LAN Upgrade Option for TIC Home

In general don't be cheap since you are already paying a pretty penny for your place - design/upgrade the home how you like it. (ex get the recess lighting in every room etc) I just talked to someone that bought a condo and she had lamps in her rooms because she bought it when it was already built. (I think a person fell out of escrow and she bought it) So she has to hire someone to install recess lighting/ceiling fan. (which would probably void the electrical warranty)

Tyler Durden said:
What if he wants to avoid this from happening to him?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkCNJRfSZBU[/youtube]

We are no Leeroys here.  But we have died due to lag because Mr. Zerolot used Wifi.  So we are LANning everything for our home network.  Unless it's for our cells and iPads and WiFi cameras.

Tyler Durden said:
Can i get an invite  :D

I'm average at the first person shooters, but i'm pretty good at the sports games.

We're all first person shooters or MMORPG here.  For some reason, no one plays any sports games.  Hmmm, never noticed that until now.

broda said:
Explain to me the upgrade?  are they upgrading you from CAT5 to CAT5e?  CAT6?  Or is the upgrade to even have networking installed in the house?

The upgrade is from CAT5 to CAT5e thru TIC.  I was hoping they just made a typo because CAT5 is really outdated technology.  The networking portion is TIC just throws in a router, which is nice for someone who doesn't know what a router is.

===

Thanks for all the tips guys.  Sorry for not getting back sooner.  Stuff came up.  I'll be making my decision today and will post back as soon as my design center meeting is over.  I'll ask them if CAT5e is already installed.  Also I am adding extra data ports and according to studiochateau.com it's just CAT5 ports.  I'm hoping if I do have to end up upgrading to CAT5e for and extra $1190 that at least those extra CAT5 ports also get upgraded to CAT5e too. 

1 grand is 1 grand.  I'd like to spend it elsewhere if I can.

Not worth 1000.  CAT 5 rated at 100Mbps which is still faster than any of your internet connections.  Only reason you'd need a gig connection at home is to transfer files and such.  A router, or device used to share your single internet connection you can purchase for $100 for a pretty damn decent one. 

1000ft roll of CAT 5e cable is about $160 dollars which is more cable than you'll need for your entire house.  If you want to purchase a higher quality grade cable you'll spend about $300 and I highly doubt they'd purchase the latter.  RJ-45 jacks aren't that expensive either...good quality jacks will cost you about $3-4 per jack...most likely TIC will purchase ones that are about $1-2

To stop my rambling and make a long story short...what you're getting standard is good enough for gaming on the internet.

broda said:
Not worth 1000.  CAT 5 rated at 100Mbps which is still faster than any of your internet connections.  Only reason you'd need a gig connection at home is to transfer files and such.  A router, or device used to share your single internet connection you can purchase for $100 for a pretty damn decent one. 

1000ft roll of CAT 5e cable is about $160 dollars which is more cable than you'll need for your entire house.  If you want to purchase a higher quality grade cable you'll spend about $300 and I highly doubt they'd purchase the latter.  RJ-45 jacks aren't that expensive either...good quality jacks will cost you about $3-4 per jack...most likely TIC will purchase ones that are about $1-2

To stop my rambling and make a long story short...what you're getting standard is good enough for gaming on the internet.

My plan is for the future.  There will be 4 of us fighting for LAN connection to the media server + the internet on a DAILY basis.  That is until our friends and family coming over and then that can easily double to 8 to 10 people on LAN + WiFi simultaneously.  Once the little ones starts bringing friends over, who knows how many people will be using LAN + WiFi. 

Heck, I feel like I'm building an Internet Cafe more than a house. 

@Tyler Durden - Thanks for the heads-up on the SST contact.  I will talk to them to see what they have to say too.  Might as well do after-market if I can.

In the mean-time, my super awesome Designer Center rep will call them for me to find out if its CAT 5 or CAT 5e and will get back with me at our next appointment. 

Morbo said:
nytransplant said:
Actually you can get an 8 port Netgear wired router.  you place this in the electrical outlet and then plug a wifi router into a data port in on of the other rooms (set up as a access point).  This way you can actually get a gigi bit speeds inside the house (allows for streaming videos from computer to TV) and have better wifi signal (as the signal is pretty bad from inside the closet.
Which Netgear 8 port router are you using? The only ones I've found on Amazon have all the ports on the front, and the AC power plug on the back. Seems rather unnecessary to double up the width of the router with cables sticking out from both front and back.

The only other 8 port ROUTER on Amazon is from TP-Link, which seems to have good reviews. Seems like not a lot of choice for consumer level 8 port routers.

I don't recall the model number but its a gigibit router.  And you are right about the wires.  The ports are on the front and the power plug is in the back.  However since i leave it in the electrical closet it works out fine.

Ok the question has officially been answered.  Each Irvine Pacific development is different. 

The condo one out at Stonegate got Cat 5 wiring, I believe it's called Santa Clara.

Detached condo at Marigold is getting Cat 5e as standard.  I believe Mulberry and Magnolia is also getting Cat 5E as standard as well.

If you want Cat 6 as standard, buy a new house in Yorba Linda.  8)

ZeroLot said:
Ok the question has officially been answered.  Each Irvine Pacific development is different. 

The condo one out at Stonegate got Cat 5 wiring, I believe it's called Santa Clara.

Detached condo at Marigold is getting Cat 5e as standard.  I believe Mulberry and Magnolia is also getting Cat 5E as standard as well.

Do you know about Saratoga?

songkou said:
ZeroLot said:

Do you know about Saratoga?

Sorry, I don't have any info on Saratoga.  But if you ask the Design Center, they will give you the answer.  I got Heather as the Design Center Rep.  She is amazing.  She got to the bottom of everything.

Back