Looks like the IPO family are going to be renters...

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1213099792]I don't get the whole stigma of renting... We have two renters on our block and when we met each of them, they both demurely told us, "we're just renting." And, we had a condo renter who likes to walk her dog down here because it's "nicer" introduce herself with the caveat that she is "just renting." Between the tone of their voice and the way they say it under breath tells you that they embarrassed to be "renters." I never felt that renting, perhaps because we were building quite the savings, but still I don't get why Americans feel like second class citizens renting.

IPO, your rental sounds so nice and just perfect for you and your family. I expect that you will enjoy it. Now, tell me how Mrs. IPO talked you into lavendar in the bath. I can't get my hubby to let me have my way with earthy greens. Our living room is now a pastel hue and I hate it, he loves it and that was a compromise. I thought that by default I had final say in these things, but I think I need some tips from Mrs. IPO on how to sell hubby on what works and what doesn't.</blockquote>

Currently, when someone tells you they are just renting, they are not embarrassed. It is false humility and they are actually bragging and letting you know they are smarter than all the home debtors.

Ipo, I don't want to go back through this whole thread....but I thought IR2 had a buyer on the hook for you already ! What am I missing ?

Oh, and I thought you all would enjoy this.....

<object width="325" height="250"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/youtube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="325" height="250"></embed></object>

Or perhaps this one is more appropriate..... considering the jabs being thrown around about "rainbow" jeans and Laguna Pride.

<object width="325" height="250"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/youtube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="325" height="250"></embed></object>

[quote author="Trooper" date=1213109025]Ipo, I don't want to go back through this whole thread....but I thought IR2 had a buyer on the hook for you already ! What am I missing ?</blockquote>

Her place fell out of escrow, so she may or may not be a buyer for me down the line. Considering whether to sell to her got Ms. IPO into a renting frame of mind so going with an open market sale was just a little bigger step...

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1213094233]Why chance the most important purchase of your entire life by not getting a professional design assessment?</blockquote></blockquote>

IR2 - Is that something you could write in as a contingency? "Subject to usual inspection and successful design assessment review by Buyer's design consultant."

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1213086843][quote author="tenmagnet" date=1213066483]

To honor his decision,

I bought Ipop his very own pair of TR jeans with the rainbow on the back pockets.

Believe me, it was impossible to find a pair of size 42s.

I had to special order them.

Your worth it Ipop.

In the future, please take up jogging and lower your carb in-take.</blockquote>

Ten-Man, you speak the truth. IPOp has become fat, dumb, and happy. I DO need less carbs and I DO need more cardio. 42s ain't that far off! I remember my lean-mean single years when my fighting weight was a buck ninety or so and I was able to rock the 34s. I was doing three miles a day on the mill in 20 minutes back then and hitting the weights after that for thirty minutes... Wish I had that kind of time or/and discipline now.

</blockquote>

You know I?ve got nothing but love for you Ipop.

Disregard that stuff, it spilled over here from another thread.

Pure in heart and mind, the body will follow.

Keep believing in yourself, upping the stakes, and make it happen.

See you in the linens section at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

After that we?ll hit Loemanns next door.

[quote author="awgee" date=1213099984][quote author="stepping_up" date=1213099792]I don't get the whole stigma of renting... We have two renters on our block and when we met each of them, they both demurely told us, "we're just renting." And, we had a condo renter who likes to walk her dog down here because it's "nicer" introduce herself with the caveat that she is "just renting." Between the tone of their voice and the way they say it under breath tells you that they embarrassed to be "renters." I never felt that renting, perhaps because we were building quite the savings, but still I don't get why Americans feel like second class citizens renting.

IPO, your rental sounds so nice and just perfect for you and your family. I expect that you will enjoy it. Now, tell me how Mrs. IPO talked you into lavendar in the bath. I can't get my hubby to let me have my way with earthy greens. Our living room is now a pastel hue and I hate it, he loves it and that was a compromise. I thought that by default I had final say in these things, but I think I need some tips from Mrs. IPO on how to sell hubby on what works and what doesn't.</blockquote>

Currently, when someone tells you they are just renting, they are not embarrassed. It is false humility and they are actually bragging and letting you know they are smarter than all the home debtors.</blockquote>

In the IHB circle, yes, but you smart ones are a mere microcosm of the rest of society :)

Real conversation with in laws two years ago:

FIL: You know, they have no down payment loans now

US: We have downpayment, houses are just way over priced

FIL: What about these interest only loans?

US: How do we pay for the other half of the principal that we can't afford?

FIL: You can refinance

US: How do we pay for the other half of the principal that we can't afford?

FIL: What about a condo?

US: The sacrifice isn't worth a condo. Where would the tomatoes go?

He was serious, dead serious because he felt that we weren't living the American dream. For him, he couldn't get his head around the fact that the American dream was dead during that period. FIL is not a dumb man, did very well, but was just in denial that his kids couldn't afford a home. Ownership is very much a part of the American DNA, so much so that you had otherwise intelligent people signing these creative loan docs with blinders on.

I agree with you wholeheartidly. People tell me everyday, "why don't you buy a house, you have enough....". They just don't seem to understand that purchaing a depreciating asset is not a good thing. And the tax burden, equity burn burden and just pain mortgage burden is HUGE.

The only people who really get me are the other engineers, scientists, mathematicians when you show them the REAL numbers of ownership. It gets ugly quickly. So choosing the lesser of two evils is still not fun, but to me that people look down on you for "not taking a risk".

oh well,

-bix

Troop,

It is my honor to be given the opportunity to feng shui you!

[quote author="Trooper" date=1213110625]<em>"Top 10 posters only" </em>

bk, you are going to have to travel to Palm Springs to feng shui me..... ok ? ;-)</blockquote>

I may have to extend my complimentary design consultation to the 11th top poster because Reason is really a "place holder". I have to put a legal disclaimer for Lawyerliz that my limit of travel distance is measured from Troop's rear yard fence line in Palm Spring to OC.

[quote author="zovall" date=1213098107][quote author="bkshopr" date=1213094233]Sorry! Top 10 posters only so keep on postings. </blockquote>

<a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/member/memberlist/">http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/member/memberlist/</a></blockquote>

Congrats on making the move to renting. Speaking from experience you have at least three wonderful experiences in your near future.

(1) Receiving an enormous check converting you previously ephemeral equity into cold-hard-cash.

(2) Signing a lease on a rental twice as big as your old place for roughly the same cost as owning (ignoring tax benefits).

(3) Repeating the reassuring phrase "Don't worry a rental" every time one of your kids spills something on the carpet (that may be my personal favorite).

Well, the IPO family is now living the rental life. I just got the internet going at the new place... No TV yet though. Need to get those babies hooked up.

Spent all my waking hours over the last three days packing, moving, and prepping my place for sale. Ole IR2 was there with me for many many hours, his mini-roller and paint tray in hand. My condo should hit MLS on Thursday or Friday if all goes well with carpet cleaning, staging, over the next couple of days etc. It'll be nice to get back to the office and rest for a few days at work!

[quote author="Daedalus" date=1214922029]Cool! Who's catering on Wednesday? ;)</blockquote>

IR2 and I already have a covert plan to steal the best food from the previews. Think of it as a Vegas like buffet at Ipo's house. We figure where all the food is will bring all the hungry Realturds to see and sell the home. That, and it will probably bring some pissed off ones too, once they figure out where their food went. We will be selling copies of <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Moved-Cheese-Amazing-Deal-Change/dp/0399144463/">Who Moved My Cheese</a> too, and all proceeds will go to IR1's down payment tip jar fund.

I have never been to one of these Wednesday's affairs but have always wanted to. I'll be looking out for IPO's home on IR2's list to take advantage of the goodies and to meet IR2.

Note to IR2: please highlight IPO's listing.

111 Waterman sold in 2 days which I believe is your neighbor. 81 Sapphire in 1 week+. Buyers are still hungry for a house that they get attached to and find physically appealing. Best of luck :D

IPO --- Been traveling a lot and not keeping up with IHB as much, so I'm late to the party --- but want to offer my belated congratulations on your decision. Very wise and one I am sure you will not regret. Not to mention that your story was a great one to relay to my wife in support of staying put in our rental for yet another year. Even though our lease is not up until December 31, I've already got her set to sign up for 2009. Thanks! ;)

Don't forget to send out invitations to your first party in that big backyard!

<em>"Not to mention that your story was a great one to relay to my wife in support of staying put in our rental for yet another year". </em>

"See, see honey ?! Everyone's doing it !"

I think we should all go to the open house just to get a look at IR2 (and sign in as Skek).

[quote author="Trooper" date=1215005358]<em>"Not to mention that your story was a great one to relay to my wife in support of staying put in our rental for yet another year". </em>

"See, see honey ?! Everyone's doing it !"

I think we should all go to the open house just to get a look at IR2 (and sign in as Skek).</blockquote>

Damn you! You were not supposed to tell them! We were supposed to just hang around for hours, eat the food, and ask obnoxious questions, like... "Do you have any gold buried in the backyard? Cuz I do." "Did you do the work in the bathroom yourself? Cuz your caulking work is crap." "Who did the sod work in the backyard? It looks like you got your Realtor drunk here and had him do it." "Do you like pandas?" "Is that an IHB t-shirt in the closet?" And, to cap it off... "You know... IrvineRenter would not approve of the 250 multiple, and BK's feng shui gauge would break, how does that make you feel?"

Back