Laguna Altura homes

Patrick J. Star said:
IndieDev said:
It is going to be West L.A except 10x less cool and hip.

It is going to be like the 626 --- but 10x less cool and hip with 10x worse food options that are 10x more expensive and 100x less fun.  Can you see either of these videos being filmed rolling around a Laguna Altura or Stonegate motorcourt?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n3HQ9uge0g[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mTkM4Iwo3I[/youtube]

626 destroys 949 when it comes to asian food.

Also, "No ones acting phony, except on our taxes, it's cash only!"

Shout out to A&J's, and Q-Noodle House baby!

FCBs not affiliated with a blog site lack insight on LA. The homes are getting absorbed do not mean that they are good. The biggest fatal investment decision among mainland buyers is behaving like herd and getting persuaded by their RE middle man.

Chinese FCB is real; I put the Mandarin link as below (they have English option):http://www.visas.to/cn/myhome/5912/

They convert sq ft into sq meters, and price into RMB, and also emphasize the ownership of these properties is forever (I think in China the land deed is not permanent).

Simple 3 minute Google-fu got me this. This is a real estate company who is specializing in foreign home purchases and immigration. Laguna Altura and Ritz-Carlton Hotel in downtown LA are the only two places advertised in the US.

irvinehomeshopper said:
FCBs not affiliated with a blog site lack insight on LA. The homes are getting absorbed do not mean that they are good. The biggest fatal investment decision among mainland buyers is behaving like herd and getting persuaded by their RE middle man.

If they are paying all cash, I am sure they can hold on to the property in the worse of times. The only thing they have to worry about is the carrying-cost, like property taxes and HOA fees.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Nice try there. Laguna is closer to the 405 and 133 than the apartment so the statement sure be reverse. LA is the buffer for the apartments.

Looking at the map, traffic from the 405 affects the Siena tract of Laguna Altura more so than the other tracts. It's no wonder, Cortona  is selling better in this community even though it cost $250K+ more. Besides that, in Cortona, you get real single family detached homes without motorcourt driveways. I would definitely buy a Cortona or Toscana, but NOT a Siena or San Remo.

irvinehomeowner said:
No such thing as an FCB... at least that's what I was told in 2008.

Are you sure? I'll be one of them very soon, perhaps middle of next month if my finances are ready, but I'm not a foreigner though. ;)

Despite my hatred toward LA, I tend to agree buying Cortona and Toscana is not as bad as the other 2 ghetto projects. Compared to other FCB hotbeds (see the link I provided earlier) in Vancouver and Toronto, Cortona and Toscana are such a bargain for Chinese FCBs (cheaper and detached true SFRs with driveway) so I expect them to hold value pretty well. Just make sure you can communicate basic Mandarin with your neighbors.

socalquest said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Nice try there. Laguna is closer to the 405 and 133 than the apartment so the statement sure be reverse. LA is the buffer for the apartments.

Looking at the map, traffic from the 405 affects the Siena tract of Laguna Altura more so than the other tracts. It's no wonder, Cortona  is selling better in this community even though it cost $250K+ more. Besides that, in Cortona, you get real single family detached homes without motorcourt driveways. I would definitely buy a Cortona or Toscana, but NOT a Siena or San Remo.

Patrick J. Star said:
I get all the reasons why some people want to buy in Irvine, I won't dispute that.  But if you are going to spend your money in Irvine, why waste it on this new crap?  There are SO MANY nice existing neighborhoods in Irvine.  So many.  And you get so much more for your money.  I just can't for the life of me figure out why it is so important to buy brand new?  And don't say its because "Asians only like new homes".  How can you explain the mothership that is San Marino? Or Arcadia? Or anywhere else in the 626.  And don't say "its so much hassle to remodel".  Believe me, I bought a 1997 home that I did all kind of renovations to after closing.  Yeah, it took a month before we moved in --- but that month is a lot less time than waiting for something new to be built.  And then I had a house that was not only all new, but also all the good things that come with older.

Please help me understand.  How could you go to an open house in Quail Hill, or Northwood Pointe, or Northpark, or Turtle Ridge and then come back and say "yeah, that Laguna Altura beats this".  I just don't get it?
I can kind of answer your question... at least for SFRs... there really isn't a price/size comparable house in QH that is readily available compared to Cortona. It gets closer when you factor in MRs and HOAs... but it's not like you see a ton of SFRs available in QH for sub $1mil.

But other than that... everything else about LA is inferior to QH.

Extortion and bribery pending? Typical Asian cheat on taxes. Sounds like by April 15th you will know?

socalquest said:
irvinehomeowner said:
No such thing as an FCB... at least that's what I was told in 2008.

Are you sure? I'll be one of them very soon, perhaps middle of next month if my finances are ready, but I'm not a foreigner though. ;)

Patrick J. Star said:
Please help me understand.  How could you go to an open house in Quail Hill, or Northwood Pointe, or Northpark, or Turtle Ridge and then come back and say "yeah, that Laguna Altura beats this".  I just don't get it?

I believe a new Cortona on a per square foot price currently is still cheaper than a Quail Hill secondhand comparible.

socalquest said:
Patrick J. Star said:

I believe a new Cortona on a per square foot price currently is still cheaper than a Quail Hill secondhand comparible.
Is that after you factor in for upgrades, landscaping, and higher HOA & Mello Roos?  Just like with cars, not many people buy the "base" model with no upgrades.  ;)

Patrick J. Star said:

You don't get Chinese culture, especially those with money. They don't like to DIY and that's why Home Depot failed in China. They prefer new over old, or any housing that requires some fixing or updates.

There are usually home buying seminars in China showcasing oversea properties, like Laguna Altura. FCBs have limited time touring the houses when visiting the States and it is much more easier to buy readily available new constructions. You cannot just go to Northwood Pointe on any random Saturday, find a house with the floorplan and location that you like, in move-in condition with all the right upgrades, and buy it right away.

Chinese like to showboat their new found riches. Price itself is a premium feature in real estate. Native Chinese won't know the difference between Portola Springs, Stonegate and Laguna Altura. But they would understand the universal language - Laguna Altura costs more $$$ than the others so it must be good.

When KFC opened its doors in Beijing in 1987, at a time an meal cost more than one month salary of an average Chinese worker, it received crazy receptions - the lines were backed to 1.5 km long, and it became the top wedding reception spot for young Chinese couples. This is one of the countless examples that Chinese with money do not care about fundamental value; they just want something new, different and costly.

Below is what TIC can do to make Chinese FCB drool over Laguna Altura even more:
1. Build a Chinese themed pocket park - like a pond with Lotus flowers and bamboo surroundings.
2. Upgrade the wall outside Cortona, right after the impressive gate entrance, to look like "Great Wall". So the Great Wall of Laguna Altura will be the welcoming feature for these Chinese FCBs coming home.
3. Come up with a nice alternative name in Chinese for Laguna Altura, and have this new name engraved as part of village sign so it is clear this is their home.

The Motor Court Company said:
2. Upgrade the wall outside Cortona, right after the impressive gate entrance, to look like "Great Wall". So the Great Wall of Laguna Altura...

This is what I call a solution. If they did mock Mongolian invasions lead by an actor playing Genghis Khan, launching rocks, and arrows against the wall, that would be even better. Best solution suggested thus far for adding value to Laguna Altura.

Visited Laguna Altura again this weekend after a couple months. It looks like for each of the 4 tracts, only around 2 phases have closed escrow and have residents. This is pathetic considering it opened in last May and the foot traffic is quite decent. There is so much road noise from the 133 at the center park area near Toscana model homes. It does feel tranquil if you are deaf.

The new park being built is nice as it got nice views. At the cul-de-sec near Sienna there is a great view of the 1700+ apartment development at former Wild Rivers. I wonder if the TIC marketing machine can think something out of this.

Reactions: lnc
Oh yeah... I was so high on Laguna Crossings... until I saw the floorplans at Stonegate which I had a feeling they would bring over there... and then the price points and HOA and not-so-good neighborhood layout... bleh.

But I still like Cortona Plan 2... but not for that price... however, I will buy it with the Indie $200k discount... even with the freeway toxicity.

How TIC screwed it up:
1. Greed
-stole from IHO in a much older thread
the original layout is so much better
idr4ti.jpg

$5k mello-roos, $300 HOA/month don't help either.

2. Timing
Should not have started this development along with Stonegate which offers the same housing with much lower price points.

3. Innovation in the wrong areas
"Coastal Canyon" is clever, but the innovation should be in floor-plans and home features such as Wok kitchen, built-in lotus toilet seats, mahjong room and underground cellars.

irvinehomeowner said:
But I still like Cortona Plan 2... but not for that price... however, I will buy it with the Indie $200k discount... even with the freeway toxicity.

There is nothing that can solve slow sales better than a change in price.

Lowering prices is a threat to the brand perception. Consumers' biggest fear is buying now and price depreciates tomorrow. TIC will offer free upgrades or cash back before letting prices drop.

Back