Las Ventanas by Taylor Morrison at Portola Springs

So how is LV doing since all the iPac ones are getting price cuts?

I haven't been to the tract in over a month so I'm wondering how these look and if people should be moving in soon (I remember them saying move-ins would start in July).

Have the prices dropped for LV at all?

irvinehomeowner said:

I haven't been to the tract in over a month so I'm wondering how these look and if people should be moving in soon (I remember them saying move-ins would start in July).

That's a good question.  I'll be in the area this weekend so I'll drop by and see how they are doing.  I have one buyer who is buying a phase 1 home and they'll be closing next month. 

irvinehomeowner said:

Colour me uninformed, but which ones went down?  Quick check on their website says they haven't gone down yet.

Nous said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Colour me uninformed, but which ones went down?  Quick check on their website says they haven't gone down yet.
I think they just reduced the prices of the Laguna Altura homes.

I visited over the weekend, didnt ask about the next phases but did get an update on phase 2 move in, the updated move in are looking at late sept or early oct... They look like they are moving along quite nicely.

If you had the opportunity to choose between LV with the few Sevilla homes that have a driveway and backyard, which one would you choose? HOAs are higher with Sevilla because they are zoned as Detached condos while LV are true SFRs with a higher price tag. Also, we might take into account the cost to landscape/hardscape the front yard in LV.

Nous said:
irvinehomeowner said:
SFR every single time.
Why?
If it's the same location and similar square footage and features:

1. Ownership of land
2. Perceived resale value
3. Lower HOA fees (usually)
4. Easier to resell for certain loan programs (SFRs usually qualify for more)
5. Ability to expand or modify floorplan (HOA dependent)

But I do recognize some advantages for condos:

1. Lower exterior maintenance
2. Depending on HOA, don't have to worry about paint, roof or other repairs
3. Usually lower price

kubert13 said:
If you had the opportunity to choose between LV with the few Sevilla homes that have a driveway and backyard, which one would you choose? HOAs are higher with Sevilla because they are zoned as Detached condos while LV are true SFRs with a higher price tag. Also, we might take into account the cost to landscape/hardscape the front yard in LV.

I really like both, but for those prime lots, I think Sevilla is a better value.  People keep bringing up the second HOA as some huge dealbreaker, but the cost to landscape the front of a LV home will cover years worth of second HOA payments.  The same goes for SFR vs condo zoning, I feel like it's all just emotional response.  What your house is zoned as doesn't change how functional it is.  If you buy one of the Sevilla homes that has a driveway and yard, it might as well be a "true" SFR for your daily life.  Shouldn't this housing crash have taught us by now that houses are places to LIVE first, and investments (if you can even call an asset that performs that badly an investment) second.  Worry about the features that change how much you will enjoy living there, not "perceived resale value" or zoning. 

At the end of the day, both builders seem to be of good quality, so go with whatever feels more comfortable to you.  I like plan 3 Sevilla and plan 2 Las Ventanas.  I lean towards Sevilla because I think the floor plan is better, and it will be considerably less expensive.  At the end of the day, I think I would be happy in either, though. 

I will say that the sales staff at LV are the nicest people I have found on my entire home search, the antithesis of the pushy Irvine Company staff I have dealt with.

uciguy said:
kubert13 said:

I really like both, but for those prime lots, I think Sevilla is a better value.  People keep bringing up the second HOA as some huge dealbreaker, but the cost to landscape the front of a LV home will cover years worth of second HOA payments.  The same goes for SFR vs condo zoning, I feel like it's all just emotional response.  What your house is zoned as doesn't change how functional it is.  If you buy one of the Sevilla homes that has a driveway and yard, it might as well be a "true" SFR for your daily life.  Shouldn't this housing crash have taught us by now that houses are places to LIVE first, and investments (if you can even call an asset that performs that badly an investment) second.  Worry about the features that change how much you will enjoy living there, not "perceived resale value" or zoning. 

At the end of the day, both builders seem to be of good quality, so go with whatever feels more comfortable to you.  I like plan 3 Sevilla and plan 2 Las Ventanas.  I lean towards Sevilla because I think the floor plan is better, and it will be considerably less expensive.  At the end of the day, I think I would be happy in either, though. 

I will say that the sales staff at LV are the nicest people I have found on my entire home search, the antithesis of the pushy Irvine Company staff I have dealt with.

You also have a lower MR at Sevilla if I remember correctly.  However condo type vs SFR does have an impact on interest rate (for us non-FCB).  I would worry a little more about being close to Portola Parkway than the 241 also.  Portola is the only road in and out of PS and will likely pick up in traffic over time.

I agree with you on which plans are best at the places as well.  I haven't seen the insides of the standard LV, but Sevilla's interior were hideous in my opinion (for the actual unit, not the models).

Aren't there premiums on the Sevillas with driveways? Not sure if a $40k difference is enough for me between a condo and an SFR.

Back