LAN Upgrade Option for TIC Home

ZeroLot

I've got my Design Center appointment coming up and I'm wondering if the LAN Upgrade Option for networking is worth my while?

For those that already purchased a TIC home and didn't go with the option, how did you network your house? 

I know every room comes with a Cat5 ethernet port but where does all those ports eventually run to?  Basically where is everyone putting their modem/router to hook up networking?

I plan on having a media server in the house with every room ready to stream Netflix.  Little Zerolots LOVE Netflix and my MP4 movie files.  Mr. Zerolot loves MMORPG gaming.  So LAN is very important to me.  But is the LAN upgrade package worth it?

===

The LAN Upgrade package includes:

LAN Upgrade (Computer Network Wire Package)

Includes:

(1) DATA Line (CAT-5E), Run To All Phone Locations
    (1) 4-Port 10/100T Ethernet Router, Allows You To Network Up To 4 Computers

====

I don't care for the Ethernet Router, but is the Cat-5e & the networking worth $1,190?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

I guess the best thing would be to get prices from wiring guys to see how much it would cost after the house is built to wire each room. Which MMO's do you play?

SubSolar said:
I guess the best thing would be to get prices from wiring guys to see how much it would cost after the house is built to wire each room. Which MMO's do you play?

I was thinking about after-market, maybe even going with CAT6 after-market.  But I was concerned if I did that it would void some warranties since they would have to go into the walls to replace the wirings.  I heard it cost about $800~$1000 for a job like that for a 2000 square foot home.

Mr. Zerolot plays mostly MMO's by Blizzard.  We were into the Korean ones for a while, but not after 2 little Zerolots.

We also hope to host a few LAN parties down the road.  Got a few friends and family that wants to play some oldie games like Command & Conquer titles.

I even had to pre-wire for an arcade machine in the garage with a LAN outlet in there too because Mr. Zerolot wants one.  ::)  There's going to be some serious gaming business in our place once it's built.

I don't think you need the upgrade package, I think all the cables are already CAT5e, not even sure if anyone even makes plain CAT5 anymore.  All the lines run into a wiring closet, usually in the master walk in closet.  You just need to get a router, along with a 5 to 8 port switch, depending on how many ports you actually have in the house.  The phone jacks are CAT5e as well, and can be converted to a data jack just by unplugging one end of it in the wiring closet and plugging into your router or switch.  I have no problems doing gigabit speed backups to my NAS at home through the standard wiring.  Say you have a 4 bedroom house, with one data and one phone jack in each bedroom and in the kitchen, two data jacks in the great room and master bedroom, that's about 13 potential data jacks.  A router with a 4 port switch and an additional 8 port switch will give you 10 jacks.  Assuming you want to have a phone or two in the house, you should be good with a router and a 8 port switch (and that's not going to cost you anywhere near $1,190.00).  You don't need CAT6 for home use purposes, unless you really plan to install a 10G switch.

gaogi said:
I don't think you need the upgrade package, I think all the cables are already CAT5e, not even sure if anyone even makes plain CAT5 anymore.  All the lines run into a wiring closet, usually in the master walk in closet.  You just need to get a router, along with a 5 to 8 port switch, depending on how many ports you actually have in the house.  The phone jacks are CAT5e as well, and can be converted to a data jack just by unplugging one end of it in the wiring closet and plugging into your router or switch.  I have no problems doing gigabit speed backups to my NAS at home through the standard wiring.  Say you have a 4 bedroom house, with one data and one phone jack in each bedroom and in the kitchen, two data jacks in the great room and master bedroom, that's about 13 potential data jacks.  A router with a 4 port switch and an additional 8 port switch will give you 10 jacks.  Assuming you want to have a phone or two in the house, you should be good with a router and a 8 port switch (and that's not going to cost you anywhere near $1,190.00).  You don't need CAT6 for home use purposes, unless you really plan to install a 10G switch.

Thank you so much Gaogi!  This was so helpful.  You described the home configuration exactly as the builder has setup, "one data and one phone jack in each bedroom and in the kitchen, two data jacks in the great room and master bedroom, that's about 13 potential data jacks".  That's exactly what I'll be working with.  It's good to know they'll put the termination points all in the Master Bedroom Closet.

However I think TIC is really trying to prewire the house for CAT5. 

I have options for additional data jacks:

=====

(1) Additional Phone or Data Outlet (CAT-5)

Application Examples:  Telephone Service, Fax Machine, Computer Modem or DSL Service

Option Price: $139.00 

======

(1) Additional Dual Phone or Data Outlet (CAT-5)

Application Examples:  Designed to Handle Both Telephone Service and Computer Networking

Option Price: $238.00

=========

(1) Upgraded Universal Office Network Plate (Includes  (3) CAT-5 and (1) RG-6)

Application Examples:  Designed for Multiple Services Required at 1 Locaiton.  Telephone Service for Multiple Voice Lines Plus Fax/Modem Capabilities and Video or High-Speed Data

Option Price: $322.00 

=========

What I posted above is literally a copy and paste of what is posted on StudioChateau.com  I also checked the TIC brochure and everything reads "cat-5"

So I really do believe the new home is being built with outdated CAT5 wires.

Just took a quick look at the wiring closet, all the cable drops including the phone jack cables are labeled CATEGORY 5E on the jacket.  Couldn't get a good picture with my phone, and too lazy to go get the SLR out.

gaogi said:
Just took a quick look at the wiring closet, all the cable drops including the phone jack cables are labeled CATEGORY 5E on the jacket.  Couldn't get a good picture with my phone, and too lazy to go get the SLR out.

Maybe because you purchased a TIC SFR so they give you guys the better cable?  Mine is just a detached condo. 

Either way, I'll ask them at the design center and see what they say.  I'm hoping their website and brochures are just with outdated tech info.  It'll save me $1190. *crosses fingers*

But thank you for all your input.  It's been very helpful and I've added an extra electrical outlet in the master closet knowing I'll need it for my extra switches and other misc tech gadgets.  Thank you.

CAT6 highly unnecessary for your house.  Unless you've got a requirement to run 10 gigabits in your home it's pretty pointless.  The sound of having it is great, it's like the car salesman telling a woman her car has 300HP...when all she really cares about is having a BMW like her neighbor.

Some of you might think, well my Cox internet is super fast.  You are correct, but your internet i think if you purchase their power boost internet gives you a max download speed of 36 Mb/s.  Standard CAT 5e is 1000 Mb/s or 1Gb.  Realistically with cable being shared cross

As for the upgrade package, did they stop offering CAT5 networking throughout your house and now made it an option?  Because that would be stupid.  And if they are promoting CAT5 to CAT5e, that's just even dumber.  It wouldn't be worth $1190.

I could go in depth but long story short...don't do it.

We didn't upgrade and the Cox guy basically stated that he could only run the signal to one plug without an amp.  We use a Motorola surfboard modem and the Asus N-66 router (about $250 total).  So far, we have tried streaming two videos and a third computer for regular websurfing and no problems at all.  I do run a hardwire to the TV for Netflix streaming but I think that's better anyways.

Your limit is really the cable company....not the wiring in your house.

ZeroLot said:
gaogi said:

Maybe because you purchased a TIC SFR so they give you guys the better cable?  Mine is just a detached condo. 

Either way, I'll ask them at the design center and see what they say.  I'm hoping their website and brochures are just with outdated tech info.  It'll save me $1190. *crosses fingers*

But thank you for all your input.  It's been very helpful and I've added an extra electrical outlet in the master closet knowing I'll need it for my extra switches and other misc tech gadgets.  Thank you.

I wish I was in a SFR.  I'm in a detached condo in Stonegate...

ZeroLot said:
gaogi said:

Wait you don't get the electrical outlet in the closet standard anymore either?  WTF is IP doing now?  Nickel and diming you over this stuff?  I got two outlets...one in the closet and one inside the wiring cabinet in the closet.  If this isn't standard anymore what else are they going to charge you extra for...

Tyler Durden said:
To answer your question not all the ports are active initially, since no Wi-Fi router on the market will have more than 4 or 5 ports.  What you will need to do is get a few 8 port switches, and plug your ethernet into those.  Next, plug the switches into the back of your Wi-Fi router.

Then you will have active ethernet ports in every room of your home.  All the ports are Cat5 by default.  You have to ask for Cat6, but then its like a $200 upgrade per port.  So you may want to save that for the rooms where your hardware and main consumption are going to be.

Even if you go Cat6, you will need to ensure that you have gigabit ports on the back of your WiFi router, that your switch has gigabit ports and that you are using Cat6 cable.  Otherwise you will not get the highest speed.

Actually you can get an 8 port Netgear wired router.  you place this in the electrical outlet and then plug a wifi router into a data port in on of the other rooms (set up as a access point).  This way you can actually get a gigi bit speeds inside the house (allows for streaming videos from computer to TV) and have better wifi signal (as the signal is pretty bad from inside the closet.

nytransplant said:
Actually you can get an 8 port Netgear wired router.  you place this in the electrical outlet and then plug a wifi router into a data port in on of the other rooms (set up as a access point).  This way you can actually get a gigi bit speeds inside the house (allows for streaming videos from computer to TV) and have better wifi signal (as the signal is pretty bad from inside the closet.
Which Netgear 8 port router are you using? The only ones I've found on Amazon have all the ports on the front, and the AC power plug on the back. Seems rather unnecessary to double up the width of the router with cables sticking out from both front and back.

The only other 8 port ROUTER on Amazon is from TP-Link, which seems to have good reviews. Seems like not a lot of choice for consumer level 8 port routers.

It's only a G. Just get the upgrade package. Hard-wire is they to go if you want to stream. Unless you like the loading signal with 1-2 bars relying on your wifi from your router depending on the distance from your router. Also, you have to consider upgrading the dsl/cable/fiber optic. Especially for dsl or cable, don't get the beginner/lite plan because your Internet speed will be slow. (I'm sure you know this) I've been to some of my friends place where I see a big blue Ethernet cord running throughout the apt or house. (Gamers or only want high speed Internet for DL or upload purposes)

I got the upgrade  package. However Im waiting for my place to be built like you.

eyephone said:
It's only a G. Just get the upgrade package. Hard-wire is they to go if you want to stream. Unless you like the loading signal with 1-2 bars relying on your wifi from your router depending on the distance from your router. Also, you have to consider upgrading the dsl/cable/fiber optic. Especially for dsl or cable, don't get the beginner/lite plan because your Internet speed will be slow. (I'm sure you know this) I've been to some of my friends place where I see a big blue Ethernet cord running throughout the apt or house. (Gamers or only want high speed Internet for DL or upload purposes)

I got the upgrade  package. However Im waiting for my place to be built like you.

Explain to me the upgrade?  are they upgrading you from CAT5 to CAT5e?  CAT6?  Or is the upgrade to even have networking installed in the house?

I still don't think they would be installing CAT5.  I don't think anyone even makes CAT5 anymore, everything is at least CAT5e.  I think what the upgrade package is buying you is an extra data jack next to the phone jack, so you would have one data jack on each side of the room (phone and data jack are usually opposite sides of the room).  You can easily convert the phone jack into a data jack by moving wires around in the wiring closet.

gaogi said:
I still don't think they would be installing CAT5.  I don't think anyone even makes CAT5 anymore, everything is at least CAT5e.  I think what the upgrade package is buying you is an extra data jack next to the phone jack, so you would have one data jack on each side of the room (phone and data jack are usually opposite sides of the room).  You can easily convert the phone jack into a data jack by moving wires around in the wiring closet.

No one fully explained what the upgrade really is, so I'm curious what the $1190 gets you.

For reference,  TIC in my house gave every room 2 RJ-45 jacks.  One for data and one for the phone with the exception of the master bedroom and greatroom where I have extra ports.  Every cable in the house is CAT 5e and terminated to the master bedroom closet.  The phone jacks are terminated to a circuit board for the phone using RJ-45 connectors and I can just unplug them to use them as data ports as needed.  I don't have a home phone so essentially every room has 2 data ports in my case. 

if they aren't giving you any of this stuff, and that's what the upgrade is for, I would also consider paying for it because I have a pretty elaborate home network setup.  If it's to give you an upgrade from CAT 5 to 5e or something stupid like that, it's TIC trying to take you for all you're worth.

Tyler Durden said:
I think its cat5e, but unless you go when the home is being built its hard to tell.

SST installed the low voltage in my home.  Perhaps if you contact them, they could tell you for sure what is going into the new homes.

it's printed on the cable if you look at cables in the wiring cabinet...you should have enough slack to read it.

gaogi said:
That's true to use the phone jack, however in many cases the position of the phone jack is in not in an ideal location. (like by the side of the bed or not in the area where you want it) So you would have to get a long blue or black Ethernet cord in the room. :p

Back