Listings that pique my interest... feedback?

Patrick J. Star said:
ps99472 said:
Hey leave my Avalon out of this...

And sorry if my response came off as harsh, but I hope you see my point.  To clarify why it got under my skin --- we have very good friends that live in CG.  They have a beautiful home on a great street with great neighbors.  It feels like a classic suburban neighborhood. They are anything but depressed.  We visit them often, and love their situation.  Seconds to Costco, seconds to DJ, seconds to the Marketplace, seconds to the 405 or the 5.  And as close to South Coast Plaza as you can get in Irvine. Sure, things have dropped there like everywhere.  Hell, my own house has dropped since just 2010.  But that's a paper loss.  It's fine to have preferences on one community or another, but let's not broad brush any entire neighborhood as "depressed".

yeah this is my favorite irvine location, it seems like we are at always at the District for costco or target and at the marketplace. my wife seems to be at southcoast every weekend as well. and commuting to the jobs south of the 405 is a breeze from here. the MR is my main issue with this area. the trash facility, power lines, etc. dont bother me. i dont want to live past 60-65 anyway.

homer_simpson said:
I love biking around the neighborhood in the CG communities, it does really feel like a classic suburban neighborhood. 

My wife and I really were really close on pulling the trigger on this home as she fell in love with the layout of the home and especially the courtyard.  But 3,000 SqFt for a married couple with no kids is overkill, maybe one day  :)
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Tustin/15507-Bonsai-Way-92782/home/7202483

I?m not very familiar with this area but it seems like you get a lot of house for the money.

Patrick J. Star said:
ps99472 said:
Hey leave my Avalon out of this...

And sorry if my response came off as harsh, but I hope you see my point.  To clarify why it got under my skin --- we have very good friends that live in CG.  They have a beautiful home on a great street with great neighbors.  It feels like a classic suburban neighborhood. They are anything but depressed.  We visit them often, and love their situation.  Seconds to Costco, seconds to DJ, seconds to the Marketplace, seconds to the 405 or the 5.  And as close to South Coast Plaza as you can get in Irvine. Sure, things have dropped there like everywhere.  Hell, my own house has dropped since just 2010.  But that's a paper loss.  It's fine to have preferences on one community or another, but let's not broad brush any entire neighborhood as "depressed".
Actually... I think I'm going to side with PS9 here... Columbus Grove/Square home prices have seem to have taken a larger hit than TIC hoods. I have a comps list for this neighborhood and it looks like many of the same models are closer 30%+ off... some near 40%.

I remember an article from IrvineSingleMom about this area where owners were protesting because the builder was cutting prices on subsequent phases so it was already losing money before the area was even built out.

Recent closes for Alexandria models have been as low as $825k... considering these sold for $1.2mil that's one of the steepest cuts I've seen. I'm not sure I've seen a number of the larger Rosemoors or Villa Rosas (same builder, similar floorplan) in Woodbury close for that low.

And I'm sure it's a fine area to live in and if people can afford their mortgages and huge MRs (really really big con for that area... MRs are almost double similar areas built in that time frame), that's great, but just like people can point to the density of Woodbury and the dump/toll road of Portola Springs, Columbus Grove, while close to The District and Diamond Jamboree... also has its own cons for the location.

I don't think it can be argued that CG has taken one of the biggest hits since the bubble began for a hood zoned to Irvine Unified. Not even a fleet of Chindian buyers with cash coming out of their woks could save CG. High taxes, Tustin address, and lax lending killed this development.

That being said, CG has a more varied architecture style than any of the TIC hoods from that time (or now). That is a big plus. It's also close to everything you would want to visit in the slums north of the 405 (Costco, District, Marketplace, Diamond Jamboree).

WoodburyDad said:
homer_simpson said:
I love biking around the neighborhood in the CG communities, it does really feel like a classic suburban neighborhood. 

My wife and I really were really close on pulling the trigger on this home as she fell in love with the layout of the home and especially the courtyard.  But 3,000 SqFt for a married couple with no kids is overkill, maybe one day  :)

I?m not very familiar with this area but it seems like you get a lot of house for the money.

You really do... I also love the designs of the homes here.  Each home has their different charms and style which makes it look a little more unique then the normal homes you see in Irvine. 

But like what Qwerty said, the MR is killer.  :-\

Patrick J. Star said:
homer_simpson said:

I love those homes.  What a great deal.

TIC Trolls:  This is what is commonly known as "curb appeal".  I know you all are really sharp with your focus groups and all, but you could learn something from the lowly designers at Columbus Grove

P762999_0.jpg
Careful what you ask for... those are rear alley access homes... so no driveways... TIC has lots of that similar style product in their 'hoods.

True story: When these homes were being built, the ones that were being sold had their garages open during the day so we tested it by driving the mini-van in through the alley and trying to park in the garage. Have you ever felt claustrophobic in your own vehicle? After that, we never looked at those models again. Personal preference of course... but it was scary.

irvinehomeowner said:
Careful what you ask for... those are rear alley access homes... so no driveways... TIC has lots of that similar style product in their 'hoods.

True story: When these homes were being built, the ones that were being sold had their garages open during the day so we tested it by driving the mini-van in through the alley and trying to park in the garage. Have you ever felt claustrophobic in your own vehicle? After that, we never looked at those models again. Personal preference of course... but it was scary.

wrong.  many of these do have driveways.

P762999_7_0.jpg

Yeah they have rear driveways.  I HEARD that you can't park your car overnight on the driveway unless you have two other vehicles occupying the garage.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Where is the rear yard to this alley load products?

I do like the products there. they are much stronger than TIC products. TIC however has superior packaging to make the inferior products appear nicer. By the time buyers moved in and realize that then it is too late.

They have the rear yard to the right in that picture of the rear.  They also have a decent sized court yard in towards the center of the home.  It's pretty cool as there are windows in the formal living room, hallway, dining room, and great room that gives you a nice view of the courtyard.  Same goes upstairs with the rooms/hallway.

rkp said:
wrong.  many of these do have driveways.

P762999_7_0.jpg
Many? Did you check the overhead map for that area? I think it's closer to few than many.

And regardless... even with driveways... you're back to a motorcourt feel and a compressed backyard (more like a sideyard).

The proper way to do this is to separate the garage and the house with a rear yard at the middle. Then it would take up too much land. I know I know I know land is expensive.

irvinehomeshopper said:
The proper way to do this is to separate the garage and the house with a rear yard at the middle. Then it would take up too much land. I know I know I know land is expensive.

Isn't that how Augusta Plan 1 is setup? I remember seeing a rear yard separating the garage from the home, but it was a covered walkway to go in between.

I would prefer Augusta over what the photo depicts. I would easily give up the driveway and use the space in the rear yard. I then would use the no mans land next to the garage to make it into a 3rd stall in the garage.

I haven't seen Augusta models except in pictures, but I feel like for the price you get a lot of home compared to any TIC development. I think the big thing keeping chindians away is the Tustin address, and the somewhat poor schools zoned to the area.

IndieDev said:
I haven't seen Augusta models except in pictures, but I feel like for the price you get a lot of home compared to any TIC development. I think the big thing keeping chindians away is the Tustin address, and the somewhat poor schools zoned to the area.
And the MRs... they are like bizarro Lambert Ranch.

Back