Looking for advice to find a good realtor

sleepy5136 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
MountainsToSea said:
daedalus said:
MountainsToSea said:
I just wish posters here wouldn't viciously attack posters when they are just expressing their opinion. 
An opinion is fine.  I just don't think someone's reputation should be bashed in public based entirely on hearsay.

Seems USC is a victim of his own success.  2 newbies register in the past month just to spend most of their words whining about how much he didn't do for them as non-clients of his (if I was the admin I would be curious enough to compare their IPs).  These posters weren't directly part of any conversation with USC, yet are 100% no-doubts certain about what was and wasn't communicated.  Where did we put that snowflake thread?

I've been a long time lurker of this site, I just decided to join a couple of days ago to join before reading what IrvineNative1995 posted.  I jumped in with my own post only after I saw someone getting attacked by a pack of wolves just for sharing their experience.  If I knew everyone here would act like a bunch of high school kids defending their vile clique, I would have never joined.  My experience is 100% genuine, you can check IP's all you want, I have no relation to IrvineNative1995.  I posted my experience to show that IrvineNative1995's post wasn't necessarily out of left field. I have nothing against USC, I love his insights and analysis he brings to this board.  I even said I would consider hiring him if I needed an agent.  I thought this board was about having free discussions with varying opinions so we could all learn from each other, not a place where you are bullied because you have a different point of view.

TI has a reputation for being a bit snarky to new members... as would any forum with regulars.

I wouldn't see it as "attacked by a pack of wolves" but more like questioning the validity of the claim based on the evidence presented.

You are welcome to voice your opinions and concerns but in cases like these, I tend to look at the parties involved and their comments to determine what happened.

Considering there is at least one other party, the OP's realtor that has not chimed in, not sure we can really be sure of what actually took place.

I can see how people can be annoyed by that. Like who are they? Just because someone is new, it means their opinions aren't valid? And to the person that even had the audacity to say "check the IPs" like dude....you think people have that much time to waste? Instead of going straight with an attack and questioning someone's experience, why not listen to both sides of the story before questioning them?

Well said, IMHO.

I actually ended up rushing to work with an agent in order to go see some of few listings. However, I regret working with the agent as she doesn't seem to know much about the neighborhood such as asphalt factory issue near OH and the communication is not very clear. Since we've only seen a few houses and didn't sign any contract, I'd like to change to different agent. I wonder if this is frowned upon to change the realtor.

Also, I visited model homes for new homes with the agent. In this case, should I work with her if I want to purchase the home? I believe this is true for reselling homes but not so sure about the new homes.

poguruwer said:
I actually ended up rushing to work with an agent in order to go see some of few listings. However, I regret working with the agent as she doesn't seem to know much about the neighborhood such as asphalt factory issue near OH and the communication is not very clear. Since we've only seen a few houses and didn't sign any contract, I'd like to change to different agent. I wonder if this is frowned upon to change the realtor.

Also, I visited model homes for new homes with the agent. In this case, should I work with her if I want to purchase the home? I believe this is true for reselling homes but not so sure about the new homes.

It's totally fine to change agents midcourse because sometimes you discuss that the right working chemistry isn't there which is not uncommon.  So you can begin working with another agent to see homes anytime you want.  As for the new homes, most of the builders have a rule that once you sign in with a particular agent you are tied to them (i.e. you won't be able to bring in another agent and sign in with them because the rule is that you are tied to the agent that you sign in on your first physical visit to the sales office).  There are a few builders that will allow you to register with a few agents after the broker registration expires (usually 90-120 days). 

poguruwer said:

As long as you didn?t sign any agreement that requires you to go with that agent then you should be fine switching agents anytime you want

sleepy5136 said:
poguruwer said:

As long as you didn?t sign any agreement that requires you to go with that agent then you should be fine switching agents anytime you want

Yes, a buyer should NEVER sign a buyer representation agreement with a buyer's agent so if things don't work out you can move on to a new agent.

USCTrojanCPA said:
sleepy5136 said:
poguruwer said:

Yes, a buyer should NEVER sign a buyer representation agreement with a buyer's agent so if things don't work out you can move on to a new agent.

Agreed, but I do think in the case of the homes you already visited with the agent they should be entitled to some of the commission as they put in the work. Feel free to move on to another agent to look at other homes though.

qwerty said:
If agents want guaranteed pay they should get paid by the houses shown and not get a commission.

Knowing these money hungry realtors, they would show you every house they could regardless of what you were looking for.

irvinenative1995 said:
eyephone said:
DBtoOC said:
irvinenative1995 said:
We actually had a horrible experience with USC.. He wasn't representing us.. But we went to tour a property that he had posted on this site (he was representing seller), we put in an offer over asking, and never received a response and then promptly found the property for rent the same day. I understand that people can change their minds about selling, but our agent called multiple times to see what the status was on our offer and was completely ghosted. She said she had never had such an unprofessional experience with another agent!

You lost me at "He wasn't representing us". 

Maybe your agent dropped the ball and put the blame on the convenient "I was ghosted" excuse.  Is that possible?

A review is a review. It seems like a real review from a person that made an actual offer.

Thank you for this. The review wasn't intended to be a personal attack. It was simply a review about my experience with USC. It obviously is out of character for the agent to not be super professional and pleasant to work with, but that was my experience. And no, we have not found a home yet.

Look, since the movie theatres and concert venues are closed, I need to get my entertainment somewhere.  Please tell your realtor to sign up on TI and then we can get to the bottom of this negative review.  I promise I won't bite .........hard.

zubs said:
irvinenative1995 said:
eyephone said:
DBtoOC said:
irvinenative1995 said:
We actually had a horrible experience with USC.. He wasn't representing us.. But we went to tour a property that he had posted on this site (he was representing seller), we put in an offer over asking, and never received a response and then promptly found the property for rent the same day. I understand that people can change their minds about selling, but our agent called multiple times to see what the status was on our offer and was completely ghosted. She said she had never had such an unprofessional experience with another agent!

You lost me at "He wasn't representing us". 

Maybe your agent dropped the ball and put the blame on the convenient "I was ghosted" excuse.  Is that possible?

A review is a review. It seems like a real review from a person that made an actual offer.

Thank you for this. The review wasn't intended to be a personal attack. It was simply a review about my experience with USC. It obviously is out of character for the agent to not be super professional and pleasant to work with, but that was my experience. And no, we have not found a home yet.

Look, since the movie theatres and concert venues are closed, I need to get my entertainment somewhere.  Please tell your realtor to sign up on TI and then we can get to the bottom of this negative review.  I promise I won't bite .........hard.

Zubs, be nice....don't scare the newbies off.  haha

Jarule046 said:
Nice thread, good input MrCPA. I'm back on this forum to raise my knowledge after restarting my real estate career.

Happy to help. Good luck on getting things restarted.

Back