Las Ventanas by Taylor Morrison at Portola Springs

I walked through a bunch of production lots. The back of house is literally 6' from the block wall and I could see 5 different neighbors' windows from there. What is the point of even a rear yard when there is absolutely no privacy. Even a prison cell gets more privacy than that.

irvinehomeshopper said:
I walked through a bunch of production lots. The back of house is literally 6' from the block wall and I could see 5 different neighbors' windows from there. What is the point of even a rear yard when there is absolutely no privacy. Even a prison cell gets more privacy than that.

Six feet?  That's a walkway.  What do you do with it? 

Nothing smacks of a special kind of luxury like utilizing every single inch of possible square footage.  And finally, as you invite your guests into the backyard for some quiet conversation (don't want the neighbors to hear!), they will know Irvine is the place.  Except if they are over 200 lbs.  No room for that guy in the backyard. - Pat Star

shadax said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

i went into one of the backyards on one of the homes that was empty that backs up to Ranchland. I can vouch that the yard was not 6 feet. It was small, but closer to 10ft. If it was 6 ft from the back of the house to the fence i would have been able to touch the fence and wall at the same time. From the side of the house to the fence between the neighbors is 5 ft.

qwerty said:
shadax said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

i went into one of the backyards on one of the homes that was empty that backs up to Ranchland. I can vouch that the yard was not 6 feet. It was small, but closer to 10ft. If it was 6 ft from the back of the house to the fence i would have been able to touch the fence and wall at the same time. From the side of the house to the fence between the neighbors is 5 ft.
Well... we should be familiar with IHS' covert-trolls by now.

Isn't there a minimum setback for the backyards of SFRs? I know a guy named BK mentioned the 5ft sideyard minimum... I guess that could apply to the back too but I think builders use 10ft (or 8ft?).

It's still small... but that's just not Las Ventanas... that's almost every new home in Irvine or where land is scarce.

qwerty: How deep are the backyards over at Whisler Ridge?

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
shadax said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

Isn't there a minimum setback for the backyards of SFRs? I know a guy named BK mentioned the 5ft sideyard minimum... I guess that could apply to the back too but I think builders use 10ft (or 8ft?).

It's still small... but that's just not Las Ventanas... that's almost every new home in Irvine or where land is scarce.

The LV backyards were 10ft. I remember the sales lady mentioned one time as well that the smallest backyard at LV was 10ft (a lot of them have 10 ft backyards).

At whisler ridge the smallest backyard is 15ft deep, with the majority ranging from 15-20ft. In lake forest for a home to qualify as a true SFR there has to be at least 15ft from the back of the house to the fence.

qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
shadax said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

The LV backyards were 10ft. I remember the sales lady mentioned one time as well that the smallest backyard at LV was 10ft (a lot of them have 10 ft backyards).

At whisler ridge the smallest backyard is 15ft deep, with the majority ranging from 15-20ft. In lake forest for a home to qualify as a true SFR there has to be at least 15ft from the back of the house to the fence.

I dig Whisler Ridge Plan 1...that's an efficient 5-bedroom floorplan right there, better than LV's Plan 3 IMO due to NO shared bedrooms walls with the master.  However, the area is a bit suspect...down Ostermann just a block or two there are some ghetto apartment complexes...and due to the narrow lots, guest parking will probably be less than stellar.  But it costs less by what...$80k?, backyards are larger, no $5000/yr MR, not next to trash heap, not next to jail, not in asthma distance from freeway, etc. 

Yes the yards are 10' deep from the great room. Don't forget the rear of the homes is not flat across. The kitchen/dining on all plans does protrude further out toward the yard another 5' for plan 2 and 3 but less for plan 1 with just 12".

Hi there,

I have been following this board about LV as we have been looking to purchase there.  Appreciate everyone's input.  In trying to do some due diligence in regards to Taylor Morrison, I came across this article.  Does anyone know more about this situation and the latest update on these lawsuites against the builder?  The situation sounded awful.
http://articles.dailypilot.com/2009...oxic-mold-homeowners-construction-defect-case

Also, any insight on what to be especially aware of in Taylor Morrison's purchase contract/package?

Thanks.

Google Taylor Woodrow and Newport Coast or Parazul. That is the largest class action construction defect Lawsuit in the history of OC. Hopefully the name change to Morrison will hide the google trail.

My phase 1 buyers got several quotes for their landscaping and ended up going with the landscape company so I figured I'd share it with the other Las Ventanas owners on here:

"KS Landscape Design - Andy Kang is the main contact and he can be reached at (949) 285-5359 or ks.landscapeanddesign@gmail.com"

Could you give us the range on the estimates your buyers got for landscaping?

Also, have you heard of any buyers in this phase getting any discounts, freebies, or credits?

Just stopped by the model home office to check out what is left/selling.  I wanted to find out the lots still selling and see an actual lot to feel how a 10 ft backyard feels like from the inside (i.e. how claustrophobic am I going to be if I buy here).

Anyways, they had two staff members there.  The lady (who has been very helpful in the past) was busy but there was another guy sitting in his office.  He asked me if he can help and I told him what I wanted.  He then gave me the site plan.  I asked again what lots are still available and he said one of each plan.  I asked if I can know which specific ones are available and he finally got off his chair to come out to help me.

Then I asked to see a lot so I can get a feel of the backyard.  He said that I can just look at the site plan.  I really wanted to see the lot in person so then he showed me a more detailed site plan with measurements.  I said I really wanted to see the lot in person, then he said I can see the backyard on the detailed site plan and proceeded to tell me how many ft away the back of the house is from the wall.  I asked again if I can please see a lot in person, then he said well, you have to sign some papers and didn't look very happy about it.  I said I really wanted to see the lot... and then I thought, hmmm what is going on here.  Could it be that he is stalling because the backyard is sooo small and if I should walk in one of the vacant homes, I would actually see how dark, and how close to the wall the great room windows/sliders are going to be???

So I said, ok, I will perhaps come another time... :)

Portola92618 said:
Could you give us the range on the estimates your buyers got for landscaping?

Also, have you heard of any buyers in this phase getting any discounts, freebies, or credits?
Spoke to a few of my buyers and they are spending anywhere from about $15k-$20k on landscaping.

I was able to get one of my buyers who bought their home in the middle of construction of the home a credit of $15k to use either on upgrades and/or closing costs without having to use the in-house lender.  They decided to use the in-house lender and got another $2,500 in credits.  So there's definitely room for negotiation on the homes that are in the middle of construction or have already been built.

SunCare said:
Just stopped by the model home office to check out what is left/selling.  I wanted to find out the lots still selling and see an actual lot to feel how a 10 ft backyard feels like from the inside (i.e. how claustrophobic am I going to be if I buy here).

Anyways, they had two staff members there.  The lady (who has been very helpful in the past) was busy but there was another guy sitting in his office.  He asked me if he can help and I told him what I wanted.  He then gave me the site plan.  I asked again what lots are still available and he said one of each plan.  I asked if I can know which specific ones are available and he finally got off his chair to come out to help me.

Then I asked to see a lot so I can get a feel of the backyard.  He said that I can just look at the site plan.  I really wanted to see the lot in person so then he showed me a more detailed site plan with measurements.  I said I really wanted to see the lot in person, then he said I can see the backyard on the detailed site plan and proceeded to tell me how many ft away the back of the house is from the wall.  I asked again if I can please see a lot in person, then he said well, you have to sign some papers and didn't look very happy about it.  I said I really wanted to see the lot... and then I thought, hmmm what is going on here.  Could it be that he is stalling because the backyard is sooo small and if I should walk in one of the vacant homes, I would actually see how dark, and how close to the wall the great room windows/sliders are going to be???

Typically they don't want people to venture out onto the lots with the built homes for liabilities reasons but you can figure out which homes are completed but not sold yet and venture out into the side and backyard to sneak a peek at what it looks like without them knowing.

USCTrojanCPA said:
SunCare said:

Typically they don't want people to venture out onto the lots with the built homes for liabilities reasons but you can figure out which homes are completed but not sold yet and venture out into the side and backyard to sneak a peek at what it looks like without them knowing.

Yeah, I didn't think it was a big deal bec. the other lady staff member at their office asked me if I wanted to go see one of the vacant homes, that I can with her (but at the time I didn't have enuf time).  Maybe they are being more strict about this now??

SunCare said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
SunCare said:

Yeah, I didn't think it was a big deal bec. the other lady staff member at their office asked me if I wanted to go see one of the vacant homes, that I can with her (but at the time I didn't have enuf time).  Maybe they are being more strict about this now??
Both are nice, but the lady (Laura) is a bit nicer.  I think they just dont want people venturing out where they have construction going on.  I don't see much of an issue checking out those fully built homes that are sitting vacant.  I'm sure they'll show you them next time you head over here and don't take no for an answer.  haha

We signed paperwork and backed out  the following day. The backyard and mello Roos were the biggest issues we had with Las Ventanas.  The sfr bang for buck is the best in irvine but the MR is $5000.  The house we were getting has still not sold since early March. 26 seedling is the address.  It has nice wood flooring and good upgrades but the zero backyard compounded with MR just didn't work for us.

Back