Looking for advice to find a good realtor

zubs said:
2008 was when I first started reading USC posts.  So for 13 years we've been on this public board interacting.
In the early years he would post about accounting and real estate to help people understand the numbers.

The real estate thing was a side hustle that became full time as more and more readers used his services.

I don't think he planned to be a realtor, but that is how it happened.
He's actually a certified accountant from USC.

And that is your super hero origins story martin....

Ahhh yes, the good old Irvine Housing Blog days...the memories. haha  But yes, if someone would have told me 15 years ago that I would be a full-time realtor I would have laughed at them and asked what they were smoking given that I spent so much time and money on my education and career.  However, sometimes you find your passion and calling later in life and I couldn't be any happier being a realtor helping people with their real estate needed.  I enjoy analyzing and posting about it on the forums because I love real estate (my dad fueled by having to work with him doing construction in my high school summers).

Everyone is free to have their own political agenda. It's perfectly normal to get along with someone who has a different political opinion than mine... unless the other person doesn't want to get along.

Anyways, I think USC does give a good rebate according to his posts. And he keeps pretty clean on political opinions here. Does that make him a good realtor?

Mety said:
Everyone is free to have their own political agenda. It's perfectly normal to get along with someone who has a different political opinion than mine... unless the other person doesn't want to get along.

Anyways, I think USC does give a good rebate according to his posts. And he keeps pretty clean on political opinions here. Does that make him a good realtor?

Everyone is free to have a political agenda correct. But when buying a house, car, etc. not that many people want to deal with it. (Just sell me the house and car.)

I had a similar experience as IrvineNative1995 with USC as well.  Several years ago I put in an offer on a house he was listing through my agent.  I was suppose to get a counter offer instead got nothing.  My agent called him back and USC told him the house was sold.  Take it for what it is worth but considering my experience, IrvineNative1995's story doesn't seem unbelievable to me.  TBH, most realtors are pretty bad and USC could be one of the better realtors IDK. He seems fantastic on this board.  If I needed a realtor, there is a good chance I would consider him.  With that said, he isn't infallible and this forum shouldn't attack posters just because they don't think he's God.

For those considering any Realtor for their listing side...

We have a recently up for market home on our street. Here's the partial description of the home (my highlights) :

There is so much to love about this home! This home sits at the end of a cul-de-sac with a pool and private yard in the highly desired amazing ( Area ). This home is not only walking distance to a highly rated award blue ribbon winning school, it is newly updated, just wait until you see the updated kitchen that opens to the huge family room. The floorplan offers 3 bedroom up plus a loft which is great for a playroom, office or other. This home has an addition that has expanded the family room, and master, created not only a larger master, but 2 closets! With low taxes and HOA, this home is a must see,?..

Here's a recent USCT listing:

Located on a premium lot with no neighbors behind, this highly upgraded Terraces home is located in the desirable community of Baker Ranch and was built by Toll Brothers in 2018. Offering 5 bedrooms and 4 baths with 2,547sf of living space, the Mendocino's open-concept first-floor design with radiant natural light, expansive view windows, an appealing first-floor bedroom and an impressively deluxe outdoor living area creates a magnificent setting for limitless relaxation, both indoors and out. The large kitchen features Caeserstone countertops with tile backsplash, upgraded cabinets to the ceiling, large island with pendant lights, and SS appliances including a 42? built-in refrigerator. Second-floor loft adds a private secondary retreat just off the well-appointed master bedroom, which includes a coffered ceiling, stunning deck, a large walk-in....

Sales price is roughly the same between the two homes. One person phoned it in, another one took time to get it right.  As it's truthfully said, it's the little things that matter

Working with a professional who understands and applies this thinking to your transaction will end up being a key to success.

My .02c

MountainsToSea said:
I had a similar experience as IrvineNative1995 with USC as well.  Several years ago I put in an offer on a house he was listing through my agent.  I was suppose to get a counter offer instead got nothing.  My agent called him back and USC told him the house was sold.  Take it for what it is worth but considering my experience, IrvineNative1995's story doesn't seem unbelievable to me.  TBH, most realtors are pretty bad and USC could be one of the better realtors IDK. He seems fantastic on this board.  If I needed a realtor, there is a good chance I would consider him.  With that said, he isn't infallible and this forum shouldn't attack posters just because they don't think he's God.

I'll admit when I'm not perfect and sometimes I miss getting back to all agents who submitted an offer on my clients when there are multiple offers on my listings.  However, when the agents follow up (like your agent did) I respond and let them know what happened (either the seller decided to move forward with another offer or only counter the top buyers).  I definitely don't "ghost" realtors who follow up with me on their offers but I don't like when I get crickets after I submit an offer for my buyers.

Soylent Green Is People said:
For those considering any Realtor for their listing side...

We have a recently up for market home on our street. Here's the partial description of the home (my highlights) :

There is so much to love about this home! This home sits at the end of a cul-de-sac with a pool and private yard in the highly desired amazing ( Area ). This home is not only walking distance to a highly rated award blue ribbon winning school, it is newly updated, just wait until you see the updated kitchen that opens to the huge family room. The floorplan offers 3 bedroom up plus a loft which is great for a playroom, office or other. This home has an addition that has expanded the family room, and master, created not only a larger master, but 2 closets! With low taxes and HOA, this home is a must see,?..

Did it come with a grainy cell phone picture taken from the car while driving by on the street?  Remember those?  I don't see the cell phone pics from the car anymore, but I do occasionally see listings with maybe 4 pictures all taken from outside the home, along with an equally shoddy description like above.  I can't fathom anyone putting that little effort into something that results in a $25-50k commission.

When we sold our one of our early homes, I took the pictures on my cheap digital Pentax camera... and staged it myself... and I didn't get a rebate. :(

USCTrojanCPA said:
MountainsToSea said:

I'll admit when I'm not perfect and sometimes I miss getting back to all agents who submitted an offer on my clients when there are multiple offers on my listings.  However, when the agents follow up (like your agent did) I respond and let them know what happened (either the seller decided to move forward with another offer or only counter the top buyers).  I definitely don't "ghost" realtors who follow up with me on their offers but I don't like when I get crickets after I submit an offer for my buyers.

I'm sure you were looking out for the best interest of your client at the time.  When you're on the other side of it, though, it can feel like you're being disrespected instead of it being an oversight.  You seem like one of the better realtors out there with loads of knowledge based on your postings here.  From my experience most realtors are pretty bad so it's nice seeing there a few good ones like you.  I just wish posters here wouldn't viciously attack posters when they are just expressing their opinion. 

MountainsToSea said:
I just wish posters here wouldn't viciously attack posters when they are just expressing their opinion. 
An opinion is fine.  I just don't think someone's reputation should be bashed in public based entirely on hearsay.

Seems USC is a victim of his own success.  2 newbies register in the past month just to spend most of their words whining about how much he didn't do for them as non-clients of his (if I was the admin I would be curious enough to compare their IPs).  These posters weren't directly part of any conversation with USC, yet are 100% no-doubts certain about what was and wasn't communicated.  Where did we put that snowflake thread?

daedalus said:
MountainsToSea said:
I just wish posters here wouldn't viciously attack posters when they are just expressing their opinion. 
An opinion is fine.  I just don't think someone's reputation should be bashed in public based entirely on hearsay.

Seems USC is a victim of his own success.  2 newbies register in the past month just to spend most of their words whining about how much he didn't do for them as non-clients of his (if I was the admin I would be curious enough to compare their IPs).  These posters weren't directly part of any conversation with USC, yet are 100% no-doubts certain about what was and wasn't communicated.  Where did we put that snowflake thread?

I've been a long time lurker of this site, I just decided to join a couple of days ago to join before reading what IrvineNative1995 posted.  I jumped in with my own post only after I saw someone getting attacked by a pack of wolves just for sharing their experience.  If I knew everyone here would act like a bunch of high school kids defending their vile clique, I would have never joined.  My experience is 100% genuine, you can check IP's all you want, I have no relation to IrvineNative1995.  I posted my experience to show that IrvineNative1995's post wasn't necessarily out of left field. I have nothing against USC, I love his insights and analysis he brings to this board.  I even said I would consider hiring him if I needed an agent.  I thought this board was about having free discussions with varying opinions so we could all learn from each other, not a place where you are bullied because you have a different point of view.

Tarnishing a realtor's reputation because he (maybe) didn't return a phone call is ridiculous. You didn't get the house. Move on.

MountainsToSea said:
daedalus said:
MountainsToSea said:

I've been a long time lurker of this site, I just decided to join a couple of days ago to join before reading what IrvineNative1995 posted.  I jumped in with my own post only after I saw someone getting attacked by a pack of wolves just for sharing their experience.  If I knew everyone here would act like a bunch of high school kids defending their vile clique, I would have never joined.  My experience is 100% genuine, you can check IP's all you want, I have no relation to IrvineNative1995.  I posted my experience to show that IrvineNative1995's post wasn't necessarily out of left field. I have nothing against USC, I love his insights and analysis he brings to this board.  I even said I would consider hiring him if I needed an agent.  I thought this board was about having free discussions with varying opinions so we could all learn from each other, not a place where you are bullied because you have a different point of view.

TI has a reputation for being a bit snarky to new members... as would any forum with regulars.

I wouldn't see it as "attacked by a pack of wolves" but more like questioning the validity of the claim based on the evidence presented.

You are welcome to voice your opinions and concerns but in cases like these, I tend to look at the parties involved and their comments to determine what happened.

Considering there is at least one other party, the OP's realtor that has not chimed in, not sure we can really be sure of what actually took place.

irvinehomeowner said:
MountainsToSea said:
daedalus said:
MountainsToSea said:

TI has a reputation for being a bit snarky to new members... as would any forum with regulars.

I wouldn't see it as "attacked by a pack of wolves" but more like questioning the validity of the claim based on the evidence presented.

You are welcome to voice your opinions and concerns but in cases like these, I tend to look at the parties involved and their comments to determine what happened.

Considering there is at least one other party, the OP's realtor that has not chimed in, not sure we can really be sure of what actually took place.

I can see how people can be annoyed by that. Like who are they? Just because someone is new, it means their opinions aren't valid? And to the person that even had the audacity to say "check the IPs" like dude....you think people have that much time to waste? Instead of going straight with an attack and questioning someone's experience, why not listen to both sides of the story before questioning them?

Obvious by now in general a good realtor puts your interest before all other considerations. The secondary considerations like knowledge and responsiveness and are great of course. A person you get along with is ideal.

I?ve spoken at length with a lot of realtors and all those on here. I can say my favorite and top recommendation, based on their knowledge base, (and not just knowing what I can read myself online like most of them here), and just being a great guy to speak with at any hour of the day for any reason is Dr CA Real Estate, aka Kris. Loves to help for the sake of helping. Always a pleasure.

Back