Laguna Altura in 2011

Also, about $800-$900 per year of the LV MR goes away in 7-8 years.  Gotta get all the details on the MR bonds to know what the real cost is.

Trojon what do you mean by that I do not fully understand this statement :) Thanks!

Chitown said:
Also, about $800-$900 per year of the LV MR goes away in 7-8 years.  Gotta get all the details on the MR bonds to know what the real cost is.

Trojon what do you mean by that I do not fully understand this statement :) Thanks!
Well, you have to get the break down of each MR bond and then you can find out when it is set to expire.  Not all MR bonds are created equally.  You can get the detail about each MR bond and find out when it matures.

rimrattler6 said:
I live in Aliso Viejo now (looking in Irvine right now)..
Hey rimrattler6, welcome to TI.

Just curious... why are you looking in Irvine? I know why I live here but am always wondering why people who live in somewhere like South County are looking to buy in Irvine (if you don't mind).

And... uh... does your screen name mean you can dunk the rock?

USCTrojanCPA said:
Chitown said:

Well, you have to get the break down of each MR bond and then you can find out when it is set to expire.  Not all MR bonds are created equally.  You can get the detail about each MR bond and find out when it matures.

USCTrojan, you probably have already posted this somewhere else, but do you have a link for where I can find info on Mello Roos for the neighborhood I just bought into?

irvinehomeowner said:
rimrattler6 said:

Just curious... why are you looking in Irvine? I know why I live here but am always wondering why people who live in somewhere like South County are looking to buy in Irvine (if you don't mind).

Thanks!  I was a long time lurker on TI, but a first-time poster. =)

I suppose I'm looking for a new home and Aliso's new homes are well..bad to say the least. Glenwood...i can't believe they are asking the prices they are. I know Shea is a decent homebuilder, but come now, they do realize we are in a recession right? Plus, not a good sign when there are so many homes for resale. With all the new home villages in Irvine and the resale value, I find Irvine appealing. The actual VALUE for the irvine homes are debatable. I'm also considering Yorba Linda, which bang for buck, is better (IMO) than Irvine. Sure Irvine has great schools, but so does Yorba Linda. I find their API (i think that's the rating scale) scores neglible. There are certainly top-tier schools in YL. I have no kids and they aren't in the plan for 8-10 years + 5-6 years to be elementary school ready, schools aren't that big of a deal, however; like I said, YL and Irvine are great school districts. So that aside, it is very hard for me to justify paying MR which in turn, is paying for my future neighbor's kids to go to school.

All in all, it's just one of two areas I'm looking in, although I have not yet eliminated all of south county (ladera ranch has some good short sales and I wish there were more mariposa homes (i liked them)..I think they only have 2-3 left, but was told that a new development is coming in that area soon!

Sorry for the long-winded answer. I like Irvine and I prefer new construction, so naturally, Irvine was in contention. As the days go by, it's slipping below YL for the reasons above.

Btw, I wish I could dunk, but yeah, rimrattler was the name of a now, out of business, basketball apparel company when I was in H.S. I did play varsity basketball and still pretty deadly from distance.  ;)

I am agreement about Glenwood... Shea thinks they are the TIC of South County with that pricing.

YL is too far and too hot for me... I even think Tustin Ranch is too hot.

So is it basically new construction and resale value? I can understand both... although "resale value" is sort of a perception-based concept but comparatively makes sense.

Glad to see you posting here.

rimrattler6 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
rimrattler6 said:

Thanks!  I was a long time lurker on TI, but a first-time poster. =)

I suppose I'm looking for a new home and Aliso's new homes are well..bad to say the least. Glenwood...i can't believe they are asking the prices they are. I know Shea is a decent homebuilder, but come now, they do realize we are in a recession right? Plus, not a good sign when there are so many homes for resale. With all the new home villages in Irvine and the resale value, I find Irvine appealing. The actual VALUE for the irvine homes are debatable. I'm also considering Yorba Linda, which bang for buck, is better (IMO) than Irvine. Sure Irvine has great schools, but so does Yorba Linda. I find their API (i think that's the rating scale) scores neglible. There are certainly top-tier schools in YL. I have no kids and they aren't in the plan for 8-10 years + 5-6 years to be elementary school ready, schools aren't that big of a deal, however; like I said, YL and Irvine are great school districts. So that aside, it is very hard for me to justify paying MR which in turn, is paying for my future neighbor's kids to go to school.

All in all, it's just one of two areas I'm looking in, although I have not yet eliminated all of south county (ladera ranch has some good short sales and I wish there were more mariposa homes (i liked them)..I think they only have 2-3 left, but was told that a new development is coming in that area soon!

Sorry for the long-winded answer. I like Irvine and I prefer new construction, so naturally, Irvine was in contention. As the days go by, it's slipping below YL for the reasons above.

Btw, I wish I could dunk, but yeah, rimrattler was the name of a now, out of business, basketball apparel company when I was in H.S. I did play varsity basketball and still pretty deadly from distance.  ;)

Yeah, this is exactly how I feel about the area too.  AV homes are over valued by a lot.  Irvine is a bit better but the prices need to float down some as you can get relatively the same product for 200k less in Ladera.  YL is far, but all in all the best buy right now I think.  Though for work I'd rather just wait out Irvine prices as I work in AV.

Makes sense. For me, my job is in Brea and we'll be moving to Pomona in 2 years..our HQ which i visit 1-2x week is in Rosemead and I frequently travel the San Bernardino area so Yorba Linda makes it convenient to get to all of those locations and I get to stay in the OC and have great schools! Surprisingly though, AV can get warm too!

kubert13 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Chitown said:

USCTrojan, you probably have already posted this somewhere else, but do you have a link for where I can find info on Mello Roos for the neighborhood I just bought into?
If you bought into a new home, check with the sales office.  If you bought a re-sale home, go to the OC Tax Collector's website link and put in the address  ---->  http://tax.ocgov.com/tcweb/search_page.asp  Then go view the detail property tax bill, you'll see the Mello Roos bonds with a phone number by them.  Call that number to get all the information.

kubert13 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Chitown said:

Las Ventanas MR with Maturity Dates:

District 86-1: $822  2019
District 09-01: $878 2059

Big One
District 04-20: $3045 2030

65 Modena just popped up on the MLS.  It's a Cortona plan 3 for $1,069,013.  Same broker commission of 22500.  Please...lets not create a stampede to the sales office.

NoSoup4U said:
65 Modena just popped up on the MLS.  It's a Cortona plan 3 for $1,069,013.  Same broker commission of 22500.  Please...lets not create a stampede to the sales office.
I'll be sure to hold my buyers back.  haha

Comparing to Quail Hill, the Cortona and Toscana homes may be okay pricing, although they lack the views.

The detached condos aren't as good because I think the detached condos at QH have better floorplans and are priced lower.

TIC must be really hurting on LagAlt.

They are pulling the school card emphasizing how it's zoned to Uni High. All their ads have the Uni High momument sign on them... the emails and today's Sunday paper... hilarious.

irvinehomeowner said:
TIC must be really hurting on LagAlt.

They are pulling the school card emphasizing how it's zoned to Uni High. All their ads have the Uni High momument sign on them... the emails and today's Sunday paper... hilarious.

It's going to take more than Uni High to save this place. They should drop their prices and/or up their incentives to start clearing out inventory sooner than later.

Or tear down a few houses and make a nice grand entrance.  How hard is to have some green space and maybe a water feature as you enter. 

Or tear down a few houses and make a nice grand entrance.  How hard is to have some green space and maybe a water feature as you enter.

Do you really think this will make things move. I am not very sure. It might help a bit but not move things IMO.

I think there is also a huge credit tightening taking place. I think the banks on the other side when it comes to qualifying for loans. Also China did the same thing on credit which has reduced their buying power in Irvine. I think for the 2010 collection the FCB used to lead the way for the homes. This is not the case anymore.

If the detached condos had better (or at least different) floor plans and were cheaper... they would sell better.

The biggest homes (Toscana?) need 3-car garages and Cortona needs to be priced lower.

Speaking of LA, does has anyone seen news on the conforming loan limit changes that are supposed to be coming up?  I imagine with as bad off as the area is now it'll only get worse once that comes through.  Are the low end LA selling well, or is it just the higher priced tracts that are hurting?

irvinehomeowner, 3CG for Toscana might not be a feasible option at this stage so does that mean price reduction in your opinion? Also Cortona is moving better but I agree probably a price reduction will really accelerate things up.

also, what do you think of rkp suggestion about improving the entrance?

Nous, not sure some are doing "better" than others. But I would say over all they are all hurting!

Back