LA Times: Post-affirmative action, Asian American families are more stressed than ever about college admissions

Can you elaborate on this?
In the course of my education I attended 3 schools starting and ending with USC. Getting socially connected, even within the Greek system, was an order of magnitude more challenging at USC than the other 2 universities if you weren't from Newport or PV. You learn EQ real quick if you want to have any type of social life. USC is where I learned to compete above my pay grade if you know what i mean, and I found those social skills and aggressive mentality to be valuable and not too common in the large tech company I spent most of my career with.

While reading the article, the theme song to "Sky Castle" suddenly started ringing in my ear. ;p

In the course of my education I attended 3 schools starting and ending with USC. Getting socially connected, even within the Greek system, was an order of magnitude more challenging at USC than the other 2 universities if you weren't from Newport or PV. You learn EQ real quick if you want to have any type of social life. USC is where I learned to compete above my pay grade if you know what i mean, and I found those social skills and aggressive mentality to be valuable and not too common in the large tech company I spent most of my career with.
I was an Asian kid (Philipino) and from PV but I was lucky enough to be the youngest of 6 kids (Five older sisters). We were a house divided. 3 went to SC and 2 went to UCLA. All active sorority girls and I took full advantage of the Greek system at both schools when I was in High school. I was accepted at both schools and chose UCLA because of the CS department. Being socially active was not as difficult as it was a problem. I suppose that skill carried over into what I do now as much as my technical background.🤷🏽‍♂️😂😂😂

I don't think that's right either.

So that means you're really a caucasian... not part-asian.
Both parents are Flip…I actually qualify at total Asian. UCLA listed me as a minority my freshman year but inexplicably kicked Flips out by my junior year telling us we were considered “at parity” 🤷🏽‍♂️😂😂😂

Last edited:
This brings back memories. I was in Boracay (Philippines) back in 2007, at Station 2 there was a guy who was running a beach front internet café. He sat in the air conditioned office (playing video games) and hired 2 pretty girls working the front, dressed in beachwear.

I just looked at him and said "dude I want to be like you". He chuckled.

Thankfully I didn't actually go open a PC Bang there. The island suffered pre-COVID closures, COVID closures, and with everyone using Smart phones today & wifi at the resort, who needs to go to an internet café to check their email...

my cousin opened the first resort hotel there, the Pink Patio. Used to go there all the time, it’s a little slice of paradise with powdery, white sand beaches, cheap drinks, and great bars and disco. There is a bar there that if you drink 13 different shots in an hour you got a T-shirt, I still have that T-shirt. 🍻😂😂😂They kind of overdeveloped it now.

my cousin opened the first resort hotel there, the Pink Patio. Used to go there all the time, it’s a little slice of paradise with powdery, white sand beaches, cheap drinks, and great bars and disco. There is a bar there that if you drink 13 different shots in an hour you got a T-shirt, I still have that T-shirt. 🍻😂😂😂They kind of overdeveloped it now.

That powdery white sand beach is nice because they have resort employees raking them for sharp corals daily. :D

Back