Las Ventanas by Taylor Morrison at Portola Springs

firsttimer said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Got an email this afternoon from Taylor Morrison....it had a special coupon to pass along to my buyers for a $1k credit towards closing costs if they sign their purchase agreement by June 30th.

Is this in addition to the $2500 they are already offering for using their lender?
Yes

$2,500 lender credit.
$1,000 new lender credit
$xx Broker co-op.

Does this spell slow sales, or smart marketing by the builder?

My .02c

sgip said:
$2,500 lender credit.
$1,000 new lender credit
$xx Broker co-op.

My .02c

It spells being underneath a freeway.  You think these bonuses will stay for the future phases?

sgip said:
$2,500 lender credit.
$1,000 new lender credit
$xx Broker co-op.

My .02c
My guess is all of the above.  These guys know things aren't as good as they were in 2010 and want to sell the homes as soon as possible.

How can Casero even compete with Las Ventanas?

Sure, the southern enclave can probably tout location, but the Casero units in the northern enclave will have the same toll road proximity issue.

irvinehomeowner said:
How can Casero even compete with Las Ventanas?

Sure, the southern enclave can probably tout location, but the Casero units in the northern enclave will have the same toll road proximity issue.
Don't forget about Sevilla either. 

irvinehomeowner said:
At least Sevilla is a bit cheaper.

But both of them have double HOAs right? While LV only has the one PS master HOA.
Yeah, the double HOAs are like $120-$150 per month more than the single HOA at Las Ventanas.  Dollar for dollar, I would rather have a higher Mello Roos than a higher HOA.  Besides, you don't get a driveway at either Sevilla or Casero which is a dealbreaker for me.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Dollar for dollar, I would rather have a higher Mello Roos than a higher HOA.

hmm... i always thought the other way around... time for another poll!

*read that too quick... i thought you meant you'd rather have a house that had higher hoa and higher mello than a lower hoa/mello (but higher priced home)

USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeowner said:
At least Sevilla is a bit cheaper.

But both of them have double HOAs right? While LV only has the one PS master HOA.
Yeah, the double HOAs are like $120-$150 per month more than the single HOA at Las Ventanas.  Dollar for dollar, I would rather have a higher Mello Roos than a higher HOA.  Besides, you don't get a driveway at either Sevilla or Casero which is a dealbreaker for me.

I think two phases, first and last, of Sevilla have driveways for certain lots.  I really like Sevilla, but the location is terrible.

One of my buyers got a call from the sales folks over at Las Ventanas.  Looks like they have sold 5 of the Phase 1 homes and they will be selling the Phase 3 homes (skipped the homes in Phase 2 - ones in blue on the site plan).  Not much of a price increase.

jyeh74 said:
HOA is decent at $160/month.
But I am amazed at the melloroos.  It is the highest I have seen.  Total is $5066/year.  Even compared to the other Portola Springs communities, like Sevilla ($3726/yr) and Casero ($4,103/yr) and Primrose ($4143/yr)

Wow, so even if I pay cash for this house I'm looking at about the following monthly out of pocket:
1) Assume $700k purchase price ~ 1% property tax = $583/mo
2) Mello Roos at $5,066 annually = $422/mo
3) HOA = $160/mo
---------------------------------
Total = $1,165/mo after the house is paid off...

yikes.

aquabliss said:
jyeh74 said:
But I am amazed at the melloroos.  It is the highest I have seen.  Total is $5066/year.  Even compared to the other Portola Springs communities, like Sevilla ($3726/yr) and Casero ($4,103/yr) and Primrose ($4143/yr)

Wow, so even if I pay cash for this house I'm looking at about the following monthly out of pocket:
3) HOA = $160/mo

yikes.
You'd still have to pay $583/mo even if there was no HOA or Mello Roos.  The $582/mo for HOA and Mello Roos is the equivalent of having a mortgage of a little over $100k.

so if you want any kind of decent backyard you should stay away from lots 63-86 as well as most lots along Ranchland, using their computer to see the lot details these will all have about 10-11 feet backyards. the only lots where you will get some decent sized yards are the odd shaped lots along Portola and Arrowhead. Also, lots 1-5, which appear to have decent sized back yards, about 27 ft deep, that is pretty good size back yard for irvine, however, that is the closest location to the 133

Add $1165 to $2963.57 (30year fixed 4.875% on 80% loan value) = $4128.57/month

Yikes is right.

aquabliss said:
jyeh74 said:

3) HOA = $160/mo

yikes.

Lots of people at Las Ventanas models today.

Regardless of the proximity to the toll road and the location factor of Portola Springs, these will sell at their current price points. They seem have raised them about $10k skipping from Phase 1 to Phase 3 (not sure why that happened) so if they continue to do so, they will find themselves slowing down as they will overprice themselves.

As people have posted in other threads, the Plans 1 and 2 are actually done quite well for their size and room counts. The master bedroom and bath are small (as is the master closet) but the secondary rooms are actually okay if you compare them to the detached condo products running at the same prices. The downstairs rooms are small but are okay for the size of the home (and price).

The Plan 3 upstairs is excellent as also noted by others, the big "foyer" type space between the two bedrooms is nice (esp with the Elevation A balcony option) and the walk-in closet is huge for the room closest to the bathroom. The laundry is actually pretty spacious (Plan 2's is ridiculously large) and the loft+tech area is ideal for families like us who want an upstairs living space and additional homework/computer areas. The master in Plan 3 seemed the smallest and the downstairs has poor flow as you walk between the TV and the couches and can't even see the TV wall from the kitchen. Seems to be small amount of wasted space between the island and sliding doors to the backyard.

Wish they did pantries (even if just small closet type ones) in these kitchens, but they do have lots of counter space and cabinets. It's good that in Plan 2, they are moving the microwave/oven from where the garage door is to next to the refrigerator as that makes more sense.

As for lot sizes, all I can say is these are still better than detached condos on motorcourts. From what I see, if they do the sidewalks with berms of grass, the curb appeal is much better and even with small back and sideyards, that's still more than many of the other new homes in this price range.

Even with a $50k premium, iPac should have built homes like these in Stonegate or Woodbury, wouldn't you guys buy them if they were priced from $675k to $750k? Even if higher, these are better (in my opinion) than Montecito Plans 2 and 3.

LV should sell at a decent pace, this is probably the best value in Irvine right now. But it it is kind of sad what 700K + 5K in MR a year gets you in Irvine.  The house itself is fine, i just wish they would at least give you a 20 ft backyard as the standard yard vs the 10ft yard.

irvinehomeowner said:
Even with a $50k premium, iPac should have built homes like these in Stonegate or Woodbury, wouldn't you guys buy them if they were priced from $675k to $750k? Even if higher, these are better (in my opinion) than Montecito Plans 2 and 3.

I agree. The price point seem pretty good for what you get. I don't think TIC/Irvine Pacific is about to match the price/feature of these homes anytime soon. Why bother when they can sell a similar home for $100K more on a postage size lot in Stongegate.

I'm sure folks would be flocking to Maricopa if they lowered their prices by $100K--we can only dream of Plan1 (2300sqft) ~$700K, Plan2 (2600sqft)~$780K, Plan3 (3000sqft) ~ $880K.

Back