistent effort to be collaborative with service providers, rather than fighting them as Santa Ana does.

[quote author="passingthrough"]
Ana are so different?

Irvine is a desirable because there is only 5% low income housing till now. Irvine city goverment is forced to hike it to 10%. The city is trying all it can to stop it (including law suite), but failed due to a political correct state govement[/quote]

Regardless of how you feel about the "political correctness" of housing element law, it is the state law and has been so for several decades. Cities and counties are expected to comply with the law. And, no, the city is not trying to stop all affordable housing. It simply feels that the outrageously large allocation (20,000+ units over a 5-8 year period) is simply impossible and unfair. On both points the city is completely correct.[/quote]

Why wouldn't it be unfair when Irvine's population is over 200,000 and 10% of that is 20,000 units. Irvine is lucky to be able to discreetly using IAC to suppliment some of the quota.

20,000+ units over a 5-8 year period - WOW! are you serious? that number is outrageous!

[quote author="locolocal"]"How many of you really drive west of the 55?"

What do you mean by this? I don't own a GPS so west to me means anything near the ocean.

"I do see many charity organizations in the city"

I guess you never took a look at the city website. http://www.cityofirvine.org/services/charitable_organizations.asp

Not to mention that I'm sure all high school students these days are forcibly required to be charitable if they want to be admitted to any kind of decent university.

[/quote]

Then why are there many addresses listed outside the city like Santa Ana and Tustin. Any homeless shelters?

Students have to be forced?

[quote author="Panda "]20,000+ units over a 5-8 year period - WOW! are you serious? that number is outrageous![/quote]

What made Santa Ana a ghetto are the Taquerias not the low income families who will be moving to irvine fron Santa Ana.
RE prices will not be affected.

[/quote]

I really don't understand how you can call Irvine elitist and sing the praises of Santa Ana for helping the poor, etc, while you live in one of the most exclusive neighborhoods in Santa Ana and would not consider sending your daughter to the local public school. Instead you use your expansive real estate portfolio, as well as complicated enrollment guidelines involving some sort of science team, so your daughter does not have to go to school with all those icky Santa Ana kids. Hypocritical. In my opinion.

[quote author="graceomalley"]
[quote author="Panda "]20,000+ units over a 5-8 year period - WOW! are you serious? that number is outrageous![/quote]

What made Santa Ana a ghetto are the Taquerias not the low income families who will be moving to irvine fron Santa Ana.
RE prices will not be affected.[/quote]

Can you expand on this, how taquerias made Santa Ana ghetto?

[/quote]

Grace take a chill pill.

During your time in Irvine it sounds like you never got out much.
There are numerous charitable organizations in Irvine (http://www.cityofirvine.org/services/charitable_organizations.asp#international), including many churches that especially focus on outreach to the homeless/low income. In fact, some of the organizations you see helping out the destitute of Santa Ana are from Irvine and other OC cities.

I am not sure why you keep bagging on Irvine for not having a trauma center. There are many California cities with populations greater than 200K without a trauma center--Anaheim, San Bernardino, Huntington Beach, Fremont, Modesto, Glendale, Stockton, Chula Vista... It is not the sine qua non of a great city.

Both Santa Ana and Irvine have their pluses and minuses. Apparently both have articulate loyalists on TI. Let's just be grateful we live in this great country, where we have freedom to choose where we want to live and can have open discussions like this.

[quote author="passingthrough"]
Ana are so different?

Regardless of how you feel about the "political correctness" of housing element law, it is the state law and has been so for several decades. Cities and counties are expected to comply with the law. And, no, the city is not trying to stop all affordable housing. It simply feels that the outrageously large allocation (20,000+ units over a 5-8 year period) is simply impossible and unfair. On both points the city is completely correct.[/quote]

To add to PassingThrough's point, even other OC cities back Irvine's position that SCAG's affordable housing allocation is unfair. http://www.ocregister.com/news/housing-132775-irvine-scag.html

Back