LA Fitness - Woodbury

hopia_IHB

The new LA Fitness gym at Woodbury opened today. I checked it out and it seems nice and clean - probably because it just opened. Heard the whole sales spiel about best this and newest that. But I wanted to see if anyone here had any insight or recommendations on the LA Fitness chain, other big gym chains, or nearby smaller gyms.

Thanks.

What type of workout do you like? I'm heavy into kickboxing and like No Limits MMA (mixed martial arts) off of Barranca (the old Staples lot). It's not a typical gym of weights (they have some) and circuit machines, but more Kickboxing, jujitsu, boxing, etc. I like using the heavy bags, actually hitting and kicking the bags rather than "shadow" kickboxing at a lot of other clubs. I'm glad I found this place when Bodies in Motion at the Spectrum went bellyup. Way better and more of what I'm looking for in a good cardio.

They have ultimate fighter style cages to train local UFC competitors.

bbgum, how much are the programs there? Been reading up on the No limits, looks like somthing I need to get lean again, was in tae kwon do in my teens, trying to get back in shape.....

<p>bg - And can you work out there without getting hit?</p>

<p>A question for y'all; Are there any gyms that you can join for a monthly fee instead of the whole initiation and three year contract type of thang?</p>

awgee, I made it into LA fitness on a one club membership with no contract and no sign-up. I don't know if the manager was cutting me a special deal or not (introduced by a friend of a friend). Might be worth a try.

BG, Thanks for the info. I myself am interested in LAF's basketball court, pilates classes and aero equipment (maybe spin classes too). Martial arts is not really my thing (except on Xbox), but my fiancee would be interested in boxing. I'll let her know about No Limits.

Awgee, LAF isn't requiring a fixed contract, so it's a month-to-month deal (with 30 day notice period for termination). They are charging a $149 one-time reg fee when you sign up (supposedly per person, but they'll waive it for family members if they sign up with you).

Effen, that's a great deal. The only thing that held me back was LAF would not waive their reg fee. I am comparing it to the deal I can get at work (corporate plan) with 24 hour fitness, and 24 has no reg fee, no fixed-term contract and a lower monthly. If LAF would have negotiated with me on the reg fee, I would have signed up there and then.

I am a long-time member of 24 hour fitness, and I just recently upgraded to join the facility at the spectrum. It is a great facility. I am past my days of grungy gyms and hardcore workouts. If you want a pleasant, clean environment for keeping in shape, the Spectrum 24 hour fitness is great.

I haven't seen the new LA Fitness.

There's differing levels of classes, but the Muay Thai Kickboxing, boxing and basic gym membership is around 69 or 79 a month. Best thing is try a week (ask for week and a half) trial. You'll be swore so plan that into your trial schedule. Prices go up if your into competitive Muay Thai, Jujitsu, etc. There are for the more "serious" workouts where you need mouthgards, headgear, etc and practice sparring within the boxing ring.

<p>

Awgee, you can work out without getting hit, but since their routines change daily sometimes you practice on a Muay Thai competitor or UFC fighter. You get to practice hitting them and they practice rolling the punches. Other times you practice slowly punching against each other, but it's not like you're going full throttle. More like 1/4 speed so that you don't hit your partner. Of course, sometimes it's all bag work. Because the routines change often, and they are real Muay Thai fighters tthat are teaching the classes, it's a whole lot better than some "certified trainer" at a "club" trying to show people how to kickbox in front of a mirror. there's no replacement for actually hitting the 70lb bag and being able to actually properly use your body weight against it.

<p>

LA fitness does a lot of month to month memberships, that's one of their selling points in flexibility.

<p>awgee - hubby and I belong to 24-hr fitness. You can negotiate some good deals with them. They are all over the place - there's one outside of CDC that would be convenient for you. It's great for my husband because he travels all over the west coast - and he can usually walk to a gym from all of his hotels. </p>

<p>Plus, you can workout there without getting hit. LOL </p>

<p>IR, we haven't upgraded to the new gym at the Spectrum - but we've been through it and it is really nice. We would have joined, but it isn't that convenient for us since we live in the Turtle Ridge area. I like how they have the individual TVs for the cardio equipment. Your time sure does fly by when you have your own TV to watch. </p>

<p> </p>

bubblegum,

do you mind if i ask how much annual membership is at no limits? i've been going to a boxing gym for the past few years. i enjoy it for the cardio workout. no limits is just down the street from work so it'd be ideal place.

edit: nm saw the above post where you mentioned pricing. good info, i'll check it out.

<p>My wife and I used to be members of LA Fitness. Not a bad gym, the usual sleazy salespeople, though. They used to give you a much better deal if you pay for a year in advance, instead of month-to-month. They also gave me a big price break when I renewed for a second year and paid up front again.</p>

<p>DO NOT go to the LA Fitness near the Irvine/Tustin Marketplace unless you like insane crowds. It's a very nice facility, though, and I would suspect the new one will be nice as well.</p>

That LA Fitness is indeed very crowded. The trick is to go after 9PM (if you can). The daycare closes up and the mommies/daddies have to bail. The gym thins very quickly after 9.

IR - Maybe I am confused, (so what's new). Is the Spectrum the facility on the southwest quadrant of the 405/Von Karmen crossing?

<em>"Is the Spectrum the facility on the southwest quadrant of the 405/Von Karmen crossing?"</em>

No, that one is their flagship facility. They just opened a new gym at the Irvine Spectrum. It occupies the space of an old gym near the food court.

I was a member of Bodies in Motion (the old gym that went out of business before 24Hr opened in the Spectrum mall. They had a huge climbing wall that nobody EVER used (and I was there like every single day). The also had a gigantic fish tank at the front desk with a shark, and the best-equipped child care area I have ever seen. There was a fountain at the base of the stairs that they never turned on, and the hot tub in the women's locker room was always broken. The showers were phenomenal, the locker room beautiful, the equipment pretty good, and a friend of mine loved their kickboxing classes. Their personal trainers were kind of lame, though. I wasn't surprised they folded.

<p>Girls,</p>

<p>I was a long time member of 24 Hr then switched to Total Woman--absolutely like it there. The spa area and locker rooms are totally luxurious. There is a steam room. There are more group excercise classes than 24 Hr's. The best part is there is no long-term contract to sign.</p>

Boyfriend went last night to the new LA. $149 to join and $29 a month. If I join we share the $149 which is nice but each pay the $29.

Lounging around on the comfy chairs right in front of the new LA at Woodbury tonight and one of the sales dudes came out and asked if we had checked it out yet...when we said no he handed us two 7 day passes and said now you can, and then turned around and walked back in LAF. Thought that was a nice sales touch, contrary to what I expect from those guys. I'll definitely be back to try it out. Maybe he figured it was a good time to make a sales move on us -- since we were stuffing ourselves full of that Italian ice cream from right next door. That's some good stuff....

Back